Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Teachers are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raenir Salazar posted:

That whole exchange was a little weird.

Like the only way I can really justify it is "You shouldn't really fetishize a person's ethnicity." But I feel like this metaphor is lost in translation.

I think if you try to make any of the demi stuff a one to one representation of a real life thing, it's not going to work.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think if you try to make any of the demi stuff a one to one representation of a real life thing, it's not going to work.

Sure but the point of my post is just to illustrate my confusion in a "this is my best possible interpretation of the scene, and I'm still confused" way.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

That scene felt weird to me, it was an anime original scene too

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sure but the point of my post is just to illustrate my confusion in a "this is my best possible interpretation of the scene, and I'm still confused" way.

It's exactly what you're saying because it's already assumed by the show that it's cool to have a crush on and/or jerk it to your teacher.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

This show is really great

There is pretty much zero chance I am reading the manga

They spent the whole animation budget for this episode on weird boy and that's ok.

But if he comes back, there had better be an explanation that helps him fit into the (presumed) ongoing theme of this show

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope Kurtz is just gay. Tiny gay martial arts cop.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I guess I'm assuming that new young person is a guy but if I'm wrong then that's ok

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Eej posted:

It's exactly what you're saying because it's already assumed by the show that it's cool to have a crush on and/or jerk it to your teacher.

Why would this not be OK???

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Schoolboy having a crush on a pretty teacher has been a thing since forever. Are you really going to label that as weird? Seriously?

Hell, in real life it only becomes objectionable when the teacher reciprocates and/or abuses this.

E: Plus, it's pretty much the same kind of thing Machi has on sensei. You gonna condemn that too?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think the way they kinda end up idolizing it and the ninja keepsake photography is what's off putting; not that its somehow wrong or unnatural to try to contextualize your hormones going off by having your attractive older role model be the target of your mental affections at that age.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I didn't quite find the episode unsavoury as some people seemed to but it was kinda boring, even though it's a 'not much happens' kind of series/genre anyway. Lots of vague setup and questions being laid up for the audience to wonder about. The succubus police thing is kind of weird if you start trying to link it directly to real life, but it's a fairly interesting way of exploring situations where something is a problem for normal society but a huge aspect of someone's whole life that they're born with, rather than the real life circumstance that causes the situation. Also it's hard to tell anything about Kurtz other than he's a kind of chuuni with probably some kind of less obvious demi trait. I can't think of a mythological creature that's really really bad at lying.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 23, 2017

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
These chapters were pretty boring in the manga, too

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Explosions posted:

A) Within the central metaphor of the series, being a succubus correlates to PTSD or anxiety disorders.

B) The detective specifically states that her powers work on any straight male without exception.

C) Sakie doesn't have a relationship with her father anymore.

D) :(

"Ok, but what if this one was raped as a child?"

- a completely normal person watching a cutesy comedy show about some dumb highschoolers and their two teachers

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Wallrod posted:

The succubus police thing is kind of weird if you start trying to link it directly to real life, but it's a fairly interesting way of exploring situations where something is a problem for normal society but a huge aspect of someone's whole life that they're born with, rather than the real life circumstance that causes the situation.

Even ignoring the real world parallels, it goes against the theme of the show so far. Until now, I would say that the theme of the work has been "people with individual differences (demis) can integrate into our society as long as we're mindful of their needs without prejudice against them." The whole police officer thing goes against that in a way that demonizes succubi. If the oppressive past of the society and lingering effects is something they wanted to explore, it could have been so much better. Even just framing it as society integration counseling instead of the Task Force for Finding Out if Each Succubus is Secretly Harboring Criminal Intent Squad of chucklefucks. Maybe Sakie takes the first and last train because she's worried she'll be accused of using her powers if she's groped on the train?

And then the show has the gall to say that this figurehead of society's oppressive intent is a father figure to her! Cool. Cool cool cool. I wish we had seen any justification for that!

