Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

spasticColon posted:

I really hope this isn't a common issue because I was going to go get a Pro Controller for my Wii U today.

Have one, and it's worked fine. Walmart has em for $25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rime posted:

Y'know, a fair number of these shrines are just like "Lol, thanks for coming out, here's some loot and a sword" with no puzzle involved. :crossarms:

You mean the shrines that you have to do a quest to unlock, which say "you by entering here, have already proved yourself worthy" ? I thought that was cool as gently caress :colbert:

If you're really just talking about a shrine with a sword, you missed something. They should all give you a spirit token thing when you get to the end. But there are some which just reward you with no puzzle, because they're hidden shrines you have to complete a puzzle to unlock. I thought that was really nice, so you don't have to do two puzzles just for one reward.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rime posted:

Y'know, a fair number of these shrines are just like "Lol, thanks for coming out, here's some loot and a sword" with no puzzle involved. :crossarms:
pretty sure you need to solve a puzzle to find those ones

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Zaphod42 posted:

You mean the shrines that you have to do a quest to unlock, which say "you by entering here, have already proved yourself worthy" ? I thought that was cool as gently caress :colbert:

If you're really just talking about a shrine with a sword, you missed something. They should all give you a spirit token thing when you get to the end. But there are some which just reward you with no puzzle, because they're hidden shrines you have to complete a puzzle to unlock. I thought that was really nice, so you don't have to do two puzzles just for one reward.

Nah, I mis-typed orb for sword. I've found at least four in out of the way places which just give you the goods because you paraglided in. Much trial, such sacrifice.

Now that the initial gloss has worn off I'm starting to see through the cracks a bit.

Of course, then I struggle through a thunderstorm and watch lightning blow trees apart all around me only to find MAJOR SPOILER a shrine to loving Ruto from OoT and the game goes back to :asoiaf:

Rime fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 5, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I was concerned that he was given some muscle definition.

Dude is loving cut, look at him

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Icedude posted:

Why didn't I pre-order a Switch? :negative:

Between watching streams and listening to the soundtrack, this game looks so good to the point I caved in and ordered a Switch and I have no idea how long I'll have to wait until it gets delivered. Holy gently caress the Hyrule Castle music is so good.

Is the floating island you can see in the background in some trailers and screenshots actually A Thing? I cant seem to find anything about it other than pre-launch speculation.

You could just get a used Wii U for bargain basement prices now, and get the same game and a bunch of others to last you until the switch has games worth getting besides Zelda.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Amazing. You can mount Lynels. Goty, Gotd, Gotc, etc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rime posted:

Nah, I mis-typed orb for sword. I've found at least four in out of the way places which just give you the goods because you paraglided in. Much trial, such sacrifice.

Now that the initial gloss has worn off I'm starting to see through the cracks a bit.

There's like literally 150 shrines in the game man who fuckin cares holy poo poo

Heaven forbid they reward you for exploring and paragliding around. Is that not a form of puzzle?!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Where can I find more iron hammers or something else I can mine with? My sledgehammer broke and nothing else can break ore clumps.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Rime posted:

:regd09: This is intentional.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Rime posted:

You're really overstating this. I've done like 30 shrines at this point, and the handful that just give you the reward either require some challenging traversal to get in, an environmental puzzle to access (e.g. solving some riddle from an NPC's conversation that points you to a bombable wall) or there's some kind of boss/mini-boss fight beforehand.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Where can I find more iron hammers or something else I can mine with? My sledgehammer broke and nothing else can break ore clumps.

Bombs? Just use bombs so you don't break anything.

Iron Hammers are commonly found around stables in the north if you really want one.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah the Lyon and some of the Combat Shrine Guardians are pretty friggin rough, like approaching a dark souls or nioh boss that can kill you in one hit, and takes a long time to whittle down.

Thing is since this is zelda, you can always pause and scarf food to heal like in Skyrim, and you can bring faeries with you for extra lives. But still, if he's that hard, usually I figure that means I'm not ready yet. My RPG stats are already going up a ton versus what they were yesterday, my armor is all +2 now and my weapons are all up to 20-40 attack with one I'm saving that's higher, and lots of enemies that were killing me before are a fair fight now. So I think I just gotta keep going before I'm ready for the Lyon or those Combat Trials. Like I could do them now and they'be like dark souls hard, try to never get hit, or I could just wait until I have 30 hearts and then it'll be easy :)
Yeah yeah, I have no problem just marking this area on my map with a skull stamp and moving on, knowing that I'll eventually be better prepared to beat it

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jimmy Hats posted:

Just entered Vah Ruta. I am stoked for my first dungeon!

I had the big centaur guy down to 1/4 health before he spotted me and pushed my poo poo in so i had to sneak around during that segment. I'll be back, you bastard.

That guy is an absolute fucker (they were fuckers in Zelda 1 too so I guess it's true to form), but I was stubborn and he needed punishment so I spent an hour whittling him down to a sliver of health over and over before he would get a cheap shot off and kill me. But I took that fucker down, and I'm never going up that mountain again.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 5, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Yeah yeah, I have no problem just marking this area on my map with a skull stamp and moving on, knowing that I'll eventually be better prepared to beat it

Yeah and the stamp system is really good for that. I've marked all kinds of places where I can cook, where there's an overworld boss, or stuff like that, so I can come back later and easily find it again.

You can only have 5 pins but as far as I can tell you can put as many stamps as you want. And you can scope, pin a location, and then change the pin to a stamp. Once you get the hang of it, its really nifty.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Harrow posted:

The one on the ledge in lower Kakariko that looks over Goponga Swamp seems to respawn.

