Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Not to mention that, even if Cassandra is actually cheating (if he is, which I don't believe for a moment, he's also an exceptional liar and rationaliser), cheating's no good at all if nobody else actually listens to the intelligence you've gained... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No point in stealing intel if no one does anything with it.

wedgekree posted:

Sooo, the French plan is to try and do a night attack into the town that is thier main objective and the German trenches where the Germans are setting up thier artillery and MG's to get a nice crossfire?

Well... it is dark...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
And that is what happens when Calvary charges into a prepared gun line with machine-guns.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It is now 1am.

Germans
French

Look at that morale bounce on the German side! As I see it: if both sides move forces, the French have a decent chance of pulling this back to at least a stalemate; if only one side moves forces, the Germans probably win more than they are doing at the moment.

And now, the action replay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4NJc7oT-jQ

Turn 31

Turn 32

Turn 35

Turn 36

Turn 37

Again, please note that that wire isn't actually there until after Turn 38 ends.

edit: the way to win, if there is one, is surely for the French to circle round behind the enemy under cover of darkness and then charge their artillery from behind, but I doubt they have time/will think of it.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 3, 2017

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I'm guessing with Cryodude's HQ gone there's no way for the Germans to directly command those remaining survivors huddling in the dark outside Q-Pots...is there a chance some enterprising Oberst among their ranks decides to take the initiative and see if the Allies have truly left the area?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The only way those units can be given orders is if another BHQ comes within 8 inches of a leaderless chit, it can attempt to press them into service with its brigade (as happened with the French 97th after the first attack on St C, and the German 77th after the disaster on Dejeuner).

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So if Mon Pere is dead, is My Dad the player disqualified from giving orders? :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Green Intern posted:

So if Mon Pere is dead, is My Dad the player disqualified from giving orders? :v:

Yes. Hi guys. Feel free to ask any questions.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

my dad posted:

Was it worth personally entering the fray?

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

my dad posted:

Welcome to the first of many French officers that the legend of Xthetenth is going to get killed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lazyfire posted:

Was it worth personally entering the fray?

In the gameplay sense? Of course not. It was a straight up malus to our team without a single benefit as result of it. But I hope it provided some entertainment for everyone. After all, I was both a player and a public performer. :)

Besides, I never liked how most of the lovely generals who sent entire towns to die in the meatgrinder never faced danger themselves, and I figured at least one should put the money where the mouth is and take an actual, almost certainly lethal risk.

If you're asking about the final charge, I had a dim hope that the enemy was doing some pointless busywork reorganizing themselves in the middle of the night, and that it might give me a chance to do something other than just being vaporized by concentrated firepower.

Notahippie posted:

Welcome to the first of many French officers that the legend of Xthetenth is going to get killed.

I actually drew the orders before xthetenth's charge, although I didn't post them in the thread until they became relevant. You could have seen Trin's cryptic comment in roll20 about someone's thunder being stolen before the turn result was posted. This is what it was about.

e: Well, minor correction. I planned the orders. I expected the deployment to be near la Crepe, and had to make adjustments when Trin posted the deployment zone on roll20.

my dad fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 4, 2017

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

my dad posted:

Since death has freed you from the confines of time and space, what do you think was your biggest missed opportunity in the battle?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Since death has freed you from the confines of time and space, what do you think was your biggest missed opportunity in the battle?

None, really, considering the fog of war and the uncertainties of the scenario. Not counting the initial brigadier lazyness in setting up basic alternative orders in case things don't go as planned, there's a lot of things we could have done better in small ways, but nothing that stand out too much. Had we known everything you guys did? Of course. There's probably a perfect set of orders that wins us the game within the first 12 turns or so via casualties, or just having the cavalry swing around to our main objective while the rest of the army digs in in just the right places.

Still, looking at the full scenario, it was a German game to lose rather than a French game to win, and unfortunately for us, the German team only shot themselves in the foot, followed by shooting themselves in the dick, rather than straight up comitting suicide.

I'm absolutely proud of my team for what they did and how they worked together, and would feel confident in any team position if it involved working with them again. (late edit: Well, on account that they'd all actually follow orders this time, instead of the commander needing to explain later that yes, this order you disobeyed was important, and no, you can't go back and change it, that ship has sailed)
I feel a bit lovely for loving them up with my insane personal charge, but again, looks like it didn't really change anything. Flanking the Germans right now is a pipe dream if you aren't reading the German thread and don't have a way of knowing what they intend to do with their brigades.

