Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
lowtax plz don't spend $30,000 migrating the archives to xenforo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

might be a bit belated but the point still stands: i don't think the forums rewrite is going.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

clojurescript is a lisp

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Dr. Hans Klangwerk posted:

I just want to be clear that I got quite far in the process of building the new forums before my personal situation/life changed quite a bit in ways I couldn't predict. I disagree with the people who say it isn't possible for one person to do the work, but I can't be that person anymore. Sorry!

Dr. Hans Klangwerk posted:

Yeah, it's not that it's half-baked (the parts I finished were production quality) but I doubt it would be very useful to anyone at this moment, since it's basically half a forum. I haven't given up on the project, and I think Lowtax is still on board with using our own software if it becomes stable at some point in the future. It just will probably take too long at this point, and as Lowtax has mentioned there are reasons to want to migrate off of the current software in the near term.

another successful goon proujekect

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
"it's production-ready except it's not."

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
also I'm not releasing it to anyone else because its only half done

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
I absolutely, 100% believe that half a forum is completed

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
he just can't show it to us because it wouldn't be of any use

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Just look at the other projects I've completed such as

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Ploft-shell crab posted:

I absolutely, 100% believe that half a forum is completed

"my uncle works at nintendo and has the best forum software. he let me see it and i put some of the ideas into my code, but my uncle saw it and said i'm not allowed to show anyone in case he gets fired"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

what a boob

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pram posted:

lmao. the last 10% of a project takes 90% of the effort. this guy did the easy stuff and then bailed out.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
At least lowtax figured him out in a few months instead of a few years like radium.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
did we establish whether lowtax actually paid this guy?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
gonna assume that's a yuuuuuuuup

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Gazpacho posted:

He already went to college for computer,
Literally a phrase my grandmother has used

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Management posted:

did we establish whether lowtax actually paid this guy?

doubtful

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
im really getting a lot of laughs out of these forums announcements where he tries to pretend it's 1999 again and everyone is dying for a mood house sequel.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
March 4th or whatever day it is today update:

I'm currently in contact and talking with the people from Xenforo about migrating to their forum software package. Working on the details such as customization, costs, archives, and ramifications of moving now vs when they release v2.0. The cost of importing / migrating all the archived posts is gonna be a real bitch, so here's hoping we can work out a deal!

Sincerely,

Rich "Kyanka" Kyanka

pram
Jun 10, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

im really getting a lot of laughs out of these forums announcements where he tries to pretend it's 1999 again and everyone is dying for a mood house sequel.

2x the monkey and 4x the cheese

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
At least he's not looking for another beat down by uwe boll

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Yet

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Millstone posted:

I'm currently in contact and talking with the people from Xenforo about migrating to their forum software package. Working on the details such as customization, costs, archives, and ramifications of moving now vs when they release v2.0. The cost of importing / migrating all the archived posts is gonna be a real bitch, so here's hoping we can work out a deal!

Sincerely,

Rich "Kyanka" Kyanka

I agree, let's wait until the untested version comes out to migrate our weirdly complicated paperclip-and-bubblegum forums.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

same

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm confused about why migrating posts is such a big deal. write a script to query the posts, transform the tags in them, dump them into a transaction file in the sql format of the new forum, and do a batch insert when done. writing the script takes effort, obviously, but it's hardly insurmountable.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

I'm confused about why migrating posts is such a big deal. write a script to query the posts, transform the tags in them, dump them into a transaction file in the sql format of the new forum, and do a batch insert when done. writing the script takes effort, obviously, but it's hardly insurmountable.

xenforo probably charges by the post or something

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I don't get why he keeps getting hung up on migrating existing forums content at all. ~my precious treasure trove of shitposts~ whatever shall I do without it, laments the taxman

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Clockwerk posted:

my precious treasure trove of shitposts~ whatever shall I do without it

unfortunately this is what half the forum actually believes

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sweevo posted:

unfortunately this is what half the forum actually believes

They say that but how many people would really leave? You would just have a bunch of reposts and continuations on the new board. Instead lowtax wants the xenforo team to migrate this rats nest of code and it's going to cost a lot for their time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

just dump the database and let people download it if they want, anybody who wants to build a frontend to it can go hog wild. bringing it across into the structure of a new forum seems like a waste of effort.

host it at sa if you want to still sell archives access, its got to be a cheaper option than migrating it.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

yeah, plenty of good options that don't involve twiddling thumbs and also don't lock him out of eventually providing access to the archives in the future. but no, let's make archives a top priority and hold everything back until it's accomplished

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's because archives cost money, isn't it?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

people are going to flip their poo poo if the post button is two pixels to the left, so god forbid you don't port over the vital stuff like the posting gloryhole or saclopedia

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Clockwerk posted:

I don't get why he keeps getting hung up on migrating existing forums content at all. ~my precious treasure trove of shitposts~ whatever shall I do without it, laments the taxman

need to migrate users anyway, and i suspect there is far more sa-specific strangeness to take into account there than there is in getting threads migrated over

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
so tl;dr:

i will write a commercial grade forums solution, from scratch, in less than a year, by myself

so for personal reasons, i'll have to bail on this totally 90% completed project, no you can't see the code

whoever could have seen this coming? no one, probably

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Millstone posted:

Sincerely,

Rich "Kyanka" Kyanka
this reads like one of those journal entries in a horror film where the characters suddenly realize that the main character is actually insane and no help or rescue is coming as they have been only talking to themselves the whole time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm sure this has been discussed to death, but what was the logic behind paying some rando to reinvent the wheel from first principles, rather than pay for customization of a proven solution?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
ugh why not build a simple archives viewer instead of trying to jam it into xenforo

just throw it up on elasticsearch or something and make people pay to use the frontend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

so tl;dr:

i will write a commercial grade forums solution, from scratch, in less than a year, by myself

so for personal reasons, i'll have to bail on this totally 90% completed project, no you can't see the code

whoever could have seen this coming? no one, probably

the best part is when he said that the code that he did write is "production ready"

• Locked thread