Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Cartoon Man posted:

Just installed the Goon reccomended glass shield:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N3ASPNV/

Seriously, this should be a mandatory purchase for all Switch owners. No longer worried about dock scratching.

Does it look OK on the screen? I hate protectors, but this dock issue has me paranoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Boy Zelda is easier if you follow the critical path. I wandered for 5-10 hours then went to where I was supposed to and got some stuff that would have been really nice to have the whole time.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Bombadilillo posted:

Boy Zelda is easier if you follow the critical path. I wandered for 5-10 hours then went to where I was supposed to and got some stuff that would have been really nice to have the whole time.

I was watching a stream earlier and the guy didn't get very far before he started getting wrecked fairly regularly, he had to head out to find armour that was a bit out of the way.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

squidgee posted:

Does it look OK on the screen? I hate protectors, but this dock issue has me paranoid.

Just like a cell phone, you'll never know it's there.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

Bombadilillo posted:

By "critical path", do you mean the main quests? I've been trying to follow the main quests and I'm still getting destroyed left and right. Zelda hard :(

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So since Zelda only lets you have one save (I guess) does it save on the system or the cart?

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Cartoon Man posted:

Just like a cell phone, you'll never know it's there.

How was the installation? I loving hate installing screen protectors with a passion

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MarcusSA posted:

So since Zelda only lets you have one save (I guess) does it save on the system or the cart?

You can have more saves, just start it with a different account. Saves are stored on the switch.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Anyone know where I can get that in Europe? The seller on amazon won't ship to Finland, alternatively if there are other good alternative protectors that'd be great too.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

All saved game data goes to the 32G system memory at this time regardless of cart or digital game or whether you have an SD card installed. All you can do is delete it when it's full up...

It is expected Nintendo will eventually patch this issue and let you copy data around. Maybe even some sort of cloud solution when their subscription model comes out. Of course this is Nintendo we are talking about...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Linx posted:

How was the installation? I loving hate installing screen protectors with a passion

It's not hard but you can gently caress it up. Luckily the product I linked sends you two shields.

You can also take your system and protector to Best Buy and the geek squad will do it for 10 bucks I think.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

organburner posted:

Anyone know where I can get that in Europe? The seller on amazon won't ship to Finland, alternatively if there are other good alternative protectors that'd be great too.

I was looking at this one which looks identical. I'm in the UK though so I can't attest to shipping for the rest of Europe

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

You can also take your system and protector to Best Buy and the geek squad will do it for 10 bucks I think.

That's a good tip!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Can anyone with the Pro Controller confirm that it works natively in OSX? Specifically I'm looking to use it with OpenEmu. It would be great if it worked with zero setup like the Dualshock 4.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Linx posted:

That's actually not bad.

Ugh, I'm going to have to put a screen protector on my Switch. Why, Nintendo. :negative:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

BabyRyoga posted:

DQ heroes 1 is kinda like whatever. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

2 however, is much better. 8 or 8.5

How is "whatever" 7 out of 10 and "much better" a 1-point difference?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Linx posted:

I was looking at this one which looks identical. I'm in the UK though so I can't attest to shipping for the rest of Europe

Cheers, they're gonna ship, picking up a case as well so I can actually transport the thing.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Personally I still don't really understand how people are scratching the screen in the dock. Is the little protector thing in there too hard/coarse?

And I have only seen the one screenshot so far, and reports of minor scratches easily buffed.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Drunk Tomato posted:

Personally I still don't really understand how people are scratching the screen in the dock. Is the little protector thing in there too hard/coarse?

And I have only seen the one screenshot so far, and reports of minor scratches easily buffed.

Most of the rail is plastic until the rubber bumpers at the bottom. Not the greatest design.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Most of the rail is plastic until the rubber bumpers at the bottom. Not the greatest design.

I wonder if someone will come up with a lifehack for that, maybe apply felt or something to the edges of the dock?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Spellman posted:

I wonder if someone will come up with a lifehack for that, maybe apply felt or something to the edges of the dock?

I'm telling you all, just get this. It's the pro solution.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

pliable posted:

By "critical path", do you mean the main quests? I've been trying to follow the main quests and I'm still getting destroyed left and right. Zelda hard :(

Yeah. I went to the oceanand fought stuff WAY above my level. Some shrines combat challanges that I literally could only chip damage the enemies with the most exotic weapons I had.

I now suspect its literally impossible to "race to the end game" because your weapons won't hurt things and will break instantly. I look forward to speed runs for this that will have to gather enough items to beat the game. Kind of like the 15 minute morowind runs.

But thats all speculation because in terrified of spoilering myself because thus game is all about what's around the next corner.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 5, 2017

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Is there a way to wake the switch up from sleep with the Pro Controller connected wirelessly?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Is there a way to wake the switch up from sleep with the Pro Controller connected wirelessly?

Hit the home button.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Hit the home button.

This did not seem to work. I'll give it another shot

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

A Proper Uppercut posted:

This did not seem to work. I'll give it another shot

I had to press it three times but then it rumbled and turned on my TV and three A presses later I'm back where I was in Zelda. Hell yeah.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Drunk Tomato posted:

Apparently some people's docks are "bent", which probably isn't really helping anything.
Saw this while browsing so not mine, I don't have one.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bloodplay it again posted:

I had to press it three times but then it rumbled and turned on my TV and three A presses later I'm back where I was in Zelda. Hell yeah.

