Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

McSpanky posted:

Legion is now airing on Hulu, new episodes go up the Sunday after they run on FX. Not sure yet if they're doing live+5 or the whole show but since we're only four eps in now, good time to catch up either way!

This show is so drat good. And, like Lucifer, the further it strays from it's source material the better it has the potential to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

raditts posted:

How are branching paths more spectator friendly?

I feel like the players making decisions is inherently more spectator friendly than an unchanging course. Ninja Warrior has always felt very same-y from season to season, where the courses are extremely linear and tend to re-use a lot of the same pieces over and over. In Beastmaster everything revolves around earning points to move to the next round, and there are some small branching paths that have these side switches that earn you extra points if you take a harder route through a specific section. It adds a "Oh, he's going for the harder route!" kind of tension which is cool.

There is one "big" actual branching path in the third round where they either choose to go through the course like normal, or take a side path that offers three harder sections of the course instead. Completing a part of the course normally offers you 30 points, but for each of those three bonus sections you get 40. However, if you mess up in any of them, you lose 40 points. So when they reach that point in the course and choose the side path it really ramps up the stakes. If they mess up in the first section of the bonus it potentially wipes out their chances of winning immediately because not only did they not gain points, but they decreased their score by a significant chunk. That said, no contestant has gone down the other non-bonus path yet. It''s hard to get a sense how much easier the other half of that course is. It might not even be easier so much as you just don't run the risk of losing points.

Honestly, other than the final course problems that I mentioned, which are admittedly big, I think I like it better than American Ninja Warrior in many ways. I like the international feel of it, and I like the maze way better because it just feels like it has more interesting moving parts. There are a few sections where when you get on them they start sinking into the water so you have to move quick, they have things like platforms suspended by bungee cables, hanging treadmill platforms you have to jump between, and a vertical climb section where the parts are moving up and down so you have to time your jump when the distance between the two is the least vertical height. Lastly, while they focus on the contestants home lives and why you should care, it takes a back seat to the obstacle course. I'm kind of tired of the reality TV "everyone's story is inspiring" formula, and this dials that back a bit.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Superrodan posted:

I'm kind of tired of the reality TV "everyone's story is inspiring" formula, and this dials that back a bit.

I like ANW quite a bit, but I've always wondered if they've been quietly rejecting people that don't fit the inspiring underdog mold all this time or if they do have a plan for an eventual applicant who doesn't fit that paradigm. Like if someone with no background of illness, tragedy, poverty or same from immediate family and is already fit and well-trained applies and the producers just look at each other for a moment, nod and go "Yes. We've found our first heel."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
An ANW competitor should go in the opposite direction and instead give all the competitors crazy pro wrestler bombast and personas and have fun with it. I would much rather watch a bunch of happy and healthy athletes hamming it up and having a great time instead of Harry Hardluck and Sally Sobstory crying about the obstacles they overcame and the tragic figure in their past who motivates them for the zillionth time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

McSpanky posted:

I like ANW quite a bit, but I've always wondered if they've been quietly rejecting people that don't fit the inspiring underdog mold all this time or if they do have a plan for an eventual applicant who doesn't fit that paradigm. Like if someone with no background of illness, tragedy, poverty or same from immediate family and is already fit and well-trained applies and the producers just look at each other for a moment, nod and go "Yes. We've found our first heel."

The reality is that if they'll just make poo poo up if there is nothing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bring back old gbs posted:

Anybody watched The Arrangement yet? From the description it sounds like it could be up the same alley as Unreal.

EDIT: I read another description and threes a cult or something nvm. I thought it was about a struggling actress who gets a huge role then learns some shady underbelly poo poo, but without a cult.

The little advertising I've seen has given me the impression it's a kind of vague scientology parallel.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Superrodan posted:

There are a few sections where when you get on them they start sinking into the water so you have to move quick, they have things like platforms suspended by bungee cables, hanging treadmill platforms you have to jump between, and a vertical climb section where the parts are moving up and down so you have to time your jump when the distance between the two is the least vertical height.

