Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

revdrkevind posted:

So uh... how is Julieta in a non-Zero-System MS going toe to toe with Mikazuki in the Legit A Mobile Armor Plus Zero System?

Gundam shows sometimes have a problem with going a little too far to show the protagonist isn't the best pilot, like 00 season I when the only reason Setsuna wasn't roadkill was because nobody had anything that could penetrate the main suit's armor which was a Plot-based alloy. I wouldn't mind so much if it was early on and we were showing that Human Debris weren't always all that but Mika needs to dip into hotblood just to take out someone who's in what amounts to a GMIII or Jegan. That's embarrassing. Even if the pilot were Literally Amuro it would still be plot armor against facts.

Would it have killed them to just add that the OS has some Ein AI in it that compensates against Zero System suits? At least then we'd be in the realm of anime logic.

If the Dainsleif can shoot through a whole wad of mobile suits, there was no point to the entire final charge.

One thing to keep in mind is that she isn't really going toe to toe with him.

The conversation with Russel and her own dialogue in the battle makes it clear that she isn't trying to beat Mika, she is just keeping him busy.

If Mika went whole hog like he did with the mobile armor, or if she was trying to bring him down he'd probably kill her, but that isn't the point. She fought defensively but otherwise her goal was just to be physically present enough to keep him from going to town on the regular pilots and disrupting the plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
[wrong thread]

Roki B fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 1, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uh, guys? I think the Kimaris Vidar has a four-shot Dainsleif.

It has the same rear-loading breaches, and if you assume the main spear is a central eletromagnetic core to accelerate them around instead of an external barrel, that thing is going to be loving brutal.

You were right. Its in the manual.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
So the pics of the Kimaris Vidar look super... I dunno, CGI to me. They're shots of the actual model, though, right? The finish and background is just screwing with me?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zwingley posted:

So the pics of the Kimaris Vidar look super... I dunno, CGI to me. They're shots of the actual model, though, right? The finish and background is just screwing with me?

It's the real model, but most early Bandai publicity pics are painted rather than out-of-the-box. That may be why it looks a little too perfect.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Darth Walrus posted:

It's the real model, but most early Bandai publicity pics are painted rather than out-of-the-box. That may be why it looks a little too perfect.
That and they probably got hit with a few effect filters like Topaz or it's ilk.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Looks like the barbatos gets its arm banged up badly enough that they switch it out with an older model one. Also all the debree around him doesn't look good for whoever he was fighting

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Bye Reginlaze :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zedd posted:

Bye Reginlaze :v:

Hey now from the rest of the pictures there might be a lull in combat. If she gets out of it alive I'm betting she's going to end up cybered

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Looks like the barbatos gets its arm banged up badly enough that they switch it out with an older model one. Also all the debree around him doesn't look good for whoever he was fighting

When has this ever not been the case?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

revdrkevind posted:

So uh... how is Julieta in a non-Zero-System MS going toe to toe with Mikazuki in the Legit A Mobile Armor Plus Zero System?

The really weird thing about the Reginlaze Julia is just how massive it is. It's ten metres taller than the regular model, and even accounting for the longer feet and the shoulderpad things that's a big gently caress-off monster for a 'normal' non-AV pilot. It's even bigger than the Graze Ein. And from the look of the preview for this week's episode, it gets completely busted up, so this is probably the point where Julieta asks if there's any spare bits of Ein's brain left for her when they rebuild her suit.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm very happy my dream of McGillis' boyfriends fighting each other happened last episode.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Isn't the Julia literally a graze + exosuit type thing?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luminaflare posted:

Yup, pretty much.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The arm looks like the cannon was smashed off, the fingers still have the gold colored claws. Plus it is still the same length as the other side, and the previous versions have had normal sized for the rest of the body.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

Well, a Reginlaze plus exosuit. Next-gen Gjallarhorn frame. According to its manual, it was designed as an attempt to turn the generalist, easy-to-handle Reginlaze into a super-sensitive, ultra-high performance ace suit that would flat out murder anyone but their very best pilots - a Schawlbe Graze but on purpose this time, basically. It was also directly inspired by the Graze Ein - Gjallarhorn's engineers liked the idea of building bigger suits they could stick a ton of stuff on, and felt that the shape, with its disproportionately long limbs, was good for ace units (possibly because of how it affected its AMBAC balancing).

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Apprentice Dick posted:

The arm looks like the cannon was smashed off, the fingers still have the gold colored claws. Plus it is still the same length as the other side, and the previous versions have had normal sized for the rest of the body.

Yeah, it looks like it just got a part of it broken off, the way its holding the hammer makes it look like the joint is higher up than normal probably

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
It does look like a combination of battle damage and animation budget attacks.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Looks like someone, somehow, got their hands on the PV for EP47, and apparently it really is called Sacrifice. McGillis is apparently the one doing it, asking Agnika how he was able to do it so easily.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
If people was complaining about the lack of competent villains last season Rustal has managed to give Tekkadan the taste of bitter defeat this episode. With the death of Isurugi, Tekkadan and McGillis is forced back to Mars for their last stand against Rustal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh, hey, one character made a good, sensible, healthy decision. Shame about everybody else.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh, hey, one character made a good, sensible, healthy decision. Shame about everybody else.

Yay though! I really like the Julietta and Gaelio characters now. And they get the coolest MSes.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hmm, I think Rustal will blackmail the commander of the Mars Garrison. It'd be a bit too master plan'd if he was in Rustal's pocket the whole time.

Disregard, didn't realize there'd be an after-credits scene.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yay though! I really like the Julietta and Gaelio characters now. And they get the coolest MSes.
I was legit bummed for a moment when I thought Julietta had died. Both her and Gaelio have been highlights of season 2 to me.

