Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

A high-pollution coal plant is probably going to have to close. Native American unemployment in the area is already pretty lovely so hopefully some clean energy power stations can fill in the void, who knows though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I can't quite get a read on Marty's position on this one.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well he drew one of the biggest coal companies in the world as a caveman, so.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Baloogan posted:

one day we will rise up and destroy your way of life like you so casually condemn us!

SODA FOREVER

On the day when y'all sin tax plain black coffee

I will be very very sad and possibly literally die

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Oh hey, a return to form by Telnaes.

By which I mean "why the gently caress is this a gif?"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Fates End posted:

...the smoke is unlabeled. Is he seriously making the argument that yes, Trump works for Russia, but Democrats being mad about him working for Russia is far worse?

Yes, just like a white person being called a racist is much worse than being a racist.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Shugojin posted:

On the day when y'all sin tax plain black coffee

I will be very very sad and possibly literally die

:same:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Fates End posted:

...the smoke is unlabeled. Is he seriously making the argument that yes, Trump works for Russia, but Democrats being mad about him working for Russia is far worse?

Shout-outs to anyone who remembers this one:

"A Democrat-led investigation of Bad Thing is exactly as bad as that Thing" — Nate "Fucko" Beeler

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
hm yeah scandals are happy little clouds that mean nothing

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Shout-outs to anyone who remembers this one:

"A Democrat-led investigation of Bad Thing is exactly as bad as that Thing" — Nate "Fucko" Beeler

I forget who drew it, Lester or Ramirez probably, but they did one where they portrayed regulating cigarettes/vaping as exactly the same as smoking.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

itskage posted:

Barry

Edit:

Raz has the write up in 2014 & 15 threads. But he vanished in 2013~2014. Dunno where he was getting these from.

E2: my god I forgot how insane these were. That guys arm has 3 joints. Everything has motion marks, and nubs.

The Rise and Fall of Carlos Danger. A topic that keeps rearing its ugly head. It’s once again in the news, and hopefully for the last time.

Here are 3 Weinergate editorial, cartoons and post excerpts from early in the scandal’s history…

In the first Anthony Weiner decides to take his dog for a brief walk, but things get a little awkward when the amorous pup gets a little too frisky, and starts showing off his favorite bone. Not only embarrassing, this scandal would definitely cause some shrinkage in the old poll numbers.

The second: More leaked photos revealed a towel-clad Weiner, hanging out at the House gym. Instead practicing safe tweeting, and taking a much-needed cold shower, he is seen here taking some glamour shots for his next round of junk mail.

The third, from 2013, is on the attempeted reanimation of Weiner’s political career – when he threw his hat (at least I hope it was his hat) into the ring to enter the race Mayor of NYC.

© 2011/2013 Barry/Right-Hemisphere Laboratory

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Carlos Danger is still one of the funniest things to have happened in American politics

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Fulchrum posted:

I mean, I don't want to be heartless here, and I know how it sounds, but, water exists (least outside of Michigan). I get that the tax does unfairly impact poorer families who drink a lot of soda, but those families can switch to just water if they are buying soda as a food staple rather than just something drunk occasionally.

Soda is a major contributor to diabetes and obesity, so the major purpose of the sin tax is just to get people to drink less soda and more water. That's what a sin tax is for, to influence lifestyle change.

You say soda is a major contribution to diabetes and obesity, which is... not even a little bit proven. There's a correlation for sure, but there's also a very strong correlation between fatigue and obesity.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

endlessmonotony posted:

You say soda is a major contribution to diabetes and obesity, which is... not even a little bit proven. There's a correlation for sure, but there's also a very strong correlation between fatigue and obesity.

There are lots of good arguments for why the tax is bad, but are you seriously going with 240 calorie soft drinks loaded with fast absorbing carbs typically drank throughout the day and with other high calorie meals doesn't lead to weight gain?

e: Even considering fatigue, the soft drinks don't help.

Pretty sure when you were originally posing these I replied with "JaggerMcDagger to my eyes"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

itskage posted:

There are lots of good arguments for why the tax is bad, but are you seriously going with 240 calorie soft drinks loaded with fast absorbing carbs typically drank throughout the day and with other high calorie meals doesn't lead to weight gain?

