Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Okay, this is fantastic info. A sincere thank you, everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Gotta say that the more I play OCS, the more I want to play. The system is seriously good and it's leading me to a dark, more grognardy path.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

Gotta say that the more I play OCS, the more I want to play. The system is seriously good and it's leading me to a dark, more grognardy path.

Lol, I've been soloing a Tunisia Campaign Scenario for most of this evening/morning on Vassal. While on holiday. Currently starting the Dec 22 turn - Allies have captured Bizerte and Mateur, but 10th Panzer has just arrived, and the front has stalemated.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My friends and I played Triumph and Tragedy and really loved it. We've also dug Cuba Libre quite a bit. Other than other COIN games, do people have some recommendations for other strategic-level wargames of similar complexity?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fr0id posted:

My friends and I played Triumph and Tragedy and really loved it. We've also dug Cuba Libre quite a bit. Other than other COIN games, do people have some recommendations for other strategic-level wargames of similar complexity?

I've been hunting for that myself but I think T&T is it. Going out from there and you start to hit true grognard stuff.

There's a P500 game I've been following called Cataclysm which seems to be a logical step up. It's certainly better looking than the leap to Unconditional Surrender or Totaler Krieg which are like going from touch football to the Superbowl.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Churchill is fun, though I'm not sure it really qualifies.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I don't think Paths of Glory is a huge leap in complexity from COIN (maybe from Cuba Libre, but not from FITL), but it does have a lot of rules exceptions.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Raicer only exists for two things: WWI and rules exceptions.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Lord Frisk posted:

Raicer only exists for two things: WWI and rules exceptions.

Barbarossa to Berlin disagrees. But its also a very frustrating in execution...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mr.Misfit posted:

Barbarossa to Berlin disagrees. But its also a very frustrating in execution...
B2B is not a good system and really shows how the PoG system can break down if misapplied. I would say that the game is outright bad.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tekopo posted:

B2B is not a good system and really shows how the PoG system can break down if misapplied. I would say that the game is outright bad.

Thirty Years War: Europe in Agony is arguably an even worse application of the system. Not sure i've seen anyone with a good thing to say about that game.

Not that simulating the Thirty Years War a strategic level is a particularly rewarding task in any case though...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've been told from someone whose opinion I respect that Festung Europa and Shifting Sands are the best implementations of Paths of Glory system although I haven't played either to comment directly.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Crusade and Revolution is my favourite use of the system tbh but that's partially because I'm interested in the topic.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

al-azad posted:

I've been told from someone whose opinion I respect that Festung Europa and Shifting Sands are the best implementations of Paths of Glory system although I haven't played either to comment directly.

Festung Europa is significantly better than Shifting Sands and does a better job of porting the system whereas Shifting Sands too often feels like things were 1:1 translated just because.

By the way, Pericles got its rules released.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Speaking of Raicer has anyone played The Dark Valley?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

T-Bone posted:

Played is a strong term. I've set it up and moved the pieces about for several turns, but I still have a fairly tenuous grasp of what's going on. The activation method makes things flow quite well, but the number of units in play is just above the threshold of what I can comfortably keep track of in my head so putting together long term strategies can be quite difficult. It also contains what might be the worst wargame rule ever (fortunately optional):

quote:

To add variability to all scenarios and the campaign game, roll a die when a VP hex changes hands. On a roll of 1-2 the current VP level is unaffected. On a roll of 3-4 add (if the Axis take the hex) or subtract (if the Soviets take the hex) 1 VP. On a roll of 5-6 add (if the Axis take the hex) or subtract (if the Soviets take the hex) 2 VPs

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

T-Bone posted:

Yeah and I think it's okay! Not a bad game but not one of my favourites either.

I like the scale, you get a nice detailed east front experience but it's not really a monster game either. The rules have lots of those Raicerian exceptions, and what drives me mad is that there are a lot of rules that say "this applies from turns X to Y". There really should be a play aid that lists all those magic turns.

When it comes to playing the game, it's really easy to decisively gently caress up the Barbarossa as germans. I takes quite a lot of planning to get anywhere near historical results. First few turns you will be killing ridiculous amounts of russians either way, but as the winter gets closer everything gets just a little harder every turn. Feels quite historical.

Probably my favourite part is how the Red Army and it's evolution is handled. They start with tons of weak infantry divisions and a handful of powerful but fragile mech corps. Over the time, the mech corps are all removed and you get better tank corps instead. Infantry gets consolidated into bigger units and guards start appearing. In the last years, you will be steamrolling with massive guards tank armies supported by powerful artillery units and airforce. Really cool and simple system.

So yeah The Dark Valley is not bad, but for an east front game of similar scale I'd still recommend Victory Roads instead, it's just more fun and interesting. Only covers the last year, though.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Thanks! The only East Front game I have is well, EastFront II and that's of course a block treatment (actually I have A Victory Lost as well). Victory Roads has had my eye for a while, it looks great.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 5, 2017

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

How is A Victory Lost/Denied? As far as complexity and gameplay? It's been in my periphery for a while. Does a different game do it better?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Lord Frisk posted:

How is A Victory Lost/Denied? As far as complexity and gameplay? It's been in my periphery for a while. Does a different game do it better?

