Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
Horizon is in the top right of the image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

So is that supposed to be a mountain side in the background? The power lines or whatever don't really make sense in the tilted one if that's the case

If by tilted you mean the one originally posted, you're correct.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Pick posted:

Plants on cliffs grow outward.

I think it's tilted but not nearly as much as you're suggesting.

Heh, yeah I realize they do but to me the one in the excavator pic looks like a plain old vertical shrub.

KoRMaK posted:

So is that supposed to be a mountain side in the background? The power lines or whatever don't really make sense in the tilted one if that's the case

I think the assumption that those are power lines and need to be perfectly horizontal is what sells the illusion of the rotated pic. There is likely a pole cropped out of the shot that would make sense of it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The power lines make more sense in the first one (the way they sag shows which way gravity is pulling)

weg posted:

The old fashioned crop n' tilt.

but the background mountains (if they are mountain sides) make more sense in the second image. the power line sag makes less sense here, its dubious

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
guys

guys

GUUUYYYS

I think I nailed it!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Guys, even if the excavator operator has balls of steel, who the hell builds a road that isn’t remotely level?

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

weg posted:

I think the assumption that those are power lines and need to be perfectly horizontal is what sells the illusion of the rotated pic. There is likely a pole cropped out of the shot that would make sense of it.

Power lines going up or down a mountainside are definitely not horizontal, and tend to sag a bit differently.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Has anyone said that's a great way to gently caress up your track hoe yet?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Decrepus posted:

Has anyone said that's a great way to gently caress up your track hoe yet?

it doesn't matter if it keels over, its just his side hoe

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think this was the last one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3407406 The most insane poster in that thread may be TheCosmicMuffet.

"Oh yeah, and a multivitamin" always makes me laugh.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just for the record, because I was interested and looked it up, his overall cholesterol level is twice what is considered healthy, and his LDL (bad) cholesterol number is 50% higher then the line where it's considered "dangerously high"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sagebrush posted:

Just for the record, because I was interested and looked it up, his overall cholesterol level is twice what is considered healthy, and his LDL (bad) cholesterol number is 50% higher then the line where it's considered "dangerously high"

His triglyceride numbers are great, though!

I'm in the opposite boat. My total cholesterol is 149, my LDL is 69, but my triglycerides are 229. I blame the beer, which I'm not willing to give up.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

What is it with American workers being so afraid to steal and break poo poo?

I don't know about the breaking poo poo part but allegedly last year my site was losing $100k per month in tools that employees were stealing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"Oh yeah, and a multivitamin" always makes me laugh.

The three month timeline is pretty glorious, too.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sagebrush posted:

i have a cholestoral processing disorder and i've never even come close to his numbers holy christ

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 4, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

Look at the loose stones in the foreground. There’s no way that the original image isn’t misleadingly rotated.

Yeah the angle of repose for that scree is way lower than what's on display. Photoshop.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
I need some advice regarding my current work situation. I work as a power equipment mechanic and we had a pallet of equipment collapse yesterday (in the area where a guy works, thankfully he went home early), which really shocked me into potentially reporting my business for unsafe practices. There's a laundry list of things I find completely wrong with the place: numerous electrical code violations, open 5 gallon buckets of gasoline in a storage shed behind our building, 2 stroke gas stored inside under the bench where we use the propane torch to melt the ends for starter rope, grinders without shields, leaks through the roof (one was through the ceiling fan in a back room), moving 20ft tall pallets of equipment with the forklift with others around. I'm sure I could come up with more if I thought about it, but that's just off the top of my head. We also wash off equipment with a pressure washer and have oil/fuel runoff that isn't contained.

My question is, what governing body would I be best with reporting anonymously to in California, CAL/OSHA or CARB? I'm not looking to bury the business, but to just reign in some of the lunacy we have going on, because the owner/manager doesn't seem to give a poo poo when I bring anything up to him.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Katosabi posted:

I need some advice regarding my current work situation. I work as a power equipment mechanic and we had a pallet of equipment collapse yesterday (in the area where a guy works, thankfully he went home early), which really shocked me into potentially reporting my business for unsafe practices. There's a laundry list of things I find completely wrong with the place: numerous electrical code violations, open 5 gallon buckets of gasoline in a storage shed behind our building, 2 stroke gas stored inside under the bench where we use the propane torch to melt the ends for starter rope, grinders without shields, leaks through the roof (one was through the ceiling fan in a back room), moving 20ft tall pallets of equipment with the forklift with others around. I'm sure I could come up with more if I thought about it, but that's just off the top of my head. We also wash off equipment with a pressure washer and have oil/fuel runoff that isn't contained.

