Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mine says same, but it's usps and is literally still 3000 miles away so I guess USPS has some magic to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Might get hot down there, maybe that could get funky?

You could also just accept that a device you use everyday with your hands is going to get some superficial wear and tear and not stress over it.

Thanks, that's the kind of caveat i was looking for... I don't want to get like burnt microfiber stuck to my device. Although if the Switch gets that hot I've got other problems.

And I'm not stressing about it, but since it would take a dollar of materials and two minutes of my time it seemed worth looking into.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
As I've mentioned in this thread once or twice, this is my first console from Nintendo since SNES. So I'm hopelessly clueless.

1) will this ever have virtual console?

2) does that mean I could ever play Super Punch Out or Super Mario World on it?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Walmart remains confident that my Switch will be arriving on March 3. That's 363 days of avoiding Zelda spoilers for me...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Feenix posted:

1) will this ever have virtual console?

As you are clearly aware, we are all psychics here...

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is there a way to view time played for games at the OS level or alternatively for Zelda specifically?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

zenintrude posted:

As you are clearly aware, we are all psychics here...

Hey. It's my own ignorance coming into Switch interest super late, but I thought maybe it was known but something not coming for a while.
Didn't realize nothing was known.
Sorry :)

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It will absolutely have virtual console, we just don't know when yet.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It will have virtual console and Mario World is a near guarantee. Not sure about PunchOut. No one knows WHEN this will happen because Nintendo rushed it out the gate and they're not done with many features.

I know people are all "I just want it to play games!" but I'd really like Netflix/Amazon Video/etc on this. The fast startup time and portability are really nice. I don't have an Xbox or PS so I usually use my Wii U which is crazy slow to startup and has a terrible interface.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

But will the VC have portable games or home console ones?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I kinda just want to play Xenoblade Chronicles on this thing. I'm of the belief that every Nintendo console now should have Xenoblade Chronicles. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks fun and I will buy that, but I also want Xenoblade Chronicles.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Just got back from Target. They had 22 and that covered everyone in line. More neons than gray, which I thought was interesting.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

SelenicMartian posted:

Given Nintendo's VC history Nes, Snes and N64 are the sure bets, Gameboy/colour/advance are pretty likely, Wii and Gamecube are possible but unknown (controller issues?) and DS & 3DS are unlikely (not enough screens).

This is Nintendo tho. so who fucken knows. Like in 2 years time we could be drowning in Virtual Boy and turbografix titles while Nintendo holds back Mario 3 for just the right tie-in marketing sale.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

SelenicMartian posted:

Definitely home console games as Gamecube VC is on the way and the subscription service will include month long rentals of NES and SNES games with added online functionality.

We don't know about portable games yet.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Give me the GC library at £5 a pop, N64 at £3.50, SNES at £2.50 and NES at 99p. Then I'll consider re-buying all these ROMs otherwise get hosed.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Mr Phillby posted:

Given Nintendo's VC history Nes, Snes and N64 are the sure bets, Gameboy/colour/advance are pretty likely, Wii and Gamecube are possible but unknown (controller issues?) and DS & 3DS are unlikely (not enough screens).

The switch isn't doesn't have a touchscreen either does it? That would probably kill the notion of 3DS games on it. Unless I've completely missed something and it DOES have a touchscreen, I've only really taken an interest in the last couple of days

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
It does

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Haven't posted in this thread since Friday morning, too busy playing my Switch. :smug:

My verdict is: hardware wise they didn't knock it out of the park. There are some things I don't like about it physically. But when it comes to the core idea of the Switch (its versatility) I believe they did, in fact knock it out of the park. My aha moment was exactly what I thought it would be: playing Zelda Friday night and having to take a dump. Took that baby right out of the dock and kept right on playing. It was everything I dreamed it would be.

I've tried to go so many places in Zelda and I still feel like I'm barely like 5% into the game. The story is so engrossing though, I don't even know how it ends but so far I'd say this is by far the best storyline in a Zelda game. A very epic story to match an epic game. Also, I've died. A LOT.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Linx posted:

The switch isn't doesn't have a touchscreen either does it? That would probably kill the notion of 3DS games on it. Unless I've completely missed something and it DOES have a touchscreen, I've only really taken an interest in the last couple of days

Read the OP

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

Give me the GC library at £5 a pop, N64 at £3.50, SNES at £2.50 and NES at 99p. Then I'll consider re-buying all these ROMs otherwise get hosed.

