Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
As the proud leader of the 53rd brigade, I would like to say: 9/10, would not want to be flanked again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Where do we sign up?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Soiled Meat

Bacarruda posted:

I agree with the spirit of this - if not the exact layout. I'd keep the French in the south and the Germans in the north.

Trin, with the greatest respect, the current 1915 lines don't reflect how this battle turned out.

My division was in complete control of Dejuenner and Le Oeuf by the end of the battle. Saying that we now only own half of it erases much of the gains we played and fought our guts out for.

And TBK's men had a strong foothold on Pasteur. If 8 German chits are enough to give them La Crepe and Quatrepouts-- why isn't a brigade with a massive gunline enough to give us at least some of Pasteur? Put another way, if the new German corps wiped out the Frenchmen on Pasteur -- why didn't the new French corps wipe out the Germans in Quatrepouts?

I understand that there's always going to be some things happening behind the GM screen - but I'm struggling to understand this decision. Even if you don't change the 1915 lines, at least help me understand what happened.

You are missing the part where Germans sent in an overwhelming force five hours ahead of French reinforcements and connected the gains made by us.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

steinrokkan posted:

You are missing the part where Germans sent in an overwhelming force five hours ahead of French reinforcements and connected the gains made by us.

Yeah this - if you guys hadn't made Fali, then the Germans would have taken the field entirely. As is you were able to hold on in the south long enough for your own reinforcements to hold back the tide.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

steinrokkan posted:

I did take that into account. It'd explain why your men retook Pasteur and Failblempot. But if two corps can drive off a solitary brigade, then La Crepe and Quatreprouts should also have been retaken, especially since that section is very close to where French reinforcements would have entered and very far away from the entry of German troops.

I'll abide with whatever Trin's decision is. I've enjoyed the game and I have no regrets with how I fought my division. But I'm frustrated by off-camera circumstances completely out of our control erasing the gains on one side while cementing the gains of the other.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Want to say, here over in the observer thread it was really fun to read and follow things along and a big kudos to Trin for running this and all the players - Entente and Central Powers, whom were a part of it. very fun to read and follow in both threads and see how plans were made and executed!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I can reveal one thing: the name of Tigre Bois was originally a joke on the German Roll20 map that didn't transfer to the final one. See, the original name of the town of Clemenceau was Clemenceau Country Club. Thus, Tigre Bois was both a reference to Clemenceau's nickname and a reference to the name of a certain golfer.

Also, Toilettes-champs was originally named W.C. Fields.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Soiled Meat

thatbastardken posted:

haha wow, what a clusterfuck

towards the end i was getting a little despondent due to my grotesque losses, but otherwise it was a good time

Can't hear you over the sound of losing 4/4 brigades before breakfast.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 5, 2017

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

steinrokkan posted:

Can't see you over the sound of losing 4/4 brigades before breakfast.

The 15th lasted until noon, thank you very much.:colbert:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Good game all. Not sure it's all that necessary to have perfectly balanced maps or victory conditions, especially if we are aware that's the case.

The initial German plan of en masse overwhelming force straight down to their objective was much better than ours, which strung us out deploying west-east before turning on the objective. Looking back now, the really revolutionary and potentially game winning thing would have been to fight north south from the beginning, concentrating firepower on an enemy that was determined to march into the middle of nowhere. Reorienting the battlefield would have been cool - and the observer thread seemed to spot that pretty quickly!

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

This was very entertaining to watch and read, thanks to everyone for playing and to Trin to doing this. The pace of the game was incredible!

To me, this looks like a potentially decisive German victory that got blunted to a minor one / stalemate thanks to good play by the French. So - relatively speaking, and taking into account what could be - it really is a minor French victory.

I don't think it's bad to have unbalanced games, quite on the contrary. One of the best LPs I've participated in was the Combat Mission one where we as the Germans were extremely outnumbered and had to slow down the incoming American hordes. Everyone knew we would lose and still we enjoyed it because the setup was good. Preparing asymmetrical scenarios like that is the way to go, as long as everyone is clear on what to expect. You can only play so many meeting engagements, and they never happen to be perfectly balanced anyway. You just need to take the imbalances into account in the final evaluation.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Hey guys!

First of all, many thanks to forums poster my dad for his gallantry, great play, and, most importantly, sportsmanship. Except for trying to attack me on my nationality.

YOU FUCKER.

(:v:)

I only have like half an hour before I am leaving to watch some ballet in honour of my our victory, but when I come back, I'll have time to write up a post mortem, and, in fact, I want to do it in a series of posts, since there's so much to tell!

