Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

The DC cabdrivers Association fought tooth and nail over the city mandating them take credit cards. This took place just before Uber came on the scene, so I guess they figured they were still and would always be the only game in town.

I travel for work a ton and anywhere outside of a major city or you can just walk in the street and hail a cab, Uber is a hundred percent better experience than trying to call a taxi company dispatcher and get them to send you a car. Uber could be twice as expensive as a traditional cab and I would still use it just for the convenience of being able to poke two or three buttons on my phone and then actually watch the cab get closer to my location, rather then having to call a dispatcher and hope the guy decides to show up.

Edit: DC also used to have a zone base fare system instead of meters. So every cab there is this fairly confusing map that broke the city into a bunch of little zones and every time you cross the zone boundary X amount of money got added to your fare. It seemed to only exist to gently caress over tourists, because as a local, standard procedure was to stick your head in the cab, tell the guy where you were are going, ask how much it would be, and then haggle them down from there.

Basically, Uber isn't taking business that used to go to cabs because Uber is great, it's taking business because the cabs are loving horrible and stagnant because of an entrenched business structure that refuses to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yea I would have no problem using cabs if they weren't so 1990's in their business practices. I want to be able to use a credit card, and it not be a pain in the dick, and I would like a ride in a vehicle that doesn't smell like a rancid armpit if at all possible.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Phy posted:

Why have I never heard of this, Collateral is one of my favourite movies

It is even better if you pretend it is a documentary about what confirmed-psychopath Tom Cruise does during his time off.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Slime posted:

Basically, Uber isn't taking business that used to go to cabs because Uber is great, it's taking business because the cabs are loving horrible and stagnant because of an entrenched business structure that refuses to change.

21. And it was in that time that the Pharaoh's tomb lay half-built, for he was locked in an intractable contract negotiation with the pyramid builders union.
22. And lo did the Pharaoh cry with a loud voice, "All my awesome animal head gods! I beseech thee for market disruption!"
23. Hearing this, the awesome gods took pity on poor pharaoh, and delivered unto him the jew slave.
24. For the god of the Hebrews heeded not their enslavement, being pre-occupied with smiting gay dolphins.
Exodus Ch. 12

(Not having a go at anyone in the conversation. This just popped in my head.)

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I buy $20 uber referrals for $4 and use them on uber eats so I hope they don't die any time soon.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

PallasAthene posted:

Another friend of mine from the air force caught a cab to her hotel when she was on vacation in Seattle for a week and the ride took long enough that she assumed he was driving in circles to up the fare, but the driver pretended he didn't understand English when she asked what was going on, so she called 911 and got hold of a Spanish speaker in case the driver did speak English, and told them what was happening and what the cross streets were and a few minutes later a cop pulled them over. Apparently the driver really didn't speak English other than hello and goodbye, and the cop didn't feel like it would be worth it to wait for a translator, so she just got a free ride to like 20 minutes away from her hotel and a cop to drive her home.

Well, Uber would never have that problem bec...

quote:

Taxi app Uber [UBER.UL] lost a court battle on Friday to stop a London regulator from imposing strict new English reading and writing standards on private hire drivers, the latest setback for the firm which could mean the loss of thousands of workers.

The company took legal action in August after public body Transport for London (TfL) said that drivers should have to prove their ability to communicate in English, including to a standard of reading and writing which Uber said was too high.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Uber also just had this news come out which cannot be good.

How Uber Used Secret Greyball Tool to Deceive Authorities Worldwide

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'd call it a wash. If you hate Uber, you're going to see them as duplicitous. If you like Uber, you see it as a reasonable precaution.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Goober Peas posted:

Cash Cab reruns are going to be on GSN in a few weeks :shrug:

I visited Sears again. I don't know what's worse - an unkempt store full of stuff to buy that you have to dig through (last visit) or a store that looks like someone forgot to order anything to sell (current visit).

How about an entire empty auto department that is apparently being staffed by someone but no one knows who or where they are?

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

How about an entire empty auto department that is apparently being staffed by someone but no one knows who or where they are?

good work if you can get it

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

It seemed to only exist to gently caress over tourists, because as a local, standard procedure was to stick your head in the cab, tell the guy where you were are going, ask how much it would be, and then haggle them down from there.

Things that gently caress over tourists are good, though. Locals only, maaaaaaan.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Sprint/Radioshack is closing more physical locations.

Now I no longer have a local place that deals with sprint :(

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Sprint customer support is catastrophically bad, so they're just doing you a favor.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Handsome Ralph posted:

quote:

In a statement, Uber said, “This program denies ride requests to users who are violating our terms of service ... or opponents who collude with officials on secret ‘stings’ meant to entrap drivers.”

So wait, are they blatantly admitting here that they actively interfere with law enforcement?

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

skull mask mcgee posted:

Sprint customer support is catastrophically bad, so they're just doing you a favor.

the people in this store handled things pretty well when you guided them with a strong hand

now it is back to arguing with phone support and not getting anywhere

dumb. posted:

So wait, are they blatantly admitting here that they actively interfere with law enforcement?

right to refuse service

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

skull mask mcgee posted:

Sprint is catastrophically bad, so they're just doing you a favor.
FTFY. They had the slowest drat data even as they swore up and down they were making it faster, and as far as I've heard, that hasn't changed. I wound up switching because there wasn't any point in paying for 'cheap' service when you can barely use it.

dumb. posted:

I think they're doing the idiot "entrapment is bad! ps. a cop catching me doing an illegal thing I was doing anyway is entrapment." thing.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
lol sure Uber may be a bit more unsafe OR a bit safer, but the fact of the matter is crime stats have no real bearing on which service I'll use and you're most likely a liar if you act like they do for you. Uber is easier to use than a taxi service that you have to loving call in for and that's why they've got as many users and drivers as they currently do.

