Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

All of this talk of GOTYs and not a single mention of A House of Many Doors? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started playing Gears of War. I am not enjoying it

Is it ever explained why the aliens have the same shape and gear as the human soldiers?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

In Training posted:

Ah thank you! Handy to know. The one thing it has over PSX version is Maria mode which was fun to try out but doesn't feel very essential either

I was a little bummed that Maria mode in the PSP one is a different version than on the Saturn. I mean, it's a better, more well-balanced mode, but still!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I started playing Gears of War. I am not enjoying it

Is it ever explained why the aliens have the same shape and gear as the human soldiers?

It's tantalizingly hinted that they're a genetic experiment gone wrong in Gears 2 I believe, then they forgot they did that and made them aliens again.

Gears has... problems. The first one was pretty fun and a great UE3 showcase, impressive for its time, but it hasn't aged well at all, and the sequels are basically pointless. Just like Halo and Fable and anything else MS gets their hands on.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Titanfall 2's multiplayer is incredible. Doom's wishes it'd be this fast-paced and frantic.

I started playing Battlefield 1's multiplayer too. While trying to figure out the controls I accidentally threw a grenade across the map and a few seconds later it killed someone. That was cool.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

GUI posted:

Titanfall 2's multiplayer is incredible. Doom's wishes it'd be this fast-paced and frantic.

I'm pretty sure the Doom devs didn't give a gently caress about the multiplayer and neither should you.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dewgy posted:

It's tantalizingly hinted that they're a genetic experiment gone wrong in Gears 2 I believe, then they forgot they did that and made them aliens again.
I thought they went back to genetic experiments at one point.

Gears' (back)story is really dumb and obviously made up on the fly.

quote:

Gears has... problems. The first one was pretty fun and a great UE3 showcase, impressive for its time, but it hasn't aged well at all, and the sequels are basically pointless. Just like Halo and Fable and anything else MS gets their hands on.
I think the cover-based gameplay is a really good fit for co-op, but I can't imagine playing them singleplayer or as competitive multiplayer.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I'm pretty sure the Doom devs didn't give a gently caress about the multiplayer and neither should you.

They were banking on the MP being a Big Deal (hence the multiple alphas and beta) and the SP bombing actually.

quote:

Bethesda’s VP of PR and marketing Pete Hines has said that he was “surprised” by just how much people took to DOOM’s single-player campaign.

Hines explained him and other various people at Bethesda were worried about the game drawing middling review scores and players, for its more traditional, old-school approach.

“If you are at Bethesda and play the single-player, you might think it’s really fun and different. But you don’t know if you’re drinking your own kool-aid… is it really fun? Or are people going to play it and dislike the fact there’s no voiced protagonist, or the fact there’s no real story, and will they say: ‘id Software hasn’t got out of the 1990s. Same old, same old. 6/10’. You never know which of those two scenarios you’ll end up getting.”

Hines went on to add how he thinks the single-player demo launched a month after its release in June helped lure gamers in.

“We did the single-player demo after launch,” Hines continued. “We had showed off the multiplayer, but we hadn’t managed to show as much of the single-player. So giving folks the chance to try it… well it turned out to be a good idea.”

A free update for DOOM’s campaign mode introducing a brand new Arcade mode is set to release later this year.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dewgy posted:

Halo 3 has better gameplay than Halo, even if the story is a lot dumber

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bethesda, the publishers, are different from Id, who worked on the single-player campaign. The multiplayer was farmed out to a different team entirely.

Also that quote just proves my consistent belief that the people at Bethesda proper don't actually know how to make good games.

People thought Doom looked like dogshit from the multiplayer beta, and that attitude was why Bethesda didn't want to release early copies to reviewers, only trusted influencers, until Nvidia of all places released a single-player gameplay video that showed it was actually fun

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

StrixNebulosa posted:

All of this talk of GOTYs and not a single mention of A House of Many Doors? :(

sorry but Night in the Woods is goty

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

Apparently I wasn't even pronouncing Hylian properly

I was in fourth grade when Ocarina of Time got really big and me and my friends all pronounced it "oh-car-in-a" for like a year.

