Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Fermented Tinal posted:

HOAs are why humanity needs to be exterminated.

Tell me about it. I can't get out of this loving place fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Which of these threads would be the best to ask about a realtor recommendation for a particular area?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
gently caress if I know. Ask psl.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

nm posted:

I wanna know who. I'm guessing that uber delivery service?

No. Uber's been sued too many times to pull that poo poo.

It's a company called Deliv. The contract contradicts itself in a few different ways too. :v: I didn't sign it, but I have a copy of it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

No. Uber's been sued too many times to pull that poo poo.

It's a company called Deliv. The contract contradicts itself in a few different ways too. :v: I didn't sign it, but I have a copy of it.

You say that, but they keep doing piles of illegal poo poo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cage posted:

With a 15 year mortgage and the hoa fee I'll be paying $550 per month heat included. I might be able to find a studio apartment for that much, but not a 2 bedroom like this is.

I will definitely own it, it isn't leased or rented.

You are talking about moving into an apartment building you will own part of, but not have control over the building maintenance.

Think about that. You have no control over your neighbors not lighting the whole building on fire. Or the roof falling off and needing to be replaced because the condo board cheaped the gently caress out ten years ago when it was reshingled.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I don't mind dying.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

After owning a condo then owning a house I can honestly say gently caress condos they suck.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I don't mind loving a condo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ha. You're in Buffalo right? Then gently caress owning anything in NY state anyway, property taxes are crazy up there.

[e] we almost bought a house in western NY, then backed out when we saw the taxes and moved back to FL :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 5, 2017

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Do never buy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:catstare:

e:for you muricans, that's 52*f in the day to -2*f at night

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 5, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Car wiring is the worst thing to deal with. Especially butchered wiring by a previous owner

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I own a condo. I'm perfectly happy with it.

(I'm also on the board, which is run very competently)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamnit. Usually I'm going to bed about now. Went to bed at 11 last night, with hopes of waking up around 6.

Nope, body said gently caress you, we're getting up at 4.

Powershift posted:

You say that, but they keep doing piles of illegal poo poo.

Oh I know, but they're not as blatantly obvious about it.

I still work with Uber occasionally (but on the package and Eats side). I only work for them once or twice a week though, and only to make :20bux: here and there. I stay active enough that I qualify for instant pay, so if I need gas money, I'll sign in long enough to make enough to top off my tank, then cash out - they do a reverse debit to my debit card, takes about 15 seconds for the money to appear in my account.

Made $20 in about 45 minutes with them last night. That's all I really wanted to make - I have a little over half a tank of gas, that'll top it off for today's work with Amazon. Supposedly they've (Amazon) removed our daily and weekly caps for the time being (8 hrs a day/40 hrs a week), gonna try to work 10-12 hours today. Even went so far as to pack a lunch, something I never do.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

After owning a condo then owning a house I can honestly say gently caress condos they suck.

It seems like condos tend to be cheaper to rent vs an equivalent apartment around here, generally with the owner (not tenant) paying the HOA fees.

It also seems like banks won't finance the purchase of a condo here unless the entire condo property is mostly owner-occupied. There's a lot that are almost all rentals, but those tend to be the really crappy ones.

Supposedly (according to maintenance) the place I live now was originally condos, converted into apartments a long time ago. Explains why it was a decently nice place when it was built.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

BraveUlysses posted:

I get it if you feel like rent is throwing your money away but don't kid yourself owning property is always more expensive than renting.

You can't 'always sell it' unless you own it outright. You can't sell it as easily as you can break a lease. You have to share communal property costs that aren't covered by insurance.

Condos are the worst option for ownership. IDK where you live but they can also be really, comically expensive for what amounts to an apartment.

Round here it seems to be that (ignoring any required initial deposits) the monthly cost to your pocket of renting vs buying is very similar. It sounds like the situation for Cage is very similar.
Yeah you might get some big bills when you own like when you need a roof or windows or whatever, but you don't get them every month so it kinda averages out.
My monthly mortgage payment is now half of what rent would be, and I probably spent the difference on maintenance and improvements.

I look at it as what I get out of it at the end of 15 years. I could be renting in which case after 15 years I would walk away with nothing, or I can buy and after 15 years I walk away with a house. It may not be the best house and it may be valued at less than it was 15 years ago and need some work - but it is still more than the nothing I would have got via renting.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Always remeber that in accounting terms, houses are NEVER an asset. They are always a liability. Once you actually work out the true cost of home ownership, you'll see the truth of that very rapidly.