I'm glancing over the German thread, and I have to give my props to Hey Gail for the general sense of chivalry. Would gladly get killed by your pixelmans again in another game.

As an aside, I'm sort of weirded out by all you guys saying that we weren't aware of the German team taking Quatreprouts. We figured what was about to happen when the Germans attacked the hill. We just didn't worry about it too much, because what exactly could we do to stop it? It's not like DOOOM AND GLOOOM would have helped us. We instead planned to retake it, and did so successfully. Sucks that we didn't fully understand the nature of the objectives, but c'est la guerre.

e: Made an edit, put it at the wrong place, lmao, fixed that

my dad fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 4, 2017

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

my dad posted:

In the gameplay sense? Of course not. It was a straight up malus to our team without a single benefit as result of it. But I hope it provided some entertainment for everyone. After all, I was both a player and a public performer. :)

Besides, I never liked how most of the lovely generals who sent entire towns to die in the meatgrinder never faced danger themselves, and I figured at least one should put the money where the mouth is and take an actual, almost certainly lethal risk.

Well, you got to have fun with it. I don't really think you were going to be able to change the nature of the game no matter what by the time you got into the fray, but the Charge of the Light Brigade re-enactment was still probably not what you had anticipated here.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lazyfire posted:

Well, you got to have fun with it. I don't really think you were going to be able to change the nature of the game no matter what by the time you got into the fray, but the Charge of the Light Brigade re-enactment was still probably not what you had anticipated here.

No, it was obviously one of the possible outcomes. Even if I had failed to take it into account myself, I had Bacarruda repeatedly telling the likeliest result of charging St. Croissant head on, namely a bunch of dead cavalry.

I gambled, and I lost. As simple as that. I just made sure that there's something to make the failure worth it, even if it's outside the game.

Much of the decisionmaking process wasn't about certainties, it was about weighing the odds and the risks, making a plan, and hoping for the best. I chewed out my Chief of Staff for constantly assuming that the German team can somehow simultaneously perform several contradictory worst case scenarious for us without making any mistakes in the process. No. You need to leave room in your plans for enemy fuckups and a way for you to try to exploit them. For example, the German team may be able to exploit one of our team's mistakes if they send someone the long way to Quatreprouts, even though the rational thing for us to do is to garrison it. Whether they do so or not is up to them.

There seems to be a massive misunderstanding about the nature of our plans here. I understand why this thread makes it, since most of that discussion was on roll20, but it's weird that Trin seems to have missed it completely, considering he was reading it as it was discussed. We had a completely different interpretation of the mission objectives than what they actually were.

As given, the scenario is about the massive armies of Germany and France clashing... somewhere, for something. We were sent to seize a critical objective in an important part of the front, as a part of this larger battle. So, on the map, we're told to take and hold Saint Croissant and Faibleimpot, with the information that seizing Faibleimpot will send a messenger who will start a countdown until the main force of the French Army arrives and the battle ends, with the note that the army will be pissed off if we don't actually hold the objective.

Putting the above together, our assumption was that taking the objective, getting the runner through and notifying command, and then failing to hold it, was actually worse than never getting to it in the first place. We've told our army to commit a huge force to a place that isn't properly prepared to support their advance, and have hosed up the whole army's effort to win the greater fight.

If you want proof, consider Operation Guillotione. Instead of sneaking in a cavalry unit to our main objective as fast as possible, we were setting up an artillery line capable of holding off a desperate final attack by the entire German force. We were going to have the reinforcements set up a killzone, and then take the place with the BEF to ensure that there's almost no chance for Faibleimpot to be taken back by the enemy.
When we figured out that the enemy objective was Quatreprouts, we were actually glad that they're making a desperate push for it. Knowing that we had incoming reinforcements, we knew that we'll have enough of a force to recapture it relatively quickly, and that the enemy corps was semi-paralyzed by our forces on Clemenceau. So we'd kick them out, and then send someone to take Faibleimpot since the enemy just wasted most of their force on this attack and voila! The Germans army commits to a place where they not only fail to control the main objective, we're in control of our main objective, and the French army is coming to kick them in the nuts hard.