And yeah their robots own too.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The one plot-hole I'm not liking in this series is: I don't get how McGillis can be so stupid. Like, we're looking at this guy's master plan here, and there's no real chance of it ever succeeding. Doesn't that kind of go against everything else we know about this guy, that's he's supposed to be a capable & intelligent person? Did he really think this was going to work?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

rudatron posted:

The one plot-hole I'm not liking in this series is: I don't get how McGillis can be so stupid. Like, we're looking at this guy's master plan here, and there's no real chance of it ever succeeding. Doesn't that kind of go against everything else we know about this guy, that's he's supposed to be a capable & intelligent person? Did he really think this was going to work?

He figured protagonist power would give him the deus ex machina he needed. He didn't realize this wasn't that kind of story.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't think you guys realize even real world tyrants and masterminds also are geniuses with really stupid end-goals if it involves "Take over X area."

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

He is very intelligent and a master schemer but his core desire isn't reform or power but becoming Agnika. He is running after a childish fantasy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

rudatron posted:

He knew he was hosed the moment he realized Gaelio was still alive. McG was going to take longer to execute his plan, slowly ostracizing Rustal while gaining clout within GH before he took over. But with Gaelio still being alive there was no way he could realistically achieve that, because the moment that would come out to light he'd lose any political strength he had within the rest of the faction. He says as much when he talks about it, something like "he has me by the throat, but he'll never crush my spirit" and when he talks to Almiria, saying that even though he might hate him, even if it'll take time, he will make her happy. Seems pretty suicidal looking back to it.

The title for the next episode just seems mistranslated. Scapegoat brings an entirely different image than the word they are using but maybe they have some info from sunrise.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's just nice to have people on the other side that you like that haven't joined the protag's team at this point.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The title for the next episode just seems mistranslated. Scapegoat brings an entirely different image than the word they are using but maybe they have some info from sunrise.

My knowledge of japanese is far from perfect, but I think "Sacrifice" wouldn't be quite right either. As far as I understand "ikenie" means something or someone who is sacrificed against their will, whereas "sacrifice" by itself as a title brings to my mind some kind of self-sacrifice.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
So okay, you can say that his intent is childish, but surely part of his goal would be to 'not die'. All of his actions so far are just suicidal.

I dunno, either we get some kind of Mobile Armor gambit, or I'll be disappointed.

speculation: Agnika's book has been a pretty important 'device' when the series has examined McGillis's past. We also know that McGillis gave tekkadan an area on Mars where a mobile armor ended up being buried. What are the odds the book actually shows the burial locations of all the other mobile armors?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

genericnick posted:

He is running after a childish fantasy.
It's interesting that McGillis has just enough swagger to tempt people like Orga with similarly foolhardy fantasies ("The King of Mars"), but he still ends up blinded by his own self-mythologizing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Droyer posted:

My knowledge of japanese is far from perfect, but I think "Sacrifice" wouldn't be quite right either. As far as I understand "ikenie" means something or someone who is sacrificed against their will, whereas "sacrifice" by itself as a title brings to my mind some kind of self-sacrifice.

Ikenie has the same root meaning as sacrifice. Both involve religion/spirituality and giving offerings to gods/spirits. Yes, the problem is that they can be interpreted differently, but scapegoat has the same issue. Might as well translate it more literally, unless of course you have foreknowledge of something that will happen next.

Like, I'd use ikenie for the sort of sacrifice Mika has been doing to get more out of Barbatos, if I wanted to be poetic. Even though his actions themselves could be seen as self sacrifice, the act of offering his limbs for that power would be ikenie.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rudatron posted:

So okay, you can say that his intent is childish, but surely part of his goal would be to 'not die'. All of his actions so far are just suicidal.

I dunno, either we get some kind of Mobile Armor gambit, or I'll be disappointed.

speculation: Agnika's book has been a pretty important 'device' when the series has examined McGillis's past. We also know that McGillis gave tekkadan an area on Mars where a mobile armor ended up being buried. What are the odds the book actually shows the burial locations of all the other mobile armors?

The Mobile Armor was an accident. Tekkadan were given the Half-Metal Mine by Teiwaz and just happened to unearth the wretched thing along with the Flauros Gundam. They asked McGillis what it was and his response was a very surprised "JESUS gently caress, DO NOTHING UNTIL I GET THERE TO UN-gently caress THIS DISASTER IN THE MAKING!"

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Mobile Armor was an accident. Tekkadan were given the Half-Metal Mine by Teiwaz and just happened to unearth the wretched thing along with the Flauros Gundam. They asked McGillis what it was and his response was a very surprised "JESUS gently caress, DO NOTHING UNTIL I GET THERE TO UN-gently caress THIS DISASTER IN THE MAKING!"

The irony being that in a way he DID end up causing the disaster, given a certain idiot wouldn't have shown up if McGillis hadn't snuck off to see it. And at this point we can't even say that Gaelio was way off track in his reasoning as to why McGillis was going there, just that the thought hadn't yet occurred to him to kill it and be more like Agnika.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think both Gaelio and McGilles are trapped in the realms of story. McGilles is obvious but Gaelio is so determined to see everything as black and white that he fails to understand why somebody who has nothing would want to break the status quo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hunt11 posted:

I think both Gaelio and McGilles are trapped in the realms of story. McGilles is obvious but Gaelio is so determined to see everything as black and white that he fails to understand why somebody who has nothing would want to break the status quo.

He stated he did understand him. As he already knew someone of the same type. But McGillis words and the dreams he inspires are lies, and he never would have given him what he wanted.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/koni_ko222/status/838305941258895362

I hope Yamagi gets through the rest of the series alive so he can make ice flowers for Shino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

So I guess we're going to get baby Mika now what with Atra looking different.

• Locked thread