Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

I see that all the time in minimum wage arguments too. Like "why should these burger flipping morons get $15/hour when i had to eat poo poo forever growing up and just barely avoided living on the streets?? They're supposed to be teenagers anyway"

As though even $15/hr is enough to pay for college now

Looking at in state tuition in 1976 you could pay for an entire year with a full time job in about 14 weeks making minimum wage. In 2007 it took 47 weeks of full time minimum wage labor to attend the same school. Telling people this occasionally get's them to drop the subject for a while at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Who What Now posted:

I think he meant a merry-go-round.
That's the one with the horses.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Guavanaut posted:

That's the one with the horses.

That's a carousel.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Who What Now posted:

I think he meant a merry-go-round.

Someone missed the boat in not calling roundabouts this.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ramadu posted:

what??

you had a friend get pulled under this???

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=roundabout+kids&*

Must be the UK word?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

That's a carousel.

No that's a horsey fun time spin spin. edit: galliope

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 4, 2017

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Ainsley McTree posted:

I see that all the time in minimum wage arguments too. Like "why should these burger flipping morons get $15/hour when i had to eat poo poo forever growing up and just barely avoided living on the streets?? They're supposed to be teenagers anyway"

As though even $15/hr is enough to pay for college now

"Well, them college kids shouldn't be wasting their lives getting a gender studies degree. They should be learning a trade like that one oper singer from QVC said."

*Shop teachers leave education due to low funding and lack of support from admin and parents*

*Completely ignores role of unions in the trades*

*Doesn't realize a lot of trade jobs rely on networking instead of job postings, like most careers*

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
okay there's a buzzfeed guy in the middle of a "Proud Boys" rally right now and it's loving amazing, fistfights breaking out, 70 year old white men wielding 2x4s, dudes with motorcycle helmets and wooden shields.. Not a single one is from berkley, but eventually the white guys found out that proud boys are pro-milo, and it devolved quickly :allears:

https://www.facebook.com/BuzzFeedNe...488665004616798

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Forceholy posted:

"Well, them college kids shouldn't be wasting their lives getting a gender studies degree. They should be learning a trade like that one oper singer from QVC said."

I just adore the assumption that every single person who goes to college majors in a useless degree and that's why millenials aren't doing well. Hell I have a CS degree with a math minor and it still took me eight drat months to find a job.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I just adore the assumption that every single person who goes to college majors in a useless degree and that's why millenials aren't doing well. Hell I have a CS degree with a math minor and it still took me eight drat months to find a job.
I once met a retired record executive wearing a stained shirt in a gated trailer park in Florida. He was pleasantly surprised that I and my then-boyfriend had jobs. He announced that if millennials wanted jobs we could go to Seattle and work at McDonalds.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TerminalSaint posted:

That's a carousel.

No, that's where we send old people.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

TGLT posted:

No that's a horsey fun time spin spin. edit: galliope

Gyroscopic equine amusement apparatus.

The road one is called a "death circle".

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Selachian posted:

No, that's where we send old people.

I wish!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

boner confessor posted:

*votes for accelerationism*

"ugh why dont the democrats do more to stop the world from going to poo poo. this is why they keep losing"

You got those backwards.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have a coworker who had a little brother die from a playground roundabout. Apparently the holes they were dug in were big enough to hop under. Little brother hopped in and when the mechanism spins, there's a pinch point (well... more of a crush point) that you couldn't escape. So yeah, your aunt survived her childhood, but not everyone did.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I feel face first off a slide once onto some nice rough asphalt that made up all the ground of our school's play area at that time, luckily I was in like 2nd or 3rd grade so it didn't really do that much damage

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

seiferguy posted:

I have a coworker who had a little brother die from a playground roundabout. Apparently the holes they were dug in were big enough to hop under. Little brother hopped in and when the mechanism spins, there's a pinch point (well... more of a crush point) that you couldn't escape. So yeah, your aunt survived her childhood, but not everyone did.
that's not the hole it was dug in, it was erosion from weather, use, and lack of maintenance budget. you're supposed to pile mulch under those things to the point it's tough to stick an arm in

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

lancemantis posted:

I feel face first off a slide once onto some nice rough asphalt that made up all the ground of our school's play area at that time, luckily I was in like 2nd or 3rd grade so it didn't really do that much damage

Didn't do that much damage? Have you seen your posting?