Also it wasn't until I was an adult that I realized that the Mario enemies weren't named "Latuki" and "Bomb-Omb", which is especially bad considering that I saw the Mario movie in theaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmVeZEB-Qmg&t=10s

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
we are sex bomb bomb

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Guy Mann posted:

I was in fourth grade when Ocarina of Time got really big and me and my friends all pronounced it "oh-car-in-a" for like a year.

Wait, what

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

GUI posted:

They were banking on the MP being a Big Deal (hence the multiple alphas and beta) and the SP bombing actually.

That's Bethesda, and no doubt they pushed for the Multiplayer aspect in the first place, but I'm talking about the devs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

one of the zora in botw sounds a lot like joseph jostar

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

one of the zora in botw sounds a lot like joseph jostar

E:

River City Ransom Underground interim stability patch posted:

Fixed numerous stability / control issues when invoking exit modals in all screens
Fixed dumpsters not being functional in multiplayer games
Fixed friendly fire not being functional in Arena mode
Added story difficulty selection to save file data so it persists between plays
Fixed issues with mid-game arena joining players not being assigned a team or arena stats
Fixed willpower/special meters not reverting to story levels after an arena match
Fixed bug where defense-rich items could cause max energy to reach 0
Fixed macOS builds not storing desynchronization diagnostic files

Apparently this patch is mostly meant to rearrange how data is stored to pave the way for a huge loving upcoming patch.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 6, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If a game isn't available on PC, it doesn't exist.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm finding that I'm really annoyed with myself for not liking Breath of the Wild, for some reason

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I pre-ordered Nier: Automata just now. :O

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I'm finding that I'm really annoyed with myself for not liking Breath of the Wild, for some reason

I'm a huge fan of its world and exploration but I'm hating weapon durability. I gave it the benefit of the doubt before I played it but I honestly think weapons are WAY too fragile. So far I'm like 10 hours in and 95% of the weapons I find don't last two fights.

I still like the basic idea but I think they went way too far with the fragility.

I'm also still loving the game. I usually burn out on "just go explore" worlds quickly but this one's pretty legit. I just dread combat because I rarely feel like I come out having gained anything, or even broke even.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm halfway through botw i guess and i have a strong feeling the last two "dungeons" are going to be just like the first two. i still want to explore the rest of the map but i don't want to get into any more fights, either. burning out fast

the build up to the elephant was cool because it's raining non-stop and the zora king/link's dead zora wife/the jojo zora were cool. + the trek though zora river canyon and the lynel fight heck yeah. and the elephant fight with the prince and 360 waterfall boosted sightscope trick shots hai hai hai

but then the bird is um. go into town. go to the shooting gallery. talk to a guy once. now you're at the bird okay. well then

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only gears of war game i've played is gears of war 2 and it was a lot of fun and really goofy and it's weird to me that the series tried so hard to be serious when the best parts where when you were shooting enemies inside of a giant worm and everyone was shouting about being trapped in a giant worm and you escaped by using your chainsaw gun to chainsaw your way out of a giant worm, and not the parts where a character had to kill his wife because cliff bleszinski wanted to make a controversial political statement that would lose all meaning in a few years

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought they went back to genetic experiments at one point.

Gears' (back)story is really dumb and obviously made up on the fly.