(So does the torch by the old man's fire on the plateau. And there's usually some food there too. He's still looking out for you. It's sweet. :3: )

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Harrow posted:

Pretty sure any heavy two handed weapon, like claymores, can also break them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Bombs? Just use bombs so you don't break anything.

Iron Hammers are commonly found around stables in the north if you really want one.

gently caress why didn't I just assume that'd work

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

There's so many tools and options in this game its real easy to overlook the easy solution and try to force a square peg into a round hole. Because often you can, its just a little harder. :)

Like sometimes you're climbing up this huge cliffside and you're barely making it with stamina boosts and potions and you get to the top and its like, man, I could have just walked around and then gone up the easy path where the road was...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Harrow posted:

Literally every person on the road to Kakariko says "You know bombs can blow up these rocks, but don't blow up anything next to me!"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Please be smart about when to use bombs to blow up ores cause one time I blew up ore on a clifface and watched as like four ambers and a ruby slid down into the lake and sank, never to be seen again

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wildtortilla posted:

That's a shame. :(

I've been sick of open world games for years now, but I haven't enjoyed a game like this since Dark Souls. It feels like an adventure and I'm getting something from exploring instead of just another tick mark towards collecting every kind of something.

I'll probably keep trying, because drat it it's a Zelda game and I'm sort of obligated to at least see it through, but I dunno. Just too sandboxy for me, I think, I'm becoming more and more of a theme park guy as time goes on.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Should I hang on to all the Luminous Stones I've found? They sell for a bunch so I'm assuming they must be something I want to keep.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I'll probably keep trying, because drat it it's a Zelda game and I'm sort of obligated to at least see it through, but I dunno. Just too sandboxy for me, I think, I'm becoming more and more of a theme park guy as time goes on.

You can spend a ton of time loving around in the open world, and you get rewarded with shrines giving you heart pieces, but if you want something more theme parky dive into one of the 4 main bosses ASAP. The game is freeform so you can go at it with your own pace, if you want more themepark then stick to the main story and trim the fat.

Dunno if all that will be enough for you but you may be surprised, its still a huuuuge game even if you ignore most of the off-the-beaten-path stuff.

Myself, I'm right there with the last guy who was saying I haven't played a game I've been this into since Dark Souls 1. I just wanna run around and see everything, and everywhere I'm finding cool and interesting things, and everything feels so free and fresh and fun and rewarding.... ahhh :allears:

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Is there a way to send a horse I've already named to a stable if I'm out in the wild? Or do I just have to ride it all the way back to the nearest stable if I've hit a dead end?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I really enjoy how much it's up to me to decide when I feel like I've explored enough. It always feel like I've left some treasure or item on the table whenever I decide to move on to the next lake or mountain range cause hey that's adventuring man. I get paranoid that I'm missing shrines cause I'm just dumb a lot of the time and am tempted to look up a map of them to settle my nerves, but with the sensor for them and the feeling of making it over a hill and seeing a shrine nestled under an ancient Shadow Of The Colossus rear end bridge has kept me going.

Harrow posted:

Should I hang on to all the Luminous Stones I've found? They sell for a bunch so I'm assuming they must be something I want to keep.
I've seen people say that You can turn in ten Luminous Stones for a Diamond in Zora's Domain

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is there a percentage screen of all of the poo poo you've done? I want to see how far into the game I actually am after at least 50+ hours.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jetfire posted:

Is there a way to send a horse I've already named to a stable if I'm out in the wild? Or do I just have to ride it all the way back to the nearest stable if I've hit a dead end?

If you have already saddled and named the horse, its yours forever (unless it dies, but you can resurrect it somewhere too). Feel free to just leave it somewhere.

Any stable can summon your horses no matter where you left them. :) No "sending" needed.

You can just teleport back to the stable or whatever.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

Literally every person on the road to Kakariko says "You know bombs can blow up these rocks, but don't blow up anything next to me!"

Who takes the roads tho

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!
Nobody is making you explore. There's a road to the four divine beasts.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

If you have already saddled and named the horse, its yours forever (unless it dies, but you can resurrect it somewhere too). Feel free to just leave it somewhere.

Any stable can summon your horses no matter where you left them. :) No "sending" needed.

You can just teleport back to the stable or whatever.

Oh thank god. Everything's gonna be okay, Roach!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Do I really have to spend 600 rupees to get what I need to get into Gerudoville?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

How are you supposed to avoid his attacks? Shock arrows are cheap as poo poo.

gently caress you, Lynel: A Strategy Guide

He will swap his bow out for dual blades if you get up close, so close in ASAP and do backflips / flurry counterattacks. Use regular attacks in between as well because you can cancel melee attacks into dodges. When he jumps back then get some distance because he will either be shooting fireballs or gearing up for a Bald Bull-esque bull charge that will gently caress you up.

If you can ping him in the face with arrows then it will stun him for a little bit and you can jump on his back to hit him up to 5 times. It's hard to do since he rarely sits still and his face has a small hit box, but I found that bomb arrows seem to be more effective.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
is it ok if I can't beat the rock monster on the plateau at the start of the game

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I just activated Hateno Tower. There's no way I'm ever going to beat this game

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kurtofan posted:

is it ok if I can't beat the rock monster on the plateau at the start of the game

Yeah, I actually never went back to beat him.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Kurtofan posted:

No. Please hand over your controller, your gaming career is over.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!

Kurtofan posted:

He's near impossible without a soldiers sword.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kurtofan posted:

Run underneath and around it's legs and it practically can't hit you, shoot an arrow into the obvious bit on its back when it stops for a sec, go to town on the same obvious bit with your highest damage weapon. But yeah it can one shot you so you're probably not supposed to beat it at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Despera posted:

He's near impossible without a soldiers sword.

I used the hammer you can pick up early on and that did super damage.