Traditional taxi service - Decide you want taxi, search online for taxi service in that city, place phone call in to the taxi service.. Wait for the phone to pick up... wait... wait... Tell dispatcher you need a cab at such and such location, be told that the taxi will be there in 20 minutes, and then flip a coin to see if they are within 15 minutes of that window. After the ride, check wallet/purse and hope you've got the cash you need because the cab driver is going to act like you insulted his mother if you have to pay with a card.

Uber - open app, request ride, get ride, pay driver via the phone.

Uber does all sorts of terrible stuff but let's not act like their end product result isn't on-loving-point.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
In NYC you can swipe your credit card in the cab or just pay the dispatcher ahead of time. Sorry that you guys are posting from 1998 or something

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Swiping credit cards? You're one to talk about primitive technology.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Glenn Quebec posted:

In NYC you can swipe your credit card in the cab or just pay the dispatcher ahead of time. Sorry that you guys are posting from 1998 or something

Same in Chicago, but that doesn't stop cab drivers from huffing and puffing and asking if you have cash when you try.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Subjunctive posted:

Swiping credit cards? You're one to talk about primitive technology.

Shut up nerd

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I only use cabs that accept cryptocurrencies

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

maybe you guys should try carrying cash sometimes :shrug:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Carrion Luggage posted:

Sprint/Radioshack is closing more physical locations.

Now I no longer have a local place that deals with sprint :(

I always thought of sprint as the AOL of wireless carriers. Most people got started on it years ago but have since moved on to things that aren't stupid and awful.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alaois posted:

I would, but I left my cash in my parachute pants pocket with my cocaine and Rubik's cube.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Alaois posted:

Glenn Quebec posted:

Sorry that you guys are posting from 1998 or something

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Alaois posted:

Only poor people and drug dealers carry cash around.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Glenn Quebec posted:

Shut up nerd

The two of the last five times my debit card was swiped in a cab it was skimmed. Chip and pin you loving savage.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

vyst posted:

Only poor people and drug dealers carry cash around.

Nah, drug dealers use Bitcoins now.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

five years ago when rates were still pretty high it was totally viable to consider it a package service and not tip

now, like restaurants, the main transaction has become so lean that you're making a huge difference to your driver if you leave even an extra dollar or two, especially on a sub-$10 ride. if ceo john galt of uber cared about killing tipping culture like he claims, he would have kept rates higher. at this point he's just being petulant and obstinate about not letting passengers tip on their card.

there's plenty of lyft drivers out in my city 24/7; i deleted the uber app years ago cause i got sick of making sure I had a fiver on me before booking an Uber ride

Cactus Ghost has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Mar 5, 2017

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

BloodBag posted:

I always thought of sprint as the AOL of wireless carriers. Most people got started on it years ago but have since moved on to things that aren't stupid and awful.

but I am grandfathered on an unlimited data/talk/text plan for 50 a month

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought Uber automatically added a 20% tip to the end of your ride. Or is that only if you're using it for an actual cab?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

That's UberTaxi, if at all. Idk, ubertaxi got pulled in my market. It's definitely not true for the non-taxi ones.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh, I always thought it was across the board and never checked. Eh, not gonna start carrying cash to tip an Uber driver though. Thats like 90% of the reason I don't take cabs.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

dumb. posted:

Excuse me, it's called trade practices and if you don't like it why don't you form a multinational transportation corporation and do it yourself?

Tumble posted:

I don't give a gently caress about anything in society except my own personal convenience.

The techbro business model in a nutshell.

And what is it with nerds getting mad about tips?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Personally, I love tipping. I like over tipping (like 40-50%) for great service and just regular 20% for everything up to and including if they threw food at me in anger. I blame watching My Blue Heaven when I was young for my tipping habits.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

Personally, I love tipping. I like over tipping (like 40-50%) for great service and just regular 20% for everything up to and including if they threw food at me in anger. I blame watching My Blue Heaven when I was young for my tipping habits.

Better than looking to it for marriage advice I guess :v:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Solice Kirsk posted:

Same. I blame it on I heard enough stories from my dad about being a waiter when he was a teenager/young adult. I always do a minimum of $5 even if the bill works out to less than that to make 20%. I'm not a baroness or anything, if anything I just get what it's like to work a lovely job and how much it means when somebody passes a little extra dough your way. If I can afford a dinner out, I can afford to tip decently.

But this is probably goign to turn into a massive derail, isnt' it?

Companies circling the drain/that you thought already went all the way into the pipe- A few weeks ago I was walking through a store plaza around 7pm (so it was dark out) and went past a Radio Shack and almost jumped because there was a guy just standing there in the middle of it, the only visible thing on an otherwise very empty floor. Then I realized it wasn't even a real guy, it was a cardboard cutout of a guy they were using to promote some sale that was going on.

Poor Radio Shack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

But this is probably goign to turn into a massive derail, isnt' it?

*comes bursting through door, gasping for breath and covered in sweat, has to hold door frame to keep from collapsing*

Why ... *gasp* ... why should I ... *gasp* ... have to pay more for you ... *wheeeze* ... to do ... oh god my heart ... *puff puff* ... to do your job right?