Here's what I'm thinking of:

• Critique of the scenario
  • Turn-by-turn review
  • German Roll20 Best Of
  • Assessment of Commanders' Performance: A Can of Worms
  • For All The Mail Not Sent: What I Wanted to Send to the French, But Didn't

Let me know if there's anything you want to see first.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Well played by both sides.

I think Trin did a great job, and his map was far more balanced than mine!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Tevery Best posted:

Let me know if there's anything you want to see first.

All of the above, but definitely a gallery of unsent messages.

Trin, can I join the people clamouring to volunteer for later rounds?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Well, that's that! A valiant salute to whoever french brigade commander knocked my jägers off La Ouef. Seeing the final result I think our rush to move the lime was justified, and my spirit shall pass well into the next life.

I also hope this is a lecture for all participants not to declare ignominous defeat before half the game time has even passed, there are plenty of options to recoup setbacks once reinforcements and runners sort things out.

Tevery Best>> THE MAIL NOT SENT!!!

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 5, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Partly what this man said, with a small slice of "well, if my initial instincts tell me the line should go about there (which was slightly more generous to you in places), if I move the line back to halfway on Dejeuner and back off Pasteur to about here, that opens up some more interesting possibilities for 1915". I may tweak that line further, and you will have some discretion in where you place the actual trenches before the battle begins; that might mean an opportunity to shove forward again some more with (abstracted) local attacks before the big push.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Can't quite decide if I'm happy or sad that we didn't get to see that final grand French assault that would've killed us all.

Hephasto
Oct 11, 2007
I agree, I agree, it's all about that skreee.
I'll be honest - when the 54th got absolutely mauled in the Bois de Baguette without doing much in return I was pretty much ready to step back to near observer status. So naturally I was incredibly thankful to be given the B.E.F. along with having the advice and support of all the Entente commanders at every step of the process. For a relative novice at this sort of thing, y'all were a joy to work with.

Also, teacup marching formation forever.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

this was a lot of fun to follow and it has produced some tales that i am sure will go down in the annals of history. I cant wait to see what other devious tricks Trin has up his sleeve

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

lenoon posted:

Good game all. Not sure it's all that necessary to have perfectly balanced maps or victory conditions, especially if we are aware that's the case.

The initial German plan of en masse overwhelming force straight down to their objective was much better than ours, which strung us out deploying west-east before turning on the objective. Looking back now, the really revolutionary and potentially game winning thing would have been to fight north south from the beginning, concentrating firepower on an enemy that was determined to march into the middle of nowhere. Reorienting the battlefield would have been cool - and the observer thread seemed to spot that pretty quickly!

All the objectives were West. Leaving the entire West of the map to the Germans would have lost us the game ridiculously hard.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Soiled Meat
There's no way one side could have held an entire half of the map and keep it against a concentrated enemy push. The idea that Germans were impossible to dislodge and defeat once we reached St. C. hinges entirely on the notion that we would never leave that place and spend the rest of the game on localized defense. As long as we were going to actually leave the town and get moving, the advantage was gone and it was entirely up to French tactical acumen to do something about the situation.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

steinrokkan posted:

Can't hear you over the sound of losing 4/4 brigades before breakfast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGv1VKAybcI

:v:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Not so, both sides expected long edge deployment - if we'd have expected short edge and planned for it, we would not have lost ridiculously hard as we'd probably have rolled up on st croissant en masse shortly after they Germans arrived.

Now we can go back through the threads, the observer thread figures this out immediately and the scale of panic leading to those German reserves being called up suggests that our accidental move towards this strategy caused some serious worries.

As it was, both sides did that whole ships of the line thing on their way to the objectives, when north south deployment would have crossed the T and continued to do so while the Germans scrambled to redeploy.

Funny how quickly the armchair strategy develops after a battle, eh?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

aphid_licker posted:

Can't quite decide if I'm happy or sad that we didn't get to see that final grand French assault that would've killed us all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8rYotiiFP8

Lets say, I really wanted to see it :D

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

Partly what this man said, with a small slice of "well, if my initial instincts tell me the line should go about there (which was slightly more generous to you in places), if I move the line back to halfway on Dejeuner and back off Pasteur to about here, that opens up some more interesting possibilities for 1915". I may tweak that line further, and you will have some discretion in where you place the actual trenches before the battle begins; that might mean an opportunity to shove forward again some more with (abstracted) local attacks before the big push.

