Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

I really like NWA's music but I didn't watch Straight Outta Compton because all I could think of was the time Dr. Dre cracked a woman's head open against a bathroom wall because she said NWA's music was sexist in an interview, and the rest of the outfit supported him.

It's not a very good movie anyway. Wife and I walked out when they completely glossed over the entire album EFIL4ZAGGIN. Whole thing was just a sloppy beej on Dre and Cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
What's the name of the movie director that raped an underaged girl and then fled to France to avoid extradition? Because a bunch of people ooh and ahh over his movies and how well directed they are and every time someone brings up the whole "separate the art from the artist" thing I always think about what it must be like to constantly have to think to yourself "yeah the guy may be a child rapist but drat if he couldn't direct a fine movie" without going insane.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

What's the name of the movie director that raped an underaged girl and then fled to France to avoid extradition? Because a bunch of people ooh and ahh over his movies and how well directed they are and every time someone brings up the whole "separate the art from the artist" thing I always think about what it must be like to constantly have to think to yourself "yeah the guy may be a child rapist but drat if he couldn't direct a fine movie" without going insane.

Roman Polanski, and Chinatown is a masterpiece :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kai Tave posted:

Keep in mind people have worked with him on purpose after that incident to make new movies.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Keep in mind people have worked with him on purpose after that incident to make new movies.

Oh well that's maybe the least surprising thing in the world.

I do remember that DC comics made a big to-do once about having Orson Scott Card come and write an issue of Superman for them. They eventually quietly shelved that idea for some strange reason. Maybe they didn't care for the subplot that had Superman defending the sanctity of heterosexual marriage while using his laser vision to incinerate a Pride parade.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kai Tave posted:

Being semi-reasonably fair (and I mean this in the defense attorney sense of fair, because Polanski's still pretty hosed up), he didn't flee to avoid charges, he fled because his plea deal with the prosecution was going to be ignored by the judge overlooking the case.

Can't blame the judge for going "nah you raped a child, rear end in a top hat", but he was totally willing to cop to the charges for a lesser sentence, which is something basically anyone's allowed to do in the US legal system, and it's kinda weird that it can be disregarded.

Not a fan of the guy by any means but it is a little more complicated than just dodging the accusations. Still should've just sucked it up and done the jail time though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You're allowed to be a sex criminal as long as you're also Jewish in the film world.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

bob saget

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

In Training posted:

You're allowed to be a sex criminal as long as you're also Jewish in the film world.

Also: poo poo loads of money.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Training posted:

Uh

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
This does not at all disregard his crime but Roman Polanski's wife Sharon Tate was also famously murdered by the Manson Family in extremely gruesome fashion back in 1968. That guy's life is an interesting and horrifying tale.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
And on another note, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yFON2UON3k

If you can't get or otherwise don't want a Switch but own a WiiU, the WiiU version of Zelda apparently looks and performs well. Gonna get it this week after I beat Horizon :dance:

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 5, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
If i buy a switch not in America, will it be in Not American, or can I set the language options however I like?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I thought Nintendo was Japanese

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That was a dick post, so I looked it up but all I can find are articles like this one from last January, saying that the Switch is not region-locked!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jay Rust posted:

That was a dick post, so I looked it up but all I can find are articles like this one from last January, saying that the Switch is not region-locked!

no it's ok i was gonna reply with something equally asinine about what about nintendo of america but then i forgot because i had to pet my pokemon to remove its sleep status

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

New world record by a whole minute!!!

I've stopped measuring my Max Payne 3 NYM HC speedruns by the ingame timer because as it turns out it's really weird about what counts as gameplay or not.

