Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

How much time and money did we spend on EMAILS and BENGHAZI only to repeatedly turn up nothing? Because that's one of the major things disingenuous hacks like Ramirez deliberately never bring up. Every single one of those loving things was investigated, over and over and over and over and over and (imagine I filled a page with this poo poo) and OVER and gently caress-all was found.

But sure, let's use that to ignore very real and dangerous allegations about Russia loving with our government.

And then there's Good Ol' Chip Bok, who loses his poo poo over "hey a lot of these guys may have had connections to the Russians" but I'd bet had loving nothing to say over "Mexico is flooding our country with criminals" type poo poo and is fully in favor of the cops pre-emptively jailing anybody two shades darker than milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Mayor Kenney :argh:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Beware of he who would deny you access to soda, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

...Soda tax is bad? Why?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

...Soda tax is bad? Why?

freedm

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

SSNeoman posted:

...Soda tax is bad? Why?

Liberals like it therefore it's The Worst (for once leftists and the GOP agree).

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

SSNeoman posted:

...Soda tax is bad? Why?

The general argument is that sin taxes -- raising taxes on things to keep people from using them, like cigarettes -- lets the government lean on individuals and their decisions. And besides, sales taxes are regressive because they hurt the poor more than the rich, so they shouldn't be raised.

The real reason is because Obama and New York Democrats have promoted them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SSNeoman posted:

...Soda tax is bad? Why?

There are also some more complicated (but very strong) nutrition science reasons to think that the role of sugary beverages in obesity is massively overstated. Research in that area is really difficult and often badly done, and there was a big bandwagon to blame sugar/soda for a couple years that's still ongoing due to its politicization. This isn't to say Coca Cola et al are saints in any way, shape, or form, but if taxes on sugary drinks do cause people to consume less of them, it's unlikely to have a significant, or possibly any, effect on the American waistline.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Abyssal Squid posted:

Liberals like it therefore it's The Worst (for once leftists and the GOP agree).

For once? They've been on the same page almost nonstop for a year, with the GOP trying to fracture the dems and leftists eating that poo poo up with a shovel. Identity politics are a distraction, Hillary said nothing about jobs, liberals are scaring away voters by attacking guns, dem leadership is ratfucking younger voices, nearly every bit of propaganda these Nazis put out becomes immediate leftist Dogma, and they never ever ever learn.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fulchrum posted:

For once? They've been on the same page almost nonstop for a year, with the GOP trying to fracture the dems and leftists eating that poo poo up with a shovel. Identity politics are a distraction, Hillary said nothing about jobs, liberals are scaring away voters by attacking guns, dem leadership is ratfucking younger voices, nearly every bit of propaganda these Nazis put out becomes immediate leftist Dogma, and they never ever ever learn.

Source your quotes

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

For once?

I knew that was the wrong wording, I should have said "on this" instead, but :justpost:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Never occurred to me that KAL did cartoons for anyone other than The Economist for some reason.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

deak

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Trogdos! posted:

Mayor Kenney :argh:
That soda tax is what's going to really ruin things, I tell you. The city cannot survive that one.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

:cripes:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Democrats do not need to manufacture any outrage, there is smoke emerging from the Trump White House.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

One of the best I've seen in a long while. Elegant, original metaphor and nice art.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Source your quotes

Source: it is a fulchrum post

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
bellend is such an idiot.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

SexyBlindfold posted:

It suddenly occured to me that Garrison's work would go great with dril quotes.

I think you might be on to something here! Dril quotes and garrison snap together like Legos.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

SSNeoman posted:

...Soda tax is bad? Why?

I don't know how widespread it is, but I've stopped doing any grocery shopping in Philadelphia now. I drive another few miles down Ridge Pike and shop at Weis, because the amount I save on soda makes it absolutely worth my time. So for me, at least, the city's taking a loss on that tax.

Stevoblunt
Mar 12, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

I don't know how widespread it is, but I've stopped doing any grocery shopping in Philadelphia now. I drive another few miles down Ridge Pike and shop at Weis, because the amount I save on soda makes it absolutely worth my time. So for me, at least, the city's taking a loss on that tax.

Sin taxes and sales tax is regressive and dumb, but driving miles out of your way to avoid paying a very small tax on soda is equally dumb. That's like the people where I live driving 5 miles out of town to shop at the grocery store that doesn't charge them 5 cents for every bag they use.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Baloogan posted:

Beware of he who would deny you access to soda, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
What do I care for your Soda? Coke, even Pepsi, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the carbonation, now act on it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

So Garrison has a thing for sexy mare heads? There's this horsification of Ann Coulter, and the burkaed mount of the Radical Islam of Apocalypse.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cat Mattress posted:

So Garrison has a thing for sexy mare heads? There's this horsification of Ann Coulter, and the burkaed mount of the Radical Islam of Apocalypse.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

The Democrats do not need to manufacture any outrage, there is smoke emerging from the Trump White House.

I think that's the intent: There's a genuine scandal, but Democrats are trying to turn it into something bigger than it is.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

There's a lot more going on with the soda tax than liberals think they're better than you and can tell you what to drink.

