Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ufarn posted:

Any hints for the last stand tower defence cannoneering part of Horizon?

I don't know how close I've come, but, uh, I may be doing something wrong.

Stand next to the basket and just keep shooting. You can charge up to 6 shots. Use heal potions if you start taking hits. The second to last wave is the toughest and is when dudes are just pouring out of the passes. It shouldn't be too tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm on the second wave atm. Do I prioritize the Deathbringers first, or do I take out the critters first and go back to pummelling it?

I just keep getting hit a lot, and I'm not entirely sure whether I'm supposed to have functional cover, as nothing seems to protect me.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Quick question: I decided to buy Horizon digitally after renting the disc and it says i have to delete the disc install before i can download. Does that mean i lose my progress too?

Not a big deal if that's the case, just curious.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Saves are different than installs and patches.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a kitten posted:

Quick question: I decided to buy Horizon digitally after renting the disc and it says i have to delete the disc install before i can download. Does that mean i lose my progress too?

Not a big deal if that's the case, just curious.

Nah, only the Vita ever did that because Sony was :tinfoil: about save editing.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Real hurthling! posted:

its a landmark game it story telling and character development in open world rpgs. the atmosphere is pretty generic fantasy though.

fridge corn posted:

Yeah it's really good. The story in Witcher 3 isn't really that good anyway , it's just well written by video game standards

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DrNutt posted:

Every game should be as unforgiving wrt jumps as Castlevania, obviously.

I don't know about unforgiving but Castlevania is pretty stiff, yeah. Hardly any momentum and obviously no ledge grabbing. Prince of Persia has no air control either but plays way better.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cool, i kinda figured that was the case, but wasn't sure.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

since this is the samsung 4k tv thread, just a psa

the nintendo switch doesn't play nice with the ps4's favorite tv. it will constantly steal the input away from other devices and there is no fix. it likes to send data even in rest mode for no reason so you have to unplug the hdmi if you don't want to have all your shows and ps4 games interrupted every few minutes.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's the HD revenge of Nintendo. Seriously, I have a TV with a 360, Wii, chromecast and a Bluray with HDD and have no issues :psyduck:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
omg, who thought a boss timer would be a good idea

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I bought that need for speed double pack, enjoying rivals but thought I'd have a go of the street racing reboot and holy poo poo why did they think any of this was a good idea.

Whenever anyone in the world sees a race going on, they just camp out and try their hardest to gently caress you up in their end game cars. to play solo you have to start the game, go through an intensely long loading screen, get into it, pick play solo, then it reloads the entire game again. And in my case - crashes and says I've lost connection to the server. 3 times in a row, so I have to assume that playing solo is broken and doesn't actually do anything.

There's probably a decent game under here but gently caress they do not make it easy to get to. I've been 'playing' for an hour and managed to do half of one race so far. At least 30 minutes sat at loading screens.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

the nintendo switch doesn't play nice with the ps4's favorite tv. it will constantly steal the input away from other devices and there is no fix. it likes to send data even in rest mode for no reason so you have to unplug the hdmi if you don't want to have all your shows and ps4 games interrupted every few minutes.

I don't know about the Samsung but on my Sony TV there's a setting to turn off HDMI-CEC altogether. That might be a little inconvenient but not as bad as having one device steal focus.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

It sounds like something Nintendo is going to have to fix with with a firmware update. Their implementation of HDMI-CEC must be hosed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Imagined posted:

I don't know about the Samsung but on my Sony TV there's a setting to turn off HDMI-CEC altogether. That might be a little inconvenient but not as bad as having one device steal focus.

I looked it up on some message boards. Turning off cec doesnt fix it its a samsung feature called something like auto focus that current firmware doesnt let you toggle.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Real hurthling! posted:

I looked it up on some message boards. Turning off cec doesnt fix it its a samsung feature called something like auto focus that current firmware doesnt let you toggle.

This is a bad solution, but have you considered an HDMI switch?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The tv has an easy access hdmi box so its no big deal to plug it in and unplug it until they work something out. Just wanted to give a heads up

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

You can also just turn that feature off in the Switch settings.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ometeotl posted:

You can also just turn that feature off in the Switch settings.

nope that's power state. for like when you turn the switch on it turns the tv on. the switch is asleep, does not wake up, and calls for focus from the tv with this issue (and i have the option you are talking about turned off too!)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hey, the dude from SBH did a catch-up video about Nier's story for anyone who didn't play it and wants to know without playing that game all the way through, including the different endings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8xx4sT6rEI

It's entertaining.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'd love to get LEGO Dimensions for my (4 yo) son because it looks neat, and at the end of the day even without the game they're still LEGO toys, but it feels like a machine to create a kid who's never satisfied with what they already have, you know what I mean? It's impossible for me to imagine a scenario where I got enough of those toys that he wouldn't immediately be asking for more of them.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Real hurthling! posted:

So that's what 'getting Sarnsunged' means.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Imagined posted:

I'd love to get LEGO Dimensions for my (4 yo) son because it looks neat, and at the end of the day even without the game they're still LEGO toys, but it feels like a machine to create a kid who's never satisfied with what they already have, you know what I mean? It's impossible for me to imagine a scenario where I got enough of those toys that he wouldn't immediately be asking for more of them.

