Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Oh like your foot's never fallen asleep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
This thread has dialed my expectations back to the point where I'll be happy as long as the sniper rifles still go "poom"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Andromeda hailed by critics and goons alike for having events, arranged in a sequential order.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

mea.exe runs! GOTY!

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

nooooo my thread reading comprehension

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
When can I unfreeze the boogie squad

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'd prefer non-awful animations, but they've never been a strong point of Bioware, and that's not really why I play these games to begin with. I still think this looks really good.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm a little concerned it'll be really glitchy. I noticed a few in the recent videos and if they're sneaking into promotional stuff it's makes me wonder what it's like when they're not putting their best foot forward.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nichael posted:

I'd prefer non-awful animations, but they've never been a strong point of Bioware, and that's not really why I play these games to begin with. I still think this looks really good.

Femshep's run has always looked dumb and it never got in the way of me liking the game

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't plan to run anywhere

Biotic charge all day everyday

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm a little concerned it'll be really glitchy. I noticed a few in the recent videos and if they're sneaking into promotional stuff it's makes me wonder what it's like when they're not putting their best foot forward.

Was that on purpose?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Femshep's run has always looked dumb and it never got in the way of me liking the game
I think the worst animations in Bioware games have always been some of the recycled set they use during conversations.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It might be but again, I really doubt it'll impact my enjoyment of the final product much.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It was a joke about how people are defending Ryder's air punch and the goofy duck lips and stuff by saying that if you slow things down of course it will look weird, but in full motion it looks fine

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Look at the quality of the animation in one of my favorite games ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18j3RaDcElM&t=48s

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That was made almost 13 years ago though.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Typical response to that gif: "It's slowed down"

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Kavak posted:

At the same time as half-life 2, which had pretty good animation.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
I could just be misremembering because it's been a while, but having just caught up on the details of this game coming out and some of the media out for it pre-release, I can't help but be struck with this notion that the faces and characters (at least the humans) look a little strange in this game compared to the previous ME games.

A bit cartoony? Some of the faces look kind of fat or puffy to me. Not sure what it is, but even the new Asari person in your squad looks like she's bloated. I'm not finding any of these aliens to be terribly fuckable, what gives Bioware?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It almost looks like they went for an exaggerated facial style rather than ultrarealistic. I'm not super enthused about it but I'm interested in how I'll feel about it once I spend 30+ hours with it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Kavak posted:

It was made with Source and it took years for the rest of the industry to catch up with HL2's animations.

Though it should also be pointed out that the conversation animations in Bloodlines are some of the best ever made

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I can't believe no one's posted this screencap yet:

Caption contest time

"T'Perro didn't expect Peebee to outright ask Samurai Ryder if he wanted to gently caress her."

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

It almost looks like they went for an exaggerated facial style rather than ultrarealistic. I'm not super enthused about it but I'm interested in how I'll feel about it once I spend 30+ hours with it.

Yeah, for whatever measure of success they had, it seemed the previous ME games were trying to make humans look like realistic human beings.

ME:A looks like they're going a little more for what computer animated movies look like these days. Something about Male Ryder especially says "off-brand Dreamworks character"

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Typical response to that gif: "It's slowed down"

I too agree that it looks like the andromeda characters have downs

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Is anyone else thinking of naming sisRyder Winona?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Naming bro Top

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

AwkwardKnob posted:

I could just be misremembering because it's been a while, but having just caught up on the details of this game coming out and some of the media out for it pre-release, I can't help but be struck with this notion that the faces and characters (at least the humans) look a little strange in this game compared to the previous ME games.

A bit cartoony? Some of the faces look kind of fat or puffy to me. Not sure what it is, but even the new Asari person in your squad looks like she's bloated. I'm not finding any of these aliens to be terribly fuckable, what gives Bioware?
Sounds like you're not drunk enough.

I think there are some rose-tinted glasses at work for older Bioware games. They had their share of plastic faces back then, too.

One thing I'm noticing looking through that most recent video: Some faces have a texture applied to them, and others don't. That probably affects our perception.

There's also just... something odd about walking animations. I can't put my finger on it, but some of them look strange.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I'm the sparking plant.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

FronzelNeekburm posted:

One thing I'm noticing looking through that most recent video: Some faces have a texture applied to them, and others don't. That probably affects our perception.

That lady clearly had some work done. It's not polite to mention it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DancingShade posted:

I'm the sparking plant.

I'm the sparking console behind the plant.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

How the hell did the ship manage to hit The Scourge without anyone seeing it was gonna happen? don't these ships have windows :psyduck:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

King Bahamut posted:

This thread has dialed my expectations back to the point where I'll be happy as long as the sniper rifles still go "pfoot"

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

frajaq posted:

How the hell did the ship manage to hit The Scourge without anyone seeing it was gonna happen? don't these ships have windows :psyduck:

There's a lot of dumb poo poo about the premise here so just play the thing.

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008

frajaq posted:

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. It's like the pilot decided to just stop watching the road because you know there's nothing like astroids or floating space debris they might run into.

I'm going to play the poo poo out of this game but it still bothers me!

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Im trying to keep my expectations low but It doesn't help that I'm playing Horizon right now and will likely only finish it just before Andromeda's release.

Didn't expect that game to be good and was very surprised.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Windows are structural weaknesses.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

frajaq posted:

Humans are lovely drivers.

This game is very accurate.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

frajaq posted:

I expected some throwaway line like "Whatever it is it doesn't register on our sensors."

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

frajaq posted:

They couldn't see it because it was made of dark matter. :haw:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it's hard to slow down in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

600 years on autopilot makes you complacent, and besides, the pilot hadn't finished his coffee.