Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

4E/HL/FE draft with only one pack of each sounds awful, especially since at least HL and FE had I think 12 card packs

Fallen Empires were 8 card packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

KillarySwank posted:

Is there any recorded evidence of a novelty cube surviving for more than one or two drafts? It seems like every other week someone tries putting together an "Innistrad cube", or a "94 Cube". I see people put so much effort into these, only to never draft it beyond the initial run.

My proxied Every Mythic Ever cube gets played regularly for the past year.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Some Numbers posted:

My Peasant Multicolored Cube has survived 5 years, half a dozen iterations and a large number of drafts. Most people I Cube with agree it's one of the better Cubes they've seen.

A friend built an Innistrad Cube that's only been drafted once, but he only finished it a month ago.

Can I get that list? I have a c/ube that needs an update.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
okay so watching MOCS and I'm pretty sure the blocks aren't gonna work out to see what happens so I'll ask here

I have night Market guard (the 3/1 that can block 2 creatures), the opponent has a creature with trample and one without, both are let's say 3 power

they attack with both, i block both. how is the damage ordered in this scenario, am i taking 3 damage or 2?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

okay so watching MOCS and I'm pretty sure the blocks aren't gonna work out to see what happens so I'll ask here

I have night Market guard (the 3/1 that can block 2 creatures), the opponent has a creature with trample and one without, both are let's say 3 power

they attack with both, i block both. how is the damage ordered in this scenario, am i taking 3 damage or 2?

They choose how damage is assigned I'm pretty sure, so they assign lethal with the non-trampler and the 3 will carry over.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This better be your hype music for wizard poker:

https://youtu.be/YqBJhgncVek

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Fallen Empires were 8 card packs.

so you get 8 picks of FE, 12 picks of HL, and 15 picks of 4E(and 4E could have multiple basics in packs)?

man getting 23 playables out of this seems really loving hard

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheMaestroso posted:

Homelands and Fallen Empires? Wow, what a miserable draft environment.

Good draft sets literally hadn't been invented yet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ShaneB posted:

Can I get that list? I have a c/ube that needs an update.

Yeah, I'll update the list through Kaladesh and post it soon. Might take me a day or two, since I work this weekend.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

so you get 8 picks of FE, 12 picks of HL, and 15 picks of 4E(and 4E could have multiple basics in packs)?

the metric for "playable" becomes very low when every card in the set is terrible

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

The magic stream for MOCS keeps having modo crash, it's awful and hilarious.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Hopped on the magic online championship stream and within the first minute the mtgo client crashes and then they fade out with just the overlay and Marshall and David Williams chatting heh.

Edit ^^^^ it keeps crashing?! Hahahaha!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

Hopped on the magic online championship stream and within the first minute the mtgo client crashes and then they fade out with just the overlay and Marshall and David Williams chatting heh.

Edit ^^^^ it keeps crashing?! Hahahaha!

Two crashes in a row with a nice frozen period lasting about 2 mins between crashes, hahaha.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
MaRo confirms that Amonkhet is top-down on his blog.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Entropic posted:

Good draft sets literally hadn't been invented yet.

Well yeah, it wasn't even a supported format until years later. But even if it was at this point, those sets are miserably bad.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Here we are again with another crash, at least David Williams and Marshall are entertaining to listen to, they've done a great job.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Elyv posted:

You could open a sealed box of FE and it would be really loving hard to get 23 playables.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

whydirt posted:

MaRo confirms that Amonkhet is top-down on his blog.

What's this mean?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

St0rmD posted:

You could open a sealed box of FE and it would be really loving hard to get 23 playables.

Naw it'd be pretty easy, it'd just be six copies of each pump knight, six Hymns and some Mindstab Thrulls.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Soul Glo posted:

What's this mean?

Flavor first, mechanics second.

