Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I've read up on that comic. I don't think they share much other than Logan is old.

I guess the violence is a bit pandering, but overall it's like the least fan rousing comic book movie I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I've read up on that comic. I don't think they share much other than Logan is old.

I guess the violence is a bit pandering, but overall it's like the least fan rousing comic book movie I've ever seen.

You're really stretching to create a definition of pandering that somehow only includes a very specific film and nothing else.

You also have made multiple posts in this thread showing that you like being pandered to. So your complaint isn't that you dislike pandering but that you dislike pandering not aimed at you, specifically.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I honestly really don't. Just tell me a good story with an Alien in it. That's all I want. I even love Prometheus! I would be fine with more Prometheus' with weird Alien-like creatures so long as they had the aesthetic of Alien.

But I guess you caught me on something. I do like canon, and continuity. But on a character level. I don't care that Logan never brought up Days of Future Past, or when he stabbed Jean Grey in the gut. But what I do care about is that his character has been through all that and the weight still holds. This is the same Logan from X1- on wards. With every piece of that inside of him.

So with a character like Ripley, I could absolutely be kind of okay if they did one last film with her character. Giving her a better send off rather than Weaver's "I want out of this franchise, so kill me now" approach. But when you hint at the idea that Hicks and Newt are alive, and the film becomes a "passing of the torch film" it's a billion times less interesting, because the series isn't about Newt or Hicks. It's about themes that relate to both characters, but it's not about them. Adding them, after years of feeling let down with a direction the series went, doesn't make me hopeful for anything artistic. Because you're coming from a place of anger, rather than creative passion.

Anger can be useful. But not anger that they killed two fictional characters in 1992.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom, Help me out here, why are you so strongly defending a movie concept who's explicit intention is to retcon Alien3 out of existence, and feels like bad fan fiction?

People were (rightly) opposed to Alien Resurrection prior to release for similar reasons, it felt like a hamfisted attempt to keep Ripley in the story just because she's Ripley, despite a decade of comics and novels up to that point showing that you don't need her to tell a good story. The only saving grace with her inclusion was that they legitimately did interesting things with her character by having her be part-Alien, but there was no way for anyone to know that would be the case prior to release.

There were a bunch of other odd misconceptions in your earlier posts, but I'm in the midst of packing my house right now so I'll go back to them later today.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I honestly really don't. Just tell me a good story with an Alien in it.

That's pandering. You want to see more films with a creature you like and buy toys of in it instead of something new and entirely fresh.

Xenomrph posted:

ImpAtom, Help me out here, why are you so strongly defending a movie concept who's explicit intention is to retcon Alien3 out of existence, and feels like bad fan fiction?

Because the objection is that it's 'bad fanfiction' as if that means something to the franchise. What makes Newt and Hicks in an alt-telling bad fanfiction and not "Ripley fights a super-alien in a suit of powered armor"

The objection is never about the film, it is that people are worried the film they like will be non-canon and someone who likes something they don't will get a film they like. That's it. That is the entire objection.

This is a franchise that has multiple fights between Aliens and Predators, characters reappearing in almost every film (hi Bishop) and other bullshit. Complaining that it's too fanfictiony for you feels more like going "it's the WRONG KIND of fanfiction."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 5, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xenomrph posted:

Alien 3 isn't some unloved child being neglected by it's parent, 20th Century Fox. Blomkamp's theoretical movie wouldn't replace Alien 3 in the heart of it's production company. It will continue to exist and be enjoyable regardless of what movies are or aren't produced afterwards.

The worst thing that could happens is that Blomkamp makes a bad movie. Same as risk as any other film.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 5, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Alien 3 isn't some unloved child being neglected by it's parent, 20th Century Fox. Blomkamp's theoretical movie wouldn't replace Alien 3 in the heart of it's production company. It will continue to exist and be enjoyable regardless of what movies are or aren't produced afterwards.

The worst thing that could happens is that Blomkamp makes a bad movie.

