Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

I have a ton of cheap microfiber cloths for my glasses and devices, any reason why it would be a bad idea to cut one up and use doublesided tape to stick scraps to the parts of the dock that make contact with the switch?

Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Tender Bender posted:

I have a ton of cheap microfiber cloths for my glasses and devices, any reason why it would be a bad idea to cut one up and use doublesided tape to stick scraps to the parts of the dock that make contact with the switch?

Or get a screen protector.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Decius posted:

Too many reports about this poo poo to blame the various TVs rather than the one thing all these cases have in common: The Switch.

All these lovely posts have the same common cause!

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
This thread so far is like reading the early pages of the ouya thread and I'm loving every single post.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

GI_Clutch posted:

I don't have it yet, but some article linked to on reddit said this was the best one. It's currently sold out though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3ASPNV

I installed this one today and it was seriously nerve wracking. Did it in a hot, steamy bathroom (as recommended by the manufacturer) and had to scrap the first protector because of dust getting on the adhesive side and too much condensation on the screen.

For the second one (thank God you get two), I let out some steam to cut down on condensation and miraculously had no dust or bubbles. My best advice is, use compressed air and put the protector on the Switch immediately after you remove the first plastic seal. Don't take too long trying to place it down perfectly. As soon as you remove the plastic sheet, the glass gets a static charge and instantly becomes a magnet for dust specs. Even in a foggy bathroom, with generous compressed air usage, putting this thing on without dust causing air bubbles was an enormous pain in the rear end. I hope I never have to do it again.

This protector is great and I highly recommend it, I just wish the installation was a little easier.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not at my console right now but can you remove the straps from the Joy-Con enhancer things easily?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Hahaha. Have you never felt with cec before. These are the same complaints that every device has. These could be straight out of the ps4 thread. Cec is the shitshow. Its supposed to a standard but different tv manufacturers and even tv's from a single manufacturer act differently.

But yeah must be Nintendo's fault because a thing that doesnt work right everywhere doesnt work right here.

Cec has literally never worked for me on the ps4, but works great with the Switch on the same TV. Cec is some weird poo poo

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

okay my left joycon is absolutely losing charge quicker than the right. my right goes down 1 block and the left by 2. :| wonder if this is a contributing factor to the desync stuff? havent got that yet but i wonder if i hadn't of been checking it... charges fast i guess, but still. might be picking up that pro controller with a remortgage sooner rather than later.

re: scratch issue- i think they honestly didn't expect people to be sliding the switch out by the sides or shoving them sideways into small entertainment centres but here we are, expect wii condoms by the end of the month. i got mine all set up like the switch trailer.

Those LED lights on the Joycon don't represent charge. They represent whether you're Player 1 or 2, no? Cause mine always shows 1 light even if the charge is low. Only way AFAIK to check charge is to go to the settings menu or joycon menu on homescreen.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
CEC works great for me on the PS4. It switches the input on my receiver when I power it on and then I can control it with my TV remote. I turned it off for the Switch though because if I'm playing handheld, that's because my wife is watching TV in the room with the Switch. I don't want it to pop over from the cable box to the Switch when I dock it when I'm low on battery.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
ACTUALLY THE FASTEST WAY TO CHECK THE JOYCON BATTERY LIFE IS LAUNCHING FAST RMX. THEY HAVE BATTERY LEVELS FOR ALL CONTROLLERS ON THE SPLASH SCREEN LMAO.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Are the grips for the joy cons any good? As is, the handheld mode cramps my hand if I hold it too long, so I'm hoping there's something out there that can fit my hand easier.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If your hand is big enough to be cramped by handheld I think the grip might not be for you. I played for 12 hours yesterday and was totally fine but my friend with a bigger hand cramped up after a few hours.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Escobarbarian posted:

Not at my console right now but can you remove the straps from the Joy-Con enhancer things easily?

Yes. The trick, and this should maybe go in the OP, is you DO NOT press the button. You just release the lock. In the strap, you forget about the button. The reason it's so hard is because it's impossible to get leverage when you're trying to press the button. The strap doesn't use it as its locking mechanism. Just release the lock, grab the strap and joycon firmly with each hand, and slide the strap up.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22334/p/897

There's a ton of articles online talking about this on various tech sites and all of the articles are wrong and tell you to press the button. Forget about the button, that's just for detaching from the grips and console itself.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ultimately if this console bombs, I'm not too fussed. I bought my Wii U on launch and kept it in great repair, sold it "Used - Like New" on Amazon for 75% of it's sale price. So the price of me using that brand new console from launch to when I sold it in December came out to be around 50 quid or so? I've also got all the games and accessories which I haven't yet sold cause I'm a lazy fucker. I'll just do the same with the Switch if it goes down that road.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Escobarbarian posted:

If your hand is big enough to be cramped by handheld I think the grip might not be for you. I played for 12 hours yesterday and was totally fine but my friend with a bigger hand cramped up after a few hours.

the psp and the 3DS are fine, it's just that the bottom corner is just at the bottom of my hand enough to be un-comfortably poke. There's one grip that has a fatter bottom; I think that one would be better, as it'd spread the pressure at that back corner point over a much wider area in a soft material. Plus I can fake having colored joy-cons :D

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 5, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

parallelodad posted:

Yes. The trick, and this should maybe go in the OP, is you DO NOT press the button. You just release the lock. In the strap, you forget about the button. The reason it's so hard is because it's impossible to get leverage when you're trying to press the button. The strap doesn't use it as its locking mechanism. Just release the lock, grab the strap and joycon firmly with each hand, and slide the strap up.

There's a ton of articles online talking about this on various tech sites and all of the articles are wrong and tell you to press the button. Forget about the button, that's just for detaching from the grips and console itself.