In short, we weren't even playing the same game as the German team.

my dad fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 4, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So now that you have access to the German thread and Observer thread discussions, what is your impression of the forever ignored CrazyCryoDude? A lot of us here seem baffled that despite being correct over and over again, the rest of his team never listen to him.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah, if the German attack on Dejeuner had continued instead of pulling back to St. C then your charge would have probably rolled them up straight through the town. Honestly I think both sides have played a good hard-fought game throughout, gotta tip my hat to all involved for keeping it a close game.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ViggyNash posted:

So now that you have access to the German thread and Observer thread discussions, what is your impression of the forever ignored CrazyCryoDude? A lot of us here seem baffled that despite being correct over and over again, the rest of his team never listen to him.

I haven't really read the German thread beyond a casual glance.

If you're asking me if I think he's cheating, no, I'm assuming that everyone is playing fair, since cheating in a game like this is a ridiculously petty, and ultimately meaningless thing to do, and from what I've seen of him elsewhere, he doesn't seem like that kind of person. I'd like to congratulate on for being so good at guessing our plans that well.

If you're asking me what I think about the clusterfuck... Hm... CCD's failure is that of communication. He needs to learn how to present his views without pissing people off too much, it's a rather important skill for working in teams. As for his team, some goddamn growing up is in order for some of them, holy loving poo poo.

For a counterpart on our side, I disagreed with some of Loel's ideas, but his assumptions were pretty much constantly on the money, and we learned to pay close attention to them. Jesus Christ, acknowledging that someone on your team is on to something is not supposed to be that hard of an achievement.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Will you be returning in round 2? Would you be allowed to?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Flesnolk posted:

Will you be returning in round 2? Would you be allowed to?

That's up to Trin, although I'd certainly love to. :) Even with some of the difficulties we had, I really like my team, and would enjoy tackling another challenge with them, as a leader or a subordinate, doesn't matter.

Although before that, there's some anvils that I need to drop on Trin's foot with regards to this scenario, and his opinion may change after that. I'll wait for him to show up here before doing that, though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
For my money, I think giving someone else time to shine would be better. I say we should mix things up with each game. New setups, new strategies.

Not that you shouldn't play at all, but maybe not the head honcho.

my dad posted:

Although before that, there's some anvils that I need to drop on Trin's foot with regards to this scenario, and his opinion may change after that. I'll wait for him to show up here before doing that, though.

Is it about the scenario layout orientation being obfuscated?

e: Here's a eulogy of sorts for the fallen French leader:

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Slim Jim Pickens, Interrim Corps Commander

Official Telegram Notice

Attention, noble officers and enlisted men, currently engaged in valiant defense of St. Croissant and surroundings. I am with heavy heart and great sorrow, for we have heard reports that our dearly beloved Generale mon pere, is currently missing in action, having bravely and gallantly saved Quatreprouts from vile boche depravity, and gone on to lead the first charge into Saint Croissant itself! Heave, French hearts, our general's love for patrie bid him selflessly advance upon war-fevered Hun, guns, rifles, and shells be damned!

Pray that he return to us, in spirit or in body, for France will not forget a hero of his calibre! In the interim, I will be taking over the role of emotional Corps Commander, so that we can all have somebody to blame if catastrophic failure finds us in the future.

Soit brave!

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 4, 2017

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
From the observer thread it has been interesting reading and very fun to see how folks plan tactics adn contingencies and I enjoy the perspecitve you add in saying how you handled things!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I've personally been very impressed by my dad's leadership, and I think it had a massive impact on their success.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Such as it is, given I'm pretty sure the Germans would have to lose on purpose at this point.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Since the Germans aren't going to move any time soon, the French just need to find a position from where they can just casually start lobbing bombs until either the Germans move or get splattered.

Edit: Cryodude has spoken:

Crazycryodude posted:

Ok, I've slept on it and think I can be a bit more civil now.

After doing some more thinking, I'm still of the opinion that sending Saros towards Haltebruit is the best thing to do. Up until last turn, what I would be doing in their shoes is getting everything lined up on a line from roughly Dejeuner to Clemenceau for a massed attack at the crack of dawn. Now that Mon Pere is dead and the Entente's ability to change orders is in all likelihood thoroughly shot to hell, they're probably going to be reduced to stumbling around on previous orders and unable to send the "go" signal - at least, not to everybody at once. So, the two things that could happen are either they trickle in piecemeal and get vaporized basically no matter which direction they come from, or they have to send every single unit an order saying "go at time X", which is probably a billion years in the future (or at least well after our timer runs out a single hour after sunrise) to make sure everybody's got enough time to roll well on the change of orders and get in position while accounting for the getting lost factor and the wrecked C&C that comes with a dead corps commander.