Yes, pretty much this. If it is a bad movie fine, but going "it's bad because it MIGHT be bad" makes no sense., especially when Alien as a franchise has done good work with bad ideas and bad work with good ideas. The argument that it is 'pandering' makes no sense because yes, it is a long-time film franchise whose purpose exists to pander to fans who recognize the things in it. Every smart gun, every Ripley relative, every different variation on Xenomorph for new toys, every W-Y injoke, it's all pandering to fans. The question becomes if it is pandering you like or dislike and there's no less pandering if showing ~the origin of the Xenomorph~ or whatever else. It could be a bad film. It could be a good film. Odds are very good it wouldn't be the worst film in the Alien franchise.

But the reason people are so upset about it is that it impacts what is 'canon' and because they've built a weird sense of pride over making GBS threads on people about Alien 3 and they don't want to have that taken away from them. CelticPredator posted multiple "Yes, I am HAPPY Newt and Hicks are dead, hahaha" things earlier in the thread and that's what I mean. He doesn't want a 'new' Alien 3 because he can't do that anymore even though Alien 3 would still exist. It's not about the film, it's about the weirdo fandom ego built up over a controversial decision.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just like getting Hicks and Newt fans all angry. Not that I don't like them, but that being THE REASON why Alien 3 is so bad to them is silly poo poo.

As someone who adores that film, there are plenty of other reasons why it kinda sucks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I just like getting Hicks and Newt fans all angry. Not that I don't like them, but that being THE REASON why Alien 3 is so bad to them is silly poo poo.

As someone who adores that film, there are plenty of other reasons why it kinda sucks.

Who cares? If someone feels strongly enough about Alien 3's killing of characters that decades later it remains their #1 dislike of the film then that's not a fake or false emotion. It's no less silly than you getting upset at the idea of another film existing entirely because it does an alternate take on that 'silly poo poo.'

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

I honestly really don't. Just tell me a good story with an Alien in it. That's all I want. I even love Prometheus! I would be fine with more Prometheus' with weird Alien-like creatures so long as they had the aesthetic of Alien.

I thought that the creature design in Prometheus was generally poor with the exception of the trilobite, which I'd love to see more of. It's actually a little disappointing that thus far we've only seen creatures that are at most marginally larger than humans, it would be great to see much larger creatures appear in this franchise that invoke a similar sense of awe that the space jockey in Alien did. I'd like to see Ridley start playing with scale and show bizarre Giger-ish creatures that completely dwarf the cast.

CelticPredator posted:

I guess I'm the odd one out here in the sense that I thought killing Newt & Hicks was a great idea and Alien 3 is a brilliant film, but I would also really like to see an Alien movie made by Blomkamp. I don't think it's a good idea to retcon Alien 3 so we can have old man Hicks running around with Ripley and an older Newt, but I'm eager to see anything that Blomkamp does with the franchise because he's a good director with a superb eye for visual design that would fit the franchise perfectly.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Schwarzwald posted:

The worst thing that could happens is that Blomkamp makes a bad movie. Same as risk as any other film.

I agree with all of this. My problem with Blomkamp's premise isn't that it retcons Alien3, it's that it unnecessarily does so, in service of a plot who's premise sounds like bad fan fiction right out of the gate. When a movie's explicit intent is to give another movie the finger just because the director has a 20 year grudge, it puts a bad taste in my mouth.

I mean yeah, his movie could end up being awesome and then no one would care about what it does to "the canon", but the premise as he was describing is enough cause for concern.

It's kind of a moot point anyway, Blomkamp says the odds of his movie coming together are "slim".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I dunno dude, we're never going to see eye to eye on this. It just feels kind of pointless at this point and not even an interesting discussion.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ImpAtom posted:

Because the objection is that it's 'bad fanfiction' as if that means something to the franchise. What makes Newt and Hicks in an alt-telling bad fanfiction and not "Ripley fights a super-alien in a suit of powered armor"

This isn't a very reasonable comparison, Ripley fighting the alien queen in the power loader thing works because both because it shows that she's creative and brave enough to figure out a way to stop this thing from taking away her "daughter" a second time, but on top of that it also is cool on the level of her job skills, which both her and everyone around her thinks are useless, low class, whatever. Remember what first piques her interest in going along with the marines is that Burke will restore her revoked pilot license so she can have "real" work again. The entire endgame of the movie, of her overcoming her own trauma, being capped off with her fully embracing, and becoming super powerful because of, her new "unskilled" labor job, is awesome.

