Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

In Training posted:

You're allowed to be a sex criminal as long as you're also Jewish in the film world.

Ah, the great Jewish conspiracy angle. Pretty bold move considering there's a neonazi in the white house and the President claims false flag operations for the recent threats and attacks on Jewish cemeteries and community centers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
One of the most baffling things about Polanski, is that Repulsion might be one of the best films about the horror of rape ever made. Like he made a movie that shows he fully understands how awful rape is and what the mere possibility of it happening does to women, yet that didn't prevent him from reading a 13 year old girl.

In Training posted:

You're allowed to be a sex criminal as long as you're also Jewish in the film world.

Please don't post poo poo like this even if you're trying to be ironic, tia

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Are there any decent recent games where you give a squad orders then tell it to go and see how it goes, kinda like how you could for rainbow six: rogue spear?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

Please don't post poo poo like this even if you're trying to be ironic, tia

BBC doesn't employ that many jews anyway

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Are there any decent recent games where you give a squad orders then tell it to go and see how it goes, kinda like how you could for rainbow six: rogue spear?

Ghost Recon: Wildlands is out soon and has aspects of that though it might be more actiony than you're looking for, also I think there's a Warhammer 40K game out soon that's a bit like that?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's stuff like Doorkickers and Frozen Synapse for 2D, lower budget implementation of that. I quite like both of those

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I really like finding a side boss in zelda that I'm way under equipped for and have to struggle to beat but it also makes me kinda sad because I know I'll have just as many situations that are stupidly easy because I waited too long to challenge them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The timing on hot swapping a model 2 Saturn is tricky as hell

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I did it!!! The glorious library of the saturn is now 2 clicks away.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Good.

https://twitter.com/DNOpls/status/837737150061891584

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Roxxas21/status/836045803781238784

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Yes. This is good.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lol, I never noticed that. Granted it's hard to notice the background in a fighting game but still, great little detail.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

CJacobs is going to speedrun a game with me because I said so right now in this post >:]

FirstAidKite is going to buy me a pizza and take me to a movie.

Sakurazuka posted:

Need to get a new battery for my WiiU controller or something, get like 2 1/2 hours out of a full charge now.

There's a fancy super duper battery thing you can buy for it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm sort of suffering from a mild future shock from the graphics in HZD.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

a kitten posted:

I'm sort of suffering from a mild future shock from the graphics in HZD.

They are pretty amazing, but 6 year old Aloy from the prologue is maybe the most uncanny valley thing I've ever seen in a videogame. I was afraid she'd be like that as an adult to but it's much better then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's kind of insane that they managed to get a game that looked as good as Uncharted 4 and then make it open world on top.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It may be the the most beautiful game ever in terms of fairly realistic graphics. The only glaring flaws are the side quest facial animations and the lack of soft body dynamic physics for water. The former is disappointing but the latter is totally excusable since soft body dynamics are totally brutal on performance and the game is already using it quite a bit for a few small things.

Otherwise, jeez so many vistas and the game really utilizes a great dynamic palette between the locations, weather and day/night dynamics, robots, and characters. It successfully avoids the "everything's gray/brown" issue that can affect big open games.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Is there a thread for Blackwake somewhere?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just look at it and look at my memory of firing up the 2600 for the first time and being excited at how awesome Donkey Kong looked right there on my tv at and go :aaa: a little. I'm not sure why Horizon in particular is causing this reaction, it's not like i haven't been gaming on virtually every system/pc since i was a kid.

Games are neat.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I really don't like these Psyche-Locks in Phoenix Wright 2, i.e. presenting evidence to witnesses during the investigation sequences. It runs into that terrible adventure game problem, "Am I not thinking correctly, or do I just lack the correct item for the moment?" Plus, since your wrong answers get penalized with both health damage and several seconds of text scrolling, it's really mellowing my enthusiasm for this series

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

I really don't like these Psyche-Locks in Phoenix Wright 2, i.e. presenting evidence to witnesses during the investigation sequences. It runs into that terrible adventure game problem, "Am I not thinking correctly, or do I just lack the correct item for the moment?" Plus, since your wrong answers get penalized with both health damage and several seconds of text scrolling, it's really mellowing my enthusiasm for this series

Yeah it's not the best mechanic ever, but it leads to some great moments.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you dismantle the first two out of three locks, but find that you maybe don't have the correct item for the last one, when you return later you have to dismantle the first two all over again. It might only take ten to fifteen seconds but it's such a waste of time. It's just... bad.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah it's not the best mechanic ever, but it leads to some great moments.

