Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Real hurthling! posted:

Rogue galaxy grabs you hard at the start and straight up murders your interest in it after about 4-5 chapters

I did the noir planet with the dog and it was great and then I stopped playing because it was boring again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I got Horizon on Wednesday and have already put 30 hours into it, so that's about 6 hours a day.

This year I've already beaten Doom, Superhot, The Witness (minus the challenge), Watch Dogs 2, Mafia III, and Nioh. I think I may complete more games this year than in any other previous

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

horizon had me really into it but i stopped playing more than a mission or so a day when i got zelda cause of the new system fever and i'm having a hard time getting back into it idk.

Playing more than one open world game at a time is on my "never do this ever" list because I will burn out fast on the style of game. I'm sticking to Horizon until I finish it and playing puzzle games and R6 Siege when I feel like taking a break. When I finish it, then and only then does it become Zelda time but I might stick Nier in between to take a short break from the open world format.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

bloodychill posted:

I might stick Nier in between to take a short break from the open world format.

Uh, you may want to take a closer look at that one

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Colonel posted:

are you sure about that

seriously i pretty much never see anyone say rogue galaxy doesn't at least have some really awful chunks

Oh it does, I remember tons of bland hallways and random encounters and poo poo and for every cool concept that made me want to play some more it was met with at least two other things I found kind of insufferable, but I also bounced off of Dragon Quest VIII and that game isn't really bad. I never beat FFX but I remember liking it, but after that I just kinda gradually cooled on modern JRPGs even though I know there are supposed to be some good ones out there.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i am 1/2 way through nioh (4th region) and i'm waiting for it to shake things up. i heard the end levels get wacky. i play about a mission a day, only takes like an hour.

afaik nier's world its just space to travel through doing the linear story its not going to be the same as zelda or hzd which seem to have much more potential for getting lost doing gently caress all in a map corner for hours and hours

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kai Tave posted:

Was it Karin Traviss? It seemed like everybody was hiring her to write their tie-in fiction for a while. You've got to be aware that you hosed up somewhere along the line when even George Lucas thinks you suck too much to be allowed to write Star Wars novels.

For people who don't know, Karen Traviss wrote a bunch of Star Wars novels about the Mandalorians. The people from whom Boba Fett got his armor. Because it the Star Wars universe, so Boba Fett's armor needs multiple novels of backstory. She built them up as this very militaristic, martial, warrior society. They were better sword fighters than the Jedi, and in fact could kill tons of Jedi anytime they wanted, but didn't even bother because it was so easy. They had special swords that lightsabers couldn't cut, and were much better than lightsabers, which were for pussies. Basically, she wrote the Mandalorians to be the most OP super soldiers of all time.

Then the Star Wars cartoon had an episode set on Mandalor. In the Star Wars canon, the cartoon is higher level than the books, so if the cartoon and the books disagree, the books are wrong and whatever the cartoon says is canon. In the cartoon episode, Mandalor is a peaceful social democracy. There's some right-wing extremists who want everything to be more like the great martial past, but it's explained that that past is just a myth, Mandalor was never home to crazy warrior world, and all the extremists get defeated by the Jedi and go to jail

After that episode came out, Karen Traviss publicly announced that she would never write another Star Wars novel again

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

She also wrote tons and tons of stories where Jedi were huge assholes and totally deserved to be killed by the heroic clone troopers because the clone troopers were clones of a MANDALORIAN so they had free will and honor, despite the movies blatantly showing that to not be the case. Then when someone asked her why she writes Jedis as such dickheads in her books, she basically said if you don't hate Jedi you're a nazi.

I wonder what exactly the Star Wars book publishing division was like where you could have someone like that writing major stories for your official line and no one says "Hmm this is kinda the opposite of what our brand is about."

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

i am 1/2 way through nioh (4th region) and i'm waiting for it to shake things up. i heard the end levels get wacky. i play about a mission a day, only takes like an hour.

afaik nier's world its just space to travel through doing the linear story its not going to be the same as zelda or hzd which seem to have much more potential for getting lost doing gently caress all in a map corner for hours and hours

well there are sidequests that can have you running all over the place but you're right that it's not really an open-world gently caress around game to the same degree zelda and hzd are

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Karin Traviss is basically a run of the mill mil-scifi writer which means she likes writing books about how badass soldiers are and how everybody who isn't a martial honor manly man making hard decisions is, as Guy Goodbody puts it, a huge pussy and/or actively a hindrance to the right and proper manly military men who make all the right decisions something something code of honor brothers etc. In that respect she's a perfect fit for both Gears and Halo, but the stuff she wrote for Star Wars was bad even by the standards of Star Wars fiction which might seem like a bar so low you couldn't limbo under it and yet. It was the equivalent of taking a masturbatory internet discussion about how the Empire are actually the good guys and the Rebels are terrorists and turning it into official fiction.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

She also wrote tons and tons of stories where Jedi were huge assholes and totally deserved to be killed by the heroic clone troopers because the clone troopers were clones of a MANDALORIAN so they had free will and honor, despite the movies blatantly showing that to not be the case. Then when someone asked her why she writes Jedis as such dickheads in her books, she basically said if you don't hate Jedi you're a nazi.

I wonder what exactly the Star Wars book publishing division was like where you could have someone like that writing major stories for your official line and no one says "Hmm this is kinda the opposite of what our brand is about."

