Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pochoclo posted:

So after some depressing myself in the UKMT I entered Nederpol because I was thinking "hey maybe Amsterdam will be a choice after UK collapses", and I see they're going to elect some idiot anti-immigration xenophobe, huh.
No they aren't lol wise up

The Dutch system relies on coalitions and people will erect a cordon sanitaire around Wilders. Rutte will very probably be PM again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Pochoclo posted:

So after some depressing myself in the UKMT I entered Nederpol because I was thinking "hey maybe Amsterdam will be a choice after UK collapses", and I see they're going to elect some idiot anti-immigration xenophobe, huh.

Is there ANY country in the EU left with reasonable politics or is everyone tanking hard to the right?

Germany might be electing a left-wing government this year and even if Merkel stays that's much more to the center than a lot of other places.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

Is there ANY country in the EU left with reasonable politics or is everyone tanking hard to the right?

There's some resistance here and there but the general trend is the same in all of the northern economies.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Dawncloack posted:

It's disgusting but it's also the clearest example of the EU being a tool of class war for shitwolf schäuble.

ftfy

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pochoclo posted:

Not tanking hard to the right is forbidden by treaties, so...

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pochoclo posted:

Try Greece or Portugal

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Try Greece or Portugal

I'm sure Greece is going to be very non-right after the successful dismantling of the alt-left by Schauble. Truly a golden dawn.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Pochoclo posted:

Don't kid yourself, there weren't any reasonable or good politics anywhere in the EU to start with. I'm afraid we're all going to eat massive amounts of poo poo, not today, maybe not tomorrow but in the long run we're all hosed.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/YanniKouts/status/838454660092555268

:unsmigghh:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The line between right and far-right are starting to get a bit blurred isn't it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ardennes posted:

The line between right and far-right are starting to get a bit blurred isn't it.

Nah, it's just that the far-right is now called "the right" and the right is now called "the left".

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/lesRepublicains/status/838471220085542915

"Nobody has the power to prevent me from being a candidate, nobody has the power to make me withdraw my candidacy."

This train has no brakes!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/franceinfo/status/838471329695346688

Fillon apparently claimed that TV news channels reported that his wife committed suicide on Wednesday morning. As you might guess from the fact that French Twitter (and this thread) didn't blow up at the time, that's not true.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Macron must have spent most of this evening rubbing his hands with glee.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
fake news

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

fake news

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Pochoclo posted:

Been electing him for 11 years now, we've also been electing fundamentalist Christians who think the bible is the only good basis for laws for 99 years (and what is up with women getting to vote?). Doesn't matter when you have 10+ parties in parliament. Geert Wilders will never be prime minister.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Fillon also took the time at the rally to assure everyone that he wasn't autistic according to the BBC.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jesus, why all pro-kremlin candidates use the same kind of poo poo anti-democratic anti-media anti-justice propaganda i wonder?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Fillon also took the time at the rally to assure everyone that he wasn't autistic according to the BBC.

He's such a goon.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

He didn't do it only at the rally he did it 3 times at a tv interview on public tv, drove french twitter insane. Also when asked where they read the "his wife committed suicide" all his supporters refuse to answer. It's a 100% guaranteed political suicide/trump emulation attempt if you ask me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwedrTAsG-E

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Why is he telling people he isn't autistic anyway? Was that ever suggested before he started bringing it up?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

Why is he telling people he isn't autistic anyway? Was that ever suggested before he started bringing it up?
It's like some people* must show him mean tweeters or some poo poo. Probably an intense autistic screeching meme.

*who i wonder?

If you wonder the reason those people support fillon over even the rest of his party, it's his open anti-gay(well at least not progay) policies. Le Pen said she wasn't going to stop gay marriage and that their fight was obsolete so they are taking over the non-far right for once. It may cause some internal fight inside the fn between the aunt and the niece.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 6, 2017

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Juppé has explicitly announced that he will not step in as a replacement candidate if Fillon withdraws, so I guess either Fillon now fights it out to the bitter end or they parachute in Baroin and hope for the best.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

LemonDrizzle posted:

Juppé has explicitly announced that he will not step in as a replacement candidate if Fillon withdraws, so I guess either Fillon now fights it out to the bitter end or they parachute in Baroin and hope for the best.
Lot of his comments on the center right and Fillon's supporters kinda made it sounds like it would happen that way, yeah. He said he wouldn't participate without Fillon's agreement, he wouldn't be better than fillon if he did so. Sarkozy may use it as an excuse to come back. Barouin, Wauqiuez or another quadra would be more likely but it's Sarkozy.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 6, 2017

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/franceinfo/status/838692105849618433

They're really rallying up behind Baroin, which I find super baffling because the one thing that would be worse for the right than sitting there watching as Fillon's support slowly dwindles away as it becomes clearer and clearer the guy is a crook would be to put Baroin out there, one because that invalidates the primary, two because Baroin is a placeholder that basically means nothing to no one. It would basically be an open invitation for Macron and Le Pen to come and take their voters. Or who knows? Maybe it demoralizes the right's electorate entirely and Hamon could make something happen.