At least the psyche locks are vaguely related to what you sign in for with a lawyer game (presenting evidence, asking questions). Apollo's stupid bracelet pixel hunt in the later games feels like an aggressive waste of my time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just had my soul accidentally absorbed by Satan encased in a rock so as an apology, the Chef Boyardee village chief offered to give me a tour of the place but he's so goddamn fat he just huffs OH, OH, OH at every step

Zelda owns

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The sheer number of breakable parts on the robots in HZD is nuts. Like, all thise armor plates that you see on the models? Those aren't just a cosmetic part of the enemy. They can all be knocked off individually. Sometimes all at once, by an explosion.

This game is really getting me my Monster Hunter part breaking fix.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

That's it, I'm getting Horizon.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm really looking forward to playing horizon zero dawn but I feel like zelda is spoiling me for other open worlds. It's made me notice how much other open worlds just serve as eye candy when really all that matters is you and whatever you're fighting. In breath of the wild though, weather matters because wet cliffs are harder to climb and rain masks the sound of your footsteps. A large mountain actually causes you to reevaluate your route. A windy day can make your projectile less predictable.

The closest open world I've seen was mgsv's and I still think Zelda's has it handily beat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does anybody know where the Saturn exclusive area in SOTN is?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You'd think a robot would be less interested in Aloy running around a few dozen yards away than in the hacked predator in its face ripping it to pieces, but welp.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bloodychill posted:

It may be the the most beautiful game ever in terms of fairly realistic graphics. The only glaring flaws are the side quest facial animations and the lack of soft body dynamic physics for water. The former is disappointing but the latter is totally excusable since soft body dynamics are totally brutal on performance and the game is already using it quite a bit for a few small things.

Otherwise, jeez so many vistas and the game really utilizes a great dynamic palette between the locations, weather and day/night dynamics, robots, and characters. It successfully avoids the "everything's gray/brown" issue that can affect big open games.

I think Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC) jusssssst edges out HZD in the graphics department but you have to pay $1200 more to get it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
After seeing all the climbing and leaping and gliding in BotW open world games have no excuse to cut down on fun movement mechanics. I know they won't do it because of course they don't but I'd love it if the next TES was an uninstanced world and they brough back climbing, acrobatics and levitation

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nina posted:

After seeing all the climbing and leaping and gliding in BotW open world games have no excuse to cut down on fun movement mechanics. I know they won't do it because of course they don't but I'd love it if the next TES was an uninstanced world and they brough back climbing, acrobatics and levitation

BotW has made it frustrating for me playing Horizon again because I am like "why can't I just climb that rock?"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I think I probably should have played through Horizon first, then again who cares I'm buying two more potentially 40+ hour games on Friday :shepicide:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

BotW has made it frustrating for me playing Horizon again because I am like "why can't I just climb that rock?"

the next assassin's creed game is gonna feel like dogshit compared to this. being able to climb everything but balanced by the stamina bar was the perfect way to do things, and is way more fun and engaging over "hold down a button to climb all the parapets and jutting bricks you want but that's it"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cowcaster posted:

hey remember that time that the game you liked's director literally equated gay people to dogs having sex in the rear end

i didnt know rand miller was a homophobe

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just climbed my first giant dinosaur in Horizon.

:stare: this game is so fuckin' big but strikes the perfect balance of "number of icons I feel like I need to give a poo poo about" on the map

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO09xOB1ySI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

I just climbed my first giant dinosaur in Horizon.

:stare: this game is so fuckin' big but strikes the perfect balance of "number of icons I feel like I need to give a poo poo about" on the map

They managed to make 'climb a tower to reveal stuff on the map' actually seem cool and impressive.

• Locked thread