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't understand the pointless cruelty of a mindset that despises simple, inexpensive, effective safety mechanisms. I guess if you believe that the world is inherently dangerous and that we are shielding children from "learning their lesson" and being more careful... However, I don't understand the lesson to be learned from, for example, getting shattered vertebrae when you're in an accident inside a car without a seatbelt. "Remember to wear your seat belt!" (oh wait, there is no seatbelt). "Walk instead!" "Drive more carefully!" (but I'm six years old and won't be able to drive for ten more years). I think the lesson they would like people to learn is: "The world is unsafe. Don't even try to improve it. Don't be a pussy. Fear minorities. Buy a gun."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TtGQnyPZ6g

Combined with the idea (probably best articulated by Douglas Adams) that anything developed before you were born is a natural part of the way the world works, things that are new between 15 and 35 are exciting changes, and everything post-35 is of the devil.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Edible Hat posted:

I don't understand the pointless cruelty of a mindset that despises simple, inexpensive, effective safety mechanisms. I guess if you believe that the world is inherently dangerous and that we are shielding children from "learning their lesson" and being more careful... However, I don't understand the lesson to be learned from, for example, getting shattered vertebrae when you're in an accident inside a car without a seatbelt. "Remember to wear your seat belt!" (oh wait, there is no seatbelt). "Walk instead!" "Drive more carefully!" (but I'm six years old and won't be able to drive for ten more years). I think the lesson they would like people to learn is: "The world is unsafe. Don't even try to improve it. Don't be a pussy. Fear minorities. Buy a gun."

It's political correctness gone mad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99s19HBs-6A

Also in the "The world is unsafe. Don't even try to improve it." genre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8op1VGu-nvY

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's because you got a useless degree instead of something practical you can use in a trade like programming.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't know about the job market right now, but for a while I think Marine Biologists were having a much easier time finding jobs than architects.

Turns out that marine biology involves a lot more than playing with dolphins, there's a lot of money in aquaculture, and who the hell wants to hire an architect during a housing crash?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Edible Hat posted:

toxic masculinity + just world fallacy

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Edible Hat posted:

There is actually an argument for letting children engage in risks (particularly as part of their play), because this can be a necessary developmental step in allowing them to learn how to manage risk and dangers, as well as how to engage with and cope with fear, anxiety, etc. So it is important not to deny them this opportunity. But, in this context, 'risks' are things that a child can reasonably perceive and estimate in relation to their activities, basically the expected outcomes that they are learning to cope with, and are differentiated from 'hazards', which are dangers that are invisible or or unanticipated to children and therefore do not actually help them to develop anything.

So there is an argument for letting kids have, say, merry-go-rounds that they can fall off of or swings they can jump from or letting them run up slides (because they can perceive the risks in these activities and take them into account as they play) but there isn't any reason to expose them to hazards (like merry-go-rounds that will suck you under and kill you).

Almost everything on their list is a hazard, because there is no reasonable way for a kid to anticipate and manage the dangers of second-hand smoke or a car crash.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Ashcans posted:

but there isn't any reason to expose them to hazards (like merry-go-rounds that will suck you under and kill you).

Almost everything on their list is a hazard, because there is no reasonable way for a kid to anticipate and manage the dangers of second-hand smoke or a car crash.

This is the only important part, the hemming and hawing just lets impressionable types view those lead-paint and childhood-concussion fetishists in a reasonable light.