Ok. That sounds fair enough to me. :)

Thank you for running this, Trin. I really enjoyed myself and look forwards to watching/playing the next game!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

thatbastardken posted:

:smithicide:

sorry about your brigade koba

Hey, by my calculations I only lost around 80% of my guys this time! It's a step in the right direction! :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Trin Tragula posted:

That's cool with me. As a heads up from one GM to another (Yes you're a GM running a campaign, just in an RP system with a very combat biased ruleset :getin:), a good way to handle this in the future is acknowledge the players' achievements, and put the blame for things going that way on the NPCs.

I know you're running a tabletop wargame that happens to have been part of a narrative campaign so you might not have even thought to use that toolkit, but it plays a lot better if you use the fact that the NPCs are all your units to do it. Just a brief mention of something like "Despite the French units holding out on Dejeuner and Pasteur, their reinforcements were in worse order and came off worse for it. Later historians would agree this would prove to be important in later battles." would address the criticism and give you more free reign to make gameplay choices without worrying about ruffling feathers.

lenoon posted:

Not so, both sides expected long edge deployment - if we'd have expected short edge and planned for it, we would not have lost ridiculously hard as we'd probably have rolled up on st croissant en masse shortly after they Germans arrived.

Now we can go back through the threads, the observer thread figures this out immediately and the scale of panic leading to those German reserves being called up suggests that our accidental move towards this strategy caused some serious worries.

As it was, both sides did that whole ships of the line thing on their way to the objectives, when north south deployment would have crossed the T and continued to do so while the Germans scrambled to redeploy.

Funny how quickly the armchair strategy develops after a battle, eh?

Just because the French plan worked better for the objective doesn't mean that it wasn't disrupted. Remember that we thought there were solid odds that we'd be staging to Pasteur ridge for part of an attack on St. C with our eastern forces, instead of them getting drawn into a bloody slugging match.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Loxbourne posted:

All of the above, but definitely a gallery of unsent messages.

Tias posted:

Tevery Best>> THE MAIL NOT SENT!!!

Here's a selection of stuff I can more or less remember:

quote:

This one somehow never came in handy.

quote:

I'm mounted on a pig! A hundred devils chase!
You - absorbed by selves - turn, now gaze, behold!
An apish hand my tankard holds, beer flowing on my face,
On hairy chest it drips off my chin and overflowing throat!

A red haired harlot sits, a toad covers her shame,
A hand so luscious slowly climbs towards my fly!
Under my pot-belly she starts a roaring flame,
So laughing, I hand her the coin she earned from I!

(...)

And out there,
is my dad,

Stretched, like Christ, on a harp...

SERVES HIM RIGHT!
May he learn - being a saint is hard!

This one I started, but never finished, it was a huge challenge to even get as far as I did. It was a part of my project of sending the French ever more demented messages only to see them try to link them to anything that actually happened in the game. Needless to say, I picked a wrong place to start and the plan never got underway.

I wanted to send them that once we take and hold Dej. Alas.

quote:

You awaken from your slumber to find yourself in a world you never imagined, but one you hoped you'd never see. Walking among the barren, lifeless piles of dust, passing by the dead and the dying, disappearing in the muddy craters and then appearing again, wet, dirty, staggering above the edge of the hole.

The monster sees you, and beckons. You flinch, terrified, as your spine seems to contract into three, but cannot budge. You feel the beast is... Impressed?

Respectful. Proud of your accomplishments. Proud of the reek of blood you broadcast. Joyous to see all the dead who are there at your call, your decision, your reckoning. It uplifts you, raising you from the fell earth you wander.

It draws you in, holding you close to its heart, like a dear brother, long thought lost.

You see yourself, lying down. You realise you have perished, a victim of the glory you so pursued, of atonement you so sought, of the pain that finally liberated you. It was many hours ago. You are now at the mercy of the monsters - and men, chief amongst them he who approaches you now, a small man, a meek man, a man who fears, his hands as bloody as yours, but only you seem to see it --

He leans over you, drawing in air, like a hunting dog, a vicious, rabid predator --

"Who would have thought. He really did smell of elderberries."

This one I had in my head in some form for most of the game, but the ending was really written by my dad himself.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Just chiming in to say 1914 was heaps of fun despite getting my brigade knocked out early on attacking st. Croissant. :)

Things I would have done / will try to do in 1915 differently:
1) Read over the rules more carefully regarding the points that weren't relevant to a suicide attack. Most of the time during the middle of the game when I had something not-worthless to say in roll20 I had to go back and check how artillery or spotting worked to make sure I was actually right, and by then the discussion had either moved on or someone else had said what I was going to say anyway.

