Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Heavy Metal posted:

Thanks!

Question about doing a flurry rush (from side jump or backflip). I did it once or twice earlier, with a sword I think, but at the moment I get the slow-mo and mash Y, but only get one swing in. Trying it with both a one handed Boko club or two handed Boko Bat, since I don't have a sword currently. Trying it out on skeletons, Link only does one swing of the weapon at the end, most of the slow-mo is him just jumping while mashing Y doesn't do anything. Any ideas/tips?

Mash slower. More rhythmically. Try to match the flashing of the button or the speed of your swings (if doing a rush with a two handed weapon). If using a spear you can basically mash but you have to time it a bit better for the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone found that shine with the rotating cube over water where you need to light all the torches? I'm still stuck on it, keep coming back but I can't even work out how the mechanism to move it works exactly, I feel like there's something obvious I'm missing.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I just cleared the third trial in the first area.

THe Trial with the Stasis Rune. The final puzzle where you have to stasis lock the boulder than hit it with the sledge hammer. I don't get the logic, why wont it move without the power?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Man I literally don't even know what to do to advance here, I can't get to any of the initial 3 shrines.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

THe Trial with the Stasis Rune. The final puzzle where you have to stasis lock the boulder than hit it with the sledge hammer. I don't get the logic, why wont it move without the power?

It has kinetic energy rolling down a hill. When hit with statis you convert that kinetic energy to potential energy by stopping the movement. The force you apply then creates kinetic energy in a different direction.

Or whatever :eng101:

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

BigRed0427 posted:

You dont have the strength. Statis takes all your huts and adds them up at once.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

GobiasIndustries posted:

Man I literally don't even know what to do to advance here, I can't get to any of the initial 3 shrines.

...Walk over to them?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GobiasIndustries posted:

You've marked them on your map yes? One of them should be super easy to get to, you just need to jump over a wall. The other two involve going into a cold area.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Infinity Gaia posted:

Mash slower. More rhythmically. Try to match the flashing of the button or the speed of your swings (if doing a rush with a two handed weapon). If using a spear you can basically mash but you have to time it a bit better for the others.

That sounds like a good idea, also I just realized that the skeleton goes flying and falls apart after one hit, which could be why it's only doing one hit. I was just expecting the flurry to start sooner I guess, so I'll try this out on more durable enemies.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

^Beaten^

Find some bigger guys to gank Lank!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Went for a trek through the gerudo highlands. I had a ton of food so the cold wasn't too bad. Lots of interesting things up there, including a shrine with a super hard (for me) guardian fight in it. It was good practice for learning perfect dodging though, since if it hit me it meant instant death. It dropped a lot of ++ guardian weapons when it died too!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Cojawfee posted:

You've marked them on your map yes? One of them should be super easy to get to, you just need to jump over a wall. The other two involve going into a cold area.

Don't bother trying to kill the senturies, just run. In fact there is one section on the wall you should be able to climb over since the Sentrie's LOS is blocked.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 5, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
by the way loving l m a o at

(necuda lower right of map miniboss spoiler)

taking an hour and many deaths to take down the hinox that's there only to find that he's part of a quest where you need to kill him.... and his two brothers

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Ah poo poo, I missed the easy one and marked one that I could see that was even farther beyond the cold area.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BigRed0427 posted:

so heres the idea

the rock is really really heavy. You can hit it once and it won't move, you arent exerting enough force. when its in stasis, time doesn't exist for it essentially. so you are hitting in a bunch of times and when the rock comes out of stasis it may as well have had all those hits occur instantaneously

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cleared the first dungeon. Holy gently caress bring food.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The wii-u graphics and FPS dips are atrocious lol. It's not unplayable but drat. I'm using a Samsung ks8000. Is there a setting I'm missing or something

Turn your wiiu output down to 720p. Had the same problem in the same TV and that fixed it mostly for me.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

grats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Heavy Metal posted:

Thanks!

Question about doing a flurry rush (from side jump or backflip). I did it once or twice earlier, with a sword I think, but at the moment I get the slow-mo and mash Y, but only get one swing in. Trying it with both a one handed Boko club or two handed Boko Bat, since I don't have a sword currently. Trying it out on skeletons, Link only does one swing of the weapon at the end, most of the slow-mo is him just jumping while mashing Y doesn't do anything. Any ideas/tips?

The prompt is counter-intuitive. For the first several seconds of the slow-mo you can't do poo poo, even though it tells you to mash Y. Then after awhile, Y starts making you attack. You can either wait and then hit it or you can just mash it all the while until link starts doing poo poo, it won't hurt.

You must have just mis-timed it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

I love that we're all experiencing our own poo poo with this game. most people probably follow a similar path up to hateno but then all bets are off.

by the way the whole scene where you get into the elephant shrine was really good

also what was that weird glowing thing I saw in the mountains north of hateno?? I bailed because the moon was all red; I just came over a crest in the mountain range and the moon was blood red and there was some glowing dragon thing and had the biggest wtf moment I've probably ever had in a game

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
how can there be an elephant shrine if theres no elephants in hyrule??