Top video is the world record I just set, the ingame time read "51:38" at the end. Bottom one, despite being longer by two whole minutes, read "50:34". I have no idea why. So instead I'll just be using a standard split timer from now on.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Woah, congratulations CJacobs! Speedrunning is wizardry to me, and it's really impressive to beat the world record. :D

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Woah, congratulations CJacobs! Speedrunning is wizardry to me, and it's really impressive to beat the world record. :D

Thanks, buddy :respek:

I figured I may as well practice what with SGDQ applications opening tomorrow-ish and all :v:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Roman Polanski, and Chinatown is a masterpiece :colbert:

Roman Polanski is a piece of poo poo but to be fair, he made Chinatown before the child sex thing

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
CJacobs is going to speedrun a game with me because I said so right now in this post >:]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

Roman Polanski is a piece of poo poo

Yea, turns out unfortunately a fair amount of talented people are also horrible people :(

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

FirstAidKite posted:

Yea, turns out unfortunately a fair amount of talented people are also horrible people :(

cosby was one that hit hard like running into a brick wall, he always come off as a cool guy, now he raped a shitload of people.

jontron is funny since Danny, who replaced him on game grumps, is Jewish and the show got better in gameplay.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cyron posted:

cosby was one that hit hard like running into a brick wall, he always come off as a cool guy, now he raped a shitload of people.

Tbh the one that comes to mind is shmorky because goddamn some of the flash tub stuff is just amazing but now there's that stink of shmork about it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

CJacobs is going to speedrun a game with me because I said so right now in this post >:]

Okay! As long as it's a fun game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Okay! As long as it's a fun game.

It's gonna be Ultionus. Or Super Clew Land. >:]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Tbh the one that comes to mind is shmorky because goddamn some of the flash tub stuff is just amazing but now there's that stink of shmork about it

I understand that shmorky is a crazy person but what did he do wrong?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Groomed children into sexual roleplay with him

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yiiiiiikes

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

Groomed children into sexual roleplay with him

that's pretty lovely of him

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

The White Dragon posted:

that's pretty lovely of him

funny you said poo poo because it was shown he had a diper fetish.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

He is into Gravity Falls? :chanpop:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

He actually wasn't very good in that aspect of the scenario.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
:nws:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Need to get a new battery for my WiiU controller or something, get like 2 1/2 hours out of a full charge now.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The other issue with the whole art/artist debate is like, where do you draw the line on this stuff? It's not okay to enjoy a Woody Allen movie because of his morals, but it is okay to enjoy like, Sherlock Holmes, even though Arthur Conan Doyle probably (as a Victorian dude) had a lot of moral stances that we'd find abhorrent today? Do you only reject media when the moral failings of the artist are present in the media itself (i.e. Chinatown has no child rape so it's ok, all the Woody Allen movies with uncomfortable student/teacher relationships and huge age differences are not ok)? Should you only try to enjoy the art without financially supporting the artist, if you disagree with them?

I think it's really a matter of personal choice on where you want to stand, but there's a lot of interesting dimensions to the issue that you can consider.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Red Bones posted:

I think it's really a matter of personal choice on where you want to stand

Yeah it's pretty much this. Like whatever you're comfortable with liking, as long as people realize that liking something doesn't mean you condone the actions of the person that made it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Well, anyway...don't forget to vote on the top forums dog.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Need to get a new battery for my WiiU controller or something, get like 2 1/2 hours out of a full charge now.

Based on my experience with the WiiU this seems to be normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Red Bones posted:

The other issue with the whole art/artist debate is like, where do you draw the line on this stuff?

Really it's kind of subjective. Arthur Conan Doyle thought phrenology was cool, but that's, I can cut him some slack 'cause people thought it was legit on account of we were even more fuckin' stupid than we are today a hundred years ago. Jimmy Savile thought it was cool to gently caress kids, but he did that knowing that childfucking hasn't been ok since, like, the Battle of Thermopylae. And then when it's just kinda gray like "George RR Martin is kind of an rear end in a top hat, maybe?" it boils down to "Do I like his work?" And if the answer is no, then yeah, he's a fuckin' rear end in a top hat!

if robert burns was like a secret grand wizard in the kkk... well, to a mouse is too great, i can't hate him

• Locked thread