Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Heartcatch posted:

Largely the same sentiment, I think it is quite early to gauge how mechanics will definitively work out upon release of Utopia.

Still, Clarste does raise a valid issue in that it does seem lacklustre at this particular point on straight comparison with the information that we do have available.

That's only because, once again, only the Psionic path adds a new mechanic. It lacked a mechanic to be based around, so we added one. This was not the case with the other two paths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm not saying Psionic Ascension is going to be bad, or even that it seems bad at this early stage, I was just saying that it doesn't sound more exciting to me than the other two. Maybe a bit less exciting.

Although I guess Synthetic runs into the weird issue where if you know ahead of time that you're going to turn into robots, manually building robots actually becomes less meaningful to you. Although that depends on if they include any kind of "build robots faster" in the package.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Wiz posted:

That's only because, once again, only the Psionic path adds a new mechanic. It lacked a mechanic to be based around, so we added one. This was not the case with the other two paths.

I didn't mean to come off as negatively critical of the psionic path. Quite the opposite, I'm very glad that there is a psionic path and look forward to playing it.

Mostly just feelings this morning.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh, yeah, don't get us wrong - nobody's making GBS threads all over anything. Going back and rereading what I said, I may have gone a little overboard. This is the internet, we always find something to complain about.

That said, are you allowed to tell us if we have to still manually build pops in a fully synthetic empire? Because that's a legitimate big problem I still see.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Wiz, notice me senpai, are buildable superstructures also destructible? Destroying Dyson sphere around the star restores frozen planets?
I guess I will find out in April anyway.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I think my issue with the Synthetic and Biological Ascension paths -- as currently revealed, with the understanding that there are events and such that go along with them which we haven't seen -- don't really offer much that's new. Biological at least expands bio-engineering options, but Synthetic just gets an easier way to do something which is already possible for zero Ascension Perks (turning all your pops into synthetics). Spending two perks on reduced micromanagement is just completely un-interesting to me. They don't even get new portraits (currently)!

That's not to say I'm not excited to buy Utopia. The expansion as a whole looks amazing and I want it yesterday. I just doubt I'll really play with the Synthetic path.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Dwesa posted:

Wiz, notice me senpai, are buildable superstructures also destructible? Destroying Dyson sphere around the star restores frozen planets?

we know space habits can not be destroyed once built, i would assume the superstructures are the same

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I SEEM to remember hearing a confirmed "no" on destroying megastructures somewhere, but I can't find it so don't take this as proof.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Dwesa posted:

presumably even if they were, destroying one wouldn't restore the frozen planets, you can't freeze and defrost a planet and have it be good as new

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When wiz announced manual synthetic pop construction it tore away my ability to not feel human.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

No destructible mega structures for now.

Crazycryodude posted:

That said, are you allowed to tell us if we have to still manually build pops in a fully synthetic empire? Because that's a legitimate big problem I still see.

Very much this. Otherwise Synth seems to be the minimal micro path compared to bio where you have to engineer different pops for different roles to get the most out of it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

presumably even if they were, destroying one wouldn't restore the frozen planets, you can't freeze and defrost a planet and have it be good as new

Well, theoretically they're freezing because they're losing all their sunlight. With the Dyson Sphere gone and the sun back they'd eventually warm up. I mean, everything would still be dead, but the planets would be warmer.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 4, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
in order to unfreeze them, you must then built the new mega-structure "planet sized microwave"

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

in order to unfreeze them, you must then built the new mega-structure "planet sized microwave"

That just reminds me that I still want Ur-Quan slave shields for enemy home worlds.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Clarste posted:

Well, theoretically they're freezing because they're losing all their sunlight. With the Dyson Sphere gone and the sun back they'd eventually warm up. I mean, everything would still be dead, but the planets would be warmer.

barren worlds with 'candidate for terraformation' tags

although now i'm wondering how long it would take an earth-like planet to freeze over if suddenly deprived of all sunlight. sounds like a question for randall monroe

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I've got some news for you...
https://what-if.xkcd.com/49/

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 4, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

nice

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AriadneThread posted:

although now i'm wondering how long it would take an earth-like planet to freeze over if suddenly deprived of all sunlight. sounds like a question for randall monroe

Surface temperature would hit -100* F within a year if the sun were suddenly turned off, so not very long at all.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I just actually read it and it's not really what you're looking for, though. I have failed :(

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

MilkmanLuke posted:

That just reminds me that I still want Ur-Quan slave shields for enemy home worlds.

This would make me so giddy.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
Obviously slave shielding an enemy's home world is sub optimal to controlling it...and I'd do it anyway. As a hegemony unity generating tool or something of the sort, it could be a decent mechanical choice too.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

AriadneThread posted:

About a year, as has been mentioned. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rltpH6ck2Kc

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Surface temperature would hit -100* F within a year if the sun were suddenly turned off, so not very long at all.