The biggest issue being what was just mentioned, nobody is buying. Business is bad. Nobody is buying lovely drinks anymore but they doing seem to be buying anything else either. Grocery stores and distributors are reporting losses and are starting to cut jobs and having mass layoffs.

There is also a problem where the tax money was going to be used to fund something else (education I think) but if the plan works and people stop buying bad drinks, then there is no tax money to spend.

The tax also puts a larger burden on poor families, while rich ones just continue on as is.

You also have the issue as the poster above me described where the tax is ineffective anyway since you can just cross city lines and get cheaper prices.

Now there's some theory that might indicate the reported losses are exaggerated and the layoffs are more of the soda distributors sending a message to threaten other cities from following suit.

But yeah this issue is more nuanced than "liberal policy bad".

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Capitalism only works if people can afford things, sadly everybody is poor because it filters upward so heavily.

Always love the triple down of CEO bonus raise, raise price of products for reasons, cutting jobs due to money concerns. Surprised that less people can afford product.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Syfe posted:

Surprised that less people can afford product.

No, that's the problem, that lesser people can't afford product. Galtian Supermen can afford whatever they want/need.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I mean, I don't want to be heartless here, and I know how it sounds, but, water exists (least outside of Michigan). I get that the tax does unfairly impact poorer families who drink a lot of soda, but those families can switch to just water if they are buying soda as a food staple rather than just something drunk occasionally.

Soda is a major contributor to diabetes and obesity, so the major purpose of the sin tax is just to get people to drink less soda and more water. That's what a sin tax is for, to influence lifestyle change.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

itskage posted:

But yeah this issue is more nuanced than "liberal policy bad".

You're not wrong, but I'm like 99.9% sure that's the extent of Stiglich's take.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah the thing about sin taxes is that they are... not great at actually providing revenue. I actually ran some numbers for my job and the company had an immediate, noticeable, and (so far) permanent drop in volume of cigarette sales when PA instituted the $1/pack tax last year. Sin taxes like that are definitely effective in stopping, at least when it's that big. Probably like 5-10 cents would not have made many people quit but a dollar sure did.

I mean I think it's still a net revenue gain but trying to both gain revenue and make people stop doing a thing with the same exact tax is uh, foolish.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Stevoblunt posted:

Sin taxes and sales tax is regressive and dumb, but driving miles out of your way to avoid paying a very small tax on soda is equally dumb. That's like the people where I live driving 5 miles out of town to shop at the grocery store that doesn't charge them 5 cents for every bag they use.

The soda tax is pretty steep. 1.5 cents an ouce I think. So a case will be like $2 more each and if you're grabbing a bunch at once for a party or if you grocery shop once a month or something and stock up, then it really adds up.

For the record I don't drink soda or any surgary drinks aside from the occasional syrup filled latte, and I'm in favor of the tax. Especially if you can prove the tax saves money in Healthcare.

But it's certainly raising more complications that most anticipated. A cultural shift is really needed, and yeah if people stop drinking that crap, the yes the distributors will lose money, people will lose jobs. We have to decide as a society if that's more important than our health.

E: Sorry my responses are behind I'm phone posting.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

...the smoke is unlabeled. Is he seriously making the argument that yes, Trump works for Russia, but Democrats being mad about him working for Russia is far worse?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shugojin posted:

Yeah the thing about sin taxes is that they are... not great at actually providing revenue. I actually ran some numbers for my job and the company had an immediate, noticeable, and (so far) permanent drop in volume of cigarette sales when PA instituted the $1/pack tax last year. Sin taxes like that are definitely effective in stopping, at least when it's that big. Probably like 5-10 cents would not have made many people quit but a dollar sure did.

I mean I think it's still a net revenue gain but trying to both gain revenue and make people stop doing a thing with the same exact tax is uh, foolish.

I always saw it as just a way to hedge your bets with an either or win. Either you get additional revenue, or people stop killing themselves doing something. You don't expect both, but either works.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fates End posted:

...the smoke is unlabeled. Is he seriously making the argument that yes, Trump works for Russia, but Democrats being mad about him working for Russia is far worse?
He's admitting a literal scandal is going on but Democrats are I dunno, something. I get what he's saying but he's very bad at visual metaphors.

Also we're not even two months in and they're already whining about the same poo poo they pulled for eight years :ironicat:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fulchrum posted:

I mean, I don't want to be heartless here, and I know how it sounds, but, water exists (least outside of Michigan). I get that the tax does unfairly impact poorer families who drink a lot of soda, but those families can switch to just water if they are buying soda as a food staple rather than just something drunk occasionally.

Soda is a major contributor to diabetes and obesity, so the major purpose of the sin tax is just to get people to drink less soda and more water. That's what a sin tax is for, to influence lifestyle change.

one day we will rise up and destroy your way of life like you so casually condemn us!

SODA FOREVER

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Stevoblunt posted:

A 2 liter bottle at the corner store has gone from a dollar loss leader to three bucks fifty. That's a 250% tax on the magical wake wake juice I need to fuction, so now I shop in a different market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

https://twitter.com/AnnTelnaes/status/838505352010293248?s=09

• Locked thread