2) Post in the thread more

3) More Elan

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
On the grounds that what-ifs and maybes are fairly unhelpful in reviewing events I will instead make some general observations.
  • The scenario was not 'balanced' but as a learning experience and quasi-historical scenario I'd say it achieved most of it's objectives.
  • Both sides were at various times convinced of their own overwhelming superiority and that of their enemies. This is appropriate to all war.
  • German advantages in firepower and initial positioning were partly overcome by early French maneuvers, but proved (sort of) decisive.
  • Attempts to coordinate the Saint Croissant offensive were doomed to failure the moment contact was made with the enemy
  • After the casualties of the initial engagement I treated 6 division as crippled and became perhaps over-cautious.
  • 22 division was as a result left to handle the afternoon actions alone while I contented myself with defending a line the Germans never attacked
In a future scenario if I was at the same level of command I would:
  • Acquire a division Chief of Staff in a different timezone to make communication with HQ more practical.
  • Provide clearer directives and feedback on brigade level planning.
  • Allow more flexibility from my subordinates, but;
  • Demand more detailed orders and contingency plans.
  • Try to ensure every brigade had an assigned staff officer to take over in the event the Brigadier was unavailable.
  • Institute mandatory terrible poetry classes for all officers.
In a future scenario if I was at a higher level of command I would:
  • Require staff planning to prepare Optimistic, Pessimistic and Balanced scenarios for Division and Brigade level commanders to consider when giving orders
  • Increase sassy propaganda output by 50%, if necessary employing staff officers to draft attack memes.
  • Mandatory terrible poetry for all generals - high or low effort, so long as the result is trash.
  • NOT ride a horse to my death by machine gun
In a future scenario if I was at a lower level of command I would:
  • Recruit a reliable adjutant.
  • Try to provide detailed local information to my division.
  • Never stop posting terrible poetry.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The real question here is which general earned the moniker "the butcher of St Croissant"?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jaguars! posted:

The real question here is which general earned the moniker "the butcher of St Croissant"?

Should be a baker, really.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

I'm just sad Mon Pere rode off rather than bringing in a full assault when the BEF came so I could make my joke about Croissant full of wurst and drizzled in the creme anglais sounding like an American breakfast sandwich.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 6, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Gyfcat Link

Here's what the Battle of Saint Croissant looked like (more or less) from the French side of the fighting.

Looking at it, a some things stand out to me.
  • The difficulty the French team faced. We were never going to get to Saint Croissant first and that set us up for a lot of futile charges. We got the best outcome reasonably possible: a draw/minor German win.
  • The French 6th Division's (thatbastardken) early engagement on the Eastern flank. The Germans were totally unready for a fight from that direction that early. Destroying the German 19th division (Steinrokkan) that early was a major coup.
  • The futility of the French attack on Saint Croissant. We threw three brigades into that fight. My 22nd Division sent the 98th (AbortRetryFail) and the 96th (Tehan) and the 6th Division sent the 54th (Hephasto). It wasn't enough. As I feared during the planning phase, we didn't commit enough front-line troops into that fight and had no reserves behind them to back up the assault. The men fought drat well, but sending guts against guns just leads to more guts...
  • The importance of Clemenceau ridge and the gunline arrayed there. The 99th Brigade (Loel) may not have had a glamorous job, but they did outstanding work anchoring our center and hammering the German center. By holding that hill, he let 22nd Division fight the good fight in the West.
  • The amount of German firepower against us was enormous, but used inconsistently. I was amazed at how much use they got out of their machine guns and how little use they got out of their heavy artillery.
  • The drat close-run thing on Dejeunner. Luck and skill work out in our favor on that one. If we'd lost that ridge, we'd have had unassailable German guns on the west and we'd have lost the battle. Special credit to the BEF (Hephasto) and the Hero of the Republic xthetenth for their gallant assault. And to the 175th Reserve Brigade (AbortRetryFail). I rolled the dice with sending them into the fray, and the roll paid off well. ARF cut off German reserves from reaching Dejeunner that might of turned the tide. One of the overlooked, but critical, plays of the game.
  • The futility of the cavalry assault on Saint Croissant. Looking at how weak the Germans were in the NW, I wish we'd been able to send those men to take La Sanglante Femme or further secure Faiblempot.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 6, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ARF also did a decent amount of the work of making the charge stick by picking off units routing suppressed, and Hunt's division paid a lot of the cost in blood of the cav charge. Croissant wasn't going anywhere unless maybe if we had more morning time to play with to get a big sweeping encirclement off with all our forces.

