Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Monomythian posted:

Is Automata seriously the #1 top seller on steam right now :psyduck:

Pretty incredible to go from obscure jank fest 150,000 sold worldwide Draken 3 to this.

The #1 thing depends on the time of week. It's like the box office, sometimes 10k is really the #1 because it's a slow week. Still good news, since it sold 200k physical in Japan which is a good number.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

i still think NieR is fun

Some people think OG Nier is better gameplay than Automata, are you one of those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Tae posted:

Some people think OG Nier is better gameplay than Automata, are you one of those

Probably not? I've only tried the demo so far

I dunno I didn't come into the series expecting deep action games, just depressing RPGs

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 5, 2017

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Tae posted:

The #1 thing depends on the time of week. It's like the box office, sometimes 10k is really the #1 because it's a slow week. Still good news, since it sold 200k physical in Japan which is a good number.
This is important to keep in mind - also the "bestseller" list sorts by cash volume, not copies sold, so a full 60 buck title launch spike usually pushes through. There's other scrapers like http://steamspy.com/app/524220 (the pre-orders dont show up in the crawlable profile pages so it's useless for now) but they come with huge accuracy caveats as well.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
As far as PC performance goes, was there ever a fix to MGR only playing at 30 fps when in full screen mode? I'd really like to play Automata full screen.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

cgeq posted:

As far as PC performance goes, was there ever a fix to MGR only playing at 30 fps when in full screen mode? I'd really like to play Automata full screen.

If you have the hdmi bug (Samsung tvs, some hdmi monitors, some other tvs). No not without some third party applications

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Tae posted:

Some people claim Drakengard 3 has better gameplay.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tae posted:

Honestly they're about equal. One of the nice things about Nier 1 is its simplicity which makes it easy to play and just enjoy the story. Whereas Nier Automata is more complicated and requires more attention but still has a lot of really poorly designed gameplay stuff.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Dear thread, don't spoil anything else (bought the game on steam and I'm going in blind!) but spoil this for me:

BEEPY.

Yes/No?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Once you get further in and have access to more flavours of chips, Automata's as complicated as you want it to be. High % heals on kill and witch time when you can spam dodge without penalty takes all the difficulty out of the game.

Early on, and especially on Hard Mode (and obviously any time on V Hard), you definitely need to be on the ball if you don't want to die.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Dear thread, don't spoil anything else (bought the game on steam and I'm going in blind!) but spoil this for me:

BEEPY.

Yes/No?

_____________No____________

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

BEEPY.

Yes/No?

No.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Once you get further in and have access to more flavours of chips, Automata's as complicated as you want it to be. High % heals on kill and witch time when you can spam dodge without penalty takes all the difficulty out of the game.

Without spoilers, how early can you get the witch time chip?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

A lot of the plug-ins are random drops. I think there's specific drops from specific enemies, but I recall getting a low tier version of the chip fairly early on.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

_____________No____________
Well, that's just slightly disappointing but ultimately completely unsurprising but still Yoko Taro you coulda given me Beepy and I love Beepy so I'm a little sad now but I'm sure I'll still enjoy the game

Thanks, time to not click this thread again for two more weeks :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CrashScreen posted:

A lot of the plug-ins are random drops. I think there's specific drops from specific enemies, but I recall getting a low tier version of the chip fairly early on.

Pretty certain it's based on the general area you're in rather than specifics. However, I believe cost variance is entirely RNG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL7RcFgy7Zw
Why the gently caress is this a thing???

(Drakengard 1, safe from Automata spoilers)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pretty certain it's based on the general area you're in rather than specifics. However, I believe cost variance is entirely RNG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL7RcFgy7Zw
Why the gently caress is this a thing???

(Drakengard 1, safe from Automata spoilers)

Welcome to the internet, I guess?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So because I'm grumpy about it I'd just like to say, watch out if you've googled this game at all and go to youtube?

I haven't looked up a single automata video because I really want to go in to this blind like a dweeb and what happens when I load up youtube to check up on my susbcriptions? Front and center "NIER AUTOMATA FINAL BOSS" complete with the name, a description in the title and a thumbnail featuring a close up of it. So that's a bit of a bummer. At least the rest of the game will still be a surprise. :shrug:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Something like that spoils basically nothing for you, I promise.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Monomythian posted:

loving casuals and their Platinum "good gameplay" hand holding. Back in my day we worked for our Taro stories by killing a million dudes on the first stage, and liked it.

I'm one of the fuckwits that collected all the weapons in drakengard 1 when it first came out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

lets hang out posted:

Something like that spoils basically nothing for you, I promise.

That's good to know. At least knowing who it is won't unravel the whole plot. :shrug: Still, real bummer that it happened.

polish sausage posted:

I'm one of the fuckwits that collected all the weapons in drakengard 1 when it first came out.

I did it after reading Dark Id's LP where he very clearly makes it obvious how stupid and lovely it is to do.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Nuebot posted:

That's good to know. At least knowing who it is won't unravel the whole plot. :shrug: Still, real bummer that it happened.

I did it after reading Dark Id's LP where he very clearly makes it obvious how stupid and lovely it is to do.

