Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Butt Discussin posted:

A removable battery is still nice because after 18 months the phone will have lost a significant amount of battery life, but still might have 18 more months of life in it otherwise. Trying to use a 2 year old phone that has a non removable battery, with its 4 hours of battery life, is miserable. Just a few posts ago someone was complaining about needing a battery case just to make the things usable.

Aren't most non-removable batteries actually removeable though? You have to unscrew the case instead of having a handy access door so it's too much trouble to just swap batteries every day, but as a once every 18 months thing not that big a deal. Or you could probably get a guy at one of those cellphone repair kiosks to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brULRhFm8A0

Doesn't look that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Currently on Sprint with a M9 (me) and a S5 Sport (husband). My priority is excellent coverage so I don't miss a page or call for work, which means I clearly need to change networks, and a phone that isn't an insane baffling piece of poo poo, so I need a new phone. My Sprint plan ends in April. Do I just buy 2 new Pixels outright from Verizon and then sign up for the $45 unlimited plan?

Please help me, thread. As you can tell by my choice in current phones, I am very stupid and I need someone to hold my hand and tell me what to do

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Don't laugh too hard, and I'm sure this has been answered before, but does anyone have any experience using Ting? My wife has a sister that is having a lot of success with it.

We currently use AT&T, and for our two iPhones I've gotten our monthly bill down to $85, which I know is pretty good. Being able to cut it in half is irresistible to me, and I would be very interested in Google Fi, but I'd like to use our current phones, and I've got them unlocked already. I'm certain the service won't be as good as AT&T, but I wouldn't expect it to be, for half the price.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

knows a black guy posted:

Don't laugh too hard, and I'm sure this has been answered before, but does anyone have any experience using Ting? My wife has a sister that is having a lot of success with it.

We currently use AT&T, and for our two iPhones I've gotten our monthly bill down to $85, which I know is pretty good. Being able to cut it in half is irresistible to me, and I would be very interested in Google Fi, but I'd like to use our current phones, and I've got them unlocked already. I'm certain the service won't be as good as AT&T, but I wouldn't expect it to be, for half the price.

Your unlocked iPhones will be on Ting's GSM network, which is T-Mobile, so coverage won't be as good. Taxes and fees aren't included in the price either.

Cricket is on AT&T's network. Their customer service is trash, but you could get 2 lines with them for $60 on the Basic plan (3GB per phone).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Chard posted:

I'm also curious about this. I'm still using a Galaxy S3 so I'm the type that doesn't want to replace every 2 years.

I'm guessing you're not a heavy phone user, a $100 Amazon-subsidized Moto G4 Play would be a decent upgrade for you. Now that $100-250 phones are good, you're really not saving much by trying to find a phone that you can keep for 4 years rather than just regularly replacing cheap phones.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm guessing you're not a heavy phone user, a $100 Amazon-subsidized Moto G4 Play would be a decent upgrade for you. Now that $100-250 phones are good, you're really not saving much by trying to find a phone that you can keep for 4 years rather than just regularly replacing cheap phones.

I'm definitely on the lighter end of the phone use scale. I was looking at the specs and if I'm reading this right, the two phones have the same RAM (2gb) and storage (16gb). Let me preface this question by saying I don't really 'get' how cell phones work in this way (accumulating cruft/changes in service), but how much of the chug I've been experiencing on the S3 is just due to being out of date, and how much is built-in based on those specs? Basically if I'm going to be getting a new one anyway I would prefer it to be at least a bit better than the model I have now. Also what do you mean by Amazon-subsidized? I don't have Prime and probably wouldn't get my money's worth from it. I'm with Verizon now on their cheapest, lowest-data package and it's like $45 a month, so if there's a plan that would be lower cost and give me just 1gb data I'd be interested. That's why I liked the sound Fi, I'd probably sell most of my 1gb back each month.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Endless Mike posted:

There's very few with cellular connections and even those generally only use them for data, so not really no.

Edit: this was about smart watches.

What else would they need to be used for?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

What else would they need to be used for?

Well you asked about replacing a phone with one, do I'd assume you'd want phone functions

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Endless Mike posted:

Well you asked about replacing a phone with one, do I'd assume you'd want phone functions

I guess none of them can handle calls and texts and whatnot yet? I rarely do either but I'd still need that. Guess I'll be waiting until that's a thing (if it ever becomes a thing). Thanks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nikosoft posted:

Currently on Sprint with a M9 (me) and a S5 Sport (husband). My priority is excellent coverage so I don't miss a page or call for work, which means I clearly need to change networks, and a phone that isn't an insane baffling piece of poo poo, so I need a new phone. My Sprint plan ends in April. Do I just buy 2 new Pixels outright from Verizon and then sign up for the $45 unlimited plan?