The latter was indevelopment because of people being vocal about Alien 3 being an awful movie because Hicks and Newt die in it.

I don't know, I'll always love the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 no matter how many spin offs/reboots/whatever happen, I just don't see why you think it's unreasonable for people to express skepticism about what Blomkamp wanted to do with the series. Like Xenomrph and I like I posted earlier, I mean in a post-Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3 world another Alien movie that's a retread of "let's blast some Aliens" is going to be tired and lame if all it has going for it is that Hicks and Newt are around.

Regardless of thoughts on Prometheus, I think Ridley Scott was right when he said the Alien as a general shape and concept is so saturated in culture that the base "there's an Alien stalking everyone" or "Oh my God.....TONS OF ALIENS!" are no longer going to be enough to cut it as the basis for a movie about them.

And to be honest, if Blomkamp had some real off the wall idea regarding that xenomorph suit or whatever concept art I'd probably be more receptive to his wanting an Alien 3 do over, but in his own words basically the entire inspiration and premise of the movie is "Actually, Hicks and Newt lived," which is not just pretty thin but also something we've already seen done in Dark Horse comics, that Colonial Marines game, etc.

I'm not a fan ( :haw: ) of the idea of calling stuff fan-fiction if it's literally an officially made movie and everything but again it's easy to see why in this particular case people would jump to that term, like a lot of those Dark Horse comics it creates the immediate vision of a soulless retread. If he actually gets to make the movie (I doubt it's going to happen now) and it ends up being good that'd be awesome, but I also have to think that if he really had something special on his hands, it'd be getting made right now instead of the chances of it being made at all being "slim" according to Blomkamp.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

This isn't a very reasonable comparison, Ripley fighting the alien queen in the power loader thing works because both because it shows that she's creative and brave enough to figure out a way to stop this thing from taking away her "daughter" a second time, but on top of that it also is cool on the level of her job skills, which both her and everyone around her thinks are useless, low class, whatever. Remember what first piques her interest in going along with the marines is that Burke will restore her revoked pilot license so she can have "real" work again. The entire endgame of the movie, of her overcoming her own trauma, being capped off with her fully embracing, and becoming super powerful because of, her new "unskilled" labor job, is awesome.

The latter was indevelopment because of people being vocal about Alien 3 being an awful movie because Hicks and Newt die in it

Don't you see the giant flaw in that argument? "The former is good because it was set up and made sense in the movie! The latter is bad because ???" You're beginning from the assumption that there is no possible good idea that can involve Hicks and Newt and therefore the only reason to do it is because people are loud.

Ripley in the power loader is set up well in the film but it also was born from the idea of an exciting and dramatic fight scene and one which on paper sounds exactly like fanfiction. It works because the movie is well made and within the context of the film it makes sense for it to happen but if it had been poorly executed or in a bad film then "and in this sequel to a tense horror movie the protagonist gets in a robot suit and boxes the giant super alien" would be a joke and not a well-remembered scene.

The problem is and remains that your assumption is that literally nobody ever had any idea for a film involving Hicks and Newt that is thematically appropriate and fitting and therefore the film would just be them standing around for 2 hours going "boy, sure is good we're alive. Yep, is very nice to be alive." For some reason for this argument, and this argument alone, it begins with the assumption that nobody has any ideas at all and anything they do will be completely mindless and have no thought put into it at all.

Like or dislike his movies, Blomkamp isn't really mindless. The assumption that he would get to do an Alien film and just go "oh okay here is 2 hours of Newt shooting an Alien in the face with absolutely no themes or concepts" is pretty hard to believe. You can say maybe he'd execute whatever he's going for badly but welcome to every movie and every director ever.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 5, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neo Rasa posted:

The latter was indevelopment because of people being vocal about Alien 3 being an awful movie because Hicks and Newt die in it.

