Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

Nintendo...ran themselves right out of the home console market

-Less than 72 hours after Nintendo launched their latest home console

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

jivjov posted:

-Less than 72 hours after Nintendo launched their latest home console

It's a portable console, that docks into your TV. If it were a home console it would be laughably underpowered by any metric. Jivjov, are you seriously going to argue that the Wii U was a success?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Everyone understands that is the current situation and that Nintendo is not legally required to do otherwise. We're discussing whether that is an acceptable user friendly approach in 2017. Many people would prefer for the Virtual Console to function like most other digital stores, where you are buying the product on your account and can use it on devices you own, as opposed to buying the product for a Wii U Virtual Console or a Switch Virtual Console, there's just... The Virtual Console. Think iTunes, Steam, etc. I got a new phone and didn't have to rebuy any apps I had paid for. I like that because it's better for me. I understand it makes the company less money off of me. I'm not saying they are obliged to do otherwise. I also don't care what Sony does because I'm not interested in a console war.

I make this argument all the time, it's clear that the only reason it is this way is because "it's always been this way" and no other dedicated console manufacturer has truly gone all-in and offered up their digital library to the next generation through backwards compatibility.

It's annoying that they keep nickle&diming the same 10 million people for money, when the security of knowing we'll be able to bring old software onto our new machines is like a free way for Nintendo to add a fuckton of value to a new machine. It benefits fans old and new just to know that it can, and shakes up the industry in such a way that the other console manufacturers have to start considering backwards or lateral compatibility as well. I think Sony has dipped their toes in this with the Vita and PS3

I don't have any complaints with the initial prices of the games because Nintendo games have some legacy value that will always exist. But their practice of milking their most dedicated fans for money when they're the ones who are going to be free-advertising their products is completely rude

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't believe it's the 3DS saves that are bound to a console. Rather, it's how the 3DS generally protects itself from just letting people pirate games by copying files from one SD card to another that ultimately works to that effect.

On a homebrew'd 3DS, you can use tools to copy and paste save files from others games into your own without issue. Might be a thing that the app removes the old ownership and gives it to you but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

i believe the saves are encrypted, but obviously to work the 3DS needs its own keys to de/ecnrypt so the save manager uses that (extracting is both copying and decrypting, basically)
I also believe that it's only for non-cartridge saves it does this, because just passing a cartridge obviously works, but wouldn't if it was encrypting cartridge saves

RME
Feb 20, 2012

note these keys are different from the ownership ones which are locked up more tightly

RME
Feb 20, 2012

but i could just be wrong

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
*cries about graphics and power in 2017*

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bloodplay it again posted:

I had to press it three times but then it rumbled and turned on my TV and three A presses later I'm back where I was in Zelda. Hell yeah.

Nice! It wakes the console, turns on the TV, and switches inputs on my TV too. This is amazing

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Tender Bender posted:

Jivjov, are you seriously going to argue that the Wii U was a success?

Oh boy you've done it now

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RME posted:

i believe the saves are encrypted, but obviously to work the 3DS needs its own keys to de/ecnrypt so the save manager uses that (extracting is both copying and decrypting, basically)
I also believe that it's only for non-cartridge saves it does this, because just passing a cartridge obviously works, but wouldn't if it was encrypting cartridge saves

Yeah, that's basically it as far as I know. The encryption is to allow ex/importing the file in general, rather than it simply just being "Stop this belonging to 3DS #2999" thing which rarely if ever matters.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

This is a dumb post in many ways.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I like the Switch, I paid $300 for one on launch day despite glaring signs that the first run had serious hardware issues. I'm happy with my purchase. I can still coherently discuss what it is.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
So is there a goon approved power bank for this thing? Looking at a few of longish flights in the next few months without a/c power (economy class :argh:), and would love to Switch on the plane.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
everyone buy 100 copies of skyrim so bethesda will do more for switch

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
and lol at u if you dont unlock your screen with ZR

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

my new dog posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhic_victory

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

squidgee posted:

So is there a goon approved power bank for this thing? Looking at a few of longish flights in the next few months without a/c power (economy class :argh:), and would love to Switch on the plane.

There are some that people kind of recommend based on theorycrafting from the design specs, as well as some anecdotal testing in a few reviews, but I don't think there's been time for the community to really suss out what's your best bet. Early speculation is that even the best ones out there might not give you more than a trickle charge, and will possibly even just slow but not halt the battery drain if you use them while actively playing. I'd wait a few weeks if you can to see what people report what works (and if any are unsafe!). There are a bunch of viable ones with Prime two day shipping so you can wait pretty close to the deadline.

Also, many planes have power ports in all classes now (source, I fly a loving ton). Problem is it completely varies based on what type of plane your flight uses. I also don't know if those ports are really full power or some half charge or something; they work for my phone and 3ds at least.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

my new dog posted:

I also want to play games that run poorly on more powerful consoles and high-end PCs to run on the Nintendo Switch.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Switch keeps stealing the focus from other devices while in sleep mode on Samsung tvs

Very annoying.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
My graphics

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lmbo the right joycon is so bad. The Analog stick is way too low when on the side of the swtich, my thumb cramped up within 5 minutes of using it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Both single joycons are crap. Left got no signal. Right got worse setup. Pick your poison.

Real hurthling! posted:

Switch keeps stealing the focus from other devices while in sleep mode on Samsung tvs

Very annoying.

