Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Vintersorg posted:

I think just Overwatch limits it?

Starcraft, too. Because eSports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

DrDork posted:

Starcraft, too. Because eSports.

Dark Souls 3, too, oddly enough.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

Dark Souls 3, too, oddly enough.

Dark Souls 3 was really easy to patch for full 21:9, I played the whole game like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30CoVM-HSQQ

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I was surprised to see the +4.13% jump in 1080p on Steam for last month.

I suppose people would prioritize things like 144hz over 1440p and such.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Are these ICC Profiles at TFTcentral worth a drat?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/icc_profiles/eizo_ev2450.icc

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_ev2450.htm

Also, gonna pull the plug on the ACER Predator this weekend cause it's the only one in stock locally and the 2 year replacement warranty is great at Memory Express becuase if they dont have it in they just give you a brand new monitor that is equivalent.

I didn't realize they were right there in that site :downs: That seems better than what I had, thanks!

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That one is fine if you want a 1080p screen, also note that it is a TN panel, not IPS. If you want higher resolution(1440p) and a slightly better TN panel for cheaper the Dell S2417DG is a better choice.

Just wanted to say thanks for this recommendation, just found a good deal on one so I pulled the trigger.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

OhFunny posted:

I was surprised to see the +4.13% jump in 1080p on Steam for last month.

I suppose people would prioritize things like 144hz over 1440p and such.

I think you'd be surprised how many budget gamers that were using 600p or lower monitors that are now upgrading. 1080p IPS monitors are dirt cheap, even with freesync compared to 1440/144/IPS.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jumped and I got the ACER Predator - it's goddamn amazing. Holy poo poo. Even better than the store demo.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Vintersorg posted:

Jumped and I got the ACER Predator - it's goddamn amazing. Holy poo poo. Even better than the store demo.

You're making this worse.

See, the 1080ti is launching next week. But Deuce! Your monitor is merely 3440x1440x60! The GTX 1080 is already capable of handling maxed out, AAA gaming on this device!

I'll save you the overdone Darth Kermit meme, but that guy? That guy's voice is saying "Buy the predator."

And here you are. On his side.

Are there any 1440p ultrawide monitors at a true 120hz in the pipeline? edit: while also being IPS and maybe G-sync?

edit: I mean jesus we're getting 144hz 4k monitors soon.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 5, 2017

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Are we any closer to getting screens that can loook like a quantum dote tv? Blacks on my ks8000 have broken me when i look at ips screens with backlight glow

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Scarecow posted:

Are we any closer to getting screens that can loook like a quantum dote tv? Blacks on my ks8000 have broken me when i look at ips screens with backlight glow

There's a quantum dot monitor coming in a few months, but it's $2000. PG27UQ, 4K 144Hz GSync HDR as well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BurritoJustice posted:

There's a quantum dot monitor coming in a few months, but it's $2000. PG27UQ, 4K 144Hz GSync HDR as well.

Oh drat, I remember seeing those previewed without prices and was curious, but $2k though..

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

But what size is it? Its really hard to move away from my x34 :(

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Scarecow posted:

But what size is it? Its really hard to move away from my x34 :(

Only 16:9/27" unfortunately. With how things are progressing there will likely be a 21:9 variant at some point (though I'd imagine with a smaller relative resolution to work with bandwidth limitations).

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

Only 16:9/27" unfortunately. With how things are progressing there will likely be a 21:9 variant at some point (though I'd imagine with a smaller relative resolution to work with bandwidth limitations).

Wouldnt the new DP standard be able to handle that?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
After only buying $250 monitors for most of my life, I'm deciding I'm going to treat myself to a new monitor this year. I'm having trouble figuring out what to get, though. I've been looking at the Asus ROG line, the Acer Predator (maybe the XB271HU?), and the Dells such as the 2716DG.

Primary usage is gaming - mostly stuff like Overwatch, so it seems like I want a G-Sync monitor and something that's 144Hz. I've only ever had TN panels as far as I know, so I have no idea if IPS is worth it for me. Also, will I care if a panel has a 4ms vs 1ms refresh rate?

Budget: <$800
Size: 24-27"
Adaptive Sync: Probably G-Sync since I have the card for it
Video Card: GTX 1070

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
So, I have an amazing TV and because of that don't need to/don't want to spend a shitload on a gaming monitor - so Predator is out. I also am spoiled with HDR, OLED, etc., and spending a ton on a monitor like that which doesn't even come close is absurd to me. However, I do want a nice, midrange, Gsync-capable monitor for when I can't use the TV and camemacross the Dell S2417DG. 144Hz, 1440p, Gsync, for $400 is exactly what I'm looking for.