How does that work? surely the paid-off proportion of your house should count as an asset? While it doesn't bring in money it saves me paying rent and you have to live somewhere or in something?

I don't know how your banking system is working over in AUS (I suspect much better than ours) but in the UK savings interest rates are now below inflation, my pension sucks and I'm struggling to make any of my savings do anything.
Putting money into a house seems like a more sensible investment. Ignoring the value of the house itself I am now just looking at it as something that can earn me £x/month in rental income once it is paid off.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, whenever this stuff comes up, it always makes me think that things must either be pretty hosed up in other countries, or people aren't thinking long term.

If you rent a house, someone owns it, and unless they're an idiot, the rent will be such that it covers at least their ownership cost and maintenance. Add on to the fact, as Tomarse says, after X years you've paid the purchase off and only have to handle the maintenance from then on, forever, functionally it shouldn't be cheaper to rent than to buy.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Buy land.

Currently trying to buy another vehicle and the seller is glacial in his communication. It is driving me insane.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Cage posted:

Do never buy.

Just do your homework. Buying a condo makes sense sometimes, but people are hilariously short-sighted all of the time. You don't seem like people, but we're throwing all the boilerplate anyways just in case. Please don't take it personally.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah it wasn't personal, just speaking from my experience.

And Rent down here in FL is getting ridiculously high to the point that friends of mine that rent are freaking out. A house the size of mine is typically renting for almost twice what the mortgage is, and apartments aren't much better. Supply and demand I guess.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hello

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm in Orlando rn and Disney sucks

We're going to coco today tho so yay

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

KozmoNaut posted:

(I'm also on the board, which is run very competently)

This is the proper way to deal with an HOA, whether Condo or regular house.

My HOA was run by nutcase old dudes (and one nutcase insurance salesman dude) with nothing better to do in their lives except the HOA, so it was turning into a terrible one. So I got on the board (this isn't difficult, most boards will take anyone, and if it's a shitshow board, just talk to enough people and tell them you want to make it good and you'll get elected). Took a bit of time and effort, but over about 3 years I got all the nutcases voted out and became the President and now the board is run for the vast majority of the residents who are middle class working people, not retired nitpickers.

The time investment early on in a worst case scenario might be a bit bad, and you might have to put up with a bunch of shitheads early on, but once it's fixed, it's a few emails per week and a meeting once every two months. Totally worth it to not have busy-body nutcases in charge.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I'm in Orlando rn and Disney sucks

We're going to coco today tho so yay

That's the best way to do Florida, stay on the beach at Coco. Then wander down to the Coco Beach Pier to eat and watch manta rays.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Well grey hair you win. I see more of you every day . This is ok because as long as the grey stays in my head I'm ok. Figured I had till 30 at least.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

QuarkMartial posted:

That's the best way to do Florida, stay on the beach at Coco. Then wander down to the Coco Beach Pier to eat and watch manta rays.

No the best beach to go.to is Playa Linda. Nice and quiet and literally right behind the space center. Like, right behind the launch towers.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

QuarkMartial posted:

I love it here, this is the Florida that everyone talks about :3:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So, this Macchina looks pretty loving cool. Wonder if it could be used to replace / handle maintenance functions that you'd normally need an OEM tool (i.e. Chrysler DRB3) to do.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Tomarse posted:

I look at it as what I get out of it at the end of 15 years. I could be renting in which case after 15 years I would walk away with nothing, or I can buy and after 15 years I walk away with a house. It may not be the best house and it may be valued at less than it was 15 years ago and need some work - but it is still more than the nothing I would have got via renting.

Don't you usually have to put a down payment on a house to buy a house? $15K, $20k? If you were renting you wouldn't have to pay that money and instead could invest it in some interest bearing account and at the end of 15 years you would have made some money.

Doesn't mean renting is better but it's not cut and dry "if I rent I end up with nothing."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

So, this Macchina looks pretty loving cool. Wonder if it could be used to replace / handle maintenance functions that you'd normally need an OEM tool (i.e. Chrysler DRB3) to do.

It looks like it could be amazing, or also useless to anyone except a programmer with reverse engineering experience or an inside info source, depending on how much effort they put into the software.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Yeah, the software is going to make or break that one for sure. Giving access to all the parameters means poo poo if no one short of the manufacturer has any idea what they mean or do. (For instance, HPTuners has my trucks ECM fully accessable for modifications, except all the parameters are numbered. None have descriptive names.)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Biodome posted:

Don't you usually have to put a down payment on a house to buy a house? $15K, $20k? If you were renting you wouldn't have to pay that money and instead could invest it in some interest bearing account and at the end of 15 years you would have made some money.