Look at the lights on the bottom. If they are flashing back and forth its searching for system. One solid light its connected. Hit any button if it system didnt show up on tv.

1 home press should bring up the press 3x screen (or bypass it if you started it with the same controller you slept it)

note snipperclips (and I assume other joycon only games) cuts of pro to the extent that it cant even connect to the system during it. You can't use the pro to go to the menu or sleep the system. Weird. Is switch limited to 4 controllers at once? you'd think I could be controller 5 to do menu work.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 5, 2017

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm telling you all, just get this. It's the pro solution.

I want to but I can't seem to get it in Canada

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Cartoon Man posted:

All saved game data goes to the 32G system memory at this time regardless of cart or digital game or whether you have an SD card installed. All you can do is delete it when it's full up...

It is expected Nintendo will eventually patch this issue and let you copy data around. Maybe even some sort of cloud solution when their subscription model comes out. Of course this is Nintendo we are talking about...

not 100% true. i have all my saves and screenshots on my sd card.

edit: i did double check too, putting the sd card into my pc and i have a nintendo folder with "album" "contents" and "save" all my screenshots are jpgs in the album and my save folder has two files of various sizes. while theres no date modified i assume the lower size file is my brothers from the start of the game and the larger one is mine ive been playing so far.

my switch lists no save data on my system at all. nothing is getting used by the system memory.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 5, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Now that I made mutiple accounts for region eshopping. I have to select a profile every time I open any game. It there a way to default this? Its just another button press but still.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

edit: i did double check too, putting the sd card into my pc and i have a nintendo folder with "album" "contents" and "save" all my screenshots are jpgs in the album and my save folder has two files of various sizes. while theres no date modified i assume the lower size file is my brothers from the start of the game and the larger one is mine ive been playing so far.

my switch lists no save data on my system at all. nothing is getting used by the system memory.

Nintendo says otherwise which is weird. It's entirely possible that those save files are bound to the console and can't be used on another one: I think that's how 3ds saves work.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Tender Bender posted:

Nintendo says otherwise which is weird. It's entirely possible that those save files are bound to the console and can't be used on another one: I think that's how 3ds saves work.

lol thats loving weird. could be the bound thing yeah. i did put my sd card in before i turned the switch on first time tho so maybe it just defaulted everything to that?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

I don't believe it's the 3DS saves that are bound to a console. Rather, it's how the 3DS generally protects itself from just letting people pirate games by copying files from one SD card to another that ultimately works to that effect.

On a homebrew'd 3DS, you can use tools to copy and paste save files from others games into your own without issue. Might be a thing that the app removes the old ownership and gives it to you but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Apparently some people's docks are "bent", which probably isn't really helping anything.
Saw this while browsing so not mine, I don't have one.

That is one cheaply made hunk of plastic bullshit

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mr Phillby posted:

The unfortunate reality is that Nintendo can package and sell their ROMs however they want and if you bought something on an older console they don't have to offer you a free copy or even a discount should they re-release it on switch. Sony's Crossbuy feature is a cool and good thing, but is the exception rather than the rule and even on Sony systems not every multi platform title supports it because if people will pay for something twice why wouldn't you sell them separately?

For those who already own the games Nintendo's VC only offers you the convenience of being able to play them on newer hardware, if that cost is too high then either run the game on the old hardware or emulate it yourself.

Everyone understands that is the current situation and that Nintendo is not legally required to do otherwise. We're discussing whether that is an acceptable user friendly approach in 2017. Many people would prefer for the Virtual Console to function like most other digital stores, where you are buying the product on your account and can use it on devices you own, as opposed to buying the product for a Wii U Virtual Console or a Switch Virtual Console, instead there would be just... The Virtual Console. Think iTunes, Steam, etc. I got a new phone and didn't have to rebuy any apps I had paid for. I like that because it's better for me. I understand it makes the company less money off of me. I'm not saying they are obliged to do otherwise. I also don't care what Sony does because I'm not interested in a console war.

Some people argue it makes good business sense to make the virtual console universal so it's a selling point for the console. A Switch purchase has more value to me if I am also buying the ability to play my digital copies of Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Super Metroid, etc on it, without spending more. The argument is you move more systems faster that way, which ultimately makes you more money through hardware and software sales. The flipside is that Nintendo makes less money reselling the same Virtual Console games for the third or fourth time. Of course arguing business sucks because we're all loving idiots, but Nintendo managed to take the success off the Wii and from there ran themselves right out of the home console market so I think we can do some armchair discussion of their business practices.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 5, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Whatever it is was probably coded by a third grader so they could rush this thing to production.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

Does anyone know if there is an option to change this? Although I guess it might be better to have them on the SD card if the system goes tits up.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Any case recommendation? The kne I ordered wont be ready for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't believe it's the 3DS saves that are bound to a console. Rather, it's how the 3DS generally protects itself from just letting people pirate games by copying files from one SD card to another that ultimately works to that effect.

On a homebrew'd 3DS, you can use tools to copy and paste save files from others games into your own without issue. Might be a thing that the app removes the old ownership and gives it to you but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Hm maybe that's it. I know I read in the 3ds thread people who didn't do a system migration properly when they changed 3ds' and so they had hundreds of hours of Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing saves on their SD card that the new console wouldn't read.

• Locked thread