Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mike-o posted:

From what I remember he had a night vision scope right? I think they make caps you out in the front end so you can kind of use it in the day without completely damaging the night vision sensor with the full blaring daylight. I might be completely remembering this wrong, but I seem to remember that kind of poo poo.

nah that's it dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's cool thanks.

So the batteries issue. What's 50% watch that the Lt was complaining about to the supply sergeant? Do nvg batteries last a while?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

cowboy elvis posted:

That's cool thanks.

So the batteries issue. What's 50% watch that the Lt was complaining about to the supply sergeant? Do nvg batteries last a while?

PVS7s just had AAs as far as I remember. I haven't seen GK though so IDK what he could be talking about. No one ever gave a gently caress about batteries and you got the lovely bricks of batteries and just threw them in the fire/burnpit (lol) when you were done

edit; to be clear you didn't throw them there directly but thats where they ended up along with literally everything else

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

cowboy elvis posted:

That's cool thanks.

Can't speak to the first part because I don't remember, but nods batteries can get drained fairly quickly if you're constantly using them. It's good to have plenty of spares for when they inevitably die while you're driving on the side of a cliff at night.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

PVS7s just had AAs as far as I remember. I haven't seen GK though so IDK what he could be talking about. No one ever gave a gently caress about batteries and you got the lovely bricks of batteries and just threw them in the fire/burnpit (lol) when you were done

edit; to be clear you didn't throw them there directly but thats where they ended up along with literally everything else

I've seen an entire box of dead batteries get tossed into a burn pit. Thought we were getting shot at when they started popping off.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Mike-o posted:

Keeps the sun glare out of the optics. Or at least that's what I gather. Never done it myself.

This is why.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Holly B you were a navigator on a P3? I don't mean this in a dick way but whats the point of that job that couldn't be replaced by a computer (other than cost which I suspect)

Like did you just send course corrections to the pilot or what? I really just don't understand the role I guess in modern aircraft.

Like what do you provide that a computer in an single seat F18 doesn't have or whatever you know? Again I don't mean this to talk down on it i'm just completely ignorant.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Holly B you were a navigator on a P3? I don't mean this in a dick way but whats the point of that job that couldn't be replaced by a computer (other than cost which I suspect)

Like did you just send course corrections to the pilot or what? I really just don't understand the role I guess in modern aircraft.

I was a flight engineer on the E-3 Sentry.

So you're right on about navs and even my job: computers do it better and faster.

Navs sole responsibility was to ensure they always knew the airspace and the route. They troubleshot their equipment, served as another set of eyes/ears in the flight deck, and were the go-to guy for any immediate navigational changes. They flightplanned the route during mission prep.

The USAF sticks with them because it's hideously expensive modding out that crew position in aircraft plus the inherent safety factor one one more human who can offload tasks off of the pilots and be looking outside the windows and handling radios.

Computers began taking away the job in the 70/80s.

Navigators and flight engineers are a dead or dying breed. It's very likely you'll go the rest of your life and I will remain the only flight engineer you'll have ever known.

bloops fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 5, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Ok my bad. Wasn't there a P3 dude here who posted a big thing about blowing up a boat in Libya?

I can see how that would be kind of useful to have a human on the plane doing that kind of poo poo versus a POS military computer that makes the pilot do more work than just having some dude like "course correction go 3 degrees left dumbass" or whatever to be honest though

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
seems like we have a lot of AWACS dudes here

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
There might've been. I dunno who'd that be.

Well flight planning works like this: we have a our departed airfield and destination. The nav plans the route much like you'd do using a map driving cross country.

Airspace is broken out similarly to a typical highway system: you've got a main jet route that has exits (not named exits) and landing somewhere would have you fly what's called an approach, which is a name for a series of points to hit that gets a plane to a runway without conflicting with departing traffic or other planes landing on different runways.

It's a fairly complex subject and one I'm not too keen on. You can search typical routes airlines fly and that'll clarify a lot.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
comrade tell me the best way...say a SU27 could shoot down an E3 I mean I'm just wondering if while you were flying what your biggest fears were concerning front line russian equipment were

*grabs notepad

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Both the PVS-7 and PVS-14 use regular AAs.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

The Rat posted:

Both the PVS-7 and PVS-14 use regular AAs.