Given that, I think we can get away with sending Saros. The way things are now, we can fend off a series of piecemeal attacks easily, and if they want to mass everything for one big attack it would come after the game's over anyways. Making an end run around all their notional dudes on Dejeuner and into Q is admittedly a bit of a Hail Mary, but it's the end of the game and we can get away with a gamble that would turn a minor victory/stalemate into a proper one. Everyone else just sits where they are and finishes digging their trenches, popping off a few shots at any Frenchmen brave and/or stupid enough to follow their brave Mon Pere in.

This is literally the French plan, holy gently caress. Well, it was Slim Jim's plan, but it seems people are dissenting.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 4, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Since the Germans aren't going to move any time soon, the French just need to find a position from where they can just casually start lobbing bombs until either the Germans move or get splattered.

Except the German reinforcements arrive in the morning, instantly winning the game whatever the French do.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Oh good, I was afraid Team Germany would listen to the person who has been consistently right for once. Glad we avoided that scenario.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
They're going to win instantly when dawn breaks, so they might as well. The funny thing is how the French are planning a morning attack, not knowing it's game over as soon as morning comes.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the possibility of the scenario ending before the french attack is actually one of slim jim's defenses for his attack plan (and did those orders get sent yet?) in the entente thread:

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The boche runner reached St. Croissant some time near 2100. If their battle end timer is also 12 hours, the battle will be over at 0900, before our last attack begins. If they receive on-map reinforcements, we are still in a position to spot them, and that will also cancel the attack, if the brigadiers get those conditional orders.
it's interesting to watch the players attempt to recognize the hidden rules and adapt their strategies to them

and the germans snuck in the orders to head toward Q before adjudication, i think. both sides might end the scenario with a token force in the objective towns. does that cancel out? presumably both reinforcing armies would be similarly delayed by these speedbumps

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
From what I understand, the German runner went out first, meaning German reinforcements will arrive first, meaning German victory.

Now that raises the question of why even have the timer and such, instead of the game ending immediately when one side's runner gets to corps command first.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Ending the battle does not automatically equal a victory. If Mon Pere had pulled off a miracle and ended up in control of St Croissants and Quatreprouts as well as Faibleimpot when the timer expired, the result would almost certainly be no better than a stalemate, and possibly a French victory of some sort, since they would have been in control of their objectives at the end of the battle and the Germans would not be.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Fair enough.

Now to decide what side to join in round two.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's now 5am, and it's almost certainly all over bar the shouting.

French
Germans

Instant replay:

[Turn 43 absent, apologies]

edit: just been in Roll20 and it seems almost certain that we have a consensus for knocking the final six turns on the head and proceeding to the end of the battle, update pending

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 4, 2017

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I can't wait :f5:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The last six turns have been played. Full analysis in each team's thread: in short, this battle is a minor German victory and there will be another battle here in 1915 on the same map, with the following approximate trench line.

French End
German End

:siren: All threads are now open to all players.

Signups for 1914 Part 2: From La Dand to Effyaders, will begin on Monday, with the battle hopefully beginning the Monday after that, 13 March. We're going to need plenty of players, so don't get discouraged if there are already 20 other signups before you.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 4, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Well that was certainly interesting

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Congrats from the peanut gallery to everyone on both sides! Definitely an entertaining and close fought match, here's hoping the same for the next round!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think I speak for everybody when I say that despite the nominal outcome, the French certainly played a better game than us, and that we were literally saved by the bell.

That being said - suck it, you disgusting frogs!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Well, that was fun.

For the record, the reason for my swing from extreme pessimism to a degree of optimism was finding out that we no longer had to worry about the loss limit. With that still in place, we'd have been attritioned to defeat by any major French attack, or so I assumed.

Also, wow. Those failed morale rolls on our part at the beginning really were devastating; I didn't appreciate quite how badly we hurt the French during that exchange.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Parisians Celebrating Flags (On the Same Day as the Battle of St. Croissant)

Cheers to the Germans for taking their hits and powering through a pretty unfortunate opening deployment.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Parisians Celebrating Flags (On the Same Day as the Battle of St. Croissant)

I suppose they're saving the German ones for 1915.

• Locked thread