Like Theros.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The designers started out with a theme (Nicol Bolas's horns, looks like :v:) instead of neat mechanics. They did the same thing with Innistrad.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Naw it'd be pretty easy, it'd just be six copies of each pump knight, six Hymns and some Mindstab Thrulls.

There's only one of each the white and black pump knights in FE, the other one is in IA :eng101:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Some Numbers posted:

Flavor first, mechanics second.

Like Theros.

Ugh, gross.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

En Fuego posted:

I posted this to reddit, but figured you'd get a kick out of it too.

This was back in '96 or so, I think (and others have confirmed it). Back during the weird days of the MTG tournament scene.

I am trying to remember playing in any of these, but I was such a dink at this point in time that whenever I entered a tournament it was usually with a really terrible deck (or a borrowed one that I just utterly sucked at running). I remember playing some Iron Man magic, but usually never with anything I cared about ... and I definitely didn't run ante, haha.

I remember a weird gimmick tournament I was in when I was a kid in the 90s where no artifacts were allowed but the winner of each round got given a random artifact from a predefined pool that they could then add to their deck. I got a couple juggernauts early on and cleaned up. The prize was a candelabra :3:

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Soul Glo posted:

Ugh, gross.

Also like original Innistrad. There's hits and misses on both sides.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Heads up, mtgo champs stream will have Patrick Sullivan and Patrick Chapin on coverage for the next round - they're getting started now, should be some entertaining coverage.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
There's rumors going around that the next block is going to be based on Nicol Bolas trying to make a planeswalker army by forcing people's sparks to ignite. So, I was thinking about how WOTC has been making random planeswalker support lately, and I thought of something akin to Eldritch Evolution.

Thoughts on this card:

Forced Ignition - (2)WB
Sorcery
As an additional cost to case ~, sacrifice a creature.

Search your library for a planewalker card with converted mana cost 1 more than
the converted mana cost of the sacrificed creature, and put in onto the battlefield.

Edit:
Also, I don't know if that interview with Ryousuke Urase was funny or sad since he basically admitted to being a hikikomori.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 5, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

MTGO is a loving embarrassment. I'm not sure how Wizards can look at this MTGO Champs stream and think that the status of the client isn't anything except on fire. Sideboarding bug on stream.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Here is an interesting website.

http://mtg.gamepedia.com/Sam_Stoddard

Stoddard doesn't appear to be on a very good run in his current position. He should also stay off twitter.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Theros wasn't top down. The reason they went with gods was because the creature type had to be 3 letters to fit the frame.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hellsau posted:

I was going to say you could also do 10 goblin grenades, but I checked and there was only one goblin in Fallen Empires.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Theros wasn't top down. The reason they went with gods was because the creature type had to be 3 letters to fit the frame.

maro has talked about it being top-down so uh not sure what you're on about

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Huh. I could have sworn that the mechanics came first.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
It's a snarky comment about the amount of card types on the god cards.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ugh, Marcio Carvalho gets into the top 4 of the MTGO champs on tiebreakers in a six way tie. There is no god.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

It's a snarky comment about the amount of card types on the god cards.
Yea. That, and he prefaced it with "I wanted to design an enchantment block." It just so happened "greek enchantment block" was the theme.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Went 4-2 at the York pptq today with GB constrictor. Both my losses were to mardu plainswalkers.

It wasn't good enough for top 8 as there was 8 or so ppl with that record.

I not sure of GB can win that match up at all. Even if you were to main board Ruinous path and flying vehicles.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hellsau posted:

Ugh, Marcio Carvalho gets into the top 4 of the MTGO champs on tiebreakers in a six way tie. There is no god.

At least he can't cheat on MODO? :shobon:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

DoctorOozy posted:

Went 4-2 at the York pptq today with GB constrictor. Both my losses were to mardu plainswalkers.

It wasn't good enough for top 8 as there was 8 or so ppl with that record.

I not sure of GB can win that match up at all. Even if you were to main board Ruinous path and flying vehicles.

York PA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

No UK. The original York!

• Locked thread