Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

how long is the iPhone se sticking around for?

forever, hopefully as it's the One True Form Factor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
could be a touch bigger

dont like the curvedness of the 6/7 sides tho

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
legend has it that when apple one day remove the stebephone stebe himself shall return to retake his throne and usher in a new age of phones you can use with one hand

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Syncopated posted:

legend has it that when apple one day remove the stebephone stebe himself shall return to retake his throne and usher in a new age of phones you can use with one hand

:pray:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Syncopated posted:

pbuh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I would buy a iPhone se refresh in a heartbeat

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
every time someone lusts after the iphone se tim increases the size of the regular iphone by a fraction of an inch

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

I would buy a iPhone se refresh in a heartbeat

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i probably wouldn't use an iphone se refresh even if it were real and i had one for free

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i want to buy a small ups -- is there a yospos-recommended brand?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

prefect posted:

just buy an apc

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

apc back-ups stuff is good as hell

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
thanks for the recommendations :tipshat:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
If it's low duty just buy a Tripp-Lite because you aren't going to gain anything useful out of the more expensive APC stuff.

They all have replaceable batteries unless you buy something ultra ultra cheap.

At low $$$ it's all the same poo poo, but if you want something like PowerChute then I'd go APC.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 9, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

If it's low duty just buy a Tripp-Lite because you aren't going to gain anything useful out of the more expensive APC stuff.

They all have replaceable batteries unless you buy something ultra ultra cheap.

At low $$$ it's all the same poo poo, but if you want something like PowerChute then I'd go APC.

i'm going to be moving my computer into a room where there's a light switch that controls the power outlet, so i just need to make sure i don't accidentally ruin everything

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

prefect posted:

i'm going to be moving my computer into a room where there's a light switch that controls the power outlet, so i just need to make sure i don't accidentally ruin everything

the kitchen?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

rewiring the switch is free

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hifi posted:

rewiring the switch is free

i don't own this house, and i'm not asking the landlord to make electrical changes :)

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

prefect posted:

Just get a $50 dollar whatever UPS then if that's all it's for, the brand doesn't matter at all. gently caress, get Cyberpower for all it will matter.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Just get a $50 dollar whatever UPS then if that's all it's for, the brand doesn't matter at all. gently caress, get Cyberpower for all it will matter.

is cyberpower particularly lovely? that's what the wirecutter recommended

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

It's fine, just cheaper/lower quality. Again, it's perfectly fine for your use case.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

It's fine, just cheaper/lower quality. Again, it's perfectly fine for your use case.

:thumbsup:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

prefect posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a code violation in any state or country

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

spankmeister posted:

several of the outlets are switch-controlled in this house/apartment :shrug:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

it is not a code violation to have a power outlet controlled by a switch

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lampey posted:

it is not a code violation to have a power outlet controlled by a switch
actual switches like

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

lol

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

prefect posted:

go to the hardware store and get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Light-Switch...er+switch+cover

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

prefect posted:

i have this thing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LEFYISA and its pretty good but i think i should have got this one instead: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00429N19W

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

AAB posted:

go to the hardware store and get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Light-Switch...er+switch+cover

or, you know...tape

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

prefect posted:

yeah they're fine. all ups have a limited service life anyways so what do you get for the increased cost of apc's brand name?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spankmeister posted:

why would it be a code violation for a switch to control an outlet. that doesn't make any sense. how the gently caress do you think lightswitches are supposed to work.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fishmech posted:

why would it be a code violation for a switch to control an outlet. that doesn't make any sense. how the gently caress do you think lightswitches are supposed to work.
european lightswitches have appropriate, not the maximal possible, electrical tolerance

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cinci zoo sniper posted:

european lightswitches have appropriate, not the maximal possible, electrical tolerance

you're not making any sense. it's just a light switch, it goes off, and it goes on. where does "electrical tolerance" come into that.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
apc has really cheaped out on their "consumer" stuff in the last few years. i wouldn't spend extra to get an apc ups anymore.

for your home do spend extra to get apc surge protectors though.

apc-branded surge protectors "fail fail open" so your poo poo turns off. most other reputable companies "fail closed," and you're expected to notice a little blinking light or something to indicate that your poo poo is no longer protected

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how badly can europeans gently caress up a light switch, lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fishmech posted:

you're not making any sense. it's just a light switch, it goes off, and it goes on. where does "electrical tolerance" come into that.
in fire safety. i asked my dad, who is a certified electrician, about this, and he told me that in latvia use of a generic light switch for domestic outlet or otherwise connected electrical equipment power access control is a violation of electrical fire safety code

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cinci zoo sniper posted:

in fire safety. i asked my dad, who is a certified electrician, about this, and he told me that in latvia use of a generic light switch for domestic outlet or otherwise connected electrical equipment power access control is a violation of electrical fire safety code

that makes no sense. how could you possibly wire up a light switch so that it safely switches like 300 watts of a lighting fixture but does not safely switch a 100 watt tv or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

what do they do for garbage disposals in latvia