GUI posted:

Gears and Halo both seem to be part of this weird zeitgeist in videogames where all at once people were being tasked to create these elaborate, intricate backstories for their shootman games...all of which was told through comics and novels and ARG websites and absolutely nowhere in the actual games themselves. I don't know when or why this became the thing to do but it always struck me as dumb as hell. Like I don't mind if a game decides to eschew ~deep lore~ in favor of focusing on gameplay, especially in a shooter, but you can always tell that games like this really want you to care about things like who the Locust are and what the deal with that creepy facility is but nah, gotta buy the official tie-in whatever to learn about that poo poo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the gears of war developers gave so much creative control over the series to the book writer that she pretty much decided which characters lived or died. apparently they were gonna kill off an old military guy in gears of war 3 but she liked the role he had in the universe, so they killed the goofy cowboy man instead

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

i am both totally addicted to it and also kinda annoyed at it because i've been playing so much of it and dealing with the same few issues over and over.

i don't like the shrines. they vary in quality and length too much. I would have preferred the shrines in a region to be combined into a single dungeon-like experience with some unique theming and maybe some npc stories to break up the monontony of grinding puzzles for life and stamina and there are too few main dungeons and some optional ones would have really helped.

i hate the inventory system, especially when you can't pick up a new shield or bow because there is no button press to drop them and you have to use the menu.

I also think they start you off with way too little stamina. they should have halved the stamina drain while running imo. the whole world is built around the stamina system for climbing but theres no reason that link shouldn't be able to sprint for much longer. the stamina bar is also really obtrusive but i'm not as annoyed by it while i play.

lastly, they should have some way to size up your enemy's level before you engage with them.

that said, everything else is superb. i'm really impressed and I can only hope they bring the same fresh thinking to mario later this year.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 6, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The original premis of Gears is super awesome. That humanity went out and colonized this planet and built a thriving civilization over hundreds of years. And then it turned out that hostile aliens had been hibernating deep underground since before they ever got there. Like, all the gleaming cities that were built, were built thinking they were alone on this planet. But it was never their planet. The locust had been there the whole time, doing what locust do: hibernating deep underground.

Insects have lifespans measured in days and weeks, and yet cicadas sleep for 13-16 years before swarming to the surface. Gears is about what if a hostile humanoid race worked like cicadas. And that's a cool episode of star trek.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Colonel posted:

the gears of war developers gave so much creative control over the series to the book writer that she pretty much decided which characters lived or died

Was it Karin Traviss? It seemed like everybody was hiring her to write their tie-in fiction for a while. You've got to be aware that you hosed up somewhere along the line when even George Lucas thinks you suck too much to be allowed to write Star Wars novels.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gears of War depicts a future in which humans have helicopters, chainsaw guns, and laser satellites, but not ground penetrating radar or seismographs. So instead they rig up some kind of one use only, handmade sonar bomb.

Also, I really can't stress enough how much I hate it that the enemies and your allies have the exact same silhouette.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

i am both totally addicted to it and also kinda annoyed at it because i've been playing so much of it and dealing with the same few issues over and over.

i don't like the shrines. they vary in quality and length too much. I would have preferred the shrines in a region to be combined into a single dungeon-like experience with some unique theming and maybe some npc stories to break up the monontony of grinding puzzles for life and stamina and there are too few main dungeons and some optional ones would have really helped.

i hate the inventory system, especially when you can't pick up a new shield or bow because there is no button press to drop them and you have to use the menu.

I also think they start you off with way too little stamina. they should have halved the stamina drain while running imo. the whole world is built around the stamina system for climbing but theres no reason that link shouldn't be able to sprint for much longer. the stamina bar is also really obtrusive but i'm not as annoyed by it while i play.

lastly, they should have some way to size up your enemy's level before you engage with them.

that said, everything else is superb. i'm really impressed and I can only hope they bring the same fresh thinking to mario later this year.

The thing for me is I can't quite suss out why the game isn't appealing to me

I did find myself irritated at the limited stamina, the inventory system and the framerate problems but I would have thought those wouldn't be killers for me. Maybe they are! Maybe I'm just that shallow when it comes to games nowadays!

It'll be an interesting experiment to see how I feel about NieR: Automata tomorrow evening. Still an open world RPG but with more action and less exploration/survival elements. Maybe that'll help explain why I didn't grab onto Breath of the WIld, here.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm not really attaching to Horizon Zero Dawn either, and the common thread between the two games seems to be open world and exploration, so all I can conclude for sure is maybe I don't like those sorts of games anymore??

