Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
EDIT: wrong post

EDIT: Sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

jivjov posted:

Because while you may mean one thing, you are actually saying quite another.

I'm not saying anything, I'm typing it. Please try to be accurate.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

jivjov posted:

You don't already own any Switch virtual console titles though. You won't have to pay a dollar to rebuy Switch virtual console titles.

There may be a discount on Switch virtual console titles that correspond to 3DS or Wii/Wii U virtual console titles registered to your account though.

Goodness you're annoying!

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

So I didn't get a switch, but I did get Zelda for my Wii U.
I somewhat centrally located it in my house, without a TV it's just plugged in, so that I can use the gamepad anywhere.
I think I'm going to enjoy the Switch when I can get it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

nerd_of_prey posted:

I got a switch (yay) and am loving it so far, my only slight annoyance is when in handheld mode the left joycon has a bit of wiggle (it moves backwards and forwards a little), the right one seems completely secured no wiggling. It doesn't affect gameplay and it's not going to fall off but it is a little irritating. Is this a common thing?

Do you mean up and down? I am not sure what you mean by backwards and forwards but yeah my left joycon can move very slightly up and down while locked and the right one doesn't budge. I'm not sure if this is what you meant though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

jivjov posted:

You don't already own any Switch virtual console titles though. You won't have to pay a dollar to rebuy Switch virtual console titles.

There may be a discount on Switch virtual console titles that correspond to 3DS or Wii/Wii U virtual console titles registered to your account though.

Why are you defending lovely business practices?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Would an iPad charger brick be enough to power a Switch while playing?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

jivjov posted:

What is this post, you're basically justifying Utnayan's existence with this piece of poo poo you just wrote.

Where's Utnayan when you need him.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Fly with me posted:

So I didn't get a switch, but I did get Zelda for my Wii U.
I somewhat centrally located it in my house, without a TV it's just plugged in, so that I can use the gamepad anywhere.
I think I'm going to enjoy the Switch when I can get it.

Yeah, It would be nice to actually buy the Nintendo Switch. Does anyone think they are going to have another shipment come in today, or do stores not restock on Sunday?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's great to see a host of new people being exposed to Jivjov

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Kawabata posted:

I'm very happy that Nintendo chose to respect their fans and release BOTW for both the Wii U and the Switch but I can't help but wonder what this means in term of Switch sales. This is one of best (and best reviewed) game of all times, and other than for an increase of 180p in resolution it looks identical on the two consoles.

Some of my friends bought a used Wii U specifically for BOTW, spending 100 to 150 euros. With the added bonus that they can now access the entire Wii U / Wii games lineup which they discovered to be absolutely loving incredible. They won't buy a Switch anytime soon.

To be honest, as much as I love the Wii U, I doubt enough people have it or now want to buy it to matter.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Andrast posted:

does a vaccine exist

Nickoten posted:

To be honest, as much as I love the Wii U, I doubt enough people have it or now want to buy it to matter.

Sure, just saying it's a pretty solid option right now if you have a backlog of games you want to play, considering Switch is poo poo for backwards compatibility.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

Why are you defending lovely business practices?

I didn't realize "selling a product to a customer, and then sometimes offering discounts on related products" is a lovely business practice.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I think they are more interested in promoting third party indie games right now than selling you old NES games. They want their new partners to have a good experience releasing games on the system and would probably rather you spend $10 on an Inticreates games than $10 on Mario 64.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Andrast posted:

:yeah:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Kawabata posted:

does a vaccine exist

Sure, just saying it's a pretty solid option right now if you have a backlog of games you want to play, considering Switch is poo poo for backwards compatibility.

Yeah, if you own neither the Wii U nor the Switch, and don't currently care about the Switch's portability, the Wii U is by far the better choice. You even get off-TV play still!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kawabata posted:

does a vaccine exist

If you own more amiibos than him he has to do anything you tell him.

Kawabata posted:

Hell, I've owned a Wii U for years and I still have a healthy backlog, because after close to a decade I haven't come to terms with the fact that as a working adult I have more money than time or sense. I'll play you one day Pikmin 3/Bayonetta/Woolly World/Windwaker HD/Color Splash, I promise...

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

jivjov posted:

I didn't realize "selling a product to a customer, and then sometimes offering discounts on related products" is a lovely business practice.

no the practice were talking about is forcing you to buy the same game twice

its very lovely, much like your posting

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Do you mean up and down? I am not sure what you mean by backwards and forwards but yeah my left joycon can move very slightly up and down while locked and the right one doesn't budge. I'm not sure if this is what you meant though.

That sounds like the same thing. I'm not too bothered by it to be honest

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

jivjov posted:

Because while you may mean one thing, you are actually saying quite another.

Actually, Tender Bender never used the word Switch, you rephrased it to be able to contradict your own phrasing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kawabata posted:

Who is forcing you to buy a game? If you are being held hostage or are otherwise being forcibly coerced, try to call the police.