Please help me, thread. As you can tell by my choice in current phones, I am very stupid and I need someone to hold my hand and tell me what to do

Some Verizon stores will offer extra credits to close a sale of 2 new lines. Mileage will vary.

Verizon's unlimited plan is $45 per line for 4 lines. Not 2. The plan is:

$110 for unlimited data, $10 off if you do autopay with checking account.
$20 per line
Whatever the phone prices are.

So in your case: $100 + $20 + $20 for plan is $140, Pixels are $27-36 a month depending on which one and which size (or you buy them outright for $650-960, whatever you want to do).

If you don't need unlimited data you can get 8GB for a base of $70, and 16GB for a base of $90. They can also get a work discount. So if you get a work discount, I would consider if you can stay under 16GB, because it's $10 cheaper plus a 15-20% discount off that $90 on top of that.

At this point there aren't any good Verizon promos. Promos refresh on March 1st, so maybe something will pop up in the next month.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just switched to Ting from AT&T. They ported my number in like 20 minutes after they said it would take 24 hours - it was fantastic. I had created an account with Ting a couple weeks ago and forgot about it, but then someone from Ting noticed I hadn't signed up for service and offered me a free SIM card and a $25 credit.

I'm using an iPhone 4S so I'm stuck with 2G over T-Mobile's network, but SpeedTest clocks it at around 600-800 kbs. Browsing is not-terrible, the Awful App has no lag and YouTube works fine at low quality without buffering.

God bless this poverty phone.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I feel kinda dumb for having to post, but figured I better get some input before deciding. My 2015 Moto G is dying a painful death (bum charging port and the battery discharges faster than it charges, so it only charges when its turned off) so I'm looking for a replacement, preferably in the $150-$225 range. I'm on cricket and all the phones they offer are hot garbage, so I'm sticking to unlocked phones.

Is there anything else in that price range worth looking at besides Motorola? I've read the G4 has some ghost input issues or something, and if I'm honest after the problems I've had with my current G, I'd rather branch out from Motorola. About the only things I've found that seem worthwhile are the Galaxy J7, Zenfones and maybe some Blu phones, but I have no idea if that brand is worth anything. Is there anything else in that range that's competitive?

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Thank you, sir! I will hang on until March in case there are any specials.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
Country/Provider: USA, currently on a Verizon S/M/L plan

Current contract status: Ends this month

Budget (phone/plan): Looking for a cheaper plan

My wife and I have been on Verizon forever but we are pretty light users that I figured we could save some money going to a cheaper provider. My wife currently has an iPhone 6s and wants to stay on an iPhone in the future and will probably upgrade to a 7 or whatever in the future because hers is two years old and starting to fall apart. I have a Droid Turbo that I will try to string along as long as possible and would like to stay with an android in the future. Both phones we bought through Verizon. We don't use them for anything more than basic apps. We use a handful of minutes and 1-2 gbs of data a month. We live and work in mid-sized cities so coverage isn't a huge issue.

Thank you in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
So I've stared to commute to school from Sweden to Denmark, using a buss, ferry, train and then another buss. Between 4 to 5 hours on road almost daily.
I like my 6S but the battery life is starting to hurt, since I get up around 6 am and I might not be home until 7 pm (depending on how many classes we have). I do watch Netflix/movies and browser a lot on the train.

My contract has come to an end and I can now switch. I kinda wanna get the iPhone 7 Plus (128gb model) but my heart is telling me to wait.
But if I sign up before my birthday in April I can get 5.50 USD cheaper every month plus a rebate on the phone that's around 272 USD.

Telia (since the plan works in Denmark with no extra cost)

Contract Plan (12GB/monthly, Plus whatever I use will be put into a pot so if I don't use 12gb then what I haven't used up will be put in a pot.)
39 USD/monthly
+ 27 USD Start up fee

Hardware (iPhone 7 Plus 128bg)
34 USD/monthly for 24 months

So it will cost me monthly around 74 USD for 12 GB Plan plus the iPhone and I will be bound to it for 24 months.

I live in Sweden, I just converted the prices on google.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Simple Simon posted:

So I've stared to commute to school from Sweden to Denmark, using a buss, ferry, train and then another buss. Between 4 to 5 hours on road almost daily.
I like my 6S but the battery life is starting to hurt, since I get up around 6 am and I might not be home until 7 pm (depending on how many classes we have). I do watch Netflix/movies and browser a lot on the train.

My contract has come to an end and I can now switch. I kinda wanna get the iPhone 7 Plus (128gb model) but my heart is telling me to wait.
But if I sign up before my birthday in April I can get 5.50 USD cheaper every month plus a rebate on the phone that's around 272 USD.

