Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Jesus Viking, how many short tracks does New England, New York , and New Jersey HAVE? Just found out about this one (which has sadly closed..) via a clip of the movie "Arthur"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X03KitgIrxk

Tell me about this track (Danbury) if you got any info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

CBJSprague24 posted:

In addition, FOX Sports announces several minor start time updates to its 2017 FOX NASCAR television schedule:

gently caress you, NASCAR, some people nearly everybody at that drat racetrack has to work the next day. Including me. :ramsay:

This is so terrible that I suspect this may be part of a seceret plan to kill the race so they don't have to do dirt anymore.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Jesus Viking, how many short tracks does New England, New York , and New Jersey HAVE? Just found out about this one (which has sadly closed..) via a clip of the movie "Arthur"

I posted a tad about it when you asked about Don Lajoie the other day. We had the elf statues the Fairgrounds had at OCFS on top of our grandstands. It was basically an invite only type of place and one of the crown jewels of paved mod racing back in the day. No junk cars, everything was turned out professionally and it was known as a hard to win at place because of that. No field fillers at all. It was about 30 minutes from me by way of I-84, my dad used to go there occasionally.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Harveygod posted:

This is so terrible that I suspect this may be part of a seceret plan to kill the race so they don't have to do dirt anymore.

The race itself isn't terribly long (the feature is only like an hour and a half), but for the fans (who still come out in decent numbers in spite of a) it being a work night and b) an hour from any decent-sized population center and c) a sport on the decline) who have to mill out to the parking lots, sit in some traffic leaving the traffic, and have to go home to get up the next morning, it sucks. It's pants on head stupid on the part of NASCAR, FOX, and/or Eldora. Then there are the fans who might not care to stay up late enough for one of the better races of the year.

I wonder if this is some sort of litmus test to figure out how many people may watch a weeknight Cup race (i.e., who's devoted enough willing to stay up to 11pm Eastern).

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Norns posted:

Are there any good season review videos for the 80s 90s and 00s anywhere?

Just find another racing car series to watch.

Old footage is just going to make the inevitable more painful. We saw some cool poo poo, you didn't.

I heard rallycross is pretty brotastic. Open wheel is still putting on a few good shows. Your local dirt track will put on a better race than anything you'll see on TV at least once a week.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Norns posted:

Are there any good season review videos for the 80s 90s and 00s anywhere?

NASCAR never really did official season reviews, outside a few years. The best way to get into old racing is just to watch old races.

I'll be honest: for most old seasons, the championship battle isn't really that enthralling, they just ran like 30 races and someone ended up getting more points than everyone else. There's a few exceptions (1989, 1992) but NASCAR is really about the races above all else.

For a fun old race to watch, here's the 1989 Pepsi 400.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rgkELQwyIU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I watched Cale's last Daytona win. DW post race was funny "I knew he was faster than me so no point getting all worked up about it when it happened"

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

CBJSprague24 posted:

In addition, FOX Sports announces several minor start time updates to its 2017 FOX NASCAR television schedule:

gently caress you, NASCAR, some people nearly everybody at that drat racetrack has to work the next day. Including me. :ramsay:

Could that be an estimate of the start of the Main race? I can't imagine they'd start heats that late.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bigbillystyle posted:

Could that be an estimate of the start of the Main race? I can't imagine they'd start heats that late.

I'm figuring that has to be it. If coverage of the race starts at 9:30, you're probably looking at a 9:45-9:50 green flag after the Anthem/command/Tony Stewart's Four-Wide Pyro Salute To The Fans.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

FuzzySkinner posted:

i mean just within an hour of where i used to live, we had albany-saratoga (a 5 minute drive from my house), lebanon valley (went here a whole lot) and fonda (never went because everyone said it sucks)

northeast is just absolutely littered with short tracks

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I have to look at a loving photo gallery to see the qualifying results on NASCAR.com?

gently caress you NASCAR.

(Yes, I tried to look on Jayski. The PDF wasn't working.)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

I posted a tad about it when you asked about Don Lajoie the other day. We had the elf statues the Fairgrounds had at OCFS on top of our grandstands. It was basically an invite only type of place and one of the crown jewels of paved mod racing back in the day. No junk cars, everything was turned out professionally and it was known as a hard to win at place because of that. No field fillers at all. It was about 30 minutes from me by way of I-84, my dad used to go there occasionally.

don't forget drag racing

I know you know exactly what I'm thinking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnHhrtnBMNQ

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Elitist Bitch posted:

I have to look at a loving photo gallery to see the qualifying results on NASCAR.com?

gently caress you NASCAR.

(Yes, I tried to look on Jayski. The PDF wasn't working.)

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/race-center/2017/monster-energy-nascar-cup-series/folds-of-honor-quiktrip-500.qualifying.html

???

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

VikingSkull posted:

The thing about the average NASCAR fan is they lead boring, normal lives while also holding dumb opinions of the sport that they'll gladly share on a whim. Couple this with being an older demographic that doesn't really "get" social media and you have that post.