I thought 14s did too for some reason I was thinking something used those surefire batteries but I'm probably tripping

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

comrade tell me the best way...say a SU27 could shoot down an E3 I mean I'm just wondering if while you were flying what your biggest fears were concerning front line russian equipment were

*grabs notepad

I've flown against Russian bombers multiple times. It was surreal.

I very clearly remember one alert mission I flew where intel told us to expect three Bear bombers (they showed up) and 4 Su-27s, which couldn't be confirmed as armed. Not like it matters but still there is something weird about flying alone with out Raptors knowing the Flankers could come and light our rear end up with no trouble.

That's the mission I had an engine fire. We flew that sortie on three motors. :buddy:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

cowboy elvis posted:

I've flown against Russian bombers multiple times. It was surreal.

I very clearly remember one alert mission I flew where intel told us to expect three Bear bombers (they showed up) and 4 Su-27s, which couldn't be confirmed as armed. Not like it matters but still there is something weird about flying alone with out Raptors knowing the Flankers could come and light our rear end up with no trouble.

That's the mission I had an engine fire. We flew that sortie on three motors. :buddy:

yeah that poo poo sounds trippy as gently caress because you're like a theater level asset no doubt and basically a lovely airliner as far as capability without anything to vector

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea but the flip side is being a Russian aircraft having two F-22s saddle up on the side.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

cowboy elvis posted:

Yea but the flip side is being a Russian aircraft having two F-22s saddle up on the side.

yeah cool but whats that f22 gonna do against an AA11 or whatever. Obviously prevention of that scenario is the key. I like that short of the F22's we could be having this same conversation in 1980

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
this might be OPSEC but how do E3s even work organizationally? Is there just a couple of squadrons and they get tasked out individually to operations or what? Or is it just a lot of squadrons of 3-4 planes?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

yeah cool but whats that f22 gonna do against an AA11 or whatever. Obviously prevention of that scenario is the key. I like that short of the F22's we could be having this same conversation in 1980

Wreck the dumb fucker who has no idea a Raptor is about to dunk on him from 40 miles out.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

this might be OPSEC but how do E3s even work organizationally? Is there just a couple of squadrons and they get tasked out individually to operations or what? Or is it just a lot of squadrons of 3-4 planes?

USAF operates AWACS out of three geographically convenient locations--Japan, Alaska, and Oklahoma. Alaska operates a few, Japan has the same; Oklahoma has the bulk of the fleet.

Alaska and Japan belong to PACAF or Pacific Air Forces. Oklahoma flies for ACC or Air Combat Command.

One squadron at each base in PACAF and like 4 or 5 at Oklahoma.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

cowboy elvis posted:

USAF operates AWACS out of three geographically convenient locations--Japan, Alaska, and Oklahoma. Alaska operates a few, Japan has the same; Oklahoma has the bulk of the fleet.

Alaska and Japan belong to PACAF or Pacific Air Forces. Oklahoma flies for ACC or Air Combat Command.

Ah ok that makes sense. I don't know a lot about USAF structure poo poo.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I thought 14s did too for some reason I was thinking something used those surefire batteries but I'm probably tripping

Nah the only difference in newer 14s is that they only need a single AA battery vs the double battery case config of the older ones.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

cowboy elvis posted:

Hey yo what's up with the 100 MPH tape partially covering optics i see in Generation Kill?

Just to clarify on what I think everyone else is talking about : GK portrays Recon Marines. In the force recon community as well as snipers there is still a huge 1980's style tactical fetishism. The tape is meant to eliminate glare which would give away your position as well as eliminate an easily observable perfect circle to enemy recon or sniper elements. Just as a straight line doesn't exist in nature, neither does a circle.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

seems like we have a lot of AWACS dudes here

2 regulars, at least one lurker (maybe former lurker, that was a while ago and I never found out the username). And HDI (NATO AWACS for a brief time), even though he's managed to lock himself out of the forums.

*grabs notepad

Several people in the back of the E-3 have to gently caress up seriously. Almost everyone, in fact.

Ah ok that makes sense. I don't know a lot about USAF structure poo poo.

They all share the same pool of aircraft, too. Everyone at Tinker shares jets and maintenance, and the jets at Kadena and Elmo rotate regularly. The non-Tinker squadrons are smaller, too, so Tinker owns almost all the deployment rotations. There are 4 operational active duty squadrons there, plus one reserve squadron (also sharing jets/maintenance). If something interesting happens, crews and support personnel can get forward deployed to wherever. I've been "deployed" to the east coast and to South America for stuff. My squadron was up in the PNW for the Olympics in 2008 or whenever, but I didn't go on that trip.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 5, 2017

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Hey I'm a civvie with some dumbfuck questions especially for any Australian Army types who are in here because I am considering going for a Reservist position. I'm aware that this makes me a loving moron. Questions:

1) How bullshit is basic really? What was the worst part?

