Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It's because the blacksmith's forge is so hot, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I do appreciate the summer is a drought. It means whatever we couldn't afford to buy/play is now more like summer releases for us (at 20 to 30 bucks off!)

Just getting into Zelda now which might take up a whole month then probably get into dark souls 3 dlc and mass effect but I've got Yakuza, hzd, Nier, maybe both Kingdom Hearts collection, berserk, dangan ronpa and notary games, persona as options and that's just the ps4 games that released this year alone will be out before summer starts.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Combat guide for Horizon: elemental status effects are important but differ by robot and are levered in different ways. Robots that are frozen for example take a ton more damage from puncture weapons like the bow and shotgun thing. The bomb thrower weapon, the trip caster, and the arrow shot gun thing are big damage dealers. Eventually you will see a bow that lets you shoot "tear" arrows. Get this and try it out.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
You can also shoot the tanks that the robots have with the same element to blow them up. It'll do damage to close by dudes as well. If you tear them off they just fall so you can pick them up.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So I just played the "House contruction factory" part in Titanfall 2 and it has the best platforming in a FPS game ever. It also helps that I like almost all guns like the pistol shotgun with three barrels, it's a little big "gently caress you" up close.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Snak posted:

I'm really diggin HZD so far, except for how loving slow it is. I'm like 4-6 hours in, and I feel like the game has barely let me play it between handholding tutorials, cutscenes, and really easy missions. I'm sure that once it opens up, I won't have any more complaints. And I think I'm at that point. But I wanted to really dive into it tonight, and I feel like I was going full steam ahead and spent 4+ hours in the prologue.

Every modern RPG needs to study Mass Effect 2 for how you open a game. All the major characters, conflicts and objectives are established within the first 2 hours with barely a second wasted.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

exquisite tea posted:

Every modern RPG needs to study Mass Effect 2 for how you open a game. All the major characters, conflicts and objectives are established within the first 2 hours with barely a second wasted.

I don't think every game should open like mass effect 2

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

how are PS4 communities?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

All of which are built on 30+ hours of a previous game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Guillermus posted:

So I just played the "House contruction factory" part in Titanfall 2 and it has the best platforming in a FPS game ever. It also helps that I like almost all guns like the pistol shotgun with three barrels, it's a little big "gently caress you" up close.

It's great but they somehow manage to top it with an even better gimmick shortly after. The last 2/3rds of the campaign are completely awesome really.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In Horizon, what level were people at when they beat the game? It's weird, in terms of story beats it feels like I haven't even gotten to the second act but I have filled out about half the map and more than half of the skill tree

I was probably early 30s, like USF, but it's important to note that the final missions start absolutely barfing XP at you, so by the end I was probably close to the 40s. I hadn't done any of the Hunting Lodge challenges yet, and it appears their XP rewards scale to your current level, so I was getting 17,500 XP for acing them, too. Getting to 50 and unlocking the full skill tree is definitely not difficult, and I imagine if you do enough side quests, will probably just happen with the story.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All of which are built on 30+ hours of a previous game.

I think even in the absence of being a sequel ME2 is just really solidly paced from start to finish, but those first couple hours in particular are perfect.

I don't think the opening few hours to Horizon are even all that bad, it gets off the ground a lot faster than TW3 for example.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Pacing is something that more games than not seem to get completely wrong. Mass Effect 2 and Modern Warfare 1 are the only games I'd think of off the top of my head that were excellently paced, and that's really weird.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Well mass effect 2 is one of the best games ever made so it's not that surprising.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Alder posted:

how are PS4 communities?

useless

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Pacing is something that more games than not seem to get completely wrong. Mass Effect 2 and Modern Warfare 1 are the only games I'd think of off the top of my head that were excellently paced, and that's really weird.

It's crazy the amount of plot development ME2 throws at you within those first opening moments without being overwhelming. Within the first 90 minutes alone you get..

- The original Normandy is destroyed and Shepard is spaced
- Shepard is resurrected by Cerberus
- Shepard meets Miranda and TIM
- Central threat established in the form of the Collectors
- Shepard gets new crew and new Normandy
- We have to assemble a team and do the suicide mission to win the game

That's it! All the conditions driving ME2 are laid down in the same timeframe it takes Geralt to dick around White Orchard talking to slack-jawed yokels and play a couple rounds of Gwent. Now I know all games have their own pace, and open worlds are generally more cumbersome and deliberate in their unfolding, but ME2 should be studied for how to adequately capture a player's interest from the very beginning and keep it burning high throughout.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

It's always been video games biggest obstacle but I think the last 5 or so years has seen a lot of well paced games, at least of the linear story driven variety. Open world stuff usually suffers the most in that dept.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

It's always been video games biggest obstacle but I think the last 5 or so years has seen a lot of well paced games, at least of the linear story driven variety. Open world stuff usually suffers the most in that dept.