I don't know, I'll always love the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 no matter how many spin offs/reboots/whatever happen, I just don't see why you think it's unreasonable for people to express skepticism about what Blomkamp wanted to do with the series. Like Xenomrph and I like I posted earlier, I mean in a post-Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3 world another Alien movie that's a retread of "let's blast some Aliens" is going to be tired and lame if all it has going for it is that Hicks and Newt are around.

Fox didn't consider making the movie because Hicks and Newt dying was some tragedy they have an obligation to address, and it seems premature to dismiss the (nonexistent) movie as a retread of "let's blast some Aliens" that "all it has going for it is that Hicks and Newt are around."

The movie doesn't exist. It might not ever exist. If it did exist, it might be bad. It might also be good!

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 5, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is and remains that your assumption is that literally nobody ever had any idea for a film involving Hicks and Newt that is thematically appropriate and fitting and therefore the film would just be them standing around for 2 hours going "boy, sure is good we're alive. Yep, is very nice to be alive." For some reason for this argument, and this argument alone, it begins with the assumption that nobody has any ideas at all.

If you read the rest of my post you'd see how I feel that way, but I'll repeat briefly: I can't help but think that if he really had a lot going on with it, it'd be actively in development now instead of being postponed indefinitely and probably being quietly forgotten about. There was a lot of excitement about this potential movie when Blomkamp revealed that those concept pieces were part of him actually being in talks with Fox/etc., but it went nowhere.

"For some reason for this argument," is happening because everyone posting here is a human being and it's literally not within the realm of human thought to be able to consistently have the exact same principles dictate the exact same take across every potential piece of pop culture a person encounters. That's just as valid a feeling as that of someone excited about seeing Hicks in action again.

I'll drop it now, I'm never going to understand why someone not being hyped for a movie for whatever reason is "a problem" for you or something that needs to be properly argued correctly or whatever.

Schwarzwald posted:

The movie doesn't exist. It might not ever exist. If it did exist, it might be bad. It might also be good!

Agreed, what I don't understand is ImpAtom saying that what you just posted, that that conversation, can't even be had because someone might not think the exact same way about every other movie they have ever seen or heard of.

Then again, how premature am I really being? Blomkamp released some of those concept pieces of haggard Hicks/etc., and said it was just some fun thing. Then a few months later it was announced that he was actively working with Fox on a new Alien movie because he was so upset that Hicks and Newt died. Then....whatever work was done on the movie was shelved. I know it's cynical of me but I have to think if he had something really good beyond that it'd still be getting made now and set to come out in like spring 2019 or whatever.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 5, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

If you read the rest of my post you'd see how I feel that way, but I'll repeat briefly: I can't help but think that if he really had a lot going on with it, it'd be actively in development now instead of being postponed indefinitely and probably being quietly forgotten about.

This is a bit unreasonable considering that it sounds like the reason it was delayed is because Ridley Scott was also working on an Alien film, not because they decided he sucks and is awful.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'll drop it now, I'm never going to understand why someone not being hyped for a movie for whatever reason is "a problem" for you or something that needs to be properly argued correctly or whatever.

I never said a single word that anyone is wrong for not being hyped. In fact you'll notice that I've been arguing literally the opposite, that mindless anti-hype for little reason is the problem.

"This movie looks bad because (X)" is fine. "This movie will be bad because I like seeing people who like Hicks/Newt unhappy" is just silly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 5, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's not mindless. I just actively hate the direction he was going in. That's really it. Like it could be good, but I'm not interested at all in his take if it's going to be a sequel to Aliens. I'm just not.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

Regardless of thoughts on Prometheus, I think Ridley Scott was right when he said the Alien as a general shape and concept is so saturated in culture that the base "there's an Alien stalking everyone" or "Oh my God.....TONS OF ALIENS!" are no longer going to be enough to cut it as the basis for a movie about them.

Funnily enough Prometheus was actually just going to be a standard Alien movie until Fox execs demanded that Ridley create new creatures for the film instead.