Their role in weight gain, and, more centrally, whether a tax on them would reduce weight gain, has not been well-established.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Mike Thompson:

Lisa Benson:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Anyone seeking to build a middle ground between Trump supporters and the opposition is ultimately on the side of Trump. An antifa cartoon.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Their role in weight gain, and, more centrally, whether a tax on them would reduce weight gain, has not been well-established.

Your emphasis is not what he said at all though. However you are correct that it is not. People are free to fill those gaps with chocolate cakes, doritos, and packs of cinnamon gum.

However, at least we have evidence that people will stop buying them with the tax (though not nessisarily consuming them as they can be purchased outside philly). Would be interesting if it could run a few more years and a study can be done to see if obesity rates drop. But it's probably not going to last, especially since it's pretty lovely to run this experiment on the lower income residents.

That said, implying that they don't have a role in weight gain is ludicrous.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

itskage posted:

Your emphasis is not what he said at all though. However you are correct that it is not. People are free to fill those gaps with chocolate cakes, doritos, and packs of cinnamon gum.

However, at least we have evidence that people will stop buying them with the tax (though not nessisarily consuming them as they can be purchased outside philly). Would be interesting if it could run a few more years and a study can be done to see if obesity rates drop. But it's probably not going to last, especially since it's pretty lovely to run this experiment on the lower income residents.

How could you possibly enforce this in a way that only affected high income residents? Or hell, in any way that didn't more proportionally affect low income residents?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

itskage posted:

His emphasis is what I actually said.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Cartoonists should really adopt the confederate flag tie for their Sessions caricatures.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What, no asterisk to a dead link for this one?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

How could you possibly enforce this in a way that only affected high income residents? Or hell, in any way that didn't more proportionally affect low income residents?

You can't. I'm not saying you can either. What I'm saying is that it's lovely to do it at all if you're not certain of the results since it disproprotinally affects the low income residents. You'd punish them, without really knowing if it's going to help them.

endlessmonotony posted:

His emphasis is what I actually said.

I don't see you mention the tax at all. Discendo Vox's emphasis, the part in italics, is about the impact the tax would have on weight gain/loss. I read your post as "soda has no causation on weight gain, only correlation" which is nuts to me, but if you meant to say the same thing in the italicized part, then you'll have no argument from me.

If either of you want to explain how soda's (or sugary drinks in general) don't play a large role in American obesity, then I will listen. But, I have no idea where you're coming from. Soda and other sugary drinks adds hundreds of calories to meals and throughout the day. People go to restaurants and get over portioned meals and then add hundreds more calories to them with 24oz soft drinks. Added sugars in our food is a huge problem in general, but soda makes it so easy to add tons of calories to your daily total.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Assuming this is even true, "kicked off his jet" and "barred from attending press conferences" are not equivalent things.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Even the sugarless sodas gently caress up your teeth and keep you addicted to the taste and sensation. Kicking that habit has done goddamn wonders for my health and outlook.

I'm not saying a consumer-end tax is a good thing, but an outright ban is unlikely to get through. Industrial food should be held more accountable for its effects. Maybe tax the gently caress out of the soda companies?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

itskage posted:

If either of you want to explain how soda's (or sugary drinks in general) don't play a large role in American obesity, then I will listen. But, I have no idea where you're coming from. Soda and other sugary drinks adds hundreds of calories to meals and throughout the day. People go to restaurants and get over portioned meals and then add hundreds more calories to them with 24oz soft drinks. Added sugars in our food is a huge problem in general, but soda makes it so easy to add tons of calories to your daily total.

Because the research on added sugars, and on sugary sodas, was generally very poorly conducted. Because it's not sugars, it's calories- sugar is at most an indirect factor where caloric intake is a direct factor- and it's not a particularly strong factor, at that. Because asserting that the soda, or the sugar, is the causal factor neglects substitution in diet, which both of us were talking about, because it captures the spurious causation problem.

Somfin posted:

Even the sugarless sodas gently caress up your teeth and keep you addicted to the taste and sensation. Kicking that habit has done goddamn wonders for my health and outlook.

