Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

jules verne is 'classic' in the genre of science fiction and in the sense that he was written a long time ago but no one considers his poo poo 'classic' in the sense of 'highbrow' and for the love of god can we stop talking about genre fiction in the only thread in this subforum not dedicated to genre fiction

also using the term 'classics' to point to any referent other than greco-roman works of antiquity is indicative of a bad brain

Your decision to categorize brains as "bad" and "good" based on a persons use of a single word is indicative of something, surely. I sentence you to read and reread The Maimed until you come to grips with the extraordinary mundanity of the perverse, and extraordinary perversity of the mundane.

If you really cared about highbrow literature, why would this not be evident in the way that you compose your forum posts? Our lives cannot be other but manifestations of our core beliefs. The slipshod way that you use the language indicates not a reverence for language, but rather a dismissive posture. Do you love literature? Or do you love using literature to label other people with "bad brains?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CountFosco posted:

Your decision to categorize brains as "bad" and "good" based on a persons use of a single word is indicative of something, surely. I sentence you to read and reread The Maimed until you come to grips with the extraordinary mundanity of the perverse, and extraordinary perversity of the mundane.

If you really cared about highbrow literature, why would this not be evident in the way that you compose your forum posts? Our lives cannot be other but manifestations of our core beliefs. The slipshod way that you use the language indicates not a reverence for language, but rather a dismissive posture. Do you love literature? Or do you love using literature to label other people with "bad brains?"

classic countfosco

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

CountFosco posted:

This thread is postmodern/metamodern/post-sincerity/mumblecore and your stupid posts do not work here

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I've been reading Julian Jaynes' On the Origins of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind and Aleister Crowley's 'translation' of the Tao te Ching simultaneously and I'm now insanely enlightened.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Hey man, get yourself some Gurdjieff, Casteneda, and watch El Topo and you'll be all set for the week buddy.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

CountFosco posted:

Exhibit 1: idiots compensate for their sad tiny brains by using excessively proper wordage on the internet.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

CountFosco posted:

Lol

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

CountFosco posted:

Do you love literature? Or do you love using literature to label other people with "bad brains?"

it's the second one

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Bandiet posted:

Exhibit 1: idiots compensate for their sad tiny brains by using excessively proper wordage on the internet.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
ironic poo poo posting is enlightenment

jk i was sincere the whole time

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CountFosco posted:

All fiction is genre fiction. I've read the most fantastical, unrealistic things in "realist" fiction.

hey man this is from the last page or whatever but the post you were responding to wasn't setting up a dichotomy between 'genre fiction' and 'realism', and basically no one in this thread has done that

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Grandmother of Five posted:

I hope not, but from my experience you can get called a troll on some of the subforums by saying stuff like "it is sad that people die from drugs" or "please be kind to animals".

Anyway, I am going to read a bunch of stuff by Dan Turčll which was recommended to me in the Scandinavian thread. I'm obviously going to read it in Danish, since that is the original language & I speak it, but if anyone is interested in Scandinavian literature in general, it is my experience that translation between English and the Nordic language is often of a high quality, and if you're looking at any particular recommendations on original works or translation, I'm guessing that a bunch of people from the Scandinavian thread would be glad to give recommendations.

I don't know if you all use it already, but the various regional threads are a potentially pretty useful resource to be aware of imo when looking into translated works.

read Aquarium by David Vann

CountFosco posted:

:whitewater:

you too though, read Aquarium

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

A human heart posted:

Miracle of the rose is another very good genet, can't remember what translation i read though. you could try mishima i guess although the gay sex there is more implied most of the time

ok i'll give that a shot. my friend is already a big mishima fan so he had a book lined up for that

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm assuming you've read Oscar Wilde yeah

no i dont think so, maybe a short story in high school english class. any recommendations?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Reading Lolita for the first time and I'm just like :stonk: :stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

idiot of the legal system posted:

Reading Lolita for the first time and I'm just like :stonk: :stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

:getin:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

VostokProgram posted:

ok i'll give that a shot. my friend is already a big mishima fan so he had a book lined up for that

no i dont think so, maybe a short story in high school english class. any recommendations?

Wilde is at his funniest in The Importance of Being Earnest, which itself is pretty well representative of his pre-prison work. I have trouble imagining anyone, regardless of reading level or taste in books, disliking that play. So read that, and if you do like it, you can't go wrong with his other plays and Picture.

You can read "The Ballad of Reading Gaol" here.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

fridge corn posted:

im reading some super mario vargas llosa

Which one?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ulvir posted:

Which one?