Actually, maybe setting things up so that the timer progressed at full speed overnight was a mistake because it amplified the problems from the map giving St. C to the Germans since so much of it passed during the night.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Random question: How good would this ruleset be (with minor modifications) for a game set in the USA Civil War?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
From what I can tell? Really drat bad. The lack of machine guns (which are an integral part of the game), the different granularity of artillery, prevalence of canister shot, significant difference in how infantry operated, and a much smaller-scale nature of the ACW would all contribute to the game just not feeling like an ACW game.

Which is weird, because I usually find you can extend rulesets made even for Napoleonic-era games (mutatis mutandis) all the way to World War I, but it only very rarely even sort of works the other way around.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

At times communication could be so bad that you'd have to start each division in a separate thread until you've found each other. And Civil war inter-general politics would probably intrude a lot more than those of WWI.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Soiled Meat

Bacarruda posted:

Gyfcat Link

Here's what the Battle of Saint Croissant looked like (more or less) from the French side of the fighting.

Looking at it, a some things stand out to me.
  • The difficulty the French team faced. We were never going to get to Saint Croissant first and that set us up for a lot of futile charges. We got the best outcome reasonably possible: a draw/minor German win.
  • The French 6th Division's (thatbastardken) early engagement on the Eastern flank. The Germans were totally unready for a fight from that direction that early. Destroying the German 19th division (Steinrokkan) that early was a major coup.
  • The futility of the French attack on Saint Croissant. We threw three brigades into that fight. My 22nd Division sent the 98th (AbortRetryFail) and the 96th (Tehan) and the 6th Division sent the 54th (Hephasto). It wasn't enough. As I feared during the planning phase, we didn't commit enough front-line troops into that fight and had no reserves behind them to back up the assault. The men fought drat well, but sending guts against guns just leads to more guts...
  • The importance of Clemenceau ridge and the gunline arrayed there. The 99th Brigade (Loel) may not have had a glamorous job, but they did outstanding work anchoring our center and hammering the German center. By holding that hill, he let 22nd Division fight the good fight in the West.
  • The amount of German firepower against us was enormous, but used inconsistently. I was amazed at how much use they got out of their machine guns and how little use they got out of their heavy artillery.
  • The drat close-run thing on Dejeunner. Luck and skill work out in our favor on that one. If we'd lost that ridge, we'd have had unassailable German guns on the west and we'd have lost the battle. Special credit to the BEF (Hephasto) and the Hero of the Republic xthetenth for their gallant assault. And to the 175th Reserve Brigade (AbortRetryFail). I rolled the dice with sending them into the fray, and the roll paid off well. ARF cut off German reserves from reaching Dejeunner that might of turned the tide. One of the overlooked, but critical, plays of the game.
  • The futility of the cavalry assault on Saint Croissant. Looking at how weak the Germans were in the NW, I wish we'd been able to send those men to take La Sanglante Femme or further secure Faiblempot.

Again, these imagined difficulties are the result of your narrow focus, rather than of inherent problems with the scenario. As you can see from the events that transpired later in the day, it was up to French to merely pick a better time for their assault to entirely eviscerate the defenses. Both sides suffered a lot from not having any god drat patience at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

xthetenth posted:

ARF also did a decent amount of the work of making the charge stick by picking off units routing suppressed, and Hunt's division paid a lot of the cost in blood of the cav charge. Croissant wasn't going anywhere unless maybe if we had more morning time to play with to get a big sweeping encirclement off with all our forces.

Actually, maybe setting things up so that the timer progressed at full speed overnight was a mistake because it amplified the problems from the map giving St. C to the Germans since so much of it passed during the night.

My Dad's heroic sacrifice (Or rather, his choice to take the field at all), was what really gimped us during the night. The timer had nothing to do with it.

It will be my opinion to the last of my days that our final attack on St. Croissant would have worked. The German defences were all oriented south, and if we were able to actually give orders, we would have smashed around 60 chits into 20, right at dawn.

It's also possible that every all of our attacking brigades would have taken 2 companies of damage and then rout. But I was willing to believe in Elan.

As things turned out, we could only attempt to change orders once every 4 turns. One failure meant another 4 turns of waiting. So, everything was called off.

• Locked thread