Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
It's amazing that anyone on the Raptors roster actually shows up to a home game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

To whom could he be referring

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Hand Row posted:

I didn't know anyone was still positive about Embiids future health and could boil it down to landing properly.

If it wasn't a meniscus tear that was aggravated by poor management decision, I'd be a lot more negative.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

Canada is cold.

Don't players hate Canada for tax reasons too?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

All the young guys used to live right beside the ACC so they could get to the arena without going outside.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How much more security and paperwork do they have to do since they technically live in another country? That can factor in as well.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

I really don't see this happening. Players are not going to want to live in Mexico.

How is living in Mexico any different than say playing and living in a Turkish, Russian or Chinese league?

Hell, I'd think it's better.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
I'm pretty sure players don't want to live in lame cities in the US like Cleveland or Orlando or Boston. But they do it. The same thing will happen if you put a team in Mexico City with the players that don't want to live there.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Artic Puma posted:

I'm pretty sure players don't want to live in lame cities in the US like Cleveland or Orlando or Boston. But they do it. The same thing will happen if you put a team in Mexico City with the players that don't want to live there.

Hey I'm not even a millionaire and I don't want to live in those lame cities.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Toronto is no colder than about a half dozen other NBA cities; the whole "players don't want to live there!" thing is way overblown. As for Mexico City, it's a tropical climate, and it's not like young athletes making millions of dollars to play there would live anywhere near the slums or have to worry about drug cartel violence, so I don't see a real problem with that either.

Most people would live in an igloo at the north pole if you gave them an NBA minimum contract.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Libertine posted:

76ers move to Mexico and Trump builds the wall with nothing but 7-foot tall prospects.

And then a stiff breeze comes through and all their feet break.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The B_36 posted:

Most people would live in an igloo at the north pole if you gave them an NBA minimum contract.

I dunno I think most people would have issues with living on what is essentially an oversized iceberg.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Going to be interesting to see what the Mavs do after next season to keep Seth Curry and Yogi. I have a feeling Matthews may be traded next year.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's gonna be crazy when the Mexico City Thunder beat the Virginia Beach Raptors in the 2026 NBA finals

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's gonna be crazy when the Mexico City Thunder beat the Virginia Beach Raptors in the 2026 NBA finals

Why would 40-year old Lebron bother signing with Mexico City?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
We put a team in beautiful not cold but rainy shithole Vancouver and that didn't go over too well.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mexico is way more a "foreign" place than Canada and one of the perks of being in the nba is that you get to live in a place where everyone speaks the language you did growing up rather than playing pro ball in China. I agree that Mexico City rules but it's pretty goddamn low on my list of places I'd want to live and work.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Paul Zuvella posted:

Mexico is way more a "foreign" place than Canada and one of the perks of being in the nba is that you get to live in a place where everyone speaks the language you did growing up rather than playing pro ball in China. I agree that Mexico City rules but it's pretty goddamn low on my list of places I'd want to live and work.

What if I offered you $13 million/year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Don't players hate Canada for tax reasons too?

The NBA adjusts players salary to cover Canadian taxes.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q78

TBeats posted:

What if I offered you $13 million/year.

What if there was a counter from LA for $11 million a year? That's the advantage problem.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Paul Zuvella posted:

That is not why people pick the NBA over China.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I moved to Portland from Virginia Beach before it would have happened, but I would have been thrilled if the Kings had ended up moving there. That area deserves a pro team.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is not why people pick the NBA over China.

No one, ever has "picked" the nba over China. You play in China because you have to, not because you want to. Gonna be the same with Mexico City. You play there because you have to, not because you want to.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Lockback posted:

The NBA adjusts players salary to cover Canadian taxes.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q78

What if there was a counter from LA for $11 million a year? That's the advantage problem.

California state taxes suck rear end so I would probably still pick Mexico City.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I will fight you fuckin' gringos for bad mouthing Tenochtitlan so help me Quetzalcoatl!!!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I will fight you fuckin' gringos for bad mouthing Tenochtitlan so help me Quetzalcoatl!!!

I definitely recognize one of those proper nouns as a guardian force from final fantasy viii

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

No one, ever has "picked" the nba over China. You play in China because you have to, not because you want to. Gonna be the same with Mexico City. You play there because you have to, not because you want to.