Heres my issue. Purely aesthetically, I do not want the huge dell logo on the front, and certainly not on the back. Is there any way to remove it without damaging the bezel? Does the screen come in a more nondescript shell, maybe from a different company?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Cidrick posted:

After only buying $250 monitors for most of my life, I'm deciding I'm going to treat myself to a new monitor this year. I'm having trouble figuring out what to get, though. I've been looking at the Asus ROG line, the Acer Predator (maybe the XB271HU?), and the Dells such as the 2716DG.

Primary usage is gaming - mostly stuff like Overwatch, so it seems like I want a G-Sync monitor and something that's 144Hz. I've only ever had TN panels as far as I know, so I have no idea if IPS is worth it for me. Also, will I care if a panel has a 4ms vs 1ms refresh rate?

Budget: <$800
Size: 24-27"
Adaptive Sync: Probably G-Sync since I have the card for it
Video Card: GTX 1070

I would go with the Acer XB271HU, it has the best track record of the monitors you are considering and is IPS. As far as whether IPS is worth it, I would say yes, pretty much anyone who uses IPS for the first time is impressed with it and the price difference between the Dell and the Acer is small enough that I think it justifies going with the IPS monitor. 4ms vs 1ms is unnoticeable, at 165Hz, the maximum frame rate the XB271HU can display, that means a frame every 6ms so there is plenty of time for pixels to switch over.

da anime bulldog posted:

So, I have an amazing TV and because of that don't need to/don't want to spend a shitload on a gaming monitor - so Predator is out. I also am spoiled with HDR, OLED, etc., and spending a ton on a monitor like that which doesn't even come close is absurd to me. However, I do want a nice, midrange, Gsync-capable monitor for when I can't use the TV and camemacross the Dell S2417DG. 144Hz, 1440p, Gsync, for $400 is exactly what I'm looking for.

Heres my issue. Purely aesthetically, I do not want the huge dell logo on the front, and certainly not on the back. Is there any way to remove it without damaging the bezel? Does the screen come in a more nondescript shell, maybe from a different company?

The Dell is about the most restrained looking gaming monitor out there. Dells other lines of monitors largely look the same including the ones meant for professional use. I'm pretty sure the Dells are about the best you are going to find as far as restrained aesthetics goes. :shrug:

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I would go with the Acer XB271HU, it has the best track record of the monitors you are considering and is IPS. As far as whether IPS is worth it, I would say yes, pretty much anyone who uses IPS for the first time is impressed with it and the price difference between the Dell and the Acer is small enough that I think it justifies going with the IPS monitor. 4ms vs 1ms is unnoticeable, at 165Hz, the maximum frame rate the XB271HU can display, that means a frame every 6ms so there is plenty of time for pixels to switch over.

Okay, perfect, this is the info I was looking for. Thank you.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
My dell S2716DG buzzes at brightness settings below 60. The buzzing is faint at lower settings, but pretty drat loud as you climb, then stops with a loud CLICK at brightness 60. This seems to be a common problem with them. I have A00, the first revision, but there are posts of people complaining about a similar problem on revisions up to A03.

Anyone have experience with this?

Gsync is amazing though.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Scarecow posted:

Wouldnt the new DP standard be able to handle that?

4k144Hz 10bit (HDR) is already more than the DP1.4 spec, which means they require lossy compression just for that. 5120x2160 at the same specs would be substantially more again.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I'm planning on adding a second monitor and I'm kinda on a budget and also don't know anything. I'm fine with 24" 1080p and don't know poo poo about panels so no preference there. I'm leaning toward the Nixeus NX-VUE24A but I'm on my budget GTX 960. The other option I'm looking at is the S2417DG, which is substantially more expensive but has G-Sync. I guess my question is it better to accommodate my 960 with the Dell, accommodate the cheaper Nixeus with an AMD card, or just grab the Nixeus because it's cheaper and the fancy sync stuff is overkill for my budget system and my top priority is "need another monitor". Or do something else.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I've got a new desk and am putting together a new setup. I will likely be upgrading to a ~34" ultrawide. What's a good mounting option? I'd like a clamp-style one that attaches to the desk and has an articulating arm. (the desk is very thick so only has certain spots I will be able to mount the arm to, so I will want to have lateral motion available)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Dutchy posted:

I'm planning on adding a second monitor and I'm kinda on a budget and also don't know anything. I'm fine with 24" 1080p and don't know poo poo about panels so no preference there. I'm leaning toward the Nixeus NX-VUE24A but I'm on my budget GTX 960. The other option I'm looking at is the S2417DG, which is substantially more expensive but has G-Sync. I guess my question is it better to accommodate my 960 with the Dell, accommodate the cheaper Nixeus with an AMD card, or just grab the Nixeus because it's cheaper and the fancy sync stuff is overkill for my budget system and my top priority is "need another monitor". Or do something else.