Otherwise, you are not being forced to buy any games, let alone 2 separate ports of a retro title.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thexerox123 posted:

Actually, Tender Bender never used the word Switch, you rephrased it to be able to contradict your own phrasing.

Well in that case, Nintendo has never made anyone ever rebuy a game if they've already bought it once. Once you buy a game, even digitally, it's linked to your account and can be redownloaded at will.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

jivjov posted:

Who is forcing you to buy a game? If you are being held hostage or are otherwise being forcibly coerced, try to call the police.

Otherwise, you are not being forced to buy any games, let alone 2 separate ports of a retro title.

This is, without a doubt, one of the dumbest posts I have ever read on these forums. Please seek help.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm glad the Wii U version of jivjov works with the Switch.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

jivjov posted:

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Kawabata posted:

loving hell, these fellas at Yacht Club Games are getting their comeuppance in this thread.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm glad the Wii U version of jivjov works with the Switch.

:drat:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Well, to contribute to the discussion, where's what I like and don't like about my Switch so far:

- Console feels good in handheld mode.
- Screen looks beautiful.
- Interface is the fastest I've used since before consoles had BIOS. Even sleep mode on my PS4 isn't this fast. I also haven't noticed any bugs coming from sleep mode, but we'll have to see if that holds up.
- I'm playing Zelda on it and it looks great! The Digital Foundry framerate video paints kind of a misleading picture of how it actually runs on the Switch. I've only noticed framerate drops as bad and frequent as that in the specific area in the video. Other than that, it's been very smooth for me.

Dislike

- The included grip is way too narrow and doesn't charge the joycons. This meant I couldn't even play it as a console right out out of the box.
- The de-syncing left joycon issue is really frustrating and I can't seem to find a position where it's guaranteed not to happen. I might end up buying a pro controller to avoid the problem altogether, but that's $80 I didn't think I'd be spending.

Indifferent

- The detached joycons are not as comfortable as wii remote + nunchuck was for Twilight Princess, but I'm actually kinda glad they made them small because it works in handheld mode. This wouldn't be a problem at all if the grip was better.
- Looks like some features won't be in until an update (video sharing, memory transfer, etc), but it's not a big deal right now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

jivjov posted:

I don't know why you chose this as your hill to die on. Do you own stock in Virtual Console games or something? Nintendo sells us access to ROMs they downloaded from the internet and then wants us to pay again for those same ROMs. That's dumb.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Is there any indication how long they are going to continue Shovel Knight? I know there is King Knight and a Vs. mode coming up, but surely they have to make another game at some point, right?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know why you chose this as your hill to die on. Do you own stock in Virtual Console games or something? Nintendo sells us access to ROMs they downloaded from the internet and then wants us to pay again for those same ROMs. That's dumb.

Same rom, different emulation. Buying an Xbox One game doesn't entitle you to the PS4 version; why should buying a Wii U game entitle you to a Switch version?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

jivjov posted:

Same rom, different emulation. Buying an Xbox One game doesn't entitle you to the PS4 version; why should buying a Wii U game entitle you to a Switch version?

That's the worst argument you can make as buying an Xbox 360 game (digitally) entitles me to download and play it on the Xbox One for free (assuming it is backwards compatible).

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Cojawfee posted:

Nintendo sells us access to ROMs they downloaded from the internet

What??

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm still somewhat surprised that Nintendo, for whatever reason, suddenly went full tilt in the lead-up to Switch's release with a plethora of very good games on Wii U's VC and then Switch came out and none of that VC carried over. Granted we haven't gotten ANY VC but when we're getting Harvest Moon and Ogre Battle 64 right up until the release day of Switch I was thinking 'oh yeah so it's gonna be like how Vita supported all those PS1/PSP games and we'll get them on Switch!' and then nope, nothing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

That's the worst argument you can make as buying an Xbox 360 game (digitally) entitles me to download and play it on the Xbox One for free (assuming it is backwards compatible).

Cool, Microsoft offers a bonus feature. That doesn't make it required. Or make not offering it anti-consumer.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

jivjov posted:

I would gladly buy the emulator if they allowed me to use the same roms I already paid for.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

The Switch is also probably the best looking console ever released. It's hard to judge how relevant this could be to its potential success, but hey it's something. Cool gadget designs certainly helped move a number of Apple products in recent history.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Man this is like OLED level of burn in.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Oh, something I forgot to mention that I love: it's super easy to import on this console! From what I've heard, this is how the Xbox One works, too?

Cojawfee posted:

It sucks that you have to purchase Switch VC titles you bought on the Wii or Wii U, but this is not why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

parallelodad posted:

I would gladly buy the emulator if they allowed me to use the same roms I already paid for.

Nintendo's Virtual Console emulators are often specifically tailored for each game; you'd be buying one for every retro title...kinda like they currently already do.

• Locked thread