Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So between Horizon and Doom the thing I'm taking away from this is that AAA game devs are dogshit at showing off how actually good their games are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

They managed to make 'climb a tower to reveal stuff on the map' actually seem cool and impressive.

Yeah I felt like I had actually accomplished something, it wasn't just "oh, there's a tower, push forward and hold R2 for a minute, done".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Mann posted:

So between Horizon and Doom the thing I'm taking away from this is that AAA game devs are dogshit at showing off how actually good their games are.

They don't make the trailers, the marketing guys do that, and they're morons.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

And that's why Mass Effect is the assured GotY

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I distinctly remember a Gauntlet Dark Legacy ad where the tagline was something like "You and 3 of your friends can go on a badass adventure, but the bad news is one of you has to be the chick". Which is not only the stupidest thing ever, but also inaccurate since the game had 8 initial playable characters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jay Rust posted:

If you dismantle the first two out of three locks, but find that you maybe don't have the correct item for the last one, when you return later you have to dismantle the first two all over again. It might only take ten to fifteen seconds but it's such a waste of time. It's just... bad.
You should be able to speed up already read text by holding B, unless my memory is failing me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Guy Mann posted:

The E3 reveal for Horizon was really good and the game continued to look good.

For an example of how you can make a AAA game look terrible, I refer you to Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I distinctly remember a Gauntlet Dark Legacy ad where the tagline was something like "You and 3 of your friends can go on a badass adventure, but the bad news is one of you has to be the chick". Which is not only the stupidest thing ever, but also inaccurate since the game had 8 initial playable characters.

Are you sure it wasn't gauntlet legends? Dark legacy was legends with double the content. Twice as many missions and twice and many base classes.

Also it was really fun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

Are you sure it wasn't gauntlet legends? Dark legacy was legends with double the content. Twice as many missions and twice and many base classes.

Also it was really fun.

I'm sure because the "chick" the ad referred to was the sorceress, and I remember thinking "what an unfortunate character design".

For whatever reason all the marketing of the game made it look like the new characters were the only playable ones, including the box art.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sure because the "chick" the ad referred to was the sorceress, and I remember thinking "what an unfortunate character design".

For whatever reason all the marketing of the game made it look like the new characters were the only playable ones, including the box art.

In Gauntlet the yellow character was always black, and if you played as a yellow dwarf it was Mr. T.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I just lost three hours playing Dynasty Warriors 8 and hearing Cao Cao preach about ambition in between blood baths. Well, blood baths are the wrong word since almost no one dies and the climactic finish was Guan Yu admitting defeat and turning into a beam of light.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Lurdiak posted:

Well when you show off the character it really is kind of a downside to play as her because Jesus Christ

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

In Gauntlet the yellow character was always black, and if you played as a yellow dwarf it was Mr. T.

Midway had a 'thing' for black people wearing yellow.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Well when you show off the character it really is kind of a downside to play as her because Jesus Christ

Yeah. The other skins aren't quite as bad as that one but they all fire kiss spells and have a really racist haitian/jamaican accent because Voodoo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

The E3 reveal for Horizon was really good and the game continued to look good.

For an example of how you can make a AAA game look terrible, I refer you to Mass Effect: Andromeda.

(I say this as someone who is definitely going to be playing it in a few weeks)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
It's a weird feeling to be in the middle of a great release schedule but afraid to buy games because you want to leave something for loved ones to get you for your birthday. I can only queue up so many Zelda videos and say "hmm, looks interesting" so many times before it becomes pathetic.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
can someone recommend me a wired PC controller with a really good d-pad? ideally something i can just plug in and use, idk if console controlelrs need specific drivers or w/e

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Xbone controller has a great dpad and it's plug-and-play.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cumhzt9-12o

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

CJacobs posted:

Xbone controller has a great dpad and it's plug-and-play.

Seconding this, I got one a couple months ago and I love it to bits.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Countblanc posted:

can someone recommend me a wired PC controller with a really good d-pad? ideally something i can just plug in and use, idk if console controlelrs need specific drivers or w/e

yes

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

In Training posted:

Does anybody know where the Saturn exclusive area in SOTN is?

It's a down-jump from like the first room if I'm remembering right. You can even see where it was supposed to be in the PSX version, but I forget if that spot is exit-only or not.

Also, it sucks. The Saturn exclusive bits were kinda pointless, just like the Tengu and the other fairy. :smith: Though the other fairy actually does something in the Saturn port: she sings you a song if you wait around for a while.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dewgy posted:

It's a down-jump from like the first room if I'm remembering right. You can even see where it was supposed to be in the PSX version, but I forget if that spot is exit-only or not.

That's where the entrance is yeah, right at the very start of the game. You have to enter the Lab area first before it opens up.

The other Saturn area is on the bottom route of the Marble Gallery, it just acts as a junction between two map pieces and is pretty pointless though.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

In Training posted:

You're allowed to be a sex criminal as long as you're also Jewish in the film world.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Also, it sucks. The Saturn exclusive bits were kinda pointless, just like the Tengu and the other fairy. :smith: Though the other fairy actually does something in the Saturn port: she sings you a song if you wait around for a while.

I'm curious to see it even though I've heard it sucks. Also I meant to check it out but instead just beat the game again. I couldn't figure out a way to see a map, if the Saturn version actually doesn't have a map that's nuts

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Start to bring up the menu, then hit L.

Saturn version is kinda rough by comparison to the PSX version. I actually like the Underground Garden but it does feel entirely pointless and tacked on.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ah thank you! Handy to know. The one thing it has over PSX version is Maria mode which was fun to try out but doesn't feel very essential either

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

Ah thank you! Handy to know. The one thing it has over PSX version is Maria mode which was fun to try out but doesn't feel very essential either

Yeah she's pretty much in line with Richter mode just being outrageously overpowered but kind of entertaining to play as once in a while.

It's been a while but don't you only have to fight Maria on the Saturn version as well?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

You're allowed to be a sex criminal as long as you're also Jewish in the film world.

If there's one thing Hollywood has taught us it's that ALL races are allowed to rape kids with no repercussion

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I went to get groceries and came back with a Ps4 Slim, so I have that now, I guess.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

cool breath of the wild easter egg i noticed: whenever link enters a shrine and it's a Major Test of Strength he'll do the grandpa simpson gif right back out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oddium posted:

cool breath of the wild easter egg i noticed: whenever link enters a shrine and it's a Major Test of Strength he'll do the grandpa simpson gif right back out

That's weird he doesn't do that on mine....

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is there anyone who has been pronouncing gerudo correctly in the past 20 years

I mean it's not a word that comes up often but

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Apparently I wasn't even pronouncing Hylian properly

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Everyone, video games are so good right now holy poo poo how are games this good

I have Horizon and Zelda going on already and both of them are amazing and Nier Automata is coming soon and holy poo poo video games

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

Everyone, video games are so good right now holy poo poo how are games this good

I have Horizon and Zelda going on already and both of them are amazing and Nier Automata is coming soon and holy poo poo video games

I'll have my top ten of 2017 by like, May at this rate

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'll have my top ten of 2017 by like, May at this rate

For sure:

Yakuza 0
RE 7
Horizon
DQ8 Remake

Probably:

Persona 5
Zelda

Maybe:

ME: Andromeda

So yeah that's 2/3 there just off the top of my head.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I stayed up until 5 AM this morning playing Zelda what the gently caress this game is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh holy poo poo Persona 5 is coming in a month too gently caress yes

If nothing else good comes out this year this'll be an incredible year for games already.

• Locked thread