It's very often recommended as a first/introductory wargame. It's fairly simple, with a few chrome-y elements. I like the chit-pull system, it makes it enjoyable to play as a solitaire game.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Played my first two games of Sekigahara this weekend.

First as Ishida and won 15-12 points.

Second as Tokugawa and won 15-12 points.

Both games were pretty close and if my opponents had one more or one different card they could have taken one of my castles and cost me the game.

I really like the game and I'm looking forward to play it more regularly. It is easy enough to learn but offers enough depth for the people in my playgroup,

And maybe someday my wife would like to try it, too :pray:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just played last night too. Ishida death stack in the northeast was a huge distraction and allowed me to sweep Mori troops from Himeji all the way through past Sekigahara. I won by two castles worth, I forget the actual score.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Must have been the weekend for it as I actually played my first game of Sekigahara on the weekend. I thought it was a beautiful game, both in design and aesthetics.

It generates wonderful stories, like the plucky Maeda army holding off a much larger disparate enemy force through unshakeable loyalty (and a ton of bonuses).

Combat was a tense affair every time as we struggled to work out if each others armies were paper tigers or significant forces.

I was playing Tokugawa and managed to make a strong sweep through the eastern half of the board, leading to a large east vs west face off.

I was heading for a points victory by end of week five but unfortunately, my opponent had been keeping close tabs on where Tokugawa himself was and l followed him into a rather nasty trap he set up. His armies swept in and not even two loyalty challenges could shake his control of his troops. The Tokugawa forces that defected weren't the killing blow, but certainly were salt in the wound. Tokugawa Ieyasu was slain and the game was his.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hehe, my copy arrived this weekend, too. Been thumbing through the rules in preparation of playing.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It's a really great game that's actually light on rules. There's more strategy than it seems on the surface.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lord Frisk posted:

It's a really great game that's actually light on rules. There's more strategy than it seems on the surface.

Sekigahara reminds me of Friedrich or Maria, which is a very positive thing because they're all deceptively simple games.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I want to play all of those games so badly, but have no wargaming buds and they all seem impossible to solo.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I don't think Sekigahara should be that hard to get on the table.

The way the map looks and the blocks and cards don't make the game feel like "one of those wargames" imo.

My second opponent has never played a modern board game in his life but he liked the look and the subject of the game and as you can see in my previous post it was a pretty close game. He had a lot of fun and really wants to play again. After two rounds most players should have understood the rules and the game is so smooth.

So stay positive :)

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

CaptainRightful posted:

I want to play all of those games so badly, but have no wargaming buds and they all seem impossible to solo.

Maria/Friedrich is perfectly teachable to a bunch of Eurogamers; call it a euro-war hybrid and lure them in. Can't comment about seki because I don't own it.

I really want to get my hands on Seki while it's still in print... but it's such a bad idea given how much I've spent on games since August.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm not sure what happened but this weekend something "clicked" and I went from viewing the PG II rulebook as some kind of inscrutable tome to everything actually making sense within like, five minutes. I've got the Prague scenario all set up and started playing through it, this owns.

E: I did kinda screw up and change the deployment of one of my wing leaders during the first turn - I misread something about command checks and realized that a whole specific cavalry group was all but worthless unless another wing leader was stacked on theirs to get a reroll chance. Luckily, my opponent (me) was gracious enough to allow me to correct this mistake.

I also grabbed Guadalajara from MMP for cheap, just to try an MMP game out.

T-Bone posted:

Isn't https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/875 like the best Wargame group in the country?

I wasn't aware of this, I'm going to definitely check them out.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 6, 2017

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

MMP games are good, would recommend them.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

MMP Non-ASL MMP games are good, would recommend them.
FTFY

On a more serious note - I've just soloed through Western Sicily. It's an excellent teaching scenario for learning how to exploit a breakthrough and capture lots of ground very quickly. Definitely not worth doing when there are nasty Panzer divisions lurking about, however.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 6, 2017

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So the new C3I Magazine is out and it features yet another stand alone game based on the EOTS System called South Pacific.

From what I can gather the map is much smaller so getting into the system might be a bit easier.

Anyone played this one yet?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It's actually just a piece of EotS. Renumbered cards and stuff, but you can play the scenario on the EotS map. It's literally just a beginner thing with less overhead to worry about

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Ah , I see.

I don't have EOTS cause I might never get it on the table but the smaller map and less overhead my help me to get one of my buddies to give it a try.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've heard anecdotally that the South Seas scenario might not be all that balanced, unfortunately. Might still be good for learning the system though.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Selecta84 posted:

Ah , I see.

I don't have EOTS cause I might never get it on the table but the smaller map and less overhead my help me to get one of my buddies to give it a try.

EOTS is playable in an afternoon. Really.

Does anyone have any experience of the GOSS system? I'm staring at it because it looks like the next step up in terms of grogginess from OCS (which I didn't think was possible).

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

tomdidiot posted:

EOTS is playable in an afternoon. Really.

If you live on the North Pole, yes.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think EotS is doable in an afternoon if you have internalised the rules, know the strategies and don't need to look at the rulebook. Me and tomdidiot can probably hash out a game in 3-4 hours. I don't think this will be universally true of everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What's the official channel for C3I? I see it for $40+ on third party channels but is there a subscription or something?