Actually Freesync/Gsync is better the lower end your video card is so I think your best bet is the NX-VUE24A and either a RX 470 or 480, that way you get a very good monitor and a significant video card upgrade for around the same price as the S2417DG.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Actually Freesync/Gsync is better the lower end your video card is so I think your best bet is the NX-VUE24A and either a RX 470 or 480, that way you get a very good monitor and a significant video card upgrade for around the same price as the S2417DG.

Cool, thank you.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Was going to get that MG279Q per advice from this thread just a page ago, but Best Buy has the XF270HUA for $450 new free ship right now. So I think I'm going to do that to avoid getting a lemon in refurbished lotto. I also get the 3 year warranty. I know this panel has a reputation of ghosting issues in Freesync... but you just can't win 'em all I guess.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

A Bag of Milk posted:

Was going to get that MG279Q per advice from this thread just a page ago, but Best Buy has the XF270HUA for $450 new free ship right now. So I think I'm going to do that to avoid getting a lemon in refurbished lotto. I also get the 3 year warranty. I know this panel has a reputation of ghosting issues in Freesync... but you just can't win 'em all I guess.

The updated models shouldn't have any issues, IIRC Acer was even offering firmware updates to fix overdrive in Freesync on older models.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

BurritoJustice posted:

The updated models shouldn't have any issues, IIRC Acer was even offering firmware updates to fix overdrive in Freesync on older models.

Thanks friend. I'm the kid on the diving board getting hella cold feet, and you gave me the shove I needed with this post. I ordered it!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm putting together a new gaming computer, probably running a GTX 1070, and I'll be looking for a monitor to go with it probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $300. My current setup is 6-7 years old and I'm not current on the new tech, but my Christmas List of features would be 1440p, IPS, and 120 hz (I guess technically 144 hz is the thing now?). From a quick perusal on Partpicker it looks like you can't get all of those things for anywhere near my budget, so where would you guys say is the best place to make a compromise? Right now I'm thinking I'll give up on framerate, since I'm not sure an 1070 is going to be able to go all that hard at 1440p anyways and there are some good looking offers under my budget.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Voyager I posted:

I'm putting together a new gaming computer, probably running a GTX 1070, and I'll be looking for a monitor to go with it probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $300. My current setup is 6-7 years old and I'm not current on the new tech, but my Christmas List of features would be 1440p, IPS, and 120 hz (I guess technically 144 hz is the thing now?). From a quick perusal on Partpicker it looks like you can't get all of those things for anywhere near my budget, so where would you guys say is the best place to make a compromise? Right now I'm thinking I'll give up on framerate, since I'm not sure an 1070 is going to be able to go all that hard at 1440p anyways and there are some good looking offers under my budget.

It really depends on what sort of games you play and how important usage outside of games is to you. If you play competitive FPS games like Overwatch and CS:GO then frame rate is important and I'd recommend a 1080p/TN/144Hz monitor with Freesync and an RX 480 instead of the GTX 1070. If you play other games, especially stuff like RPGs, strategy games and so on then a 1440p/IPS/60Hz monitor is the best choice.

1080p/24"/TN/144Hz/Freesync: Nixeus NX-VUE24A+Radeon RX 480 8GB Red Devil, Total: ~$450

1440p/27"/IPS/60Hz: BenQ GW2765HT+EVGA GeForce GTX 1070, Total: ~$710

You could also look at the Asus MG279Q and a RX 480, that gets you 1440p/27"/IPS/144Hz/Freesync for ~$765. Freesync/Gsync help a lot with low frame rates so this is a very good option, I'm running a 1440p/27"/IPS/165Hz/Gsync monitor with a GTX 970 and it's fine, I'd like a 1070 or whatever but I'm pretty satisfied with the 970 for now.

I hope that helps you come to a decision. :)

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I have no idea what I want.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049 is what I'm currently using, and it's a good monitor! Probably a bit old though, which is why I feel I should probably upgrade it? I have no idea what upgrading a monitor would even get me though.

I'm currently rocking a 970 and have no intention of upgrading anytime soon ( I don't even know what 4k IS, and the 970 plays everything just fine. ). Next up on my list after the monitor will be a new CPU ( still using a i5-3570k ).

Gamingwise I mainly play older games, plus a healthy mix of RPGs/shooters/open world stuff. When I do play multiplayer games it's rarely competitive, my Battlefield play is mainly me playing Support or Medic. I'm just too old to play twitch based games like that anymore.

I kind of want a larger monitor? But I assume that just raises the price exponentially and lowers quality. I just don't know enough about monitors to know the price breakdown on what I could expect to be paying per inch/how they would affect the quality.

My issue coming in here is I know next to nothing about monitors. Last time I checked on them the equation was a pretty simple "get lowest ms you can + size" and apparently things have changed quite a bit since then. I'm budgeting for $500 max, though I'd prefer closer to $300 if I had the option.

