Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Workin on a new tileset

(where's everyone gone?)

Man, I'm really digging the colors in this one. You're really good at capturing something about old NES games that a lot of newer pixel artists miss. I'm not sure if it's just bright colors on black, or what, but I love it. I've been working on a new tileset myself, but it still needs a few more doodads and tweaks before I can make something cohesive-looking.

In the meantime, I will try very hard to add content to the thread. Here's some asset tests that move just a little bit! Custom text boxes!

(I've been trying to get better at coding recently)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Shoehead posted:

Workin on a new tileset

(where's everyone gone?)

I've been seeing a lot of good work in the NES palette recently and it's surprising how good of a result is possible.
I'm nearly finished my first rough tabletop game prototype that uses those greyscale assets I've been posting. It's all page layout stuff and putting stickers on cards so not too exciting in terms of progress. I'll post some photos when this physical draft is complete.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I didn't like my old Data Golem sprite:

Revised:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody have strong opinions on iPad pixel art apps? I want something I can mess around with at work. Sprite Something and Pixaki look the most promising, anybody used either of those?

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 19, 2017

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

These are tight. These characters and their thoughts are cool but also i like the ground textures in the first one a LOT

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Lots of really good stuff in this thread! I really like your stuff Rinski, gives me a really Alien sort of feeling when i look at it.

I haven't had as much time as i did in the past to pursue my art, in whatever form it may take, but i have updated some of my older map stuff:

Apologies if it's too small, it's already pretty large so i'm hesistant to blow it up, if need be just right click and click "View image" and that should allow you to see the details without it being blurry.

And here's the old one for contrast:

I tried to fix the perspective issue with the walls, especially the building interior ones, dulled the grass colours, kept object's brighter to make them pop out, redid the walls to make them less boring.

I'm thinking the boxes are too dark, or at least the wood shade is, but i really didn't want to risk them not standing out from the wooden floors.

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 20, 2017

barge
Jun 12, 2006

Wanted to play around with pixel art and animation after a while so I made these for president's day. Aseprite is so much fun but I kinda wanna find something that can handle dithering

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm making a thing about some very good dogs and trying to do pixel art portraits. This is my first attempt and it's OK but I feel like it's somehow the big blocks of single colour don't blend too well and I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Tips and advice on improvement would be appreciated!

e: scaled-up version for easier pixel peeping

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 22, 2017

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Scut posted:

Data Golem

This is really cool. I'm a sucker for modernizing traditional fantasy creatures.

barge posted:

Wanted to play around with pixel art and animation after a while so I made these for president's day. Aseprite is so much fun but I kinda wanna find something that can handle dithering

You could have had a lucrative career in the early 90s clipart scene. These are great and... surprisingly nostalgic.

This is great, and I've enjoyed seeing how your style has evolved over time. By "boxes," do you mean the soldiers' pedestals? I think they stand out well enough.

big scary monsters posted:

I'm making a thing about some very good dogs

A noble endeavor. Regarding the dog, it looks really good and photorealistic. The only part that even looks slightly off to me are the interiors of its ears, because the browns are so bright it doesn't make them look concave. Then again, I also don't know a ton about dogs!

To add... something to the thread, here's a thing I drew during a drink & draw meetup. I don't know why I drew an early 00's emo kid in an emo house on top of a body horror platform, but if you start at the bottom and work your way up it's like an accurate measure of my blood alcohol level over time.

rinski fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 24, 2017

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

big scary monsters posted:

I'm making a thing about some very good dogs and trying to do pixel art portraits. This is my first attempt and it's OK but I feel like it's somehow the big blocks of single colour don't blend too well and I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Tips and advice on improvement would be appreciated!

I think you should just experiment. This already looks very good. One suggestion I'd make is hunt down single pixels and see if you can eliminate them or add neighbors so that they become a cluster.

Anyone else want to pixel puppers?

barge
Jun 12, 2006

rinski posted:

To add... something to the thread, here's a thing I drew during a drink & draw meetup. I don't know why I drew an early 00's emo kid in an emo house on top of a body horror platform, but if you start at the bottom and work your way up it's like an accurate measure of my blood alcohol level over time.

The textures you use are really cool and alien looking, especially when there are load of different ones all in one screen like some of those earlier shots.

Just curious, is the greyscale a placeholder you're planning on coloring or are you sticking with it? Kind of hoping it stays because it looks neat with the only colors being character outlines on top of the grey

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

barge posted:

The textures you use are really cool and alien looking, especially when there are load of different ones all in one screen like some of those earlier shots.