Which you could say about essentially every team in the NBA at some point or another. Nobody is taking a pay cut right now to play in LA or Miami despite their warm climates, familiarity to American born players, and party type atmospheres that are attractive to young millionaires. Players go where the most money is 90% of the time, and most of the rest of the time they go to whatever team in whatever city has the best chance to be competitive. If players are clamoring right now to get to the hell hole that is Cleveland because they're a title favourite, then they'd do the same for any city anywhere else.

Hell, Mexico City could even be seen as a preferred destination, as it must be easier to get away with some of the..."less than legal" stuff that young rich guys like to partake in while living in Mexico City than it would be in Boston or Orlando.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Cmon playing in Mexico City ain't even remotely similar to having to play in China

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It'd be like any other city that isn't ideal. If you can get one great player to buy in and sell other players on it they could make it work. They would have to be smart about who they draft and they wouldn't get some free agents but it's doable.

Mexico's way less likely for the NFL just because of the number of players involved.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 4, 2017

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

This may be a really old and white question, but is Mexico City still really loving dangerous or has it cooled out there?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

straight up brolic posted:

Mexico City is extremely lit and they would never lose a home game once they got a decent team together

Can't wait for the Mexico City fans to party outside their opponents hotel at 3AM

And to throw bags of piss at visiting fans

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Mandrel posted:

This may be a really old and white question, but is Mexico City still really loving dangerous or has it cooled out there?

During the cartel wars Mexico DF, or should I say the, the Mexican state of Mexico City formerly known as Mexico Federal District, wasn't really that dangerous, because it's the capitol and they had it locked down. It's also not on any smuggling route, so it's only territory in that there are customers to sell drugs to there, and that's small potaters. It's reasonably safe.

But the caveat would be that 7 foot tall millionaires would be incredibly tempting kidnap victims, or easy to follow home for the kidnapping of their kids and family.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 4, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

For instance, the soccer players in Naples have a much greater danger than those that play in Mexico City

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I'm all in favor of a Mexico City team, anything to make the SW division easier for a little while anyway.

I listened to that Daryl Morey/Zach Lowe podcast:
- His biggest draft regret is Dorsey over Jordan. Also regrets not drafting Jokic (duh).
- He thinks pre-draft player interviews suck, and just hopes the Rockets are less bad at them than everone else.
- He talked about the post-Yao years and it's kind of interesting. Apparently they kept an internal ranking of who they thought had the biggest chance of becoming an "all-star quality" player and their best, according to their own ranking, was Kyle Lowry with about a 1 in 4 chance. After that it was Marcus Morris (!) and some guy he wouldn't name.
- Thought the D'Antoni Suns were a championship quality team. Apparently D'Antoni was in a bit of a slump mentally until the Warriors won the title and a bunch of Sloan sports nerds told him to keep chucking.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 5, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Toronto is really Anglo that's true

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Rockets always fascinate me in having both Dragic and Lowry at the same time at one point and ended up with Beverley.

This is a weird question, what team had the most max contracts when they left the team?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

zelah posted:

So what do you want it to be? I'm real okay with both teams dicking around having fun. They're competing the rest of the season

I want to see basic defense. Doesn't have to be playoff defense even or even regular season big game prime time D. Don't want to have guys get a dumb injury playing game 7 finals level defense etc.

Papercut posted:

That's been the case for at least a few years now

They used to play real D in the fourth quarter and then it turned into like the last half of the fourth quarter. Now nothing.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

No one has ever tried hard in the all-star game, ever.

Back when the ASG was real:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck0hzpztkTc&t=38s

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ingram is flirting with being the worst shooter this year.

They've stolen GSWs game plan and have improved upon it by having a ton of decent 3P shooters rather than being top heavy with just a couple.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

It helps that LeBron is having another killer 3p shooting year. Him becoming a 35-40 shooter in the last few years is amazing. I'm pretty curious to see how he'll play when he's really old

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/status/838170671737933824

Deron about to get some on the job training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

O the other thing from the Morey interview was that he regretted that the Rockets nicknamed Marc Gasol Manboobs when doing draft evaluations.

Apparently there's a whole story behind this, I didn't see it posted here: http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/28/rockets-nicknamed-marc-gasol-man-boobs-in-2007-were-discouraged-from-drafting-him/

• Locked thread