Yeah see, no, this was before LPs were a thing. I did it because i thought "these endings are terrible! Surely the 'true ending' will be satisfying!"

basically, gently caress me. I did have alot of of fun with drakengard 1s gameplay tho i'll admit that. changed my mind on warriors games.

edit: the fun was far gone by the time i had to get all those god drat weapons though.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

BEEPY.

Yes/No?

Yes-ish? There's a very, very brief allusion to him but that's it.

dazat fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 6, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wondering if I should buy the JP version of this now, the US version on Tuesday, or the PC version next week.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Wondering if I should buy the JP version of this now, the US version on Tuesday, or the PC version next week.

I mean if you were going to get the JP version you should have done it a week and a half ago. At this point you might as well wait for the NA release if that's your primary account, especially since it's cheaper.

No reason to wait for the PC release if you have a PS4 unless you're super obsessed with graphical fidelity. Nier:A isn't going to be a looker no matter how many pixels they pump in so the 900p(mostly)60 is perfectly serviceable.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Genocyber posted:

I mean if you were going to get the JP version you should have done it a week and a half ago. At this point you might as well wait for the NA release if that's your primary account, especially since it's cheaper.

No reason to wait for the PC release if you have a PS4 unless you're super obsessed with graphical fidelity. Nier:A isn't going to be a looker no matter how many pixels they pump in so the 900p(mostly)60 is perfectly serviceable.

I require as many pixels of 2b rear end and real time wet dry physics as I can possibly get

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dog Hausu posted:

What was wrong with the PC port of MGR?

The fact that every cutscene is a FMV is ridiculous. might be a victim of the truncated development time more than the port but I hope that doesn't happen with Nier: Autobutt

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Rising probably wasn't expected to be ported, either, while Automata had it off the bat. Who knooows.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Yeah I was only thinking about the JP because Breath of the Wild isn't doing it for me and I've been bored all weekend. Too late now though, as you say.

If I order tonight, it'll be playable at 9PM Pacific tomorrow, right?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

are cyborg butts made of metal or what?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Augus posted:

are cyborg butts made of metal or what?

Super flexible metal.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone know if there's a list anywhere showing off where to get the weapons? I only have a little over half and I've done most of the side quests/all primary endings, so I'm guessing it's esoteric bullshit like fishing in the sewers.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Genocyber posted:

Anyone know if there's a list anywhere showing off where to get the weapons? I only have a little over half and I've done most of the side quests/all primary endings, so I'm guessing it's esoteric bullshit like fishing in the sewers.

Can't speak to the accuracy since I haven't checked it out completely, but:

http://twinfinite.net/2017/03/nier-automata-get-all-weapons-how-to/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So I suppose I should have asked this before putting down the bones so I can play tomorrow but:

how representative did the demo of this game turn out to be? That showed me a straightforward character action game with camera fuckery, some equipment customization and very light exploration elements, but from reading as much as I can here avoiding black bars, I seem to have... er, missed the mark. (And wandered into something more explore-y, which didn't work for me in Breath of the Wild and I don't see working here either.)

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Bonus Boss Spoilers: Does anyone know how to trigger the second Emil fight? I've already beat him outside his room.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Ciaphas posted:

So I suppose I should have asked this before putting down the bones so I can play tomorrow but:

how representative did the demo of this game turn out to be? That showed me a straightforward character action game with camera fuckery, some equipment customization and very light exploration elements, but from reading as much as I can here avoiding black bars, I seem to have... er, missed the mark. (And wandered into something more explore-y, which didn't work for me in Breath of the Wild and I don't see working here either.)

The demo is the first mission of the game. The game's "dungeons" tend to be that way, more linear stuff. There is most definitely an open world, but the world is much smaller than something on the scale of Zelda, Horizon, or Witcher. Traversal is a lot of fun too, you move with a lot of speed and fluidity with double jumps and air dashes, jumping from rooftop to rooftop is pretty awesome.

Make no mistake though, this is an open world RPG with exploration elements. It's just not one to the scale of something like Zelda.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Welp! Oh well, too late to back out now. Thanks for the explanation, maybe the higher octane action-y bits will get this to take better for me than Zelda has.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

It's a smaller game since there's not a lot of hubs but empty space. Also I hope you like replaying battles because there's a huge component of the story. Upgrading weapons is simple as farming mats but nothing insane like MMO can be and won't take hrs of your life away.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

dazat posted:

Bonus Boss Spoilers: Does anyone know how to trigger the second Emil fight? I've already beat him outside his room.

you need all the weapons and they all need to be upgraded to lvl 4

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Lord Lambeth posted:

The fact that every cutscene is a FMV is ridiculous. might be a victim of the truncated development time more than the port but I hope that doesn't happen with Nier: Autobutt
On the other hand that means after the first playthrough you can just delete the entire video folder, turning a 25 gb install into a 3 gb game, and still play through the entire game perfectly fine, or even better since it instantly skips the missing fmvs without delaying a single frame (or at least no longer than the usually hidden loads).

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Well the game is 50 gigs on ps4 so it could easily be a ton of fmv's!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

arisu posted:

Can't speak to the accuracy since I haven't checked it out completely, but:

http://twinfinite.net/2017/03/nier-automata-get-all-weapons-how-to/

The ones that have descriptions are all correct, if I recall correctly. I'm quite certain that the one that doesn't is a very late game pick up.

A lot of the cutscenes are FMV, so that will be the majority of the file size.