Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Purr Objectives posted:

a lot of weird debit card hate iit
Debit cards have their place, but credit has a better mechanism for internet purchases, completely ignoring any applicable differences in fraud issues (there shouldn't be much difference, these days).

Also, cash back / rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.
I know but people getting riled up and tribal about it is weird.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Agree that getting all territorial about which type of card you like to use is really dumb. Enjoy your rewards if that's your thing but my credit isn't great so I work with what I got. I'm working on it - get off my loving back.

Also, I'm not actually complaining about it, I'm just saying that yeah my card was charged and whether it's "pending" or not doesn't make a difference in usability. I use Simple as my bank and they show you a safe-to-spend balance and that pending charge means "hey idiot don't spend this money because it's about to be out of your bank account."

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Just pay off your credit card in full every month and it's basically free money.

Plus interest free loan for 15-30 days depending where in the billing cycle you are.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

We're far away from the point of this thread, but isn't a credit card just a way to spend a lot of money that gets you into trouble if you don't pay it back? I don't really understand how it can be looked at as "free money?"

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Credit cards are only dangerous if you spend more than you have. Also applies to debit (spend your whole balance the day before rent is due...)

And yeah, we're a bit off topic at this point.

The card I use most often is 2% back on everything. Since I pay it off every month, that's a 2% discount on everything, ergo "free money".

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I posted some moneyshaming itt and i regret it

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Why do you people care so much about how people use their money? JFC

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
My credit score is in the shitter now and forever so no credit company in their right mind would issue me a card, so debit is kinda all I have.

unless we have suddenly collectively reversed our opinions on paypal, lol

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

ilkhan posted:

The card I use most often is 2% back on everything. Since I pay it off every month, that's a 2% discount on everything, ergo "free money".

You get any recommendation perks for referring others to sign up? I could use some free money.

Speaking of free money (and kind of coming back on topic), I'm trying to figure out how to get that discounted T-Mobile bill by bringing my Pixel over or whatever. I switched from ATT to T-Mobile a few months ago. Anyone else have success with this? I tried using the website but it said there were no offers available on my account.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

You get any recommendation perks for referring others to sign up? I could use some free money.

Speaking of free money (and kind of coming back on topic), I'm trying to figure out how to get that discounted T-Mobile bill by bringing my Pixel over or whatever. I switched from ATT to T-Mobile a few months ago. Anyone else have success with this? I tried using the website but it said there were no offers available on my account.
Its a Citi Double Cash, so not that I'm aware of. If you want to talk about CCs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679537

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Shut up about credit cards. JFC

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Shut up about credit cards. JFC
So... what do we want to see on the Pixel 2? Beyond the obvious (waterproof, front facing stereo speakers)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fingerprint reader, wireless charging... Good battery life. That's about it for me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

So... what do we want to see on the Pixel 2? Beyond the obvious (waterproof, front facing stereo speakers)

Just those items. Maybe a bigger battery and smaller bottom bezel. I'm so happy with this phone, can't wait for the next one.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Given how much people raved about the Pixel battery life, I don't think it's that impressive. It's certainly good enough to get me through a normal day without issues, but honestly it's no better than the 5X.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, I'm not really impressed with the battery either. I almost always have to charge mine from about 50% midday.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilkhan posted:

Replaceable battery, expandable storage, dual sim, HDMI out, and a USB-B port.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FAUXTON posted:

Replaceable battery, expandable storage, dual sim, HDMI out, and a USB-B port.

The Homer of cell phones.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mister Macys posted:

The Homer of cell phones.

I also need it to be sweat-proof and it needs to be a resistive touch screen so it doesn't register my hair oil as touch input. Preferably some grippy patches on the back.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
You forgot the IR blaster. :mad:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

El Mido posted:

You forgot the IR blaster. :mad:

gently caress, and the projector. AND the lanyard loop thing so I can put my collection of super «kawaii» (that means cute) «pinku» (that means pink) asuka charms on there.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

And a second mini screen (e-ink) just for notifications and music apps.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mister Macys posted:

And a second mini screen (e-ink) just for notifications and music apps.

Graphic novels too

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Physical keyboard.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My Verizon Nexus 6 still hasn't gotten 7.1 (.1?) and the last security patch was in October. Should I be looking for some way to force it to update? Allegedly this was supposed to have happened in January.

I've actually been wanting to do a factory reset for a while, but I've been holding off because I heard this update was about to drop. Still waiting.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
My nexus 6 is also on 7.0 (AT&T) Last security update was January though.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Physical keyboard.

Clamshell physical keyboard.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Headphone jack

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
USB port

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Kerbtree posted:

Phone with a PS/2 port.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

[you can skip the first ranty bit...]
I complained about Smart Lock a few pages back, my favourite 3rd party smart unlocker had been unsupported for a while without me noticing and I curse the hour I uninstalled it. I relented and tried the built-in, only-option-now smart lock and it is a hilariously unreliable piece of poo poo. One time it managed to lock when I was in the stairs down from the apartment, which impressed me, but mostly it treats "home" as ~150 yard circle around my building, which is not good enough. Today I went on a trip 150 miles from home and it was unlocked the entire time. Now that I'm home, it's locked and I have to punch the PIN code every time. How unsmart does it have to be to work in exact opposite of its advertised functionality? Location service was fine all day, it nailed my position on the ski trails with the usual perfect accuracy.

Sorry for the rant, but Google intentionally removing support for 3rd party apps so the only option is their own lovely one makes me very internet angry.

[...and just answer these, thank you]

1. Is anyone getting reliable service out of location based Smart Lock?
2. Is there really no way to get WiFi-triggered screen unlock?

Using a Sony Z3 Compact on 6.0.1

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kerbtree posted:

Sony Xperia Play (PSP Go) controls

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Macys posted:

Sony Xperia Play (PSP Go) controls

This but unironically.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Location based works for me, but I did have to submit a correction to maps for my address. Tried adding a manual point instead of your home?

You sure you're not just triggering the on body detection unlock when you're out and about?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

PerrineClostermann posted:

This but unironically.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/26/the-next-wave-of-moto-mods-turn-your-phone-into-gamepad/

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

I thought I'd heard that they'd already given up on Moto Mods. Huh.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Digital OTA TV tuner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Location based works for me, but I did have to submit a correction to maps for my address. Tried adding a manual point instead of your home?

You sure you're not just triggering the on body detection unlock when you're out and about?

The "home" location is spot on and it has worked ok at times, it's just erratic. I thought it might be some of the other functions interfering but I've double checked they're all disabled.