Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lizard Wizard posted:

I recently got back into FF14, and an early quest tasked me with surveying townspeople to find out the most popular color of dress.

:stare:

You should have seen things during the Year of the Cock event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ekster posted:

it's true

once i discovered that black jeans exist, it was like ~a whole new wooooooorld~

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I haven't really been following Shovel Knight's recent development but they're adding a cosmetic option to swap the genders of all the main characters, which only further cements my love of Yacht CLub Games since it's both cute as heck and making a bunch of stupid assholes really, really mad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My favorite thing is how they mention missteps with previous projects, which is both a diss on Wayforward's creepy tendencies and infuriating to people who raged out when Double Dragon Neon and other games the Yacht Club team worked on were criticized for some sexist elements. Whoops, turns out they agreed with Anita Sarkeesian and you got mad over nothing!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

My favorite thing is how they mention missteps with previous projects, which is both a diss on Wayforward's creepy tendencies and infuriating to people who raged out when Double Dragon Neon and other games the Yacht Club team worked on were criticized for some sexist elements. Whoops, turns out they agreed with Anita Sarkeesian and you got mad over nothing!

No offense but I feel like you may be extrapolating and projecting a bit

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

No offense but I feel like you may be extrapolating and projecting a bit

Probably!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
well i finished fallout 4 and now I'm playing assassins creed syndicate

gameing in 2017 is good 😌

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Guy Mann posted:

and making a bunch of stupid assholes really, really mad.

[citation needed]

the comments seem really positive on it

edit: I really dislike this weird culture of "ha ha it'll make people MAD" like who gives a poo poo if some random people get mad that shovel knight is a girl, is being able to point and laugh at people really that important to you

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Like is there any direction at all? Are you meant to run around blindly or are there quest markers?

Here's some vague explanations of how the game guides you to your main objectives:

There are 3 main plot quests. The only one you theoretically absolutely have to do to beat the game is DEFEAT GANON. You get this right away when you leave the plateau, it points you to Hyrule castle and that's it. Presumably if you're determined enough you could wade through everything one shotting you and get it done with nothing else.

The second main quest at least starts off telling you where to go. I haven't progressed much in it yet but it adds a handful of markers to your map and says go investigate here.

The third one is a lot more open ended. It leads you to a few places to get some more information but after that it's up to you to piece together clues and figure it out.

Overall it's very cool. I try not to be hyperbolic about it but to answer Harrow's question earlier, what I feel is most distinctive about this game that it does even better than the Witcher 3 is the sheer variety of the geography. In the Witcher 3 many of the between areas blend together. In BOTW even when you're just traveling through an area with not much in it it looks distinct and unique. There are so many different climates and environments represented and insanely huge structures, it's crazy. Dunno if it's the best open world game ever but it's definitely a very impressive one.

Also the combat is really good and unquestionably way better than the Witcher 3. Witcher 3 still wins out on story and quests though I'm sure.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I kind of like Wayforward's cheesecake :shobon: Maybe I just really like their art a lot, both Shantae and the remastered Ducktales looks so good to me. That being said it's also cool what Yacht Club Games is doing. It's cool that they went the extra step to do the thing where you can chang the pronouns independently of the gender of the characters.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

has anyone played both Horizon and Zelda? Honestly I want to play/try both but idk where the biggest differences are. I haven't played any open world adventures since Witcher 3 so I'm fresh for the experience. The only things I know probably differ in Zelda are climbing virtually anything, weapon durability, a parachute, more sparse story, 100 little temples to upgrade your poo poo.

I played Horizon for a few days before Zelda came out and now that I've played BOTW I probably won't touch Horizon until I'm done with Zelda.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

CJacobs posted:

[citation needed]

the comments seem really positive on it

edit: I really dislike this weird culture of "ha ha it'll make people MAD" like who gives a poo poo if some random people get mad that shovel knight is a girl, is being able to point and laugh at people really that important to you

I mean it's the same instinct that makes people watch nazi punch gifs, someone with abhorrent patriarchal views feeling bad is sort of fun when historically it wasn't always that way. Third act of Get Out was really satisfying for similar reasons even though that one is fictional.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Guy Mann posted:

I haven't really been following Shovel Knight's recent development but they're adding a cosmetic option to swap the genders of all the main characters, which only further cements my love of Yacht CLub Games since it's both cute as heck and making a bunch of stupid assholes really, really mad.

This mode is definitely already in the Switch version, I swapped them all this morning. It's really impressive how they've rewritten a lot of the dialogue a lot further than just swapping pronouns to account for things like rhyming and visual flair being different, and the new sprites are great.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

inferis posted:

I mean it's the same instinct that makes people watch nazi punch gifs, someone with abhorrent patriarchal views feeling bad is sort of fun when historically it wasn't always that way. Third act of Get Out was really satisfying for similar reasons even though that one is fictional.