Was this designed by/for a mustachioed plumber?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Taking the non-bonus path is a really bad idea. The next obstacle on the normal path is considerably harder than bungee beds, so you most likely won't get any more points. Unless you are in the lead by a considerable amount you kind of have to go the bonus route.

(It's kind of addicting to watch while playing games on the other screen.)

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

ynohtna posted:

Was this designed by/for a mustachioed plumber?

One of the first things in the first episode that one of the contestants says is "It's like a real life Super Mario Brothers." They seemed pretty happy about that fact, too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't realise that SS-GB had started airing on the BBC, anyone seen it and any thoughts so far?

I remember the book being pretty decent by airport espionage paperback standards.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 4, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

STAC Goat posted:

The little advertising I've seen has given me the impression it's a kind of vague scientology parallel.

Ohh yeah duhhh, that makes perfect sense. So they're going for like a Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes kinda thing

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guy Mann posted:

An ANW competitor should go in the opposite direction and instead give all the competitors crazy pro wrestler bombast and personas and have fun with it. I would much rather watch a bunch of happy and healthy athletes hamming it up and having a great time instead of Harry Hardluck and Sally Sobstory crying about the obstacles they overcame and the tragic figure in their past who motivates them for the zillionth time.

This sounds WAY better than spending 70% of the show on how sad these people's lives are because their entire family has canceraids and they have no job and they spent 17,000 hours in line for the audition. I don't fuckin' care, my life sucks too, that's why I watch tv. Give me weirdo hams/heels in crazy costumes to silly bombastic metal intros and trash talking and ridiculous bravado! ANW scratches the surface of that when they have a competitor that they can't do the standard reality sob story bullshit for sometimes, I agree that someone should just go full loving WWE on it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How about something like Wipeout but exclusively fat people? Or something more inspirational with disabled military vets could work while keeping it fun.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

How about something like Wipeout but exclusively fat people? Or something more inspirational with disabled military vets could work while keeping it fun.
Aren't there a lot of fat people on Wipeout already?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guy Mann posted:

I haven't watched any of the Japanese version since G4 went under, but that's the atmosphere they seemed to have on that one. Of course here in the states we can't have a reality or reality-adjacent program without a dramatic backstory reel complete with inspiring music.

IRQ posted:

This sounds WAY better than spending 70% of the show on how sad these people's lives are because their entire family has canceraids and they have no job and they spent 17,000 hours in line for the audition.

What does it actually mean when they say they "spent 3 weeks in line" anyway? I have trouble believing that when Ninja Warrior season rolls around that a series of shanty towns pop up nationwide full of people jockeying for a shot to be on the show.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 5, 2017

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

raditts posted:

What does it actually mean when they say they "spent 3 weeks in line" anyway? I have trouble believing that when Ninja Warrior season rolls around that a series of shanty towns pop up nationwide full of people jockeying for a shot to be on the show.

They probably just go and camp out in line unnecessarily because it's a good story.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's multiple rounds of auditions and stuff so it's probably the total time they spent in town before being accepted for TV.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

Coming up next on CBS, the new hit show How I Got My Architect's Degree

You joke, but don't forget that CBS ordered a second How I Met Your Father pilot a few months ago, because apparently the first attempt like two years ago wasn't awful enough.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That 80's show.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lurdiak posted:

That 80's show.

Hey, that show brought us Alex Danvers!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I will say one of my biggest gripes with beast master is they keep changing poo poo about the courses. It also looks like they list the episodes out of chronological because certain things change, then change back (and again!).

Mostly I'm complaining about the fact they thought a rope would be better to jump after than a chain. Everyone's hands are getting shredded by the drat thing.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

I will say one of my biggest gripes with beast master is they keep changing poo poo about the courses. It also looks like they list the episodes out of chronological because certain things change, then change back (and again!).

Mostly I'm complaining about the fact they thought a rope would be better to jump after than a chain. Everyone's hands are getting shredded by the drat thing.

I noticed this too. They remove the first few obstacles of the first level in the third episode, but add a new beginning, then add them back in in the fourth with the new beginning tacked on. The weird bit is that the section they removed includes one of the bonus point areas as well so it takes away the opportunity to earn extra points for the competitors with upper body strength.