Neo Rasa posted:

Then again, how premature am I really being? Blomkamp released some of those concept pieces of haggard Hicks/etc., and said it was just some fun thing. Then a few months later it was announced that he was actively working with Fox on a new Alien movie because he was so upset that Hicks and Newt died. Then....whatever work was done on the movie was shelved. I know it's cynical of me but I have to think if he had something really good beyond that it'd still be getting made now and set to come out in like spring 2019 or whatever.

As far as I understand it, his pitch was accepted and Sigourney etc. were all on board to go, and the only thing that stopped the project was Ridley Scott stepping in and asking Fox to delay it because he wants to do his Prometheus sequels first. Apparently during production of Covenant they got a team together to create some kind of reference bible for the franchise as well, presumably to hand over to Blomkamp when the time comes for him to start the project. I've got a feeling from recent comments however that Blomkamp's already moved on and doesn't want to wait for Ridley to finish his trilogy, which is why he says the chances of the project now happening are slim.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It's not mindless. I just actively hate the direction he was going in. That's really it. Like it could be good, but I'm not interested at all in his take if it's going to be a sequel to Aliens. I'm just not.

Because, as you've stated repeatedly, you enjoy other people being unhappy and dislike something that is taking that away from you. That is why it's mindless. You know literally nothing about the proposed film beyond some concept art and "Hicks and Newt were back" but naturally you've decided it's bad because... oh right:

CelticPredator posted:

I'm in the minority you realize. More people love Aliens over Alien, so they want Blomkamp's idiotic fan fic idea to come true because they're still really really mad about something that happened 25 years ago.

Hicks and Newt are dead and loving it!

CelticPredator posted:

Alien 3 is good because it killed Hicks and Newt. Killed them deeeeaaaddd.

Followed by whining about pandering in the exact same thread as you posted your collection of alien action figures.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Alien 3 is already the ultimate example of a retcon. Like it literally says that ending of Aliens never happened because Hicks and Newt died on the way back to their home planet. They got poochied! Fincher then proceeds to poo poo on Cameron's film at every turn.

As a contrast, Alien Resurrection is loaded with Alien 3 references, functioning (to the extent that it does) as a surreal companion piece.

Complaints about pandering are impossible to take seriously when people are breathlessly reposting the latest promotional corporate tweets.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You're all really missing the point though--Alien 3 already has been paved over by subsequent releases. Alien: Resurrection completely ignores it.

The Blomkamp project is probably dead, but he hasn't made a bad movie yet despite being given plenty of rope to hang himself on ambitious productions.

I would encourage people not to think small. In less capable hands, these Alien prequels that Scott is making would be deadly to sit through.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ImpAtom posted:

=

Followed by whining about pandering in the exact same thread as you posted your collection of alien action figures.

Hey here's some more just for you!

Paxton related.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neo Rasa posted:

Can you link to wherever Blomkamp said that? I'm not doubting you, I just don't follow those things that closely and want to be on the same page.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

dont even fink about it posted:

You're all really missing the point though--Alien 3 already has been paved over by subsequent releases. Alien: Resurrection completely ignores it.

The Blomkamp project is probably dead, but he hasn't made a bad movie yet despite being given plenty of rope to hang himself on ambitious productions.

I would encourage people not to think small. In less capable hands, these Alien prequels that Scott is making would be deadly to sit through.
Resurrection specifically references Ripley's death, etc.

CelticPredator posted:

Hey here's some more just for you!

Paxton related.

Are they battling it out in Tech-Noir from 'The Terminator'?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Can you link to wherever Blomkamp said that? I'm not doubting you, I just don't follow those things that closely and want to be on the same page.

This mostly (video but a lot of it us transcripted under):
http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/03/04/how-district-9-director-neill-blomkamp-got-the-alien-gig

He says outright that he wanted to do it just to erase Alien 3 and have the story go the way he thinks it should have after Aliens. This leaves me torn because I love everything he's directed A LOT, and the politics we see in his movies and his ability to mix fun action into situations that are pretty hosed up and hit close to home for many makes him like, an ideal person to direct an Alien flick. Like I'd kill for a Blomkamp Alien movie where he can go really crazy with it abd of course hope that's what happens. Just from what little information exists I'm not optimistic he had much more of a concept for it than that.