Alternatively you end up getting mad at people who don't exist and shouting into the void about how nothing is changing when things clearly are as is the case very often on this site. I dunno, maybe I'm just tired of all the "yeah, take that, people who can't hear my 'take that'" that goes on around here

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Alternatively you end up getting mad at people who don't exist and shouting into the void about how nothing is changing when things clearly are as is the case very often on this site

I guess, but a lot of times it's a response to the idea that oppressed groups should be more grateful for incremental progress and stop pushing for more.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maybe so. I just think it's pointless to even care about what those people think in that case.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I kind of like Wayforward's cheesecake :shobon: Maybe I just really like their art a lot, both Shantae and the remastered Ducktales looks so good to me. That being said it's also cool what Yacht Club Games is doing. It's cool that they went the extra step to do the thing where you can chang the pronouns independently of the gender of the characters.

I love shantae's 3d boobpop

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

MinibarMatchman posted:

what might happen if you played Bloodborne, which was also mainly 30fps with occasional quick lapses.

I was always amused at the drops in Bloodborne because the only ones I saw were loading framing. I'd walk into a short empty hallway leading into a small room with the bonfire and BOOM 8 FPS for three straight seconds.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Is there any way to attach a wrist strap to the switch itself? I'm a clumsy idiot and don't want to drop it on the floor of the bus or something.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Andrast posted:

I played Horizon for a few days before Zelda came out and now that I've played BOTW I probably won't touch Horizon until I'm done with Zelda.

Same

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In Horizon I just fought a Thunderjaw and man, that was really fun

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

I agree and have tried to make that point a few times, usually with the result that they just go "ha ha you're so mad that I'm mad" and it's like... no... dude... or dudette... that's not what's happening...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think it's funny when idiots get mad at stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sure, but that's not quite the same as what I'm saying. CJacobs said it better, but I didn't see this post before I typed mine:

CJacobs posted:

Alternatively you end up getting mad at people who don't exist and shouting into the void about how nothing is changing when things clearly are as is the case very often on this site. I dunno, maybe I'm just tired of all the "yeah, take that, people who can't hear my 'take that'" that goes on around here

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think it's less of a "take that, people who can't hear my 'take that'," more of a "I would like to communicate my pleasure, knowing that idiots are angry". As to whether those angry idiots exist, they certainly do

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like shantae, i like the art in shantae and i like shovel knight and i like the art and gender options in shovel knight.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You monster!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I honestly did not expect Horizon to be as goon praised as it's been to the degree where it's at least Benning competed not unfavorably to the new Zelda. That does make me happy because I did think it looked cool, I just have to much on plate right now. I do really look forward to getting to it though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think I actually liked Shantae Pirates Curse more than Shovel Knight (not that it was bad or anything).

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Yeah I was pretty down on Horizon before release cause of the developers track record, but I'm glad to hear I was wrong. I'll have to pick it up after finishing Persona 5.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wish shantae: half-genie hero had been as good as pirate's curse but drat if it isn't one of the prettiest 2d platformers released recently

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope Horizon does well and that they figure out that a lot of the reason people are loving it (this guy included) is that they actually held back on the hype and even a lot of basic information. A lot of what makes it so good is the genuine sense of exploration and discovery of the world. Been a real long time since I can say a game surprised me so often and so dramatically.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

i wish shantae: half-genie hero had been as good as pirate's curse but drat if it isn't one of the prettiest 2d platformers released recently

Im hoping risky mode is just those levels with Pirates Curse movement because it would be fun to speed run.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's good and important to make people with regressive opinions mad and then laugh at them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

precision posted:

I hope Horizon does well and that they figure out that a lot of the reason people are loving it (this guy included) is that they actually held back on the hype and even a lot of basic information. A lot of what makes it so good is the genuine sense of exploration and discovery of the world. Been a real long time since I can say a game surprised me so often and so dramatically.

I remember that my expectations dipped pretty low when everyone was posting Brom's scene but that honestly is the worst of it and a major outlier. The storytelling doesn't dominate your time, except maybe at the very beginning, and the rest of it that I've run into so far has actually kept me really interested.

It's what gives me hope that the dozen gifs and YouTube clips of Mass Effect Andromeda that we're all ragging on are actually just isolated incidents!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

Im hoping risky mode is just those levels with Pirates Curse movement because it would be fun to speed run.

Apparently she's getting a bunch of custom content so the levels won't be entirely the same even if they largely are. I'm kind of more interested in finding out how Sky or Bolo are going to play though.

Hardcore mode sounds really good but I hope they end up adding it for all of the playable characters and not just basic Shantae.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's good and important to make people with regressive opinions mad and then laugh at them

It's much easier and better for your blood pressure to just not give a poo poo about them, you should try it!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CJacobs posted:

It's much easier and better for your blood pressure to just not give a poo poo about them, you should try it!

we should just ignore bad things and assume they can't have an effect on culture

*America looks into the camera, The Office-style*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

precision posted:

There was quite a lot of info about this game if you looked for it. 20-minute continuous gameplay videos, interviews with the developers, hands-on impressions from game journos. They didn't exactly spoil everything but the full marketing thrust of Sony was behind this one, they expect it to sell 6-8 million copies which is pretty unheard of for a new IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah it felt like Sony was pushing Horizon pretty hard

• Locked thread