Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I've got 5D thrusters on my AspX and going G1 Clean Drive tuning has really perked them up and made the craft more manoeuvrable. It's also made scooping better due to reducing heat output.

If I go G2 Clean Drive tuning will this further reduce heat output when scooping, or will it start to go the other way and generate more heat since Clean Drive G2 is more powerful than Clean Drive G1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

apropos man posted:

I've got 5D thrusters on my AspX and going G1 Clean Drive tuning has really perked them up and made the craft more manoeuvrable. It's also made scooping better due to reducing heat output.

If I go G2 Clean Drive tuning will this further reduce heat output when scooping, or will it start to go the other way and generate more heat since Clean Drive G2 is more powerful than Clean Drive G1?

It's reduced heat output in general, not just scooping. The heat efficiency gets better the higher grade of clean drives you do.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Wow! So I can get Felicity to go full-on crazy G3 Clean and it will reduce heat even further?

The AspX is only my workhorse ship, so I just wanna keep it nice to fly, but if there are no drawbacks I might aswell get it G3'd.

Pity I've just left Deciat and I'm on my way across the bubble. I might stop at Elvira on the way.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 4, 2017

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Stacking those missions in Quince is working really well and you guys are awesome for that suggestion. However, the only imperial rank-up mission I get now is a 420ly covert delivery of illegal goods mission. These are a huge pain. Is there a different type of mission out there, or specific system where the rank-up missions are trivially easy? I don't think I can stomach transiting that delivery mission back and forth for 8 ranks.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Keep doing Quince missions. Your rank will increase behind the 100%. Wait for a not-poo poo rank up mission to come up. You will not lose efficiency.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GKGn6Z3RfE

An ode to everyone's favorite official forums.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Blind Rasputin posted:

Stacking those missions in Quince is working really well and you guys are awesome for that suggestion. However, the only imperial rank-up mission I get now is a 420ly covert delivery of illegal goods mission. These are a huge pain. Is there a different type of mission out there, or specific system where the rank-up missions are trivially easy? I don't think I can stomach transiting that delivery mission back and forth for 8 ranks.

You don't have to do rank up missions. Just grind the gently caress out for a while and then go do a bunch of rank up missions in the bubble where easier ones spawn.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

K8.0 posted:

You don't have to do rank up missions. Just grind the gently caress out for a while and then go do a bunch of rank up missions in the bubble where easier ones spawn.

Yeah, I'm gathering that. This is good money too. Hilariously fast. I was just wondering if anyone had a system they knew of that spawned easy empire rank up missions. I only need 5 more ranks for that beautiful clipper.

Also, do goons still have a system we were working from to expand our own little faction?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

3 posted:

Were the vocals meant to be so right side dominant? Also getting all the instrumental on the left. I think the soundstage isn't balanced.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

DancingShade posted:

Were the vocals meant to be so right side dominant? Also getting all the instrumental on the left. I think the soundstage isn't balanced.

The 1960s stereo masters were set up that way, so it's a deliberate homage.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

3 posted:

That explains it. It sounded so deliberate I thought I might be missing something.

Sorry should give some feedback I guess - it's great and I love the tune.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Blind Rasputin posted:

Also, do goons still have a system we were working from to expand our own little faction?

We sure do! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773251&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

3 posted:

Oh man, I didn't know this! I was always wondering why that one Beatles-Song I like to listen to sounds like that.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Not sure why, but somehow, I want to make the Keelback work. (I am also suffering from the productive type of insomnia. Finished the Sirius rep grind.)

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

3 posted:

This is the best thing.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I just skimmed this thread a bit and :stare::stare::stare:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k7LUboqCfIk

Am I.. playing this game wrong? Am I playing like only 1/10th of this game and totally ignorant of some level of awesomeness that all you guys are imbibing?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Blind Rasputin posted:

Am I.. playing this game wrong? Am I playing like only 1/10th of this game and totally ignorant of some level of awesomeness that all you guys are imbibing?

According to the forumdads, everyone is playing the game wrong.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, so I have what is potentially a really dumb question. I played this game for a bit years ago and just reinstalled it and logged in with my old account. But when I click open join it puts my in Solo Mode, which as far as I can tell is a tutorial, and I have none of my old gear.

Did they do a wipe or something? Or is this their way of saying I haven't played in too long and my stuff will likely be there when I do whatever I need to do to leave Solo Mode?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I didn't realize this, but apparently you're stuck in solo mode until you make your first frameshift jump. So... basically just plot a course anywhere, and you should be able to get into Open Play.

It sounds like your character was reset, though. Have you played since the launch of the gamma test in Dec. 2014? The pre-release beta tests got reset, but anything from gamma onward should still exist. If it doesn't, you could try putting in a support ticket with Frontier to see if they can figure out what happened.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Is this worth getting when it's cheap on Steam or is it only worth playing when you invest a lot of time in it and buy all expansions? Thanks!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I didn't realize this, but apparently you're stuck in solo mode until you make your first frameshift jump. So... basically just plot a course anywhere, and you should be able to get into Open Play.