Also the episode was boring and the new characters loving suck.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
That's kind of what I mean when is say exploring the situation, but i haven't read the manga or anything and don't know where that particular plot element is heading, if anywhere. On the surface at least the show's been about closing the distance between normal folk and the monstrous strange beastly part-humans that are actually mostly normal with some oddities, so it's another situation bringing that up, and i was kind of expecting takahashi getting to know the police dude to eventually come into some point made about expectations and alienating people that are different, but here's me with my hope and such. Also i guess japan's weird legal justice system might make for some strange standards when it comes to that.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

brainwrinkle posted:

Even ignoring the real world parallels, it goes against the theme of the show so far. Until now, I would say that the theme of the work has been "people with individual differences (demis) can integrate into our society as long as we're mindful of their needs without prejudice against them." The whole police officer thing goes against that in a way that demonizes succubi. If the oppressive past of the society and lingering effects is something they wanted to explore, it could have been so much better. Even just framing it as society integration counseling instead of the Task Force for Finding Out if Each Succubus is Secretly Harboring Criminal Intent Squad of chucklefucks. Maybe Sakie takes the first and last train because she's worried she'll be accused of using her powers if she's groped on the train?

And then the show has the gall to say that this figurehead of society's oppressive intent is a father figure to her! Cool. Cool cool cool. I wish we had seen any justification for that!

It's a commentary on the semi police state of Japan where police officers can literally arrest you on any trumped up charges that they can think of and throw you in jail possibly for life. It is a real actual serious problem with Japan and their police forces. Saki basically represents that hosed up part of Japanese law enforcement. The show is basically making a political statement as far as I can see. But then they lose their ground by apologizing and saying that no no no the police officer is a good guy cause he's like a father figure. Probably cause you aren't allowed to say bad things about the police in Japan.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 23, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

demonizes succubi

Heh.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I guess Machi really has a good head on her shoulders.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Droyer posted:

Yeah, she's really on fire.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Droyer posted:

🔫

z0glin Warchief posted:

Yeah, she's really on fire.

🔫

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Droyer posted:

https://jii.moe/rJbPyU19x.webm

And holy poo poo, Satou-sensei.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wow. I had a smile on my face the whole time. That was a solid episode from start to finish. My favorite so far.

"It's hard. And thick. And I think the hair would get stuck in my teeth!"
"Never say that in public!"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Kusabe owned this episode with her giggling or grinning at basically everything.

Helter Skelter posted:

And holy poo poo, Satou-sensei.

The her judo flipping some dude and literally making him like it? :haw:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Yuki is now my big favorite as an appreciator of bad/crude jokes.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Macchi sounded so heartbroken near the end :ohdear:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Overlord K posted:

I imagine she watches Gaki mo Tsukai every New Year's and is just a riot of laughter

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Everything that was kind of weird with the Teacher/students hugging stuff was made up for by the joke at the start of this episode.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nate RFB posted:

Everything that was kind of weird with the Teacher/students hugging stuff was made up for by the joke at the start of this episode.

The show is definitely self-aware about some of its weirdness.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Hey that looks familiar.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Kyte posted:

Hey that looks familiar.

OH THAT'S WHAT IT WAS!! I knew that it looked familiar, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. That was the reference!!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Overlord K posted:

Yuki really needed a cute/dumb thing like that. It's cool to see the whole 'cold and shy girl comes out of her shell' thing but having her also have a secret love of bad and crude gags added to it. Seeing a closed off character 'bloom' isn't really satisfying unless they have actual traits to reveal that make them special. Yuki's a goober who likes dumb jokes, no one around her knew that because she was closed off but now she's doing stuff like bringing gag manga to school to enjoy.

Also I'm 100% into the idea of a vampire gag comic where everything is an over-elaborate set-up to feed.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kyte posted:

Hey that looks familiar.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Also I'm 100% into the idea of a vampire gag comic where everything is an over-elaborate set-up to feed.

It's always annoying when a story has an in-universe story that I wish was real.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I feel the same. I'd read the hell out of a series like that.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
If I were Hikari, I'd exploit the hell out of the whole "sun-sensitive" thing to be the only girl in the school allowed to wear colored shirts (for the sake of greater opacity.).

Also, I wish Yuki let her "real self" out more frequently. It's much more interesting than the polite and cheery stereotype she portrays.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
The latest episode was great. I'm glad to see that Yuki has found an ally in her love of goofy humor and it was great seeing Sakie make some progress with Takahashi, also :lol: at her wardrobe malfunction.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

After next episode we'll be done with all the manga which has been translated. Don't know if there's any untranslated stuff to pull from.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hahaha Sakie's half of the episode.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

After next episode we'll be done with all the manga which has been translated. Don't know if there's any untranslated stuff to pull from.

There's like 8 untranslated chapters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The manga exchange being treated like some kind of illicit transaction was great.

• Locked thread