Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Spellman posted:

Dropping Zelda on the Wii U gives the Wii U credibility for having possibly one of the best games ever on it

The Wii U literally has all the zeldas. Except the CDI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I've heard a few go why would did Nintendo even sell the Wii u version and that made me laugh.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

and the gameboy ones game boi

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I think that is what you actually do.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tempted to sell my Sheikah case and buy the city slicker. Feel like as cool as the zelda case is, its something I would feel weird whipping out on an plane/train/automobile.

I think I've gotten 20 hours into Zelda this weekend. And it doesn't feel like. And I'm still overwhelmed by choosing what to do. And I literally haven't traveled West in any capacity yet. Like, on my way to the non-beast related story marker early on I saw an interesting looking pond and went to check it out, which led to a ridge, which led to a canyon, which led to a jungle, which led to a road, which led to a town, which led to a beach, which led to a boat, which led to an island, which took a while to clear and oh god did I just take a 6 hour detour?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

Tempted to sell my Sheikah case and buy the city slicker. Feel like as cool as the zelda case is, its something I would feel weird whipping out on an plane/train/automobile.

I think I've gotten 20 hours into Zelda this weekend. And it doesn't feel like. And I'm still overwhelmed by choosing what to do. And I literally haven't traveled West in any capacity yet. Like, on my way to the non-beast related story marker early on I saw an interesting looking pond and went to check it out, which led to a ridge, which led to a canyon, which led to a jungle, which led to a road, which led to a town, which led to a beach, which led to a boat, which led to an island, which took a while to clear and oh god did I just take a 6 hour detour?

The correct way to play the game. Skyrim was the same when it came out.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Does the switch have any of the social things like the 3ds? Streetpass and whatnot

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm staying out of the Zelda thread for spoiler, but does anyone know how frequently you can scan in amiibo? I feel like while the Link, Rider, Zelda, and Bokoglin giving solid weapons will do some interesting things for speed runs, if the Guardian amiibo really does give arrows and cores, I feel like that is a potentially degenerate way to farm those items that are otherwise fairly difficult to come across or how having a single ancient arrow helps speed runners with being able to take out a Guardian on their route.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Consummate Professional posted:

Does the switch have any of the social things like the 3ds? Streetpass and whatnot

Nope it's very bare bones at the moment, even the eshop is run by a skeleton crew.

It's expected that a lot more will get patched in over time, probably whenever they add the online subscription thing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I just made a Japanese Nintendo Account and linked it to my Switch. Now how am I gonna go about adding funds so I can get Waku Waku 7 and Metal Slug 3? I'm operating under the impression that you can't just use a debit or credit card to buy what you want, but if anyone can point out otherwise, that'd be a big help

Reports claim that some credit/debit cards will actually work internationally but it seems to be a case-by-case basis related to where you are and what kind of card you're using. You can try linking your card to your foreign eShop account and give it a try, but if you get the "Make sure your details are correct" error then you're not going to be able to.

In the event that your card wont work, you'll have to buy pre-paid eShop cards and boy are those marked up. Here's a link to Play-Asia's Japanese eShop pre-paid cards. They seem to be all out of actual digital codes and are selling physical cards at the moment, so you're not only going to have to pay for card mark-up but for shipping of the physical card too. Better make those yen count! If someone else has a link to a reputable site selling digital Japanese eShop cards, I'd appreciate a link.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

I'm staying out of the Zelda thread for spoiler, but does anyone know how frequently you can scan in amiibo?

Once a day

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I also am staying out of the Zelda thread because I don't have the game yet. I have a special edition supposedly arriving at Walmart this week. I'm still on the fence about canceling it because I can't decide if the case is really cool or really lame.

For anyone with the DLC, mind spoiling the chests you get on the plateau? If it's just like rupees and that Switch shirt I think I'll actively avoid it. I dunno I think my first playthrough should be fresh.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

I also am staying out of the Zelda thread because I don't have the game yet. I have a special edition supposedly arriving at Walmart this week. I'm still on the fence about canceling it because I can't decide if the case is really cool or really lame.

For anyone with the DLC, mind spoiling the chests you get on the plateau? If it's just like rupees and that Switch shirt I think I'll actively avoid it. I dunno I think my first playthrough should be fresh.

