Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Looks like fake news to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

happyhippy posted:

Another thing we all have, we talk faster than most other regions in the UK.
I live in the south now, and have to consciously slow down for other english main language speakers.

I'm northern and I work in a call centre so I speak to people from all over. But as soon as I go down to London it feels like nobody can understand me - I had a seriously hard time ordering any fast food at all for example. In place after place they'd just look at me baffled.

People in the south are strange aliens who should be liquidated.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
What date is May expected to lock in Brexit with article 50?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Taear posted:

I'm northern and I work in a call centre so I speak to people from all over. But as soon as I go down to London it feels like nobody can understand me - I had a seriously hard time ordering any fast food at all for example. In place after place they'd just look at me baffled.

I always laugh when they put subtitles on people like noel gallagher on us television.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Taear posted:

People in the south are strange aliens who should be liquidated.

Make Ober God-King of the South

I'm sure everyone will understand

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Labour selectorate polling:

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/838335150744272896

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/838337271820664834

https://twitter.com/NCPoliticsUK/status/838339671839096836

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Tony blairs speech. Of course it was.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Leaving aside CORBYN BAD/CORBYN GOOD for a moment... who the flying gently caress likes Chuka Umunna should be Labour leader? I mean even if you were in absolute lock-step with him ideologically (in which case you shouldn't even be in the Labour Party but that's another argument) the man has the same level of personal charisma as Michael Gove naked and skipping. He makes Ed Milliband look like Elvis.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it's just that he has one of the highest name recognitions out of the non-Corbyn candidates?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
That polls unreliable because it doesn't include the real future of the labour party, likeable liz kendal

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jippa posted:

I always laugh when they put subtitles on people like noel gallagher on us television.

I've got a really mild northern accent as it is, nobody can place me. I never have problems abroad getting people to understand me.
Actually that's slightly wrong. Americans have a problem. I can go to Iceland and people are fine but as soon as I'm in London or America everyone's going "What???"

In other news Arlene stays on. It's not too surprising but christ it's strange how the NI election is barely reported anywhere.
That said most people probably don't realise NI is even the same country as the rest of us.

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 5, 2017

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Sorry for my only contributions to the thread being tweets but occasionally something comes along that, well

https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/837326000367206401

and this

https://twitter.com/SophyRidgeSky/status/838340320052002816

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 5, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Sorry for my only contributions to the thread being tweets but occasionally something comes along that, well

and this

Britain can't sink soon enough :stonklol:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I'm Joseph Georbles

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

and this

Uhhh 'never been caught ' seems super bad phrasing :stonk:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Yes, let's believe the daily mail if it helps us attack new Labour

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...py_to_clipboard

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Who would've thought that the host of a show that repeatedly and consistently gives credence to transmisogyny would end up being a transmisogynist.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Isn't it a leading question to ask who was responsible for the loss and then include options like a speech, the weather, and the media?

EDIT: Also it's a shame that people like Rebecca Long-Bailey aren't higher up in the polls. The fact that John McDonnell polls relatively high shows that people are willing to vote for a left-wing candidate. Although any talk of a possible Corbyn replacement is for nought while the rules and the PLP remain the same. Changing one or both of those should probably be Corbyn's priority at the moment.

RLB was good on Peston today, although Ed Balls was there again to knife Corbyn. It looks like the leaks/attack articles from Labour MPs are ramping up again, so maybe we are on track for a second coup attempt.

jabby fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 5, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TinTower posted:

Who would've thought that the host of a show that repeatedly and consistently gives credence to transmisogyny would end up being a transmisogynist.

who is this/what show?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

jabby posted:

Isn't it a leading question to ask who was responsible for the loss and then include options like a speech, the weather, and the media?

Can't ask people who! They might think somone is responsible! They might think it's the dear leader!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Baron Corbyn posted:

who is this/what show?

Woman's Hour. Goes out weekdaily on Radio 4.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

TinTower posted:

seperate but solidarity is a laughable concept

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Yes, let's believe the daily mail if it helps us attack new Labour

Interesting that you consider that story an attack on New Labour, because I certainly didn't say that, and neither did anyone else, and is worryingly indicative of the cult of personality that's grown up around noted war criminal Tony Blair.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I wonder if we will/have reached a point where there'll be a front page of a newspaper making a bombshell claim and the front page of another newspaper being a rebuttal of that claim on the same day?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Daily Mash posted:

THE Daily Mail in an alternate universe where Hitler won the war is absolutely identical, it has been confirmed.

Scientists created a window into another dimension to view the newspaper, in the hope of gaining insight into how history had developed differently, but instead it was just the Daily Mail.

Professor Helen Archer said: “At first we were appalled by the nightmarish world of deep-seated paranoia, hatred of everyone and unwavering faith in war as the solution to everything, then we realised how familiar it seemed.

“Page for page, comma for comma, not a single difference. The British monarchy are likely a puppet regime installed as a smokescreen for Nazi despots, but you’d never know it from the Mail.

“One researcher believed he’d detected a sinister undercurrent of Aryan supremacy in the depiction of the Kardashians, but it turned out he’d been looking at the one from our universe by mistake.

