Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

unfortunately i'm adult now and busy logging rock core and soil borings all this week from 5am till 7pm a which sucks, so i can't stay up till 4am playing video games like I could as a kid :sigh:

i didnt know minecraft was on the switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

From July 15, 2004 forums owner and prophet Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka wrote this:

"Nintendo's Classic Retro Arcade DX DS EX NAACP: We'll Keep Rerunning the Same Games For Every Platform As Long As You Faggots Keep Buying Them"

Almost sends shivers down my spine.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

The_Franz posted:

that's what you get when you deal with the last bargain-basement chinese lcd manufacturer who still makes 720p screens in 2017

yeah, other companies wouldn't do this. gently caress you nintendo

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

gently caress it, i say we never buy computer hardware from any company who uses bargain bottom Chinese labor. it's time to take a stand

*never owns anything electronic ever again*

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mandator posted:

gently caress it, i say we never buy computer hardware from any company who uses bargain bottom Chinese labor. it's time to take a stand

*never owns anything electronic ever again*

*lives a surprisingly happier and more fulfilling life*

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

*lives a surprisingly happier and more fulfilling life*

what's the point if you can't post about it on facebook

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Xaris posted:

unfortunately i'm adult now and busy logging rock core and soil borings all this week from 5am till 7pm a which sucks, so i can't stay up till 4am playing video games like I could as a kid :sigh:

have you considered burning your work to the ground and freeing yourself from the slavery of capitalism?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
How much is a switch after you factor in the extra plastic add-ons and carry accessories plus premium gold supreme deluxe controller that isn't poo poo.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Ka0 posted:

How much is a switch after you factor in the extra plastic add-ons and carry accessories plus premium gold supreme deluxe controller that isn't poo poo.

just smash your head into a brick until you have enough gold coins

:moonrio:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22289/p/897

quote:

On Nintendo Switch, game save data is stored on the consoles System Memory. This will not change whether downloadable software or software from a game card is being played.
Game save data cannot be saved or copied to a microSD card.

lmbo

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

What are you carrying it around in? I don't own any cargo pants, JNCO jeans, or a fanny pack, and I don't want to have to carry an extra bag around just to keep it in.

My hand or my back pack. Edit: or a waterproof little bag I got or my cargo shorts, maybe it's kinda winter here still.

The save thing above me was countered by a goon with an sd card who could see the save files on the card when put in a pc so Nintendo doesn't even know their own poo poo lol.

Zelda is still very good, you should play it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Can't believe there's still no cloud or some sort of transfer of file saves etc

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Gaming peaked with Prince of Persia 2: the Shadow and Flame

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Can't believe there's still no cloud or some sort of transfer of file saves etc

my guess is it's a hamfisted attempt to stop exploits by corrupting save games, but who knows

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Code Jockey posted:

my guess is it's a hamfisted attempt to stop exploits by corrupting save games, but who knows

Yeah I mean it's def an anti pirarting measure but I don't know why they care so much about people using other saves, but yeah probably security reasons

I mean it's all moot tho because the switch is going to get hacked to poo poo and exploited to enable those features and more so they're doing their self a disservice but w/e

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
so is it running android or what? the interface looks like android sometimes

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

a bone to pick posted:

so is it running android or what? the interface looks like android sometimes

One of my friends posted on Facebook:

"Judging by the copyright notices in the Switch menus, this thing is running the Free BSD kernel. Neat."

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Whatever it's doing it's fast. The load times are pretty drat good. Feels good to be back on carts

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
people say the loading times in new Zelda WiiU are too long, but it really doesnt bother me

bit of quiet before the action

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Has anyone purchased a switch using bitcoins yet?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LethalGeek posted:

Whatever it's doing it's fast. The load times are pretty drat good. Feels good to be back on carts

After a couple years of PS4, it feels really bizarre to wake this thing from sleep and be playing Zelda in about 3 seconds total. I just realized, the Switch adopted a very similar sleep mode to the 3DS, and I love that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Haha hope your Switch never dies or needs a hard reset because if so, you're gonna lose all your saves. Can't even back them up to the cloud!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Batterypowered7 posted:

One of my friends posted on Facebook:

"Judging by the copyright notices in the Switch menus, this thing is running the Free BSD kernel. Neat."

thats good, means it should be easy to flash it with normal andriod. of course then you just have an overpriced tablet :shrug:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I got Breath of the Wild for WiiU and I think if you take away the 10 Zelda points from the metacritic score it's pretty accurate. A good game but lol at a 98 for it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

I got Breath of the Wild for WiiU and I think if you take away the 10 Zelda points from the metacritic score it's pretty accurate. A good game but lol at a 98 for it.

No, no, that's because you're playing the Wii U version. The Switch version is actually 98/100, you see.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

is this like how people think disney pays critics to give marvel movies a high score and trash dc movies? i dont think nintendo is giving reviewers yen, guys

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Professor SJW posted:

is this like how people think disney pays critics to give marvel movies a high score and trash dc movies? i dont think nintendo is giving reviewers yen, guys

Reviewers get caught up in the hype train and reverence for name brands just like everyone else.

What gaming companies do isn't giving money to reviewers directly, but sending reviewers exclusive collectible poo poo they can then sell on eBay. Or stuff like expensive headsets.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

What about friend codes for your gamesaves?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Professor SJW posted:

No, I don't think they pay them I think hype just fuels inflated scores for a lot of games and first party Nintendo games are some of the worst offenders. The standard open world game tropes that get poo poo on for other games, like climbing towers to reveal the map, are getting praise in Zelda reviews.

It's a good and fun game but it's not better than the Witcher 3 or Horizon Zero Dawn.

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 6, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Reviewers get caught up in the hype train and reverence for name brands just like everyone else.

What gaming companies do isn't giving money to reviewers directly, but sending reviewers exclusive collectible poo poo they can then sell on eBay. Or stuff like expensive headsets.

While that all is probably the case I'm going to say something crazy and I need you to follow me here: Zelda is just that good. The couple before it were ehhhhhh and I didn't have any if probably low expectations of this one. This game is just fun. My cold dead heart is having fun again.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
wow a game is fun

100/10

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
this movie kept my attention for two hours

give it all the oscars

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

they send the money directly to the reviewers boss in the form of advertising. the boss makes sure whoever is writing the review knows that this is a flagship Nintendo product at a critical time, and it would be very unfortunate for such a good sponsor to be upset with us.

then nintendo sends you a funcopop

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

so they arent giving good reviews for money, but rare amiibos. got it

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

they send the money directly to the reviewers boss in the form of advertising. the boss makes sure whoever is writing the review knows that this is a flagship Nintendo product at a critical time, and it would be very unfortunate for such a good sponsor to be upset with us.

then nintendo sends you a funcopop

This. Or they're scared of getting blackballed and losing access to free stuff. You see it a lot in electronics reviews.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

I think you should add 10 points, because it's the greatest game of all time bitch.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

No, I don't think they pay them I think hype just fuels inflated scores for a lot of games and first party Nintendo games are some of the worst offenders. The standard open world game tropes that get poo poo on for other games, like climbing towers to reveal the map, are getting praise in Zelda reviews.

It's a good and fun game but it's not better than the Witcher 3 or Horizon Zero Dawn.

Its so much better than both of those garbage games lmao

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Games like Witcher and Horizon do not allow you to engage with powerful brands like ZeldaTM.

Reviewers love nothing more than engaging with brands because it generates free traffic.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Games like Witcher and Horizon do not allow you to engage with powerful brands like ZeldaTM.

Reviewers love nothing more than engaging with brands because it generates free traffic.

:tinfoil: <----- you

• Locked thread