I'm not saying a consumer-end tax is a good thing, but an outright ban is unlikely to get through. Industrial food should be held more accountable for its effects. Maybe tax the gently caress out of the soda companies?

Soda isn't addictive. Sugar isn't addictive (unless you're listening to frauds like Lustig). Hell, experts in the field don't even agree that caffeine is addictive. "Industrial food" isn't going to be a central problem or a central solution in dealing with obesity as a public health problem, however appealing a villain Coca Cola et al may make.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 6, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Because the research on added sugars, and on sugary sodas, was generally very poorly conducted. Because it's not sugars, it's calories- sugar is at most an indirect factor where caloric intake is a direct factor. Because asserting that the soda, or the sugar, is the causal factor neglects substitution in diet, which both of us were talking about.

Move them fuckin' goalposts

E: better response: Where, exactly, do you think those calories come from?

Somfin fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 6, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Somfin posted:

Move them fuckin' goalposts

E: better response: Where, exactly, do you think those calories come from?

I'm not moving them an inch- it's the exact same assertion as before. The claim that sugary drinks, or soda, or added sugar, plays an outsize role in obesity in the US is unsupported by quality research, and attempts to tax one of them are unlikely to be effective.

I linked you the article that explains where the calories come from- the answer was specifically not added sugar. The next generation of NHANES dataset studies are probably going to provide more detail, because the people who made the added sugar claims didn't categorize or break down food categories in the dataset properly.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 6, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not moving them an inch- it's the exact same assertion as before. The claim that sugary drinks, or soda, or added sugar, plays an outsize role in obesity in the US is unsupported by quality research, and attempts to tax one of them are unlikely to be effective.

As noted above, where do you think the calories in sugary sodas come from?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Somfin posted:

As noted above, where do you think the calories in sugary sodas come from?

Oh I see, you don't understand the point of disagreement. "weight gain" in this context refers to the national obesity problem. Sugary sodas are not a primary source of the national obesity problem. No one is challenging that caloric sodas have calories in them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh I see, you don't understand the point of disagreement. "weight gain" in this context refers to the national obesity problem. Sugary sodas are not a primary source of the national obesity problem. No one is challenging that caloric sodas have calories in them.

Never really thought the sugar boosters would try to infiltrate SA.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Holy poo poo, DV. Answer the loving question. Where do the calories in sugary sodas come from?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Discendo Vox posted:

Soda isn't addictive. Sugar isn't addictive (unless you're listening to frauds like Lustig). Hell, experts in the field don't even agree that caffeine is addictive.

I'm just a humble backwoods hyperchicken, but I know from personal experience that when I give up caffeine for lent I have motherfucking ants all over me for like two days, and my eyeballs don't fit in their sockets for a week or so.

I've never been hooked to heroin so I don't know how similar the experience is.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Never really thought the sugar boosters would try to infiltrate SA.

I'm actually writing a research project on them right now; it's a weird mess because there's a simultaneous war going on between corn and cane sugar refining interests. That's where you get the "made with real sugar" labeling on things, and the HFCS scares.

Mystic Mongol posted:

I'm just a humble backwoods hyperchicken, but I know from personal experience that when I give up caffeine for lent I have motherfucking ants all over me for like two days, and my eyeballs don't fit in their sockets for a week or so.

It bugs me too, and fwiw it's very divisive. At the conference I went to they nearly came to blows over it. A factor is that if caffeine starts being considered addictive, the research funding stream will likely change and FDA and NIDA will have to examine taking regulatory action. Anyway, derail over. If we want to keep arguing over it, I recommend posting thisathread.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 6, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If calories in sugary soda's don't come from sugars, where do the calories come from?

Wrong thread.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I may not be a nutritionist but I'm pretty sure Wrong Threads don't contain calories.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

World Famous W posted:

I may not be a nutritionist but I'm pretty sure Wrong Threads don't contain calories.

Then explain why so many poo poo posters are fat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fulchrum posted:

Then explain why so many poo poo posters are fat?

It's not the calories, it's ~*magic*~

• Locked thread