My question is, what governing body would I be best with reporting anonymously to in California, CAL/OSHA or CARB? I'm not looking to bury the business, but to just reign in some of the lunacy we have going on, because the owner/manager doesn't seem to give a poo poo when I bring anything up to him.

I hope you have another job lined up before you do anything.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

satanic splash-back posted:

I hope you have another job lined up before you do anything.

Because they're going to shut us down or because I'm going to get canned? We've actually had OSHA in before (a year before I started) for 2 incidents, once involved an employee cutting his fingers off with a lawnmower (tried to catch it while it was running and falling off whatever he had it propped up on, I never got the whole story), and another that cut the tip of a finger off after getting it wrapped up in a chainsaw chain because he was trying to wire wheel it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Katosabi posted:

Because they're going to shut us down or because I'm going to get canned?

Your shop is getting shut down for at least a while, and that probably means you're getting stood down without pay for a while.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Memento posted:

Your shop is getting shut down for at least a while, and that probably means you're getting stood down without pay for a while.

This is the best case scenario.

That said, you never know, maybe if you call OSHA, someone who would have died at work the next day will sit at home looking for a new job instead of getting killed by unsafe working conditions.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MrYenko posted:

This is the best case scenario.

That said, you never know, maybe if you call OSHA, someone who would have died at work the next day will sit at home looking for a new job instead of getting killed by unsafe working conditions.

That sounds like extra competition for the available jobs.

Wait until AFTER the competition dies, then report the violations.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Platystemon posted:

Power lines sag in the middle

:same:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CannonFodder posted:

That sounds like extra competition for the available jobs.

Wait until AFTER the competition dies, then report the violations.

This is a viable alternate strategy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It sounds like your laundry list would be more interesting to the fire marshall and CARB. But yeah, if you get the fire marshall you're going to get laid off while it gets rehabbed by a contractor.

Comedy slash super serious answer, organize a union and threaten walkouts if conditions aren't improved.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Report to CARB seems like the lowest risk option (to your continued employment, not bodily wellbeing).

They won’t instantly shut the place down .

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I thought air fines were serious business in California because smoggy LA is still in living memory. That is a violation could easily gut the working capital in a fly by night shop and at best your paychecks start coming in a month late.

Interned in paper manufacturing in California and the bit of hardware that adds lotion to tissues straight up had a hood for VOC recovery. Any failure to follow procedure around it was grounds for instant dismissal, which is unique in my experience for being the only no tolerance rule based on environmental issues instead of personal safety.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Planer? Jointer?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhs5L09vqek

I feel like they tried to address all the safety stuff but it just seems like such a terrible idea.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Humerus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhs5L09vqek

I feel like they tried to address all the safety stuff but it just seems like such a terrible idea.

What's not to like. It's all the downsides of a chainsaw mill combined with all the downsides of a bandsaw mill.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Getting back to grinder chat for a moment there, check out this motherfucker on stage during a live Devin Townsend show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Gwtep2oXw&t=198s

Though he's wearing goggles so it's fine.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Getting back to grinder chat for a moment there, check out this motherfucker on stage during a live Devin Townsend show:

That's a gag that circus and burlesque dancers have been doing for a while. Late Night with David Letterman had "grinder girl" and I have a friend who uses one on a metal plate on her crotch as part of her burlesque shtick.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

mobby_6kl posted:

It's ok in this instance because Devin owns

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

mobby_6kl posted:

I wanna be the grinder guy in a screamo band.

I also wanted to be the dancing guy in the ska band back when that was a thing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

mobby_6kl posted:

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 6, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hello? Yes, this is wood.

DiHK posted:

I also wanted to be the dancing guy in the ska band back when that was a thing.

You say that now. 45 minutes into a 2 hour show you'd just die. Or 5, if you're a goon.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hello? Yes, this is wood.

You say that now. 45 minutes into a 2 hour show you'd just die. Or 5, if you're a goon.

Now, 5 minutes for sure. But back in '96 I'd have been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

That really doesn't seem safe.