Oh, I meant removing the straps from the strap holders themselves. Can't see myself needing them on until ARMS comes out.

and yeah a grip with a bigger body would be ideal for a lot of people I think!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

parallelodad posted:

Sounds like you're not clicking them in all the way?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I just discovered that the first ~40% of the brightness bar is the same brightness... Why on earth do that? :psyduck:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SlayVus posted:

The RDS Industries, licensed hard case. $20 from Walmart.

https://imgur.com/a/DdVRN

That looks perfect, thanks.

Unrelated: the Pro controller's D-pad can easily be rocked up or down from the far edges of the left and right directions. Getting tons of accidental magic uses in Shovel Knight (hold up and attack button.) Hopefully it just needs to be broken in. It'd be really depressing if the creator and patent holder of the D-pad hosed it up. Or maybe this is by design and I just need to improve my muscle memory? I hardly ever use a D-pad anymore. I actually like the Joy-Con's fake D-pad a lot more than the actual one.

Lots of negative posts the past few pages, but I did play Zelda for like 10 god drat hours today, and it just keeps getting better. I haven't played a single game for that long since World of Warcraft came out. Then I capped the nerd day off with some portable Puyo Puyo Tetris and Shovel Knight. I really hope the Switch gets a bunch of good games because it's a rad platform.

enojy fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 5, 2017

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

enojy posted:

Lots of negative posts the past few pages, but I did play Zelda for like 10 god drat hours today, and it just keeps getting better. I haven't played a single game for that long since World of Warcraft came out. Then I capped the nerd day off with some portable Puyo Puyo Tetris and Shovel Knight. I really hope the Switch gets a bunch of good games because it's a rad platform.

God drat it. I keep waffling between "eh, I can wait until they're widely available. I gotta focus on my classes and senior project anyway." to "I NEED THE SWITCH RIGHT NOWWWWWWWW!" and you're not really helping, buddy!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Does Puyo Puyo come with english menus + text?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

enojy posted:

Lots of negative posts the past few pages, but I did play Zelda for like 10 god drat hours today, and it just keeps getting better.

I can't get over how much this game draws me in. It's exactly what I hoped for.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Infinitum posted:

Does Puyo Puyo come with english menus + text?

No the Japanese version on the eShop doesn't have English support. At least that demo sure didn't.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm not positve Zedla is from earth. This is so drat refreshing. Gameplay above all.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

minute posted:

Honestly curious. Has CEC ever worked right for you for anything?

PS4, HTPC, Blu-Ray-Player, WiiU over a AV-Receiver all work perfectly fine using CEC.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Has anyone tried using someone else's login on the switch to d/l and play their library? Is this possible?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

SlayVus posted:

The RDS Industries, licensed hard case. $20 from Walmart.

https://imgur.com/a/DdVRN

Does anyone know if this is in stock anywhere?

I can't even find it on Wal-Mart's website. Amazon says it wont be delivered for one to two months...

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Drunk Tomato posted:

Has anyone tried using someone else's login on the switch to d/l and play their library? Is this possible?

Switches are registered to an account, you have to walk that back first to use it on another Switch.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

We actually had someone say it's ouya all over again, amazing stretching in here.

Dqw 1*2 demo is alright.
Tetrisvpyuo is confusing

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is The rumble neat in the Dragon Quest demo? Pretty sure I previously heard that you'd feel a difference striking armor or slimes.

Tried it out and that was total BS (unless they were talking about DQXI.)
Also, it's one of the most poorly preforming games I've ever seen.

Edit: Okay docked looks way better here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfbfUtSQzz8
I was on handheld with maybe half that framerate.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 5, 2017

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Tried it out and that was total BS (unless they were talking about DQXI.)
Also, it's one of the most poorly preforming games I've ever seen.

Edit: Okay docked looks way better here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfbfUtSQzz8
I was on handheld with maybe half that framerate.

So is it just a Musou game or whatever? You just run around killing like 1000s of slimes and then pursue Lu Bu?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Anyone got a Hori tough case for their Switch? It looks pretty good.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

BambooEarpick posted:

So is it just a Musou game or whatever? You just run around killing like 1000s of slimes and then pursue Lu Bu?

DQ heroes 1 is kinda like whatever. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

2 however, is much better. 8 or 8.5

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BambooEarpick posted:

Do not pursue Lu Bu!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Does anyone become insanely queasy and get a severe bout of vertigo from browsing the Switch news stuff? The scrolling makes me trip out, my eyes start feeling weird and my head hurts that I start feeling like I'm car sick. Genuinely makes me feel like I'm on the verge of an epileptic fit. I tried forcing myself to just scroll and read but it was too nauseating.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Loopoo posted:

Does anyone become insanely queasy and get a severe bout of vertigo from browsing the Switch news stuff? The scrolling makes me trip out, my eyes start feeling weird and my head hurts that I start feeling like I'm car sick. Genuinely makes me feel like I'm on the verge of an epileptic fit. I tried forcing myself to just scroll and read but it was too nauseating.

You should get that checked out by a doctor.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Healbot posted:

You should get that checked out by a doctor.

I'm pretty certain I'm not epileptic though. I've never had a fit and I've watched some trippy stuff. I just dunno what it is about the Switch's really smooth scrolling that fucks my brain up.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That honestly sounds kinda worrying about you. If it starts to happen with anything else I concur that seeing a doctor would be the right thing to do.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

poo poo guys, don't scare me. I thought there'd be a resounding "Yeah the same happens to me". Surely I can't be the only one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Loopoo posted:

poo poo guys, don't scare me. I thought there'd be a resounding "Yeah the same happens to me". Surely I can't be the only one?

There are many people in the world not taking the medication they need.

• Locked thread