It's baffling that I don't know exactly why I dislike games :psypop:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Colonel posted:

the only gears of war game i've played is gears of war 2 and it was a lot of fun and really goofy and it's weird to me that the series tried so hard to be serious when the best parts where when you were shooting enemies inside of a giant worm and everyone was shouting about being trapped in a giant worm and you escaped by using your chainsaw gun to chainsaw your way out of a giant worm, and not the parts where a character had to kill his wife because cliff bleszinski wanted to make a controversial political statement that would lose all meaning in a few years

Holy drat, in Gears 3 when friggin' Dominic sacrificed himself and "Mad World" started playing and everything was going in slow motion, I was thinking, "Seriously?"

I'm not spoiling because that story had thoroughly gone off the rails in that game and also I'm pretty sure no one cares in this thread.

I'm linking it look at this dumb BS also comedy option, I can't tell if the uploader was being ironic in their description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBvDC9v5vyc

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

i'm halfway through botw i guess and i have a strong feeling the last two "dungeons" are going to be just like the first two. i still want to explore the rest of the map but i don't want to get into any more fights, either. burning out fast

Real hurthling! posted:

Breath of the Wild: The Phantom Pain

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

Breath of the Wild: The Phantom Pain

Someone repost that drawing of an older, head-impaled Link

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not really attaching to Horizon Zero Dawn either, and the common thread between the two games seems to be open world and exploration, so all I can conclude for sure is maybe I don't like those sorts of games anymore??

One day I woke up and discovered I couldn't play JRPGs anymore. I used to eat those things up, I played so much Chrono Trigger I had every character at level 99, then all at once I just...didn't want to play them anymore. I think it was Rogue Galaxy where I was like "actually I'm not having any fun with this, and I don't think it's just this particular game."

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the controls and options in PP were good enough that i never got annoyed in it but i can see what you mean

i've gotten back into jrpgs lately but now i limit myself only to modern ones with quality of life features like control over when you fight battles. My 20 ps1 jrpgs on vita are probably never gonna get finished

Ciaphas posted:

horizon had me really into it but i stopped playing more than a mission or so a day when i got zelda cause of the new system fever and i'm having a hard time getting back into it idk.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 6, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kai Tave posted:

I think it was Rogue Galaxy where I was like "actually I'm not having any fun with this, and I don't think it's just this particular game."

are you sure about that

seriously i pretty much never see anyone say rogue galaxy doesn't at least have some really awful chunks

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rogue galaxy grabs you hard at the start and straight up murders your interest in it after about 4-5 chapters

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

GUI posted:

I started playing Battlefield 1's multiplayer too. While trying to figure out the controls I accidentally threw a grenade across the map and a few seconds later it killed someone. That was cool.

Titanfall 2 multiplayer is indeed a ton of fun. I've burnt out on it because of playing probably 150 hours of it with goons but those were some good times. They did a great job with all the abilities and the map design. Bounty hunt was a nice new game type that hasn't been done before. I'd say the only major flaw is too few maps.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

Titanfall 2 multiplayer is indeed a ton of fun. I've burnt out on it because of playing probably 150 hours of it with goons but those were some good times. They did a great job with all the abilities and the map design. Bounty hunt was a nice new game type that hasn't been done before. I'd say the only major flaw is too few maps.

yeah it was my most played game from launch until February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wamdoodle posted:

Holy drat, in Gears 3 when friggin' Dominic sacrificed himself and "Mad World" started playing and everything was going in slow motion, I was thinking, "Seriously?"

I'm not spoiling because that story had thoroughly gone off the rails in that game and also I'm pretty sure no one cares in this thread.

I laughed my arse off at how overwrought that scene was, it was fantastic.

It's also meant to be a callback to a trailer for the first game, for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy8LRlS1SCc

• Locked thread