Not mine. In fact I can't get attention back unless its waking up. Which is opposite annoying. I can press the ps button on ps4 to get attention to that from whatever's happening.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 5, 2017

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mercury Crusader posted:

I also want to play games that run poorly on more powerful consoles and high-end PCs to run on the Nintendo Switch.

i meant i am hoping for something made specifically for the switch or maybe ports of dishonoreds etc. are you upset about the thought of games on a games machine

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The lack of power being an issue isn't specifically a graphics thing, it's more of a "can this thing even run our game because we can't port to it if can't" and that leads to "i'm not buying a switch because it doesn't have cod of battlefields 2018 but the ps4 does i'll get that instead it's cheaper anyway" which means leads to the Wii U 2 with even Nintendo not making lots of games for it because it's hard to guarantee there's going to be a return of investment on it unless they can bank on it, like Xeno-, Zelda, Mario (any flavour) or Smash. People feel short changed by a console they've bought with a small library and little coming. Graphics issues are a side effect that people dislike.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

It's a portable console, that docks into your TV. If it were a home console it would be laughably underpowered by any metric. Jivjov, are you seriously going to argue that the Wii U was a success?

"The Switch isn't a console, it's a console!!!"

And yes, the Wii U is a very successful console.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Tender Bender posted:

There are some that people kind of recommend based on theorycrafting from the design specs, as well as some anecdotal testing in a few reviews, but I don't think there's been time for the community to really suss out what's your best bet. Early speculation is that even the best ones out there might not give you more than a trickle charge, and will possibly even just slow but not halt the battery drain if you use them while actively playing. I'd wait a few weeks if you can to see what people report what works (and if any are unsafe!). There are a bunch of viable ones with Prime two day shipping so you can wait pretty close to the deadline.

Also, many planes have power ports in all classes now (source, I fly a loving ton). Problem is it completely varies based on what type of plane your flight uses. I also don't know if those ports are really full power or some half charge or something; they work for my phone and 3ds at least.

That makes sense, thanks!

Sadly my trans-atlantic flight is on the one type of plane that doesn't have power in economy class on British Airways.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Tender Bender posted:

Jivjov, are you seriously going to argue that the Wii U was a success?

Very clever.

You monster.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

jivjov posted:

Mr. President you must upgrade the thread to JIVCON 2.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

jivjov posted:

Come on dude you're even including the correct quote above your misquote. At least put a little effort in if you're going to waste all our time with your gimmick.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Also why the gently caress did they put the charging cable on the bottom, making it impossible to charge and use the stand at the same time?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Still would love a case recommendation that's not sold out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

Also why the gently caress did they put the charging cable on the bottom, making it impossible to charge and use the stand at the same time?

Because they had to get the switch out this fiscal year and weren't allowed an extra six months to fine tune it, which it so very clearly needed. Still, they'll hopefully fix as much of the non-physical issues as they can, as soon as they can with it.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Most PC games come with plenty of graphical settings to make them run fine on older systems. It's just a matter of putting in the money and effort to optimize their games for the Switch. If the games sell well enough, they will.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Because they had to get the switch out this fiscal year and weren't allowed an extra six months to fine tune it, which it so very clearly needed. Still, they'll hopefully fix as much of the non-physical issues as they can, as soon as they can with it.

Yeah, as an embedded engineer I understand that moving a port to the top would take six months of time.

Oh wait, I wouldn't make retarded decisions like that to begin with.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

my new dog posted:

i meant i am hoping for something made specifically for the switch or maybe ports of dishonoreds etc. are you upset about the thought of games on a games machine

I'm upset about the thought of a Bethesda game on any machine.

EDIT: DOOM is good though but that's more id

EDIT 2: Put DOOM on the Switch

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

It's a longshot, but if anyone is in the San Diego area, the Amazon Books at UTC mall had a ton of the neons in stock yesterday.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah, as an embedded engineer I understand that moving a port to the top would take six months of time.

Oh wait, I wouldn't make retarded decisions like that to begin with.

There's a lot about this console that makes little to no sense under scrutiny. I don't think sensible is the right language to use to try and understand Nintendo's reasoning.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

There's a lot about this console that makes little to no sense under scrutiny. I don't think sensible is the right language to use to try and understand Nintendo's reasoning.

It's just baffling. The very first thing I think about when I look at a Gerber file of a portable device is: Can it charge while using it? You would think that with Nintendo's history of portable devices that too would have been the first question.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ugh. Amazon said I'd have mine monday (Paid extra for that) but I don't see how unless USPS tracking is just delayed. It updated at 10am today to say it was in IL. Departed Seller, on route to carrier. I live in Seattle.

There's just no fuckin' way...

[edit for less whiny content]: Do I want some kind of right angle USB C charger or something? Please advise...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Feenix posted:

Ugh. Amazon said I'd have mine monday (Paid extra for that) but I don't see how unless USPS tracking is just delayed. It updated at 10am today to say it was in IL. Departed Seller, on route to carrier. I live in Seattle.

There's just no fuckin' way...

[edit for less whiny content]: Do I want some kind of right angle USB C charger or something? Please advise...

Its on the the bottom middle so a 90 usb c would balance the whole console on that. Its a really bad design. I think a case could fix it. But that's problematic with joycons removing.

Switch lite will have one onthe back I bet.

• Locked thread