Doesn't mean renting is better but it's not cut and dry "if I rent I end up with nothing."

Truly depends on when you buy a house too. As was mentioned already in Florida prices dropped the hardest and then shot up the highest when the market swung back around. We bought our house at the bottom in 2012. Had we done nothing at all our home gained 100k in value. Because, however, we did a full remodel our home has now doubled in price that we originally got it for. We also live in Tourist Town, FL (Sarasota) which locks in prices for everything way higher than they'd be elsewhere.
I also really like yardwork and maintaining land so home ownership owns for me.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

FWIW, We (in the UK) bought our flat with a 10% deposit, a 30 year mortgage, and our payments (and factoring fees, which we didn't pay when we rented) are less than the rent we were paying on the same flat. Assuming the property is worth the same amount in 30 years, we would need a savings account that gets 30% AER to have our savings reach the same amount in 30 years, if my sums are correct.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Over the course of 30 years you could easily spend 30% of a house's value on maintaining it and upgrades.

E: Example: My foundation is stone, and over 100 years old. At some point in time the entire exterior face of the foundation will need to be dug out and repointed, and waterproofed. We're talking up to $50k of work on a house I spent $185k on. I would never get that money back out of this house.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 5, 2017

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
I don't post much but I just want to share some good news. I work at BMW plant ten. I was a temp for four years and I finally got hired on to BMW proper and got past my 90 day probationary period!

Now I've only got to wait till May and I can get into the employee lease program and can stop driving this POS Suzuki Aerio.

May not seem like a huge deal but I'm so excited!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that's good news but too bad they only build lovely suvs there now

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
Don't disagree with that (though the motorsport x6 is kinda cool and we're prototyping a motorsport x3). But I can lease pretty much any mini including a John works Cooper and most BMWs. Can't get any i car, seven series, or any motorsport though :(.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tomarse posted:

How does that work? surely the paid-off proportion of your house should count as an asset? While it doesn't bring in money it saves me paying rent and you have to live somewhere or in something?

Saving money by not being rent isn't booked as an asset. Your primary residence is a liability which would be far more apparent if we were not in a period where housing is appreciating in price irrationally - Sydney is a great example of how irrational that appreciation has been.

Why? Because your home ALWAYS costs you. Taxes. Repairs and maintenace. Your time in mowing the lawns (opportunity cost). In accounting terms it is sitting there costing you money every day. Much like your car isnt an asset either, it's a liability. If you sell it and realise a profit after taxes and all your other costs that you sank into the house over the years, that doesnt make it an asset either... the money you bank due to the sale is the asset, NOT the house.

This only applies to your primary residence. If you have an investment home, different accounting rules apply to work out if it actually is an asset or a liability. This was one of the real headscratchers when I was studying Finance and Accounting when the lecturer asked us "So... who thinks houses are asset or liability?" and then proceeds to school those who said asset exactly why they aint.

IF you own your home outright, then you have a liability with the potential to be turned into a cash asset.... depending on how much you spent to get to that position in the first place. I guess if you inherited a home you win the lottery on that one. For those that finance a house.... yeah you probably wont see a cent back in reality. For an example, the home I sold 10 years ago had a 102,000 dollar appreciation. Once however I worked out how much in interest, repairs and maintenace, land taxes etc I had paid in those three years, you know how much I made?

2400 bucks. And that is simply down to the irrational Sydney market. If the price had followed rational appreciation, I'd have taken a bath.

Your primary residence is not an asset. Dont confuse potential value with where a house goes in T-Accounting.

I might also point out that cars are also generally not assets either.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Someone honked at me today for passing them when they were going 15 in a 35 (I was going 35 in said 35).

A half mile down the road someone completely stopped in the middle of an arterial highway while they checked for directions. I honked at them and they flipped me off.

If everyone thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat I'd like to complete the joke and completely wrap my car in baby on board stickers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Yeah, unless you own something in London, San Francisco, or some other ridiculous market, your property will generally not make you much money over time. Especially if you take inflation into account, most home owners technically lose money over the course of their lives, but the trade used to be worth it for the freedom and stability of owning your own property.

Now? I'm not sure that most properties are worth owning in general, unless you know for certain that you will live there for decades. But I'm unmarried and childless, so I'm not nearly as focused on the idea of stability as most prospective home owners would be

• Locked thread