Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my new office is outstandingly cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Home office supremacy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Home office supremacy

how else can you have a dog and a cat on your conference call

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PierreTheMime posted:

mid 6? im coming from a relatively cheap housing area so the costs are way up but its slightly less than double my current

take a long & hard look at the apartment you'll be able to afford on your inflated salary and a long & hard look at your commute and ask yourself if it'll be worth it.

imo the only way that poo poo would be worth it to me is if they were slapping heavy rear end golden cuffs on me. if it's a contract position they better be paying you some big-rear end figgies

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

hobbesmaster posted:

how else can you have a dog and a cat on your conference call

very carefully

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I just turned 31 and I'm finally going to have my very own office, with a door, for the first time

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
we dont have offices but we dont have cubicles either

its cool being able to turn around, wheel over to my boss and start shooting the poo poo

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i found a nice cottage flat, with main door access, for really cheap

the area isnt great but its right next to the expressway, with about 6 different busses going along it into town. less than 10 minute by bus/car to city centre (the office too)

cheap enough that i could buy it now and pay the mortgage off in 5 years before i turn 30

only downside is there is someone living above

e; the idea being just get it paid off and then move it. either then sell this place and use as deposit for another place, or just keep the place and rent it out

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 4, 2017

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
other option is stay at home another year or two and save up and then buy a proper place

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Valeyard posted:

its cool being able to turn around, wheel over to my boss and start shooting the poo poo

your coworkers hate you

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
i work in an open office and an emergent policy is that if you've got something to discuss that goes beyond a few sentences, go to a meeting room.

see also: phonecalls

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

coffeetable posted:

your coworkers hate you

eh, we all talk. its nice actually looking forward to going into the office

whole office is open plan, guy talking next to you isnt bed when theres a guy across the floor thats loud as gently caress and annoying everyone

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i went from my own office with a door and a view of a courtyard to an open plan with coworkers in close proximity and i like my new one much better.

i feel like i'm more engaged and friendly with my coworkers and idk it's more relaxed. not sure i can describe it entirely but i like it :shrug:

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I keep my door closed as a microagression to those lower in the org chart than me

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you can keep your door open and be friendly when you want to and you can close it and concentrate when you need to. you're not forcibly interrupted by some idiots discussing a YouTube video. open offices are terrible for productivity.

coffeetable posted:

i work in an open office and an emergent policy is that if you've got something to discuss that goes beyond a few sentences, go to a meeting room.

see also: phonecalls

lmao. just admit failure.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
all these companies I'm talking with are all open office, and they pretend it's a selling point. if a recruiter mentions it I brush it off, but if a manager says it i grill them until they admit that basically everyone has to wear headphones to drown out the noise and get anything done.

I'm going to miss my office when I move.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I also enjoy having an office :ohdear:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Home office supremacy

yep. i actually prefer going to an office, but modern offices are so bad.

here's hoping i land one of the remote jobs i'm after.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i miss having an office but that's really just not A Thing anymore. 2/3rds or more of american office space has been converted to open-layout.

the only people left giving developers private offices are really, really weird

i don't want to work for fog creek for half the going salary in new york. i don't want to live in a frozen shithole and work for epic systems corporation in their faux barn campus.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

the only job i've had with an office was when i did GIS work at my family's old map store. and then it was just one of the bedrooms upstairs in the house we used for a store. lol.

my last job didn't even have cubes, it was just desks in a big ol' room, arranged all panopticon style.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i've got a cube with a door but we're moving to open plan in april

:rip:

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
I saw a job application that required five years of experience in React.JS 👍

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i like having an open office a lot but i dont ever have focus issues thanks to medication

also no one wants to talk to me cuz i'm weird

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

at my last internship (and the one before that) i had my own actual office with a door

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

thanks to my bose qc35s idgaf whether i work in a cube or open plan hell or w/e

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

LinYutang posted:

I saw a job application that required five years of experience in React.JS 👍

lmao

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

one of my co-interns was set up in a lone cubicle in a former reception lobby. worst of both worlds imo.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

zen death robot posted:

it's because you're a fundamentally lovely person

whoa

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

thanks to my bose qc35s idgaf whether i work in a cube or open plan hell or w/e

nope they're not enough for my office

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
sorry about your lovely coworkers

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

im eyeing up the sony 1000x to make being in the office bearable

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

all these companies I'm talking with are all open office, and they pretend it's a selling point. if a recruiter mentions it I brush it off, but if a manager says it i grill them until they admit that basically everyone has to wear headphones to drown out the noise and get anything done.

I'm going to miss my office when I move.

i was discussing this w/ the ceo the other day when he was considering either absorbing more of the floor we're on or switching buildings

our layout is large single and shared offices w/ doors and walls that are part glass facing the hallway. he was telling me that the cube farm was so popular b/c building management hates having to pay actual money and spend time retooling an office between leases

like hates hates it to the point that it's actually difficult to find a traditional layout that's not priced significantly above market. all high end stuff. and convincing a management company to switch back jumps your rent too

open layout is exactly the same as a cube farm to the building developer, of course - it's just that your boss didn't feel like shelling out money to set up cubes around the desks

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

leave your office door open to make more friends!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

BONGHITZ posted:

leave your office door open to make more friends!

im honestly at the point I'm going to start closing mine because coworkers don't understand when they are unwanted. im on a call for production and also doing dev poo poo while the coworker kramers in like "soooo what's up with the current season of the expanse?!" i don't even watch the show we've talked about this goddamn

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i always close my door for important calls that's what it's for

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the only thing more soul-sapping and dehumanizing than working in a cubicle or closed room would be working in an open plan office

either isolation and disconnection or constant chatter and paranoia

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i was discussing this w/ the ceo the other day when he was considering either absorbing more of the floor we're on or switching buildings

our layout is large single and shared offices w/ doors and walls that are part glass facing the hallway. he was telling me that the cube farm was so popular b/c building management hates having to pay actual money and spend time retooling an office between leases

like hates hates it to the point that it's actually difficult to find a traditional layout that's not priced significantly above market. all high end stuff. and convincing a management company to switch back jumps your rent too

open layout is exactly the same as a cube farm to the building developer, of course - it's just that your boss didn't feel like shelling out money to set up cubes around the desks

it's very obviously just a money saving move (less square footage per person), and the contortions that employers go through to justify it as anything else are insulting. the productivity hit they take moving to an open space more than eliminates the savings they get from the real estate, but it's not something you can quantify to accountants.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i got moved to like a half cube from an open plan after complaining about the open plan for months

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

not enough places realise that gearing up for remote working (technically and in terms of attitudes to sharing information) also makes leasing office space a lot easier, since you don't need to move everybody when you grow, you can have a few different locations in the same city and put different teams there. but nope, gotta have open plan so someone can overhear a mistake being made and intervene because somehow that's a long-term option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

PierreTheMime posted:

im honestly at the point I'm going to start closing mine because coworkers don't understand when they are unwanted. im on a call for production and also doing dev poo poo while the coworker kramers in like "soooo what's up with the current season of the expanse?!" i don't even watch the show we've talked about this goddamn

lol

• Locked thread