Telia (since the plan works in Denmark with no extra cost)

Contract Plan (12GB/monthly, Plus whatever I use will be put into a pot so if I don't use 12gb then what I haven't used up will be put in a pot.)
39 USD/monthly
+ 27 USD Start up fee

Hardware (iPhone 7 Plus 128bg)
34 USD/monthly for 24 months

So it will cost me monthly around 74 USD for 12 GB Plan plus the iPhone and I will be bound to it for 24 months.

I live in Sweden, I just converted the prices on google.

I'm not sure how it is over there, but here Verizon/Att..etc will charge you money (~$20 per month) as a, paraphrasing here, "phone rental" fee. If you can buy the phone out-right with cash you will save approx $20 x 24 months which is not an insignificant amount.

As for me, I'm holding out with my 35 a month plan for a couple of years so I can save enough to buy one outright.

Point is, make sure you know all the fees they charge you before making the purchase

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

Lube banjo posted:

I'm not sure how it is over there, but here Verizon/Att..etc will charge you money (~$20 per month) as a, paraphrasing here, "phone rental" fee. If you can buy the phone out-right with cash you will save approx $20 x 24 months which is not an insignificant amount.

As for me, I'm holding out with my 35 a month plan for a couple of years so I can save enough to buy one outright.

Point is, make sure you know all the fees they charge you before making the purchase

I was talking to a friend who has it and it seems like you're paying 0% interest on the phone. No rental fee and once 24 months are done the phone will be paid off and be yours.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Simple Simon posted:

I was talking to a friend who has it and it seems like you're paying 0% interest on the phone. No rental fee and once 24 months are done the phone will be paid off and be yours.

ok well I'd go through the process online, to the very last step just to confirm. I just did it on verizon's and it looks like this:

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

Lube banjo posted:

ok well I'd go through the process online, to the very last step just to confirm. I just did it on verizon's and it looks like this:

This is what it looks from the website and the Telia Finance says it's interest free on the hardware.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can I ask if buying a second hand iPhone 5S is a bad idea right now? They cost about £130 and I'm really not impressed with any of the cheaper android phones right now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lube banjo posted:

Right, that's not a phone rental fee. I'll accept an argument that it's poorly explained, but it's not a phone rental fee.

Sri.Theo posted:

Can I ask if buying a second hand iPhone 5S is a bad idea right now? They cost about £130 and I'm really not impressed with any of the cheaper android phones right now.

I think it depends on how much an iPhone 6 or iPhone SE is second hand. The 5S is a little long in tooth, so getting 1-2 Generations newer would make a difference.

Also, depends on what the usage is. For call, text, some pictures, checking Facebook, probably fine. If you want to load it up with a lot of apps, play music in the background, whatever, might lag a bit.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 6, 2017

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is it still possible to buy new flip phones for Sprint? Grandma needs a new antique, and all I can find through Google is used stuff.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is it still possible to buy new flip phones for Sprint? Grandma needs a new antique, and all I can find through Google is used stuff.

Not sure, but no lie, my favorite flip phone ever was the Sanyo 3810. Worst case, buy one off eBay.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Not sure, but no lie, my favorite flip phone ever was the Sanyo 3810. Worst case, buy one off eBay.

I worry that buying an old phone will mean a poor battery just due to age, even if it's "new".

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Carrier: T-mobile but could be open to change, no contract currently

I've had the Nexus 6 for awhile and unfortunately cracked the screen the other day. It's usable but not great. I was hoping it'd go at least another 6-12 months before I needed to consider a new phone but welp. I really, really like having a 6in phone and don't want anything smaller (ok maybe like 5.9). I don't really want a 5.5 but would consider it, anything smaller is out. (I know lots of people don't like huge phones but I do having used plenty of others and well that's what I want.). I am considering different options:

1. Fix the screen or replace it with another nexus 6. Obviously cheapest. I like the phone well enough but feel like I will want to upgrade within a year or so anyway so I don't love this idea, but might be best option.
2. Wait for the Galaxy S8+. From what I hear it sounds really promising, rumored to be in the 6.2in range, out in April. I'd prefer not to wait that long but my phone is basically workable if I need to. Also a bit worried about buying a phone on launch.
3. Buy something else - I've looked at the Pixel XL but really would like something larger and the price tag being where it is I don't know that I want to pay that much for a phone I'm not in love with. Also looked at the Mate 9 but it doesn't seem great. Open to others but haven't really found a great fit. I've generally been on the most "pure" google android line for a long time (nexus 6, nexus 4, nexus one, g1) and I know the Pixel is the successor to that, but the price tag is obviously a lot higher and I'd prefer it to be bigger. Could be sold on the XL, probably the currently available upgrade I'd like the most.

Tl;dr I want a 6~ in phone and it doesn't seem like this is a great time to buy one. (correct me if I am wrong here) I can afford whatever price range but don't want to really go 500+ unless its a phone that I'm into. Also I guess I should note I only want Android. Anything I'm missing? Stay with the N6 until there's a better time to upgrade, Pixel XL, wait on S8+, or other?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Dunno what she's paying on Sprint, but my dad has a flip phone on Ting using the Sprint network and pays like $15/month (though it's mainly an emergency phone, not one he uses all the time).