It's certainly a design challenge in a genre where people expect 40+ hours of gameplay by default. How do you craft a well-paced story while also giving players the freedom to do whatever they want? Give them too much freedom and it's easy to lose sight of your goals or what you're supposed to accomplish. Too little and everything begins to feel too linear. The best you can do is try to segment the major plot beats in regular, predictable intervals so that the player always has a sense of where to go next and when to move on. It also helps to have a central plot and characters that people actually care about.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yup. I'm sure that's why they have decided to time the story around the player instead of the other way around. it will never not cause a level of detachment when playing though.

I do hope that someday designers figure out a good way to keep open world games moving instead of having the world come to a screeching halt until you prompt the start of a mission. I know it would be incredibly hard to do well and the few games that do it are sort of designed around that mechanic.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

exquisite tea posted:

It's certainly a design challenge in a genre where people expect 40+ hours of gameplay by default.

That's a completely fair point, but there are piles upon piles of six hour long single player shooters that are terribly paced as well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SamBishop posted:

I was probably early 30s, like USF, but it's important to note that the final missions start absolutely barfing XP at you, so by the end I was probably close to the 40s. I hadn't done any of the Hunting Lodge challenges yet, and it appears their XP rewards scale to your current level, so I was getting 17,500 XP for acing them, too. Getting to 50 and unlocking the full skill tree is definitely not difficult, and I imagine if you do enough side quests, will probably just happen with the story.

This makes sense, I have full-gold on three of the Hunting Lodges and I haven't even gotten to Meridian yet at level 29.

Also now that I have gotten over me fear of consumables and realized, oh, I can craft hundreds of these bombs and traps instantly so I should just be dumping, combat is really fun. Also getting silent sprint and being able to repeatedly backstab in combat, also fun.

Now I am wishing I could have more than 4 weapons on my wheel at once because they are all pretty cool.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They're only useless cause no one around here uses them, but they work pretty well imo. There's a no-hacker Diablo community that's pretty much the only reasonable way to play that game with randoms because you can tag community parties with exactly what kind of things you're interested in doing. I heard people were using communities to do the same thing in Destiny for nightfalls and stuff.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Horizon's Hard difficulty feels like the way it's supposed to be played. Towards the end, I've got all my stuff upgraded, and major encounters can be beat in three to five attempts at most.

Cauldrons are a little tricky and don't have as good a way of ensuring you're within the right gearing/level to handle it, and once you're by the end, it's too late.

I probably wouldn't have able to beat the second one if I hadn't put explosives everywhere by the end, ACME style.

As long as you remember to shoot tech off bosses/major machines with tearing arrows, you should be good and just do some trial and error. A lot of major machines have a radar on top of them to always detect you as well as some serious gently caress-off weapons.

The game's AI is also super wonky, so you can do well by circling a big unbreakable rock and keep putting arrows into them that way. Most big machines have a level that looks like that.

Using the bunker armour is pretty fun, since you're invincible unless you're an idiot, but it's only there to put on when you're doing small stuff you can't be arsed to spend time on. Probably not for the purists, and only used it to clear errands/side quests before the end.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 4, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

Horizon's Hard difficulty feels like the way it's supposed to be played. Towards the end, I've got all my stuff upgraded, and major encounters can be beat in three to five attempts at most.

Cauldrons are a little tricky and don't have as good a way of ensuring you're within the right gearing/level to handle it, and once you're by the end, it's too late.

I probably wouldn't have able to beat the second one if I hadn't put explosives everywhere by the end, ACME style.

As long as you remember to shoot tech off bosses/major machines with tearing arrows, you should be good and just do some trial and error. A lot of major machines have a radar on top of them to always detect you as well as some serious gently caress-off weapons.

The game's AI is also super wonky, so you can do well by circling a big unbreakable rock and keep putting arrows into them that way. Most big machines have a level that looks like that.

Using the bunker armour is pretty fun, since you're invincible unless you're an idiot, but it's only there to put on when you're doing small stuff you can't be arsed to spend time on. Probably not for the purists, and only used it to clear errands/side quests before the end.

I'm playing it on Very Hard, and I can't really imagine it what it's like on a lower difficulty. Hard is probably pretty good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm glad I stuck it out with Very Hard because now I'm beginning to feel like robot Neo as I effortlessly sidestep and impale Ravagers.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Without spoilers, can I ask if Aloy's personality comes out through the cutscenes? My biggest problem with female protagonists in games is I feel like they are universally characterized very poorly. I played through the new Tomb Raider and didn't really get any sense of who Laura Croft is when she isn't slaughtering dozens of dudes. The only game where Samus Aran has dialogue is basically character assassination. Is she characterized well? Does she have personality traits or is she just like silently nodding while people assign her quests to go farm dino-robot butts?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

aloy is very experessive

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Without spoilers, can I ask if Aloy's personality comes out through the cutscenes? My biggest problem with female protagonists in games is I feel like they are universally characterized very poorly. I played through the new Tomb Raider and didn't really get any sense of who Laura Croft is when she isn't slaughtering dozens of dudes. The only game where Samus Aran has dialogue is basically character assassination. Is she characterized well? Does she have personality traits or is she just like silently nodding while people assign her quests to go farm dino-robot butts?
play tales of berseria