Going forward with Fillon is a bad idea, but every other idea is worse now that Juppé's out.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Nicolas reviens

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kassad posted:

He's such a goon.

hashtag i'mwithhim

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Nicolas reviens

Si tu reviens, j'annule tout !

orange sky
May 7, 2007

OK I keep telling everyone to come to Portugal but I should stop - Gentrification in Lisbon is going loving insane. gently caress golden visas. I've seen small 1 bedroom apartments for €375k.

Guys, please don't come here!

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

orange sky posted:

OK I keep telling everyone to come to Portugal but I should stop - Gentrification in Lisbon is going loving insane. gently caress golden visas. I've seen small 1 bedroom apartments for €375k.

They did say the Euro was going to lead to price convergences. Now you too can experience the hot hot property markets of cities in Northern Europe, right from the comfort of your couch.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Hambilderberglar posted:

They did say the Euro was going to lead to price convergences. Now you too can experience the hot hot property markets of cities in Northern Europe, right from the comfort of your couch.

It's almost like deregulating the construction business (less NIMBYism, less "we have to protect this rare animal", less corruption) would not only relax the situation in the housing market, but also provide jobs for low qualified workers.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

orange sky posted:

How much does it rent for a month, though? Until it reaches a bargain 1500eur/month for a 1bed in an ok area you haven't really experienced the joys of Northern Europe.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

It's almost like deregulating the construction business (less NIMBYism, less "we have to protect this rare animal", less corruption) would not only relax the situation in the housing market, but also provide jobs for low qualified workers.
Please, explain how any one of these are the most pressing problems standing in the way of cheaper construction, and how repealing them would be a meaningful step on the way to more affordable housing.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

orange sky posted:

It's those loving hostels and airbnb poo poo. They're everywhere, and is probably going to get worse after Porto being winning "Best tourism city 2016" poo poo award and the Lisbon Ghandi getting his feelings hurt. More airports! More Hotels! More city taxes! Soon you'll go to easyjet and you'll just see Lisbon as an hotel, not an actual destination.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Hambilderberglar posted:

Please, explain how any one of these are the most pressing problems standing in the way of cheaper construction, and how repealing them would be a meaningful step on the way to more affordable housing.

Well, it's pretty easy. At it's core the construction of housing is an investment, which means the lowered cost, through less expensive planning processes, and the availability of more construction space, through the reduction of red tape, will result in more housing being constructed. At some point it will be more profitable to build cheap housing (unless renter protection is too strong, in which case that needs to be reformed too) than expensive housing, simply through the law of supply and demand, which will result in more affordable housing overall, unless your assumption is that cheap housing is always unprofitable because of labor and material cost, but I view this assumption as highly unlikely, given that property prices outside the major urban centers are much lower.

The current interest rate climate would only reinforce this development, so it would probably be important to have some safeguard, as the market otherwise would be likely to overheat/create a bubble again.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

GaussianCopula posted:

There are very few low qualified workers on a building site. The trades have a pretty long training period including apprenticeships. Like these people might usually be working class but they aren't unqualified by any means.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Blut posted:

How much does it rent for a month, though? Until it reaches a bargain 1500eur/month for a 1bed in an ok area you haven't really experienced the joys of Northern Europe.

Depends on the quality of the appartment. A lovely one bedroom in the old parts of the city or in an old building might still go for around 400 - 500 euros. But then you have this bullshit:

https://www.idealista.pt/imovel/28110495/

So yeah, we're not there yet, but I don't think it's really comparable when we have a 540€ minimum wage.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

ElNarez posted:

They're really rallying up behind Baroin, which I find super baffling because the one thing that would be worse for the right than sitting there watching as Fillon's support slowly dwindles away as it becomes clearer and clearer the guy is a crook would be to put Baroin out there, one because that invalidates the primary, two because Baroin is a placeholder that basically means nothing to no one. It would basically be an open invitation for Macron and Le Pen to come and take their voters. Or who knows? Maybe it demoralizes the right's electorate entirely and Hamon could make something happen.
It's loving insane and indicative of how gently caress up the world currently is, the candidates at the US election were grandma Hillary and grandpa Trump and France got all the 40s or younger candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Electronico6 posted:

It's those loving hostels and airbnb poo poo. They're everywhere, and is probably going to get worse after Porto being winning "Best tourism city 2016" poo poo award and the Lisbon Ghandi getting his feelings hurt. More airports! More Hotels! More city taxes! Soon you'll go to easyjet and you'll just see Lisbon as an hotel, not an actual destination.
It's probably mostly the non-EU rich being told "you can get citizenship if you buy 500,000E of housing stock", which is cheaper than the alternatives of creating and sustaining 10 jobs in an economy in recession or investing a million in capital.