It sounds like your character was reset, though. Have you played since the launch of the gamma test in Dec. 2014? The pre-release beta tests got reset, but anything from gamma onward should still exist. If it doesn't, you could try putting in a support ticket with Frontier to see if they can figure out what happened.

Thanks for the answer. I remember the name Gamma so I thought it was from then, but could have been before. No problem, I didn't have much.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Blind Rasputin posted:

You should probably join the Frogs.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Is this worth getting when it's cheap on Steam or is it only worth playing when you invest a lot of time in it and buy all expansions? Thanks!

The game is fun, but it takes time to get better ships and then even more time to get the best engineered modules for your ships. But it's the best spaceship game we're going to have for the foreseeable future because star citizen is never going to be a thing

That said, it doesn't take long to get into a ship that is fun to fly and that you can enjoy the game in.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Krycek posted:

That said, it doesn't take long to get into a ship that is fun to fly and that you can enjoy the game in.

Yeah, so far I've been having the most fun with my Viper Mk. IV (light combat craft good for RES grinding, combat zones) and my Asp Explorer (exploration, medium trading) and they're both early-mid game ships. The Viper costs less than a million creds to get started even.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's often overlooked but the Diamondback Scout is ridiculously capable for the price.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

DancingShade posted:

It's often overlooked but the Diamondback Scout is ridiculously capable for the price.

This is the loving TRUTH

Vorlonesque
Sep 18, 2005

Killing planets since 1876

DancingShade posted:

Yeah, that was one of my first big goals beyond getting my free Eagle (and enough cash for a lot of reviews) and getting it upgraded. The DBS was loving great...I loaded it with two small laser beams and two medium cannons and took on all kinds of poo poo. I ended up going back to my Eagle with Enhanced Thrusters and eventually ended up in my decently engineered I.Courier but I still look fondly on the DBS.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
:mmmhmm: @ DBS lovings.

That said, I've fallen into decadence with my all-beams Imperial Cutter.

Bask In My Glory

:pcgaming:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
That's some good basking.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Morter posted:

Bask In My Glory

:swoon:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

StarkRavingMad posted:

You should probably join the Frogs.

Might after I finish this quince grind.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Morter posted:

:mmmhmm: @ DBS lovings.

That said, I've fallen into decadence with my all-beams Imperial Cutter.

Bask In My Glory

:pcgaming:

It looks really impressive, but do high-level beams really do enough damage to hull that throwing in a burst or two wouldn't be better?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Breetai posted:

It looks really impressive, but do high-level beams really do enough damage to hull that throwing in a burst or two wouldn't be better?

While I'm very certain this isn't the most effective loadout:

1) It's pretty as gently caress

2) Symmetry

3) With 7 beams, a fighter (with beams) and ramming capabilities, PvE has yet to be an issue unless I'm outnumbered by a wing of heavier ships. So I'm happy with it. v:kiddo:v

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Don't need optimal when it's fun as gently caress.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I haven't played this game in like a year and rebooted it today, and I'm a bit confused about this whole planet landing thing.

I have a planetary landing suite on my ship, so everything online says that means I should be enabled for the expansion, probably from my beta purchase. Yet I can't seem to get closer than 160km to any planet? :confused:

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

mrmcd posted:

I haven't played this game in like a year and rebooted it today, and I'm a bit confused about this whole planet landing thing.

I have a planetary landing suite on my ship, so everything online says that means I should be enabled for the expansion, probably from my beta purchase. Yet I can't seem to get closer than 160km to any planet? :confused:

Are you playing with the Horizons client?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Maybe not.

I have Elite Dangerous 32 and 64 bit, plus Commanders Beta 32 + 64.

No Horizons though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Also make sure it's a planet you can land on. In maps it'll have a blue almost-circle around them, and in your left panel there will be blue icons next to them--and their listing will disappear if you filter out 'Landfall Planets & Moons'

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Morter posted:

Also make sure it's a planet you can land on. In maps it'll have a blue almost-circle around them, and in your left panel there will be blue icons next to them--and their listing will disappear if you filter out 'Landfall Planets & Moons'

Yeah these are blue planets.

I would guess I don't own Horizons because maybe I was only in beta not super special beta, but somehow I got planetary approach modules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Morter posted:

While I'm very certain this isn't the most effective loadout:

1) It's pretty as gently caress

2) Symmetry

3) With 7 beams, a fighter (with beams) and ramming capabilities, PvE has yet to be an issue unless I'm outnumbered by a wing of heavier ships. So I'm happy with it. v:kiddo:v

How distributor limited is it? Looks like a blast

• Locked thread