Sounds a lot like people in this thread. Or just me.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

gret posted:

Sounds a lot like people in this thread. Or just me.

Kind of sort of. We have a grasp of what the racing is now and not wishing it was the 70s and 80s again though racing would probably be subpar to today's racing.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower

financially racist posted:

i mean just within an hour of where i used to live, we had albany-saratoga (a 5 minute drive from my house), lebanon valley (went here a whole lot) and fonda (never went because everyone said it sucks)

MA used to be full of them too. Lakeville Speedway, Westboro Speedway, and Norwood Arena were all within an hour of me, Norwood even had Grand National in the 60's. I was born about 10 years too late for them, but Seekonk is still going pretty strong. There's a really cool little racing museum in Pawtucket, RI that has a few old cars and a ton of stuff from the old tracks.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

SwampYankee posted:

MA used to be full of them too. Lakeville Speedway, Westboro Speedway, and Norwood Arena were all within an hour of me, Norwood even had Grand National in the 60's. I was born about 10 years too late for them, but Seekonk is still going pretty strong. There's a really cool little racing museum in Pawtucket, RI that has a few old cars and a ton of stuff from the old tracks.

It would have been nice if that track was still 5 minutes away from my job.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Why do they only show the top 12 Nationwide qualifying? Did the intern just say gently caress it I am not typing anythign else?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

exploded mummy posted:

don't forget drag racing

Man, back in the day all my mom and her cousins had to do was cross the Hudson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCznWkdNC2Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln-Fuy878hg

financially racist posted:

Within 90 minutes of me I have OCFS, Lebanon Valley, Accord, Bethel, Wall, and Riverhead..... Thompson and Stafford aren't much farther, and then there's Albany-Saratoga, Fonda, the PA tracks, etc etc. A 4 hour drive gets me to maybe two dozen different short tracks, lol

The other thing worth noting is we hardly have any bullrings. Accord is a quarter mile, but by and large all the tracks up here are half miles.

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 4, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Is the Atlanta resurface next year?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

exploded mummy posted:

don't forget drag racing

:flashfap:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

SwampYankee posted:

Can't forget about Riverside Park Speedway before they tore it down to make Six Flags. I only got to go there once though.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Pit road really was anarchy back then

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rumors are Vegas is apparently getting a second Cup race, which means an SMI property is going to lose a date.

Elephanthead posted:

Why do they only show the top 12 Nationwide qualifying? Did the intern just say gently caress it I am not typing anythign else?

I turned the NXS race on to have as white noise while I did work and turned it off when AA/Mikey/Chase talked about how lucky the rookies are to have six Buschwackers take stage points from series regulars in the first segment.

The more things change...

Norns posted:

Is the Atlanta resurface next year?

Yes.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 4, 2017

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Whichever one of you brilliant jerks named your fantasy team "Scuderia Arby's," I've been laughing about it for three loving days.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I also made this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

I also made this

2017 world post of the year

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
tweet that to nihilist arby's

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

there's nothing else on, but god the XFS is a loving pointless endeavor right now.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Neodoomium posted:

I also made this

:lol:

This is amazing

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CBJSprague24 posted:

Rumors are Vegas is apparently getting a second Cup race, which means an SMI property is going to lose a date.

People assume that it's gonna come from the fall races, which makes it either Texas, New Hampshire or Charlotte.

All three would be hilarious for different reasons. I guess Charlotte or New Hampshire make sense from "gently caress tradition" and "lmao moar 1.5 milers for the 1.5 mile god"

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Neodoomium posted:

I also made this

That was me and this is fantastic.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Neodoomium posted:

I also made this

flame broiled

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

algebra testes posted:

People assume that it's gonna come from the fall races, which makes it either Texas, New Hampshire or Charlotte.

All three would be hilarious for different reasons. I guess Charlotte or New Hampshire make sense from "gently caress tradition" and "lmao moar 1.5 milers for the 1.5 mile god"

Something tells me it's New Hampshire cause Charlotte will never give up a date, Texas :lol:, and that leaves New Hampshire on the cutting block.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Having two dates at any track is dumb and giving another to a cookie cutter is doubling down.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

LASTCAR posted:

Having two dates at any track is dumb and giving another to a cookie cutter is doubling down.

It wasn't horrible pre-1995 or so.

Mainly because Cup stuck with venues in markets where they were well-liked and a decent mix of oval types to boot.

if you lived in North Carolina during that time for example...? You could go to SIX Cup races a year in theory without leaving the state. Not to mention 2 in South Carolina to your south, and 4 in Virginia to your north.

Now? it's just a trash schedule.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hilarious now that they could have probably gone back to NWS if it was still active because the 32 car limit doesn't seem to glaring these days.

As I typed that out I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

If I remember right, the Fall Texas race had one of the worst crowds I've seen at a Cup race last season.

Not that that would matter to Bruton, he's just finally going to shaft NHMS, which we've been predicting since Bob Bahre sold him the track.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Bulldoze all 1.5m triovals that aren't Charlotte and return Atlanta to its true glory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

mearn posted:

That was me and this is fantastic.

:hfive:

• Locked thread