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Although it's not exactly mindblowing stuff, Aloy actually has a distinct personality with consistent characterization. She's got a chip on her shoulder from growing up as an outcast and knows she's hot poo poo. She responds positively to instances of compassion + justice while being really critical of tradition, as someone who has been shunned all her life might plausibly react. She's also voiced by Ashly Burch who does a pretty good job here.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Aloy is one of the most badass protagonists in a awhile. Of any gender. I don't think it would be wrong to say that she is better characterized than Ciri was in Witcher 3. Which isn't crazy, Aloy is the main protagonist, while you barely played as Ciri.

edit: ^ like someone else said in one of these threads, the best thing about Aloy's personality is there's no dissonance between what you accomplish as a player and what the character thinks of her capabilities. At one point, she's like "So if we clear out of all robots from the valley, they'll open the gate?" "probably, but, I can't spare any warriors to help with that" "Did I say I needed help?" "...you're going to clear the entire valley by yourself?" "I'm good with a bow.".

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 4, 2017

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

She very much has her own personality and motivations. Up to the point I'm at now she has been acting exactly how I'd expect given her character development.

Edit. Some people complain, but I really dig her self-narrative thing she has. Not only does it fit her exile/hunter mindset but works perfectly if you like playing with dynamic hud.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 4, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I turned it down to normal and still die all the time. I'm glad that we can all play on our preferred difficulties

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Retro42 posted:

She very much has her own personality and motivations. Up to the point I'm at now she has been acting exactly how I'd expect given her character development.

Edit. Some people complain, but I really dig her self-narrative thing she has. Not only does it fit her exile/hunter mindset but works perfectly if you like playing with dynamic hud.

Yeah, Aloy is definitely better characterized than Lara Croft or Generic Far Cry Protagonist.

And yes, the way she talks to herself all the time makes total sense with her backstory

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lara's characterization in RotTR was so unfortunately one-note. "I must live up to my father's name!" *25 hours pass with no development* "Oh well maybe I have to let things go." All the while she's uncovering lost civilizations that haven't even been written about for 1,000 years and mercilessly no-scoping an entire paramilitary operation with a compound bow. I loved Rise but Horizon is kind of blowing it out of the water with their main character.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My only complaints with the game are that, despite having a "custom" hud option with like 20 things on it, you can still only turn off like half the hud, and the autosave system is really weird.

You need to manually save all the time, unless you are doing a quest. So if you're on a quest to go get a thing and then get another thing, it autosaves every step of progression. If you go halfway across the map killing poo poo and crafting poo poo and leving up and unlocking poo poo, it doesn't save at all because you're not "on a quest". Like, I get it. I have to manually save. But like, why? Why autosave every 10 feet "on a quest" and never when I'm pursuing a quest marker that isn't being tracked as my active quest? It's just weird that it's both ways.

Otherwise it's really, really good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Just finished the first ending of Nier Automata. Now the real game starts.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just finished the first ending of Nier Automata. Now the real game starts.

i literally do not have enough time to play horizon, zelda, and nier before persona arrives. it seems like you have all three, can you rank them so i can decide which of zelda or nier to pick up next

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

i literally do not have enough time to play horizon, zelda, and nier before persona arrives. it seems like you have all three, can you rank them so i can decide which of zelda or nier to pick up next
That's a tough one. I am leaning towards Zelda, but last night spent the whole time playing Nier because I entered an area with absolutely insane music, so that might be superficial. Horizon is maybe third for me right now just because it's not bizarre like Nier and not wonderfully quiet and reflective like Zelda. Again, maybe superficial things.

edit: one thing about Nier is that at least on normal, it's way easier than the others. You can be an unhittable whirling robot death machine really easily if you have any background in normal Platinum action games and even if you get hit, you can set up auto-potion and auto HP regen and basically not worry.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 5, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

They're different games but I'd say Zelda > Nier > Horizon but all three are good games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite things about HZD is how good the movement feels. Most open world games have a lot of terrain that you're going to try to traverse, even if you're not supposed to. It's usually a lot of skittering and sliding doen stuff. Aloy has really good footing, in a way that feels fun. Jumping and running uo steap mountains like a skyrim horse doesn't feel like some bullshit, it feels awesome. Like, I'm not climbing this mountan because of "lol open world game terrain physics" but because Aloy is a badass.

Like, in HZD, I look at some rock formation that might be awkward to traverse and I can just wing it most of the time. In lots of games it would be a tedious process of jumping against one side of it at one angle, nope, try a different angle, trying to fund the exploitable angle that lets me get up it.

Not only is HZD not like is, it also doesn't feel like big rig racing offroading uo and down hills for no reason.