Also as an impossibility I know I won't find, whats a good way of hooking up RCA to a newer monitor? I've been PC gaming for so long TV/couch gaming just feels uncomfortable now. Which is fine for the Xbox/Ps3 up since I can just hook HDMI up from the console and play them like PC games, but that doesn't work for the older systems that are RCA only. I've tried a few of the cheapo RCA to HDMI adapters you can find on Amazon and none of them have done anything. Obviously I can emulate most of that stuff, but more then a few older games just don't emulate well, and I like the physicality of some of it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Oh drat I want to buy a Samsung C34F791. 3440x1440 VA panel @ 100Hz. Image looked veeery nice, the games on it too. And it doesn't require that much more punch to drive compared to a 2560x1600Hz monitor. Of course a few extra frames, but the resolution is still not insane...

Why shouldn't I buy one?
Wait for Freesync 2 & HDR, only 100Hz, poor color when viewed off angle, ???

E: also it's a quantum dot model :supaburn: Someone asked for qdot displays earlier in here!

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 7, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

There's only 1 in stock, you shouldn't buy it so I can. :v:

(I have no use for yet another ultrawide).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ihmemies posted:

Why shouldn't I buy one?
Wait for Freesync 2 & HDR, only 100Hz, poor color when viewed off angle, ???

No GSync, so if you're an NVidia guy you'll be missing out. There also have been high-Hz FreeSync monitors that did not support >60Hz with NVidia cards at all, so it'd be worth ensuring that you wouldn't be shooting yourself in the foot there.

Or just buy a handfull of 480's, I guess.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dell has this on sale for 479

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-agjr?ref=224_recs_img

Good deal or Great deal?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

That is a really nice price for that monitor, usually it's more like $600, but be aware that it is a TN panel and for around $650-$750 you can get the same sort of monitor with an IPS screen.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I think this is the best thread for a display mounting question...

I'm looking for a way to mount 2 displays on my desk; one a 27" 144Hz (for gaming) and the other a bigass monitor for non-gaming (either a 32" 4k or a 34" curved 3440x1440). I don't want them side-by-side though, I want to be able to have whichever I'm actually using directly in front of me and swing the other off to the side but still more or less visible.

I'm thinking about two Ergotech Freedom Arms, one for each monitor. Anyone tried those and willing to either warn me why they suck or endorse them? Alternately, is there a better way to handle doing what I want to do?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It really depends on what sort of games you play and how important usage outside of games is to you. If you play competitive FPS games like Overwatch and CS:GO then frame rate is important and I'd recommend a 1080p/TN/144Hz monitor with Freesync and an RX 480 instead of the GTX 1070. If you play other games, especially stuff like RPGs, strategy games and so on then a 1440p/IPS/60Hz monitor is the best choice.

1080p/24"/TN/144Hz/Freesync: Nixeus NX-VUE24A+Radeon RX 480 8GB Red Devil, Total: ~$450

1440p/27"/IPS/60Hz: BenQ GW2765HT+EVGA GeForce GTX 1070, Total: ~$710

You could also look at the Asus MG279Q and a RX 480, that gets you 1440p/27"/IPS/144Hz/Freesync for ~$765. Freesync/Gsync help a lot with low frame rates so this is a very good option, I'm running a 1440p/27"/IPS/165Hz/Gsync monitor with a GTX 970 and it's fine, I'd like a 1070 or whatever but I'm pretty satisfied with the 970 for now.

I hope that helps you come to a decision. :)

Thanks for the tips. I originally built my old computer to play the hell out of Team Fortress 2, but I've long since gotten off the competitive FPS horse. I can't promise I'll never be in a game where running at 120 fps or whatever makes a meaningful impact on performance, but that's not where I am now and it's not the purpose I'm building the system for. Most of my games these days are RPGs like The Witcher 3, strategy games like Total War titles, or more immersive / experiential games like Subnautica and wishing Elite Dangerous had any depth, so it sounds like I'd be better served by a 60hz IPS than blazing fast TN. I'll probably still go walk around Best Buy or whatever and see what stuff looks like in person.

Thaks for the advice!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

One big downside of the 100Hz panels is that they're really awkward for video. 24, 30, 60fps are pretty much standard and you're hosed with all of them. A 3440x1440 120Hz monitor would be perfect. Maybe next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

No GSync, so if you're an NVidia guy you'll be missing out. There also have been high-Hz FreeSync monitors that did not support >60Hz with NVidia cards at all, so it'd be worth ensuring that you wouldn't be shooting yourself in the foot there.

Or just buy a handfull of 480's, I guess.

Unfortunately I'm and NVidia guy. This question gets asked a lot. But X34 or the Asus one? I can't wait anymore. I want to buy a big rear end monitor.