If I remember this right, I've read it takes about 48 hours after the sun is gone before Earth gets a shiny new coat of ice to replace all that boring vegetation we have. Even if we bugger off underground with lots of electric heaters and batteries, the few survivors would then probably starve to death before the year is over.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Pretty sure Ive read the gluten-free will survive the longest

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://twitter.com/joefaulstick/status/837789809745641474

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I would really appreciate the ability to drop a space habitat onto a planet as a bombardment option.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I played 8 hours straight after getting it on sale today.

My galaxy was full of nothing but rear end in a top hat imperialist and xenophobe races who don't want to hang out and chill with me in a Federation.

Despite this, for 8 hours I've yet to have a single declaration of war.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

skooma512 posted:

My galaxy was full of nothing but rear end in a top hat imperialist and xenophobe races who don't want to hang out and chill with me in a Federation.

they're probably afraid of you.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Libluini posted:

For me, I've cooled somewhat on the expansion. First I was excited, but when robots and synths were discussed in this thread, it slowly dawned on me that that part of the expansion may be too half-baked for my taste. Which is bad because I don't care for all that other crap. It's certainly nice and gives my guys a lot of colorful enemies to destroy, but I don't want to play as Psionics or bio-monsters.

So for now I've decided to wait until we get more diverse mechanoids than our lame humanoid robots, or until a Steam sale makes the expansion cost less than 10 bucks.

The drastically redesigned faction system alone would be reason enough to buy this as a DLC. Then there's the ethics reword, the unity mechanic, the other ascension perks, mega structures, the ability to influence the ethics of primitive species, and the possibility to terraform some currently unusable planets. And the fact that I no longer need to purge all my pops in order to create a robot utopia is pretty sweet as well.

I understand being less excited about Utopia if you expected more from the Ascension paths, but the rest is still pretty amazing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

skooma512 posted:

The stellaris AI is actually really good at knowing when it's a good idea to go to war. They aren't great at actually waging it but they definitely know when they're going to win.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

skooma512 posted:

It might also depend on their AI personality, there is for example a bravery multplier that affects the chance that they will pick rivals & war targets of similar strength instead of picking on the weak. There is opportunist trait that will make them prefer to attack someone already embroiled at war. And so on...

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I've now put a dozen or so hours into the star trek mod, and it's actually really good. It's very much a work in progress, but it has some clever new mechanics in regards to how the federation is handled and the ship building and new events are fun as heck.

It's a pretty impressive total conversion, but also in many ways it's more reminiscent of other paradox titles than the base game due to its preset map with set spawns and civs

Also it's kind of embarrassing for a property of star trek's size, but this mod may actually be the best game in the entire franchise

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

The drastically redesigned faction system alone would be reason enough to buy this as a DLC. Then there's the ethics reword, the unity mechanic, the other ascension perks, mega structures, the ability to influence the ethics of primitive species, and the possibility to terraform some currently unusable planets. And the fact that I no longer need to purge all my pops in order to create a robot utopia is pretty sweet as well.

I understand being less excited about Utopia if you expected more from the Ascension paths, but the rest is still pretty amazing.

Yeah, that's why I said it's nice in my post. :v:

Anyway, it's still not fun for me if my favourite thing is missing, so I decided to wait. It's not like I'll never buy the expansion, if more diverse robot portraits are added at one point, I'll go buy it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Also it's kind of embarrassing for a property of star trek's size, but this mod may actually be the best game in the entire franchise

You're not the first person to say that. To be fair I don't think Star Trek has ever had a big company take a stab at it.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I just bought a new graphics card so hopefully I'll be able to actually finish a game!

I tried a huge galaxy with 23 civs and 5 FEs. Game chugs with max everything in the late game but it doesn't freeze like before on mimimum (+ mods to reduce further) settings. I dropped it to medium and it's perfect :woop:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

You're not the first person to say that. To be fair I don't think Star Trek has ever had a big company take a stab at it.

Birth of the Federation wasn't awful, but suffered from a rather dull economic model. The espionage side wasn't bad, though.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force was great :colbert:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Dwesa posted:

It might also depend on their AI personality, there is for example a bravery multplier that affects the chance that they will pick rivals & war targets of similar strength instead of picking on the weak.

FE just declared on me. Something about "Stop genociding everyone you soulless robots". loving does not compute:

:feelsgood:

Although in retrospect I should have processed them into food (which I no longer need) and gifted the result out to other Xenophile empires...

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Darkrenown posted:

FE just declared on me. Something about "Stop genociding everyone you soulless robots". loving does not compute:

:feelsgood:

Although in retrospect I should have processed them into food (which I no longer need) and gifted the result out to other Xenophile empires...

Wouldn't it be lovely if you could trade food to an Empire whose citizens you ground into food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Dang. And you purged the Preserve. That's cold.

• Locked thread