I have a feeling you're right and the episodes were aired out of order. The biggest piece missing from any episode that actually made the course way worse was when in level 2 they started the competitors on the "fall down through bungee cords" instead of the climbing moving platforms. They might have done that because the bungee cord obstacle is just free points compared to the climbing one that eliminates a quarter of the competitors each time.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Right, like I'm on episode 6 I think. Almost no one made it past the rope in stage one, and about half the people who moved on didn't make it past the first part of stage 2. If anything you would think they'd change it to be slightly easier so we aren't stuck watching the same 2 events for 30 minutes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

You joke, but don't forget that CBS ordered a second How I Met Your Father pilot a few months ago, because apparently the first attempt like two years ago wasn't awful enough.

Hahaha, seriously? I knew about the first one but missed that they're gonna try it again

e: wow you guys weren't kidding about season 4 of Sherlock being really bad, I loved season 3 but season 4 is almost impressively dire and silly

precision fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 5, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

Hahaha, seriously? I knew about the first one but missed that they're gonna try it again

Yeah, they commissioned the This Is Us creators to write and shoot a new pilot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first one was called How I Met Your Dad for some reason. At least How I Met Your Father matches the original naming scheme.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The satanist episode of X-files was profoundly stupid.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That episode is so good. Just keep in mind the context of the time when it was made, as satanic panic was just barely out of vogue. Half the viewers of the episode in the moment probably believed that satanists were ritually abusing children in schools and daycares, so making it such a goofy parody of what believers thought the reality looked like is amazing.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Kingtheninja posted:

Right, like I'm on episode 6 I think. Almost no one made it past the rope in stage one, and about half the people who moved on didn't make it past the first part of stage 2. If anything you would think they'd change it to be slightly easier so we aren't stuck watching the same 2 events for 30 minutes.

I'm still annoyed that the German dude from episode 1 didn't make it. Out of all the episodes I watched he was the best at the actual courses and would have won nearly every final duel. He was really unlucky having that ice climber as his opponent at the last stage.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah that second part of the final stage ruins everyone. I don't know how people make it past those tiny slits for gripping.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The BBC Top Gear with Matt Leblanc is back and nobody seems to give a gently caress.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

The BBC Top Gear with Matt Leblanc is back and nobody seems to give a gently caress.

It was pretty good. The new format where they were just shooting the poo poo with James McAvoy was better than the interview style from before.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

And way better than the "celebrity death" thing on The Grand Tour

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Making History is much better than the trailers made it look.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Unkempt posted:

Making History is much better than the trailers made it look.

I liked it, but it should have gotten a hour long or back to back episodes for the pilot.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

FEUD: Bette and Joan was interesting. I'm hoping to see more of Susan Sarandon though; Ryan Murphy still loves Jessica Lange and she can still chew scenery like no one's business.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

That episode is so good. Just keep in mind the context of the time when it was made, as satanic panic was just barely out of vogue. Half the viewers of the episode in the moment probably believed that satanists were ritually abusing children in schools and daycares, so making it such a goofy parody of what believers thought the reality looked like is amazing.

I was totally fine with that aspect of it, I just really didn't like how they felt the need to overcomplicate the plot with that teacher who was apparently a different kind of satanist who was secretly manipulating all the events of the episode, or things like how the kid revealing she had been abused in satanic rituals was apparently misremembering half of it. It just muddied the waters of what should've been a straightforward goofy satanic teacher's union story.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pan Dulce posted:

FEUD: Bette and Joan was interesting. I'm hoping to see more of Susan Sarandon though; Ryan Murphy still loves Jessica Lange and she can still chew scenery like no one's business.

Is there a feud thread?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Humbug is the platonic ideal of an X-files episode. Just some stupid bullshit that makes no sense, killing people, looking like a reject from a Tales From the Crypt episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Humbug is the platonic ideal of an X-files episode. Just some stupid bullshit that makes no sense, killing people, looking like a reject from a Tales From the Crypt episode.

Yeah, it's great.

• Locked thread