Very few people actually put leashes and safety suits etc on their kids, it's a masturbatory strawman

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Subject: That was a really close call..

Not to appear shallow, but, WOW… did we dodge a bullet, or what ?!?!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

sweart gliwere posted:

Very few people actually put leashes and safety suits etc on their kids, it's a masturbatory strawman

No but see if one person does it then that means all the people that agree with that person on anything ever do it and you should let kids break their legs on merry go rounds because that's how we did it in my day.

^^That's a good point on risk vs. Hazard. I'm gonna use that one the next time I see that in the wild.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

sweart gliwere posted:

This is the only important part, the hemming and hawing just lets impressionable types view those lead-paint and childhood-concussion fetishists in a reasonable light.

Parents are in a no-win situation, if they use one of those kid leashes they get mocked and judged. If they're carrying around a rather large toddler they get teased about not letting the kid away from mom for a second. If they have a rather large kid in a stroller they get judged (Nevermind the fact that many disabled kids are kept in strollers they can still fit into because it's practical and draws a lot less attention than a little wheelchair would).

And if the parent just lets the kids run free, people give them poo poo for not keeping closer tabs on them :shepicide:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I'm not sure what you are getting at with this post because only one of these 4 women actually was running for office.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm not sure what you are getting at with this post because only one of these 4 women actually was running for office.

Apologizes for posting a forwarded email in the forwarded email thread.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

FCKGW posted:

Why yes a woman's value is directly related to her looks and not her accomplishments or intelligence. A Good Forward.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Apologizes for posting a forwarded email in the forwarded email thread.

Seems like it's not a political email but a pile of sexist garbage. Maybe you should stop having lovely contacts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

Seems like it's not a political email but a pile of sexist garbage. Maybe you should stop having lovely contacts.

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder about lead in our environment.

gently caress Thomas Midgley Jr.

Maybe boomers and other olds wouldn't be such pychos in the timelines where Midgley didn't put lead in everything.

Thomas Midgley also helped synthesize the first CFCs, so he also helped break down the ozone layer. So if the crazy olds also have melanoma, there you go.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
e: ^ that's still bad because that means he's the single organism with the most impact on the environment ever. At least till Donnie lets the bombs drop.

If a public radio interview with a playground engineer is any indication. American playgrounds are both boring, unsafe, and boring.

Other countries have surprisingly high jungle gym caste towers with prop sword sticks and other cool things. Also the engineer said Americans should stfu because we allow kids to go hungry and die from no health insurance.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Absent safety standards, litigation becomes the only protection the average consumer has. Our lack of regulations leads to law suits which leads to fear of law suits so self-regulation leads to over-regulation.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Panfilo posted:

Parents are in a no-win situation, if they use one of those kid leashes they get mocked and judged. If they're carrying around a rather large toddler they get teased about not letting the kid away from mom for a second. If they have a rather large kid in a stroller they get judged (Nevermind the fact that many disabled kids are kept in strollers they can still fit into because it's practical and draws a lot less attention than a little wheelchair would).

Kid leashes look odd but the one time recently I saw one it was used by an elderly person to keep tabs on what was probably a grandchild at the same time as push another one in the stroller. Makes sense to me, an older person can't necessarily run after a fast little toddler.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

It's a random person forwarding these to me.

Sorry for posting a sexist email forward about politicians in the political email forwards thread.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

FCKGW posted:

It's a random person forwarding these to me.

Sorry for posting a sexist email forward about politicians in the political email forwards thread.

Nah, it's all right. Just next time for the love of god make it a little bit clearer that you're posting junk you got from somebody else, and that you are not just presenting your own thoughts on the bangability of potential White House residents.

Though having said that, they are drawing the wrong comparisons. They should either compare POTUS Hillary to POTUS Donald, where frankly it's a bit of a toss-up, or FLOTUS Melania to FLOTUS Bill, where frankly it's still a bit of a toss-up.