My wife has Lego Dimensions and a lot of the packs for it. My four year old twins play it quite a bit, but like Lego Marvel Heroes a lot more for whatever reason. I think because you can't really play with the stuff Lego Dimensions comes with - ya, you get to build the stuff the first time, but otherwise it's like any other toys to life stuff, you're just swapping things out on the portal. When we go to the Lego store, they never want anything for Lego Dimensions, always something they can play with. And when they want to play a Lego game, it's usually not Dimensions. I guess all that to say, Dimensions is neat, but if you're worried about an escalation of having to buy everything for it, in my experience little kids enjoy the other lego games just as much or more as games.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I love Lego Dimensions but I also got the starter pack for $40 and 2 level packs + 5 more characters for like $50 so it's not like I was paying full price for all the stuff.

How are yall insisting on playing HZD on very hard? I keep getting smoked on Normal. Is it because I'm not far enough in to have unlocked stuff?

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

ElwoodCuse posted:

I love Lego Dimensions but I also got the starter pack for $40 and 2 level packs + 5 more characters for like $50 so it's not like I was paying full price for all the stuff.

How are yall insisting on playing HZD on very hard? I keep getting smoked on Normal. Is it because I'm not far enough in to have unlocked stuff?

Just disregard them and play on what you're comfortable with. They've gotten too used to the game I'd wager that they could easily overcome challenges.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I won't pretend to know how people are breezing through Very Hard. But the key lesson that made things click for me is learning to be patient. You should not fight more than one enemy if you can help it. If you aggro a whole pack just run away. Either you will pull the one you've been actively attacking, or they'll all revert and you can find a better point of attack. When you are fighting individual machines, tearing off their armor and elemental effects are huge. The first time I did 1200 damage with one shot I was so happy

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I can't wait to start H:ZD but i'm only about 15 hours into Yakuza 0 and i'm enjoying it far too much to switch games now :/

Also, this week i learned that Amazon.co.uk have started shipping a lot of stuff from inside Ireland so it explains why my last 3 purchases arrived the day after they shipped, something that usually took a week or more. I'm going to impulse buy so much stuff now :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

Also, this week i learned that Amazon.co.uk have started shipping a lot of stuff from inside Ireland

Oh really!?? Explains a lot.

Except why there's still no amazon.ie :'(

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

They'd run out of potatoes far too often, creating a customer service nightmare

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ElwoodCuse posted:

A lot of goons are freakishly good at video games. I'm pretty good but I'm playing on Normal because it's just hard enough to keep me on my toes without being as brain dead easy as many games are on normal

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I posted previously that the Nier Automata demo didn't exactly blow me away or sell me on the game, but something about that is getting on my nerves since I keep seeing everyone talk about how great it is. Should I give the demo another shot, or is it likely just not my cup of tea?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Meldonox posted:

I posted previously that the Nier Automata demo didn't exactly blow me away or sell me on the game, but something about that is getting on my nerves since I keep seeing everyone talk about how great it is. Should I give the demo another shot, or is it likely just not my cup of tea?
Well, the demo presents it as a linear action game like the rest of Platinum's games (where it is inferior to the others because it's so simplified), when actually it's a big RPG with a bunch of unexpected crazy poo poo, so in that sense it isn't representing the final product well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Meldonox posted:

Its free so maybe

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just beat Titanfall 2 campaign. God drat what a great game. Good platforming, good shooting, it is a better Singularity than Singularity and looks amazing. I may even play some MP now.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The biggest sin of n++ is... No death victories! In the original n, if the ninja fell into the open win door, or was hit by a missile in victory pose, he would die but you'd still win. Now that's gone, such injustice!

It is still a very fun upgrade of a very tight platformer that I put countless hours into on the high school days.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does Horizon have any things I can miss or point of no return

This was answered a few pages back, but sort of incorrectly. There are soft points of no return, meaning completion of sidequests can influence cutscenes at two points (Which are heavily telegraphed by the game, to the point of the characters saying "This is a sort of point of no return"). However, you are never locked out of sidequests, even after the end of the game. So while you might miss a cinematic or a line of dialogue, you won't ever miss out on gameplay no matter what you do.

There is one trophy attached to completing some sidequests before the final mission, but since the end of the credits spits you back right before the final mission and it can be replayed as many times as you want, you can still just do the sidequests afterward and then start the mission to get the trophy.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ElwoodCuse posted:

I would not go past hard. Too many one shot oh whoops couldn't avoid it deaths. Hard has been perfect.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

precision posted:

A lot of goons are freakishly good at video games. I'm pretty good but I'm playing on Normal because it's just hard enough to keep me on my toes without being as brain dead easy as many games are on normal

I just beat HZD and I found normal to be a decent challenge the whole way through

I liked it more than I thought I would, felt like a cross between far cry and witcher 3. I will play Horizon First Dawn when it comes out in the coming years

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bugblatter posted:

This was answered a few pages back, but sort of incorrectly. There are soft points of no return, meaning completion of sidequests can influence cutscenes at two points (Which are heavily telegraphed by the game, to the point of the characters saying "This is a sort of point of no return"). However, you are never locked out of sidequests, even after the end of the game. So while you might miss a cinematic or a line of dialogue, you won't ever miss out on gameplay no matter what you do.

There is one trophy attached to completing some sidequests before the final mission, but since the end of the credits spits you back right before the final mission and it can be replayed as many times as you want, you can still just do the sidequests afterward and then start the mission to get the trophy.

I posted about it myself earlier but I believe there is a collectible item that you need to unlock the high-tech shield armor that is only accessible during one story beat because if you try to go back there afterward, the door is locked. I don't know if that actually opens back up later, but YouTube has quite a few videos of people glitching their way back in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bugblatter posted:

Are you absolutely sure this is the case? I've been holding off on the last two missions because everyone else says you have to complete the side missions first to get the trophy.

Also I couldn't tell what the first "point of no return" affected.