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
there might actually be an elephant somewhere in this game though I guess it is a distinct possibility.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ive played multiple hours so far and ive done some shrines and visited the village. thats literally it. ive explored and found cool hidden stuff otherwise

its amazing

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

TFRazorsaw posted:

no.

instead you get enormous walking skeletons.

Is that confirmed? I really love being freaked out by redeads, so very very mildly disappointing if true.

I mean, the lizalfos redesign already makes up for it, but you know.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Walrus posted:

how can there be an elephant shrine if theres no elephants in hyrule??

One of the ancient guardian gundams is an elephant

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

One of the ancient guardian gundams is an elephant

oh sorry i meant guardian not shrine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Walrus posted:

oh sorry i meant guardian not shrine.

oh in that case IDK maybe they don't have them in Hyrule but they've heard of them from some far off not-Africa or something

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
New thread title idea; Breath of the Wild; Off to see the Elephant.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised I haven't heard more talk about the fire sword forged in death mountain considering you get it from such an early quest (treasure hunters in dualing peaks stable). taking swings and burning the grass in the field around you is the coolest thing

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I need a break from this game I played for several hours already today and all day yesterday and I haven't even reached the first real dungeon yet. Guardians suck, getting knocked off your horse sucks, and cool weapons breaking after ~15 hits sucks and yet I'm still playing this loving game what the gently caress is wrong with me?

Here's my new idea for a thread title:

Breath of the Wild: Game Over, man. Game Over.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How do I get to the fourth console in the elephantron??? I can't seem to figure out a way to get on the gears no matter how I fidget with its trunk

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Walrus posted:

I'm surprised I haven't heard more talk about the fire sword forged in death mountain considering you get it from such an early quest (treasure hunters in dualing peaks stable). taking swings and burning the grass in the field around you is the coolest thing

its really cool. i havent used it much because i want to save it for something strong

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Of course I immediately figure it out

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Thus far my only gripe with this game is that the music is quite repetitive and does nothing to differentiate the various zones. You get glimmers of the old Koji stuff in there, like that riff on Lon-Lon / Kakariko that plays in various places, but overall it's pretty drat boring.

I get that they wanted the environment to speak for itself and the atmospheric sounds to take precedence, but I really feel like they went a bit too far and it sort of shallows the atmosphere.

I need me some rippin' flamenco in my Gerudo desert, gosh darn! :argh:

E: Also I just found a campground guarded by like 15 mountain goats. There were 20+ spicy peppers in it. :haw:

Rime fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 5, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Calaveron posted:

How do I get to the fourth console in the elephantron??? I can't seem to figure out a way to get on the gears no matter how I fidget with its trunk

Which? If it's the little spinny wheel. Freeze the water outlet

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Holt poo poo, has anyone else found the magical Valley full of rupee bunnies and creepy music in the mountainous region north of gerudo highlands?

E: Omfg this game is magical. :stonk:

Rime fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 5, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

spasticColon posted:

I need a break from this game I played for several hours already today and all day yesterday and I haven't even reached the first real dungeon yet. Guardians suck, getting knocked off your horse sucks, and cool weapons breaking after ~15 hits sucks and yet I'm still playing this loving game what the gently caress is wrong with me?

Here's my new idea for a thread title:

Breath of the Wild: Game Over, man. Game Over.

I haven't reached the first town yet, still only met one guy in the game so far, probably played at least ten hours. Bill Paxton was right for sure, game over man! Michael Biehn is also right, stay frosty.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rime posted:

Holt poo poo, has anyone else found the magical Valley full of rupee bunnies and creepy music in the mountainous region north of gerudo highlands?

E: Omfg this game is magical. :stonk:

Take pictures and read the beast descriptions. AND USE YOUR STEALTH poo poo RIGHT NOW.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
You should be able to mount a goat and walk straight up cliffs on them 🤔

Also I'm starting to think I'm overdoing it with exploring every square inch of the map. After 15 hours of doing nothing but exploring the plateau and the Necluda province (and whatever shrines I come across) I have 3 pages each of materials and food. I have hundreds of ingredients and monster parts, there's no way I'm ever gonna use all this stuff. And this game is gonna take me over 200 hours at this rate 😳

UZR IS BULLSHIT fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Alright, maybe it just hasn't clicked for me yet

I felt the same way after about an hour when the initial "hell yeah new system new game" feeling wore off. I was kind of going through the motions a bit for a couple of hours after that and then the game clicked for me.

There's definitely an early game malaise that eventually goes away and gets replaced with all the "hell yeah goty" stuff I'm sure you're reading in everyone's posts.