As far as it's production status, the official reason was that they didn't want to "confuse people" regarding two different Alien movies coming out just a year and a half/two years apart, but that seemed like a bs reason to me. Like as if people would roll into the Young Han Solo movie and be angry that Kylo Ren isn't in it or something. I can't help but think it didn't work out in ways beyond marketing coordination and Ridley Scott also making movies.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As a contrast, Alien Resurrection is loaded with Alien 3 references, functioning (to the extent that it does) as a surreal companion piece.

I want to hear more about this!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

General Battuta posted:

The one guy who survived Alien 3, Morse wrote a best selling book about his experiences (hilariously canonically titled Space Beast, like Alien's original working title Star Beast) which was read by Call and was how she knew about Ripley/a little about the aliens. Also everything in the movie is brown gray, or green like Alien 3 except the Newborn but it's white and only shows up at the end to kill everyone like Alien 3's bulky white clad dudes. In the beginning there's a part where she sees a picture of a little girl and that makes her sad, much like how she is sad about a little girl in the beginning of Aliens extended and in the beginning of Alien 3.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also they explicitly reference getting the DNA from Fiorina 161 on ice.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

From her shaved head and pubic hairs no less.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Blompkins poo poo formula is so tired and bland at this point the last thing I want him doing is an Alien movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Blompkins poo poo formula is so tired and bland at this point the last thing I want him doing is an Alien movie.

Sir this is a Starbucks.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Eh, just do a simple low-ish budget Alien movie set on earth, with great practical effects, in a Looper-esque near-future suburb/city setting that is true to the style and design of the first one. The original Alien was plenty creepy even if there was only one of it. It does not need to be transmitted by spores, a bio-mechanical suit, or the origin of humanity. Just do a good monster movie in a location unique for the franchise (I am not counting AVP for poo poo).

Explain the "why not just get on the first bus out of there" by either having a cop investigating the deaths ala Predator 2 follow the Alien around, or have the Alien follow a main character unwittingly impregnated with an Alien Queen around ala Alien 3. Originality is overrated and probably does not exist, just make a good franchise movie ala The Force Awakens.

This is a franchise torn between awful Paul W. S. Anderson box-office filler and pretentious ego-projects from Ridley Scott. At this point I'd rather have the soft reboot.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 6, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

From her shaved head and pubic hairs no less.
I don't think that's accurate but I'd have to check the novelization and the Weyland Yutani Report to be sure.

Speaking of which, the WY Report points out that a lot of Dr Gediman's (Brad Dourif) official reports to his superiors were submitted in the form of bizarre haikus. :v:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

General Battuta posted:

Ripley 8's arm tattoo and the scene where Call plugs a bible into her arm are both references to the drug injection scene in Alien 3. The scene where she gets absorbed into the alien goo is also a reference to her fall into the molten metal. Ripley destroying the specimen tanks with a flamethrower is a reference to the fire in the escape pod. The entire encounter with the 'newborn' is Ripley seeking forgiveness from a ghoulish zombie version of Newt (who, of course, still ends up cut open - organs on display).

Resurrection is basically two films: one this kaleidoscopic remix of Alien 3 imagery, and the other a Joss Whedon movie about 'funny' space pirates.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

I don't remember, but did people get this bent out of shape when Superman Returns basically said that Superman 3 and 4 didn't happen?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I don't think that's accurate but I'd have to check the novelization and the Weyland Yutani Report to be sure.

Speaking of which, the WY Report points out that a lot of Dr Gediman's (Brad Dourif) official reports to his superiors were submitted in the form of bizarre haikus. :v:

No need to check something that's said explicitly in both versions of the film.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sir Nose posted:

I don't remember, but did people get this bent out of shape when Superman Returns basically said that Superman 3 and 4 didn't happen?

No, at the time people were really excited.

And then it turned out nobody liked Superman Returns.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

superman returns looks much better now than it did on release.

Sir Nose posted:

i hate to defend resurrection but superman 4 is on a whole notha level of bad. the production is way more interesting than the actual movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Allen western set on a colony world where the local company officer has to rally the locals against a nest of xenomorphs that survived a research vessel crash