The war of the end of the world

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

at the date posted:

Wilde is at his funniest in The Importance of Being Earnest, which itself is pretty well representative of his pre-prison work. I have trouble imagining anyone, regardless of reading level or taste in books, disliking that play.

the constant wisecracking annoyed the hell out of me, sorry dude.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Burning Rain posted:

Same exactly. Half of Dorian Grey is good though!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Burning Rain posted:

Mr. Squishy posted:

Same exactly.

what pathetic miserable lives yours must be

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
More seriously: the constant wisecracking is awfully funny, for one—and besides being extremely enjoyable to read, just emphasizes what Wilde saw as the inherent triviality of the British leisure class, who are, one and all, overeducated and overprivileged twits wasting their abundant cleverness bickering over muffins.

e: PLUS, Wilde is the natural evolution of the subtle satire of Austen, the criticism of Ruskin, and the wit of Swift, and is himself the clear artistic father of Evelyn Waugh, Tom Stoppard, Whit Stillman, Richard Fariņa, Terry Gilliam, Thomas Mann, Sean O'Casey, John Barth, not to mention the whole vague notion of "British humor"... and was one of the first figures of the modern era to make people think twice about how society treats homosexuals. If all you care about is being able to speak with some authority about Literature-Don't-You-Know-Old-Bean, then you could do worse than to start your survey of the 20th C. with Wilde.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 5, 2017

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

fridge corn posted:

The war of the end of the world

That's a fun book

Re: Wilde, I found Dorian Gray's posho decadence wildly repugnant and I'm not going to read any more of him

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Ras Het posted:

Re: Wilde, I found Dorian Gray's posho decadence wildly repugnant and I'm not going to read any more of him

I mean, OK, but you understand that was the point, right? Wilde was obviously shooting for that reaction. Right?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

at the date posted:

I mean, OK, but you understand that was the point, right? Wilde was obviously shooting for that reaction. Right?

Well, yes and no: you can write about all kinds of garbage, conscious that its garbage, but that consciousness doesn't mean that it also isn't garbage to read. Autobiographical stories of drug use are the worst offenders in this regard, but there's plenty of upper class twittery that has the same effect

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I can't stop reading it but also every page has me screaming internally, sometimes externally

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Ras Het posted:

Well, yes and no: you can write about all kinds of garbage, conscious that its garbage, but that consciousness doesn't mean that it also isn't garbage to read. Autobiographical stories of drug use are the worst offenders in this regard, but there's plenty of upper class twittery that has the same effect

Never really thought about that but Junkie and Fear and Loathing... both suck extremely hard so that checks out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

WatermelonGun posted:

Never really thought about that but Junkie and Fear and Loathing... both suck extremely hard so that checks out.

Junkie is an interesting view on the drug-using counter culture, addiction and poverty of 1940's American metropolis, mainly NYC. It's more about the effect of drugs and the prosecution of the users instead of advocating drug use, since it's directly saying they are basically a contract with the devil. The book is more about rehab and withdrawal than shooting up. It's hard to condemn it, since it only takes an afternoon to read.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I quite liked Junkie, it was a quick, enjoyable read that flowed very well.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dead Goon posted:

I quite liked Junkie, it was a quick, enjoyable read that flowed very well.

The section that compares Marijuana users to other drug users is one of the best (and funniest) descriptions of weed and pot head delusions in anything I've read.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Guy A. Person posted:

read Aquarium by David Vann

Would you write some more words about why? The problem with figuring out what to read isn't a lack of good stuff, but having a near endless amount of it & I've got a bunch on my to-read list & a one-line recommendation by someone I don't know is gonna take forever to get around to.

I realize you don't owe me your time, but in the context of giving recommendations to faceless strangers it seems completely pointless to expect people to follow up on that & I'm personally so brimming with sincerity and care that I am assuming you bothered recommending it because you like it a bunch and would genuinely like for others to enjoy it, as well.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Would you write some more words about why? The problem with figuring out what to read isn't a lack of good stuff, but having a near endless amount of it & I've got a bunch on my to-read list & a one-line recommendation by someone I don't know is gonna take forever to get around to.

I realize you don't owe me your time, but in the context of giving recommendations to faceless strangers it seems completely pointless to expect people to follow up on that & I'm personally so brimming with sincerity and care that I am assuming you bothered recommending it because you like it a bunch and would genuinely like for others to enjoy it, as well.

Everyone in this thread has read Aquarium

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

fridge corn posted:

I don't know enough about this thread to know whether that is good or bad. Also, I'm stupid and foreign & if an author is English or American odds are pretty poor that I'd ever see or hear mention of it irl.

I'll judge everyone itt harsly when I read it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'll judge everyone itt harsly when I read it.

hah! yeah good luck with that when your mind is blown out the back of your head

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aquarium gets recommended by multiple thread regulars almost once a page.

It presents a misleading concept in the best way possible, and instead presents an emotionally draining (and ultimately fulfilling) coming-of-age exploration of abuse (mental, emotional, sometimes physical), how we grapple with survival against oppression, and forgiveness, trust, and the bonds of family.

It handles these themes with depth, precise writing that flows by with excellent pacing and strong characters. In addition, the print copy has lovely photographs of colorful, unique fish.

I read it in one sitting in a single afternoon, which is almost impossible for me.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Thanks! I should make a point of ordering the hardcover version, then.

On one hand I'm looking forward to it, but on the other hand, the last person from on-line who said that a book would blow me away & toy with my expectations was recommending me A House of Leaves, so I really just hope that I can read this book without holding it upside-down.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A queery cum

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Just curious about something that might be veering off-topic again, but how good is the US public library system? Like, is it state-based, or can you order home a book from wherever, and are there user-fees? I'll gently caress of to an appropriaye Ask/Tell thread if that's a better fit, but if the question goes well enough in here I'd be interested in how useful people from the US and elsewhere feel that their public library systems are, and to what degree you have to pay for services.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

My local library rents out rowboats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

fridge corn posted:

not me