You're dreaming.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I was gonna pick one up on Monday but in true nintendo fasion it seems places nearby have run out of stock and have no idea when / if theyll be gettung any more. they should make a gamecube adapter for this thing

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I bet GC games are $12-15.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

nerd_of_prey posted:

I got a switch (yay) and am loving it so far, my only slight annoyance is when in handheld mode the left joycon has a bit of wiggle (it moves backwards and forwards a little), the right one seems completely secured no wiggling. It doesn't affect gameplay and it's not going to fall off but it is a little irritating. Is this a common thing?

I dunno how common it is, but I have the same thing. I had to double and triple check to ensure I wasn't damaging the rail.

I tested the joycons in reverse and its still the (normally) left one that has wiggle, so suspect its something with the rails on the joycon as opposed to the switch's rail)

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Mahoning posted:

My aha moment was exactly what I thought it would be: playing Zelda Friday night and having to take a dump. Took that baby right out of the dock and kept right on playing. It was everything I dreamed it would be.

How much time do people spend in the bathroom, take your dump and come back to the living room. You disgusting people!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nolgthorn posted:

How much time do people spend in the bathroom, take your dump and come back to the living room. You disgusting people!

That Switch has faecal matter all over it. Every nook and cranny.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

I bet GC games are $12-15.

If this means I get Chibi Robo on the Switch worth it

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Hey guys I just want to update you all on how my Switch ownership is going. Currently I cannot buy one because it doesn't have Netflix and I rely on my Nintendo to watch shows, so I'll stick to my Wii U for the time being. Just thought everyone needed to know.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nolgthorn posted:

Hey guys I just want to update you all on how my Switch ownership is going. Currently I cannot buy one because it doesn't have Netflix and I rely on my Nintendo to watch shows, so I'll stick to my Wii U for the time being. Just thought everyone needed to know.

Why not keep your old Nintendo box? Or get any electronic device released in the last decade?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If this means I get Chibi Robo on the Switch worth it

Me, but FE9.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Nolgthorn posted:

Here's a wild idea. Still use your Wii U for Netflix, but get a switch because it's good.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If they keep the Wii U "pay a dollar to rebuy titles you already own" thing, I won't be thrilled but it'd be ok. Honestly the portability is a huge selling point for VC stuff for me. Having SNES games on the go without smartphone emulator touchscreen crap would be great.

Obviously the ideal would be that you don't have to pay if you already bought them, but we all know that isn't happening.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I'll buy a Switch after I beat Paper Mario Color Splash, at this rate the Switch will probably support Netflix and new Mario will come out, there will probably be a bundle deal.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I feel sorry for anybody using the Netflix app on a Nintendo

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ethanol posted:

I feel sorry for anybody using the Netflix app on a Nintendo

It's so bad. It doesn't help that the Wii U itself is slow as poo poo. I didn't realize just how much so until I saw the Switch in action.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

If they keep the Wii U "pay a dollar to rebuy titles you already own" thing, I won't be thrilled but it'd be ok. Honestly the portability is a huge selling point for VC stuff for me. Having SNES games on the go without smartphone emulator touchscreen crap would be great.

Obviously the ideal would be that you don't have to pay if you already bought them, but we all know that isn't happening.

You don't already own any Switch virtual console titles though. You won't have to pay a dollar to rebuy Switch virtual console titles.

There may be a discount on Switch virtual console titles that correspond to 3DS or Wii/Wii U virtual console titles registered to your account though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

I mean, I bring my phone to the toilet so I can read the forums...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

jivjov posted:

You don't already own any Switch virtual console titles though. You won't have to pay a dollar to rebuy Switch virtual console titles.

There may be a discount on Switch virtual console titles that correspond to 3DS or Wii/Wii U virtual console titles registered to your account though.

You know exactly what I mean dude why are you acting so obtuse?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I'll say the Switch has one of the simplest, cleanest, and fastest UI's I've ever seen. It's something you'd expect out of Apple when they're at their best.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

You know exactly what I mean dude why are you acting so obtuse?

Because while you may mean one thing, you are actually saying quite another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

:jerkbag:

• Locked thread