Just curious, is the greyscale a placeholder you're planning on coloring or are you sticking with it? Kind of hoping it stays because it looks neat with the only colors being character outlines on top of the grey

It's going to be greyscale with splashes of color for information purposes. Since you mentioned the texture, I'll point you in the direction of my main inspiration and actual artist, Laurie Lipton. She makes greyscale nightmares in charcoal and her detail work is insane.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hi thread, the something awful best dog invitational has started and we need to win!

I feel that real strongly.

As creative convention we are obviously best at creating poo poo. Obviously.

So make the best pixel art dog and post it in that thread by 3 March. Great will be your glory!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Incredible timing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Scut posted:

Incredible timing.

ikr!

Zarkas
Feb 26, 2017

For the lulz

rinski posted:

It's going to be greyscale with splashes of color for information purposes. Since you mentioned the texture, I'll point you in the direction of my main inspiration and actual artist, Laurie Lipton. She makes greyscale nightmares in charcoal and her detail work is insane.

Love your art style! Did you follow any online tutorials or was it self taught with a lot of practice?

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Zarkas posted:

Love your art style! Did you follow any online tutorials or was it self taught with a lot of practice?

I appreciate it! I don't really know what I'm doing, but here's my Artistic Process™: 1.) I read tutorials or ask the fine folks of this thread for help, 2.) Since I'm a dummy and have trouble understanding good advice, it echoes around in my head like meaningless noise while I brute force something that looks ok. 3.) I start changing small groups of pixels, scrutinizing how it looks, changing another few pixels, undoing it, etc., and after mere hours I finally understand what everyone was telling me to do in the first place.

Each loop gets slightly faster, and I've been repeating this process for oh god it's been three years a while!

Speaking of drawing a thing, I made a dog for sebmojo's thread which I shall crosspost here for thread introverts.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fantastic doggo, nice work!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

What you're doing is really interesting. It isn't exactly polished on a technical level but you are achieving a really distinctive and appealing look.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

A wagging-tail neon sign for the ultimate in dog housing!

My entry for top dog is Rolf

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Scut posted:

My entry for top dog is Rolf

I like Rolf. A good dog that keeps chaotic butterflies in check. Something about your style and use of colors reminds me of mid-90s DOS games that I saw but never got a chance to play. I like it.

Scarodactyl posted:

What you're doing is really interesting. It isn't exactly polished on a technical level but you are achieving a really distinctive and appealing look.

Yeah, for some reason art techniques are weirdly hard for me to internalize. Hopefully through practice and persistence they'll keep slowly sinking in over time. Honestly, I'm just incredibly happy that some people think my stuff looks visually interesting. That's more than I was shooting for when I started posting here.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
If I scan a drawing, can I pixelate it/trace over it in pixels in asperite? I seem to remember someone saying that they do that waaaaaaaaay upthread.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Bean posted:

If I scan a drawing, can I pixelate it/trace over it in pixels in asperite? I seem to remember someone saying that they do that waaaaaaaaay upthread.

Paint of Persia is designed specifically to do this. Here's some guy trying to do the same thing in Asesprite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSXH8BnPcFE

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Aseprite now has reference layers as of the most recent beta. Should be pretty easy to do that.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Through weird circumstance, I got gifted both Aseprite and Pyxel Edit on my birthday. Anybody used both? Any strong opinions that should push me towards learning one or the other? It seems to me that Pyxel Edit is better for building tilemaps, but is kinda very buggy at the moment, and annoyingly when building animations you have to copy each layer individually when adding it to the next frame. I think I'd like Aseprite's animation system better, otherwise I'm not sure what it has over Pyxel Edit. FWIW Aseprite's UI doesn't drive me insane, I know that's a common complaint of it. Also as near as I can tell from scouring the internet, Aseprite has more frequent updates and seemingly better support and community,

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

MockingQuantum posted:

Through weird circumstance, I got gifted both Aseprite and Pyxel Edit on my birthday. Anybody used both? Any strong opinions that should push me towards learning one or the other? It seems to me that Pyxel Edit is better for building tilemaps, but is kinda very buggy at the moment, and annoyingly when building animations you have to copy each layer individually when adding it to the next frame. I think I'd like Aseprite's animation system better, otherwise I'm not sure what it has over Pyxel Edit. FWIW Aseprite's UI doesn't drive me insane, I know that's a common complaint of it. Also as near as I can tell from scouring the internet, Aseprite has more frequent updates and seemingly better support and community,

I can't speak for Pyxel Edit but Aseprite is really strong if you learn the keyboard shortcuts. I never click the toolbars and it makes pixelling 500 zillion times faster.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I just got asesprite (after having just gotten used to graphics gale for animation). It is good, and more importantly it's good enough. Pyxel Edit has its devotees as well of course and is probably similarly solid. Graphics Gale is also plenty good, though there are a couple of annoying quirks.