2) How much of a wank is defense housing?

I had more questions but I feel I have embarrassed myself enough already. One quick question the whole thread can take a swing at:

What was the biggest lie your recruiter told you? I always have a bit of a chuckle about the line (I think it's in Jarhead?) about the army sending you to Hawaii to learn how to skateboard once you're out of basic.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

DumbparameciuM posted:

Hey I'm a civvie with some dumbfuck questions especially for any Australian Army types who are in here because I am considering going for a Reservist position. I'm aware that this makes me a loving moron. Questions:

I had more questions but I feel I have embarrassed myself enough already. One quick question the whole thread can take a swing at:

What was the biggest lie your recruiter told you? I always have a bit of a chuckle about the line (I think it's in Jarhead?) about the army sending you to Hawaii to learn how to skateboard once you're out of basic.

I can't speak for every recruiter, let alone Australian recruiter but I didn't know anyone to directly lie and say bullshit like EVERYDAY YOU GET A BJ or whatever but mainly neglecting to tell you how awful it was. Lies by omission really are what you have to look out for.

edit: do you know anyone who has served that you can trust? See if they can tag along with you to a meeting and just talk. IDK poo poo about Aussie poo poo like I said but as a recruiter I knew I had to sell it to the invited prior service person or parents before I ever did the person wanting to join, and they'll be able to kinda filter the bullshit better than anyone else. I always upped my game with a previously enlisted person (even if it was like in the 70s) than I did some random dude walking in

edit2: directly blatantly lying to a kid is like the worst thing you can do because that kid just calls back to his friends at his high school or whatever and says you're a horrible liar. So I told dudes the real poo poo and probably got less contracts from it, but I think probably any kid i put in wouldn't talk poo poo on me too much. I may be an outlier though recruiting makes dudes lose their minds, I technically lost my mind and got discharged because I refused to play the game and gently caress people over so gently caress IDK.

Don't join but the only thing I remember about Aussie soldiers is the one time I saw them in Iraq the aussies were like 50% cute chicks

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 5, 2017

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

I can't speak for every recruiter, let alone Australian recruiter but I didn't know anyone to directly lie and say bullshit like EVERYDAY YOU GET A BJ or whatever but mainly neglecting to tell you how awful it was. Lies by omission really are what you have to look out for.

edit: do you know anyone who has served that you can trust? See if they can tag along with you to a meeting and just talk. IDK poo poo about Aussie poo poo like I said but as a recruiter I knew I had to sell it to the invited prior service person or parents before I ever did the person wanting to join, and they'll be able to kinda filter the bullshit better than anyone else. I always upped my game with a previously enlisted person (even if it was like in the 70s) than I did some random dude walking in

That's really good advice actually, thanks HCT.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

DumbparameciuM posted:

That's really good advice actually, thanks HCT.

It's really good to have someone come along because a lot of times someone wanting to join has a dad/uncle/mom/uncle/aunt/cousin or whatever who was in like 20 years ago and it's really not hard to say it's improved in a lot of ways from their experience, and those are often the same people that will tell you how much they hated it, and you're going to probably trust them over a recruiter schlub.

Like don't get me wrong the military loving SUCKS but generally it's better than it was X amount of years ago. A lot of things are constant though like youre gonna get poo poo on with dumb tasks and be treated like poo poo as a private, thats universal. Have fun picking up cigarette butts! I'd almost guess there has to be a Australian mil dude here and I hope they'd answer more specifically for you because honestly enlisting is almost such a socioeconomic thing I can't really say poo poo with confidence. Maybe Australian army is paradise but some how I doubt the gently caress out of that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If joining straight to the Aussie reserves is like joining straight to the us navy reserves with no real active time it's gonna be a hoot.

Basically payed Boy Scouts.

With way more paper work.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

LingcodKilla posted:

If joining straight to the Aussie reserves is like joining straight to the us navy reserves with no real active time it's gonna be a hoot.

Basically payed Boy Scouts.