“We’re working on a new theory which posits that the single constant in an infinity of parallel universes is that the Daily Mail is just as vile in all of them.”

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TinTower posted:

Woman's Hour. Goes out weekdaily on Radio 4.

Who cares what she says? Pissflaps has more coverage than radio 4 does.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Interesting that you consider that story an attack on New Labour, because I certainly didn't say that, and neither did anyone else, and is worryingly indicative of the cult of personality that's grown up around noted war criminal Tony Blair.

Nice deflection. So why did you quote the Mail then? Is it just your usual news source? Why do you think the Mail is frontpaging made up stuff about Blair? Just innocently informing the public?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 5, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

hakimashou posted:

Can't ask people who! They might think somone is responsible! They might think it's the dear leader!

Even getting away from Corbyn, it's a pretty poorly worded poll all around. For example:

"Who do you think is most responsible for losing Copeland? (tick all that apply)"

How can more than one thing be most responsible?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

jabby posted:

Even getting away from Corbyn, it's a pretty poorly worded poll all around. For example:

"Who do you think is most responsible for losing Copeland? (tick all that apply)"

How can more than one thing be most responsible?

Further proof that British people couldn't have dealt with a PR electoral system.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It was definitely the people campaigning in Stoke. They know what they did!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Philip Hammond vows UK will fight back if it gets bad Brexit deal

So, what's harder than 'hard brexit'. I think we need a word for this coming clusterfuck.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I believe they are terming it "Nuclear Brexit".

Which is to say, May makes unreasonable, impossible demands to EU, at which they'll go "Lol no, it's all or nothing, gently caress off", at which point she'll poo poo her pants in a tantrum, and ask Hammond to plunge us into a glorious Tory tax haven in a desperate bid to stop a potential hemorrhage of businesses relocating to the continent.

Of course, we're probably going to be absolutely hosed if this happens.

Unless Atlantis rises from the waves, and exculsively wants to invest in our great British industries of jam and cakes, or whatever bollocks Boris Johnson was trying to peddle.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 5, 2017

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Diamond Brexit?

Graphene Brexit?

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Brexit Maximus?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

I believe they are terming it "Nuclear Brexit".

Which is to say, May makes unreasonable, impossible demands to EU, at which they'll go "Lol no, it's all or nothing, gently caress off", at which point she'll poo poo her pants in a tantrum, and ask Hammond to plunge us into a glorious Tory tax haven in a desperate bid to stop a potential hemorrhage of businesses relocating to the continent.

Of course, we're probably going to be absolutely hosed if this happens.

Unless Atlantis rises from the waves, and exculsively wants to invest in our great British industries of jam and cakes, or whatever bollocks Boris Johnson was trying to peddle.

I guess the accelerationists win in the end? Because there's no way any prior Tory plans for BRITANE survive this scenario. Everyone is hosed. Some will be able to bear it better of course, but no one will be able to have any long term plans. If it really is as bad as everyone in this thread says it will be then the Tories are hosed. Either by people finally getting fed up with their poo poo (good result) or their base fracturing into ever more fascist splinters (bad result). That and the Union is finished.

Pissflaps posted:

Tony blairs speech. Of course it was.

It's a poll. Polls don't lie. Eat the poll you hungry piece of poo poo.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 5, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Regarde Aduck posted:

I guess the accelerationists win in the end? Because there's no way any prior Tory plans for BRITANE survive this scenario. Everyone is hosed. Some will be able to bear it better of course, but no one will be able to have any long term plans. If it really is as bad as everyone in this thread says it will be then the Tories are hosed. Either by people finally getting fed up with their poo poo (good result) or their base fracturing into ever more fascist splinters (bad result). That and the Union is finished.

Nah, Tories are not hosed, probably just delayed. May I direct your attention to Argentina: neoliberalism literally destroys country, then 15 years later, country votes for neoliberalism again. Even some members of my family wanted to vote for the neoliberal candidate and I was like "guys guys, wait, don't you remember the hell we all went through thanks to those policies? are you loving with me?"

People are really, really loving stupid and vote emotionally.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pochoclo posted:

People are really, really loving stupid and vote emotionally.

Words to live by.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

No, they will blame the foreigners for being unreasonable and forcing them into this, and go 'you don't change horses in mid stream'. Meanwhile the left will infight like gently caress over some triviality.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Fangz posted:

Philip Hammond vows UK will fight back if it gets bad Brexit deal

So, what's harder than 'hard brexit'. I think we need a word for this coming clusterfuck.

There's been a trend lately of really really defensive statements and front pages written in the style of a small animal that puffs itself up to look like a threat. Stuff like BRITAIN WARNS EU: DON'T YOU DARE!! and ministers saying 'oi EU, we can totally have you, right everyone!?' The Leave side really aren't sounding confident at all, getting ahead of the story that's going to develop

Funny, with britane so strong and the EU needing us so much you wouldn't think it would be possible for them to push us around in negotiations. Unless.... 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The best part is that not only is Hammond not investing in the NHS and social care, he's literally putting money aside to tide the UK over during the totally good brexit process that cannot fail. That bus just gets more and more :ironicat:

• Locked thread