I feel like contributing, so here is a gif I made for Michael Guy Bowman's recent fanart music video:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

MockingQuantum posted:

Through weird circumstance, I got gifted both Aseprite and Pyxel Edit on my birthday. Anybody used both?

I have more experience with Pyxel Edit and I love it but I would suggest Aseprite as a good all-rounder for real drawing, pixeling and animation. Pyxel Edit is fantastic for building tile sets so I'd still recommend you make use of it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Scut posted:

I have more experience with Pyxel Edit and I love it but I would suggest Aseprite as a good all-rounder for real drawing, pixeling and animation. Pyxel Edit is fantastic for building tile sets so I'd still recommend you make use of it.

Well I've got them both, so no reason I couldn't! I'm still very much a beginner and won't be making tilesets anytime soon, so I suspect I'll probably focus on Aseprite for the time being. Maybe I'll change the keyboard shortcuts so they're the same for both programs though, save myself some time down the line.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Testing a new tileset. Could use some more doodads.

Scarodactyl posted:

I feel like contributing, so here is a gif I made for Michael Guy Bowman's recent fanart music video:

Dang. That's a lot of moving parts. It looks really good. The animation kinda reminds me of people in Metal Slug, so now I can't stop picturing this dude atop an appropriately themed giant tank.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

After hearing about Aseprite (thanks thread!) I decided to pick it up and made some Barts as a test run. I'm really digging it so far!

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 5, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I have never really tried to do non-character pixel art before so I decided to take a crack at doing something different.

Here's the WIP:

Once I zoomed out I saw that the letters were off, so I know I need to fix that, but there are a few other things that I know don't look good but I don't know how to fix. I feel like every time I try to do a curved line without anti-aliasing it ends up looking like rear end; I know there's gotta be a way to do it. With regards to anti-aliasing, I just sort of put the darker color in where I thought it would make things look good, probably breaking a bunch of rules in the process. I've read guides but none of the ones I found seemed to go deeper than a very beginner level - is there a better way to know when and when not to try to use antialiasing for a curved edge?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

at 1:1 scale this would make a cool smilie

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Xibanya posted:

I've read guides but none of the ones I found seemed to go deeper than a very beginner level - is there a better way to know when and when not to try to use antialiasing for a curved edge?
Yes, there are some better overviews. I think the most important thing is to smooth appropriately while avoiding the introduction of banding. There is a great writeup on banding here: http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=8110.msg92434#msg92434 Generally what banding will do is introduce the wrong kind of blurring, making things look blobby while also adding nasty linear artifacts.
The whole thread is worth a read (especially this introduction to cluster theory which is IMO really fundamental to all pixel art tech http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=8110.msg92619#msg92619 )

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Might come back to this.

I don't know why I keep going back to RPG design so much, I know I'll burn out making one. :v:

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I pixelled a portrait of a friend of mine. I don't like how the hair came out but I think the rest of it is alright. It was neat trying to learn how to capture a likeness at this scale.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Scut posted:

at 1:1 scale this would make a cool smilie

banned for small bart

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Even though I own Aseprite I still use Gimp for most of my pixel art. I'm trying to fix that so I decided to start up a scratchpad of little simple soldier silhouettes for fun.
The idea is that they are intended to be more icon-like so that a quick glance lets the viewer understand what they are looking at and what its loadout is. Broad colour blocking, no texture, generally no linework. Sprites are based around a common 'mannequin' so that you can quickly assemble one from base parts.

Anyway, I always knew Aseprite was "good" but it's nice to start feeling familiarity with it and the hotkeys. I feel like the marquee selection tool is a bit imprecise when you initially drag out a box but I'm getting used to it. The symmetry tool is really nice and will probably be more powerful once the devs fix the bug where moving objects doesn't translate in the mirror side correctly.

edit: I'm having a fun time drawing these, so check out my progress

Scut fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 10, 2017

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
^ I dig that style. Very Game and Watch-esque in a way.

My girlfriend's birthday is coming up so I made her a little portrait of her cat as part of her gift.

Yes, he really does look that miserable in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

So I fell down a deep deep Zelda hole but I guess I'm working again!