Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The charging port is on the bottom so the Switch can slide into the dock and charge. It's not that mysterious.

Still sucks for tabletop mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
The port is on the bottom so it can dock, and so there is space on top for the fans. we had this discussion like three pages ago guys. The switch can charge in its two most used positions.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Drunk Tomato posted:

The port is on the bottom so it can dock, and so there is space on top for the fans. we had this discussion like three pages ago guys. The switch can charge in its two most used positions.

It wouldnt have been hard to engineer it with contacts like the wiiu tablet(which could dock and had an alternate charging port). So it worked in all 3 advertized play modes.

But since you talked about it already I guess its a settled matter and everything is forgiven.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So anyone who bought the 20 dollar screen protector from Hori may want to get a refund. It appears those ones have an issue when the Switch heats up and the protector lifts itself off. The regular 10 dollar doesn't have this issue from the looks of things. I've played a poo poo ton of Zelda yesterday and it's still there.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The USB port also transmits the video signal.

Bombadilillo posted:

But since you talked about it already I guess its a settled matter and everything is forgiven.

:rolleyes:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

It wouldnt have been hard to engineer it with contacts like the wiiu tablet(which could dock and had an alternate charging port). So it worked in all 3 advertized play modes.

Pretty much this. No reason not to just have contacts on the bottom. Or allow the UI to flip upside down.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Bombadilillo posted:

I've already seen some early 3D printed stands, sure it sucks that they could have came up with a solution for all orientations but there's going to be a shitload of solutions out there with in a month or two.

Also the New Switch or whatever will probably address this

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Modus Pwnens posted:

The USB port also transmits the video signal.

:rolleyes:

I think everyone else is forgetting this detail in this discussion.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

I think everyone else is forgetting this detail in this discussion.

So then just put connection pins on the bottom of the unit and a single solid state switch that disables the top charging port when it's docked.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'll admit I don't know this in detail but relying on contact pins for a 1080p signal seems like a very bad idea

UntunedGuitar47
Nov 21, 2008
Protip: Instead of applying a crappy/ugly screenprotector, I took some 2x2cm adhesive feltpads (meant for sticking under table- or chairlegs or whathaveyou to not scratch up your hardwood floor or whatever) and stuck three of them beside each rail in the dock.

(sorry for the lovely picture, just so you can get an idea what it looks like)

They are high enough so they stick out like .5 mm past the rail and the Switch itself glides in there like a charm.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Nintendo should just release a new dock with the wall in front of the screen is only 1" or 2" tall and is just there to support the bottom of the console. Or have the USB-c plug on the the bottom of the dock on a swivel so you put the switch down and then it leans back a few degrees so it doesn't fall forward. Bam, same support with no screen scratching. They can still have air ports at the bottom too, plus air could travel in from the front and under the console to the air inlets on the back. The screen turns off anyway, so no need to have that wall. Much more like the WiiU cradle.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

I'll admit I don't know this in detail but relying on contact pins for a 1080p signal seems like a very bad idea

why? I have used contact pins in the past for 1080p signals before.

Edit* 1080p30 is 2MB/s. USB 2.0 is more than capable of handling it. Heck, this thing has USB 3.0.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

UntunedGuitar47 posted:

Protip: Instead of applying a crappy/ugly screenprotector, I took some 2x2cm adhesive feltpads (meant for sticking under table- or chairlegs or whathaveyou to not scratch up your hardwood floor or whatever) and stuck three of them beside each rail in the dock.

They are high enough so they stick out like .5 mm past the rail and the Switch itself glides in there like a charm.

This seems like it'd scratch up your screen even faster

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Also why are people trying to play in tabletop mode, aka the worst mode.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hace posted:

They shouldn't because you can't charge and play at the same time.

Also because the right thumbstick is in a bad position and cramps up your thumb.

Also the WiiU gamepad literally has a charging port on the top and contact pins on the bottom for charging as well. There was no excuse for this because they've already done it lmbo.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

why? I have used contact pins in the past for 1080p signals before.

Edit* 1080p30 is 2MB/s. USB 2.0 is more than capable of handling it. Heck, this thing has USB 3.0.

That sounds like super compressed Internet streaming bit rates, not that kind that's going to your TV from a local device.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Pretty much this. No reason not to just have contacts on the bottom. Or allow the UI to flip upside down.

Of course there's a reason. You don't have to agree with the solution they chose but it's not like they're just randomly placing things everywhere. Are you that lacking in imagination?

Flipping the screen would mean that users would have to the Switch in upside down, which is counterintuitive, and the main emphasis of the system is making that TV to portable to TV transition as smooth as possible. Just lift up the console and one second later you're playing it. When you're done just set it down. Everything about the design is about that experience.

Creating a port for charging outside the dock and separate ports for charging and audio/video in dock mode would increase the cost and reduce available space inside the unit for the battery.