My mom got a flip phone and prepaid plan on Verizon for about $30/month unlimited talk.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck
Carrier: T-Mobile
Current Phone: LG G3

I'm looking to upgrade my phone, its having some tech issues and I'd like something with a better camera. I'd prefer to stay with Android, and I know T-Mobile doesnt have a ton of options, without buying a phone outright unlocked from somewhere which right now isnt an option.

I'm kind of torn between the G5 and the V10(My store still has some). I'm considering the V10 because it still has the buttons on the back of the camera, which I am a fan of. But I"m not sure about the processor improvements are and having the wide angle lens on the front vs back.
And as far as I'm aware, the main 16mp camera is the same between the two.

Anyone have any recommendations between the two or should I just make the jump to an Galaxy S7/S6?

TheUnforgiven fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 9, 2017

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

TheUnforgiven posted:

Carrier: T-Mobile
Current Phone: LG G3

I'm looking to upgrade my phone, its having some tech issues and I'd like something with a better camera. I'd prefer to stay with Android, and I know T-Mobile doesnt have a ton of options, without buying a phone outright unlocked from somewhere which right now isnt an option.

I'm kind of torn between the G5 and the V10(My store still has some). I'm considering the V10 because it still has the buttons on the back of the camera, which I am a fan of. But I"m not sure about the processor improvements are and having the wide angle lens on the front vs back.
And as far as I'm aware, the main 16mp camera is the same between the two.

Anyone have any recommendations between the two or should I just make the jump to an Galaxy S7/S6?

Do not buy an Lg phone. They are all having boot loop issues. Like, all of them.

TMobile had a sale on Samsung S7 Edge a week ago for $360. I got one and couldn't be happier. Maybe they'll do this deal again soon.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

G-Hawk posted:

Stay with the N6 until there's a better time to upgrade, Pixel XL, wait on S8+, or other?

I've used every Nexus since the G1 and the Pixel XL is so much better than all of them it's crazy. Considering how much better it is than every Android that's ever been, the price tag is perfectly reasonable.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The Galaxy S8+ is likely to cost the GDP of a small country, so you're most likely going to end up getting a Pixel XL anyways. Given the wait times on the Google store though, the Galaxy might be out by the time your Pixel ships.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Finally got a pixel, the "really blue" 32gb XL keeps going into and out of stock randomly on the google store, but should be here by Monday with rush shipping. A shame the 128gb seems to be permanently out of stock unless you want Verizon.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
I bought the moto G4+ a month or two ago, and I think I'd like an arm band for it so I can use it in the gym, on runs, and on bike rides. I'm thinking about this one - does anyone know any reason not to get it, or have a better suggestion?

Edit: Why do I never think to read the reviews in Amazon?

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 15, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Reviews don't seem too good.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Any suggestions for an upgrade from a sony Xperia Z3 compact? I was liking the X compact, but it doesn't look like it has the waterproofing the Z3 and XZ has. I'm on AT&T btw if that matters.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
is now a really bad time to buy a phone? From what I can tell it seems S8s' are about to be announced, the g5 plus is coming out soon and apple will be announcing stuff too. Do announcements effect prices of previous generations that much? I won't be able to afford an S8 probably but the s7 edge is pretty sexy.

I'm just getting excited about buying a smart phone since I've never owned one and tax returns and ugh.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Wait a month

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
ugh fine

*closes 15 tabs of different phones in different carts*

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

Wait a month

You should wait a month, but by that I mean order a Pixel/Pixel XL now and in a month you'll have it.

Don't buy phones from companies so bad at engineering that their products literally explode.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Leper Residue posted:

is now a really bad time to buy a phone? From what I can tell it seems S8s' are about to be announced, the g5 plus is coming out soon and apple will be announcing stuff too. Do announcements effect prices of previous generations that much? I won't be able to afford an S8 probably but the s7 edge is pretty sexy.

I'm just getting excited about buying a smart phone since I've never owned one and tax returns and ugh.

I would just get the Pixel. I saw a S8. It looks like a thinner Note 7, no home button (edge to edge display), but I didn't find it remarkable outside of that. Admittedly I'm an Apple person, but you'll get better software support from google.

The S7 Edge could be on discount depending on where and what carrier, but unless it's a lot less than the Pixel I would still get the Pixel.

The S8 might push the S7 Edge down $100. Might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Got my pixel XL after just a few days. I didn't really believe people when they said it was better than other Android phones - how different could it be? But it loads everything so quickly and smoothly, and the camera is so good, that it really is much better for everyday use.

Question Time fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 17, 2017