With way more paper work.

yeah i mean but IDK if there is a GI bill equivalent that's why i'm hesitant to answer poo poo directly. It's also really hard to sell reserves to a kid that wants to be SF, and the worst part was you're tied to what units are local to you so the kids that I could sell reserves too also had to qualify for high level med jobs lol. It loving sucked. Guard had it locked in because they could sell truck driver to a bunch of idiots and i'm trying to find people to be like nurses and poo poo from the same pool.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

DumbparameciuM posted:

I had more questions but I feel I have embarrassed myself enough already.

These are important questions that anyone considering enlisting should ask, and usually doesn't.

For the US Air Force, Basic was the most frustrating bullshit I have ever experienced. Literally all about marching for one loving parade and refolding stuff because your DI is a wankstick who takes out his wife leaving him on a bunch of 18-20 year olds. You spend roughly 20 minutes a day in classes teaching you something not important, 1 hour doing PT and the rest is marching and folding clothes. It does nothing to prepare you for what ever the gently caress you are going to be doing, does nothing to teach you combat skills (but again, Air Force so hammering them on this is kinda lol but I loving hated basic so here you go), does nothing to make you a viable and valuable asset to the military. You literally folded loving socks and marched. Which was not what I was told I would be doing when I asked at recruiting and everyone I had talked to before I shipped.

Housing is station, command, and a whole bunch of other poo poo dependent. For me I spent my entire career in the barracks by choice. Generally you make a sacrifice, you live in either a lovely slum grade apartment or house (if you are married) and its on base so the only people you wind up seeing are either in the military or were. The upside is not having to remember to pay rent/utilities, fix poo poo when it breaks and most importantly you don't have to gently caress with traffic at the gates when you are trying to get on station for duty. Typically its close to the BX and Class 6 (which you will need if you are in the military) and if you are on a new base or you get into something built during the housing reno/expansion boom of the late 90s/early 00s, they aren't 3rd world condo grade buildings. You wind up having to look at where you are stationed to make a call on this. If they have decent/new quarters and the surrounding area of the base is some rat gently caress poo poo hole like South Carolina, then you probably want to stay on post. But you could wind up in Patrick Air Force Base's South Housing (does not exist anymore) where the base commander told the maintenance contractors to take down the condemnation orders so they could assign quarters to inbound personnel.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

yeah i mean but IDK if there is a GI bill equivalent that's why i'm hesitant to answer poo poo directly. It's also really hard to sell reserves to a kid that wants to be SF, and the worst part was you're tied to what units are local to you so the kids that I could sell reserves too also had to qualify for high level med jobs lol. It loving sucked. Guard had it locked in because they could sell truck driver to a bunch of idiots and i'm trying to find people to be like nurses and poo poo from the same pool.

I live in Washington state next to a huge naval base but my unit is central CA and I'm crossassigned to a unit in San Diego made up of reservists from NY to Hawaii.

Needs of the navy man.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

LingcodKilla posted:

I live in Washington state next to a huge naval base but my unit is central CA and I'm crossassigned to a unit in San Diego made up of reservists from NY to Hawaii.

Needs of the navy man.

as always my poo poo is always coming from an army perspective based on my experiences so ymmv

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Miloshe posted:

Just to clarify on what I think everyone else is talking about : GK portrays Recon Marines. In the force recon community as well as snipers there is still a huge 1980's style tactical fetishism. The tape is meant to eliminate glare which would give away your position as well as eliminate an easily observable perfect circle to enemy recon or sniper elements. Just as a straight line doesn't exist in nature, neither does a circle.

Huge 1980's style tactical fetishism? Asking because I am a civilian.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

AmyL posted:

Huge 1980's style tactical fetishism? Asking because I am a civilian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNEiBl3aQcY

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Miloshe posted:

The reconnaissance squadrons of the army do this too, I think just about anyone that might find themselves sitting in an OP for a long time does

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwn_UfG2spc

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Genocide Tendency posted:

For the US Air Force, Basic was the most frustrating bullshit I have ever experienced.
It seemed to me that the the end goal of BMT was to teach us how to (and weed out the few that can't) follow very specific instructions, perfectly, repeatedly, in a situation where everything is terrible and you hate life, cause if poo poo goes down hardcore WW3 style ("everything is terrible and you hate life") they want people to still be mentally able to fix planes ("very specific instructions, perfectly, repeatedly") or whatever else a dude's job is. So of course poo poo sucks and doesn't make sense, the point is that you know how not to break down crying or try and fight your MTI.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's a very significant part of it.

• Locked thread