A single ruby, 5 bomb arrows, and the Switch T-Shirt. That's it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
HORI made this stand thing to play in tabletop mode while charging and also adjusting the angle of the screen if that's a thing I guess

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9RTMWS

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Once a day

Danke. So not enough to replace farming, but if you're ging to take a month or two to get through this it will add up and help over time.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I just made a Japanese Nintendo Account and linked it to my Switch. Now how am I gonna go about adding funds so I can get Waku Waku 7 and Metal Slug 3? I'm operating under the impression that you can't just use a debit or credit card to buy what you want, but if anyone can point out otherwise, that'd be a big help

Amazon.co.jp sells digital codes. I'm phone posting or I'd link, but just search "Nintendo Point" and a bunch should pop up in 1000 yen increments. You may need a Japanese address, which you can get by creating a free account at tenso.com

If so, it's a few extra steps, but you only have to do it once, and you won't be paying any fees aside from that on your credit card.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nephzinho posted:

Danke. So not enough to replace farming, but if you're ging to take a month or two to get through this it will add up and help over time.

You can scan in each amiibo once a day. So if you're like me, and have all the figurines and all the cards, you can easily scan in over 500 things a day.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

jivjov posted:

You can scan in each amiibo once a day. So if you're like me, and have all the figurines and all the cards, you can easily scan in over 500 things a day.

In the last 2 years, how much have you spent on Nintendo produced items?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

jivjov posted:

A single ruby, 5 bomb arrows, and the Switch T-Shirt. That's it.

That sounds... Not really worth caring about either way. Thanks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why are people still making the "it doesn't have madden so no one will want it" argument? If you think Switch is going to be a main console, you probably don't know anything about Nintendo.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

it owns. i love my wii u

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fly with me posted:

In the last 2 years, how much have you spent on Nintendo produced items?

More than I spent on my first car.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I was having an issue were my switch was favoring one of my neighbors WiFi signals over mine. Every time I turned on the console I would need to go into my Internet options and re connect to my router.

I was getting tired of needing to do this every time I turned my switch on so I went back into the Internet options and selected my neighbors signal and set auto connect to off.

Now when I log on, my switch choses my router every time so if anyone else is having this issue thats how I fixed it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Cojawfee posted:

Why are people still making the "it doesn't have madden so no one will want it" argument? If you think Switch is going to be a main console, you probably don't know anything about Nintendo.

If Nintendo doesn't want the switch to be everyone's #1 console that's a pretty big fundamental problem at their company.

The reason people have adopted their consoles as a side bit to their PS4s and Xboxes is because of Nintendo's previous failures and engagement gap.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

jivjov posted:

Dont the non-BOTW amiibo just give you basic food/rupees?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Man I just did a shrine in Breath of the Wild called "A moderate combat challenge" where I went through four bows and three fairies and like five melee weapons and won with half a heart left. Then I saw another shrine and worked my way to it, and the name of it was "A Major Combat Challenge" so I noped out of there pretty fast.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CfFnLoiLqk

The original Link Smash Bros amiibo will give you Epona on the first scan (Make sure you stable him straight away or you'll lose him if he dies, as he's a 1-time scan) after that you get items/armour/etc

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Harlock posted:

If Nintendo doesn't want the switch to be everyone's #1 console that's a pretty big fundamental problem at their company.

The reason people have adopted their consoles as a side bit to their PS4s and Xboxes is because of Nintendo's previous failures and engagement gap.

I wouldn't call the Wii a failure

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Harlock posted:

Nintendo wants the Switch to be someone's Nintendo console. If they wanted to be a main console, they would have made an xbox or playstation. They made a Nintendo console and it might as well be a separate thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nephzinho posted:

Random supplies. It's not much, but if you have a whole bunch to scan...

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

parallelodad posted:

Man I just did a shrine in Breath of the Wild called "A moderate combat challenge" where I went through four bows and three fairies and like five melee weapons and won with half a heart left. Then I saw another shrine and worked my way to it, and the name of it was "A Major Combat Challenge" so I noped out of there pretty fast.

Hey I just did that one too though I only burned through 2 weapons a bow and a couple foods. I took my time with it though sounds like you wailed on it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Brickseek has failed me. Says my Wal-Mart has 9 consoles and the guy in electronics said they haven't had any all day. Every store around me is sold out. Sometimes I hate living in a small town.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
my wife is dead set on getting this after seeing some commercials, so to save me some disappointment, is this thing basically an underpowered iphone like it looks like?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Zo posted:

my wife is dead set on getting this after seeing some commercials, so to save me some disappointment, is this thing basically an underpowered iphone like it looks like?

What game on the app store rivals Breath of the Wild?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Harlock posted:

What game on the app store rivals Breath of the Wild?

Obviously Candy Crush.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Zo posted:

Yes, that's exactly what it's like. You probably don't want one. Move along...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zo posted:

It can't even make phone calls. Stay away.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Oh, and I didn't really like the look of the Pro going into the weekend but holy poo poo if this isn't one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used. Going to replace my 360 pad on my PC with one of these. If you're on the fence, get it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Any news about when the next shipment will be hitting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

chaleski posted:

I wouldn't call the Wii a failure

The Wii is practically the definition of Pyrrhic victory.

• Locked thread