I'm not saying Nintendo can do no wrong, but they aren't thoughtless.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ratbert90 posted:

They shouldn't because you can't charge and play at the same time.

Also because the right thumbstick is in a bad position and cramps up your thumb.

Also the WiiU gamepad literally has a charging port on the top and contact pins on the bottom for charging as well. There was no excuse for this because they've already done it lmbo.

The difference is that the Wii U Gamepad has an enormous amount of hollow space, look at a teardown of one. The Switch is packed tightly.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

Contact is contact. Maybe they are worried about it getting dirty or corroded over time. That's a valid concern but it would transmit the signal just as easily.

The magnetic usb c nubs you can stick in your phone that connect to a cable so you can't rip it out accidently transmit full speed just fine.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I cant wait for a $10 madcatz dock for secondary tv's

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the dock should have just been two cords

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

That sounds like super compressed Internet streaming bit rates, not that kind that's going to your TV from a local device.

USB2 is rated at 60MB/s. It would be just fine.

Modus Pwnens posted:

Of course there's a reason. You don't have to agree with the solution they chose but it's not like they're just randomly placing things everywhere. Are you that lacking in imagination?

Flipping the screen would mean that users would have to the Switch in upside down, which is counterintuitive, and the main emphasis of the system is making that TV to portable to TV transition as smooth as possible. Just lift up the console and one second later you're playing it. When you're done just set it down. Everything about the design is about that experience.

Creating a port for charging outside the dock and separate ports for charging and audio/video in dock mode would increase the cost and reduce available space inside the unit for the battery.

I'm not saying Nintendo can do no wrong, but they aren't thoughtless.

What? No, I meant just let the screen rotate if held upside down is all.
Also the amount of traces/copper needed to add another port is tiny. Have you ever laid a board out?

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 5, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Hace posted:

Its ok for short plays. My wife and I played snipperclips in bed last night, leaned it against my Sheikah Slate case since the kickstand doesn't work on a comforter. I can see putting it on the coffee table and playing if my kid wants to watch Mickey Mouse or whatever. So one of those stands that allows you to charge and play may be nice if you want to keep it on your computer desk to play if your TV is being occupied (and why spend $90 on another dock to play on a second TV... I'd spend $45 if it came with the adapter too).

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

but the fan exhaust is on the top, you don't want that facing downwards

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Hace posted:

Sorry, snuggling up and playing Snipperclips owns.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

ratbert90 posted:

Also the amount of traces/copper needed to add another port is tiny. Have you ever laid a board out?

But then you need two kickstands, one for each orientation

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Linx posted:

But then you need two kickstands, one for each orientation

Or you could just have dock pins and a usb port on top.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

ratbert90 posted:

Or you could just have dock pins and a usb port on top.

Jesus loving Christ I'm retarded

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

No I was saying yeah Internet streams are like 3mbit but that's wildly less than you're going to do over a 2m copper cable. Those suckers are rated at 10Gbits or more now, there's not a lot of reason to compress a stream over that kinda bandwidth. I wouldn't trust contact pins to maintain that over years of use.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

No I was saying yeah Internet streams are like 3mbit but that's wildly less than you're going to do over a 2m copper cable. Those suckers are rated at 10Gbits or more now, there's not a lot of reason to compress a stream over that kinda bandwidth. I wouldn't trust contact pins to maintain that over years of use.

I would and have. :shrug: This thing has USB3, it's more than capable of producing and transferring high-quality video with a huge bitrate. Heck, if you don't want pins on the bottom then just put another port on the bottom. But pins are fine and work fine.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

UntunedGuitar47 posted:

Bear in mind that felt can and will catch dust and debris over time which may also contribute to wear and tear in the long run. Might be worth considering to replace this felt every now and then as well.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I'm glad the right thumbstick doesn't cause me any hand pain.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm afraid of going into the Zelda thread because of spoilers.

If you haven't yet, go and try to rush the castle.
Goddamn.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I had to fight the temptation to go straight to Hyrule Castle, but I'm looking forward to watching people head straight there for a speedrun or something

I made it to Zora's Domain an hour ago though, after much dicking around early in the morning. This game is god drat amazing

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Inzombiac posted:

Goddamn.

I caved and started reading it, people are actually being really good about spoiler tags but ymmv.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Inzombiac posted:

Goddamn.

I got maybe 3/4 of the way there from the plateau and was rudely turned away by spoilery stuff.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm not touching the Zelda Thread same reason. For those wondering how the game is? It's a masterpiece.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dropping Zelda on the Wii U gives the Wii U credibility for having possibly one of the best games ever on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I just made a Japanese Nintendo Account and linked it to my Switch. Now how am I gonna go about adding funds so I can get Waku Waku 7 and Metal Slug 3? I'm operating under the impression that you can't just use a debit or credit card to buy what you want, but if anyone can point out otherwise, that'd be a big help

• Locked thread