The funny thing about this is that there is a mandalorian in KotoR who fits her version and he's a decent enough character but he's uh also pretty evil so... yeah. Actually fitting for the mil sci fi race to be kinda bad guys in comparison to the Jedi.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Uh, you may want to take a closer look at that one

What Real Hurthling said.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bloodychill posted:

The funny thing about this is that there is a mandalorian in KotoR who fits her version and he's a decent enough character but he's uh also pretty evil so... yeah. Actually fitting for the mil sci fi race to be kinda bad guys in comparison to the Jedi.
I think KotOR predates her stuff by a bit, so the whole idea of the Mandalorians being a society of elite warriors doesn't really originate with her.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Also at one point there was a Gears of War official comic that claimed that there were some kind of "breeding camps" were women were enslaved to breed super soldiers, and while that kind of stuff could be justified in a horrific dystopian sci fi setting, I have no idea how it made its way into Gears of War as something the good guys do.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

for anyone else that's playing Zelda: how do you deal with the enemies that are just mouths that spit enemies at you

I did it once and now I can't remember how I took care of it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

Also at one point there was a Gears of War official comic that claimed that there were some kind of "breeding camps" were women were enslaved to breed super soldiers, and while that kind of stuff could be justified in a horrific dystopian sci fi setting, I have no idea how it made its way into Gears of War as something the good guys do.

It's like 40k in that there are no good guys.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

40k is not a setting anyone should want to emulate.

Anyway as I recall Cliffy B was like "Holy poo poo that is not canon at all, you guys."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Fun fact about the Halo novels, it turns out that the Covenant interrupted a human civil war. A bunch of frontier planets were rebelling against the United Nations, and the war was basically insurrectionists doing suicide bombings and then the UNSC showing up and massacring insurrectionists. That's why Master Chief was created, to fight that war.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I have read a couple Halo novels, and both of them were worse than any 40k novels I've read. And I read 40k novels, so my standards ain't exactly high

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I laughed my arse off at how overwrought that scene was, it was fantastic.

It's also meant to be a callback to a trailer for the first game, for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy8LRlS1SCc

I remember Mad World coming up a couple of times in the series' ads and I thought that was such a huge tonal whiplash, at least for me. I never saw the story as anything more than dumb dialogue between action scenes.

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah there was this dumb poo poo too, lol. Like they were trying to be a low rent 40,000K or something and even then Warhammer has nothing like that. At least I don't think so. That is a deep well of silly lore.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Guy Goodbody posted:

Fun fact about the Halo novels, it turns out that the Covenant interrupted a human civil war. A bunch of frontier planets were rebelling against the United Nations, and the war was basically insurrectionists doing suicide bombings and then the UNSC showing up and massacring insurrectionists. That's why Master Chief was created, to fight that war.

I have read a couple Halo novels, and both of them were worse than any 40k novels I've read. And I read 40k novels, so my standards ain't exactly high

Originally Halo was supposed to take place in the same universe as Marathon, so I'm not sure how that all ties in.

40k novels are not particularly good but yeah they put Halo to shame if only because they have so much fluff to draw upon.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

Master Chief and all the other first-wave Spartans were also made by kidnapping children with genetic makeups compatible with all the untested soldier enhancements that they were slated to undergo. In order to cover this up all of the kids were quick-cloned to create duplicates that would replace them, only this process was incredibly unstable and made the clones all die of various cancers within a few years. So then all the kidnapped children essentially got indoctrinated and experimented upon, with a bunch of them dying in the process, and the rest being turned into Spartans.

So basically Halo is Warhammer 40K and the Spartans are literally 40K Space Marines and you'd never loving know any of this just by playing the first Halo because it tells you literally none of this, I'm not sure they even touch on any of this stuff until maybe you start getting into Reach and the games after that where Halsey makes the jump from novel-only to a character in the games.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh yeah there was this dumb poo poo too, lol. Like they were trying to be a low rent 40,000K or something and even then Warhammer has nothing like that. At least I don't think so. That is a deep well of silly lore.

Yeah, 40k has some terrible poo poo and the Imperium is specifically supposed to be this terrible xenophobic war machine that unknowingly feeds the daemons their power through rage but at least there are no weird rape cults outside the poo poo that Slaaneshi cults and the Dark Eldar have. And those are definitely the "badder" guys.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

I read some of the oldest 40k sourcebooks and it's a shame the series went and took a turn for the up-its-own-rear end serious dumb poo poo, it was way more charming when it was Judge Dredd Fights Orcs.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

I read some of the oldest 40k sourcebooks and it's a shame the series went and took a turn for the up-its-own-rear end serious dumb poo poo, it was way more charming when it was Judge Dredd Fights Orcs.

It's still pretty silly

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought they went back to genetic experiments at one point.

Gears' (back)story is really dumb and obviously made up on the fly.

I think the cover-based gameplay is a really good fit for co-op, but I can't imagine playing them singleplayer or as competitive multiplayer.

Gears multiplayer DM is one of the worst things I have ever played.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 6, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The best piece of fiction in either the Halo or Gears series was that one live-action trailer for Halo ODST

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
never forget the originator of hosed up backstory only communicated in novelization

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

raditts posted:

Gears multiplayer DM is one of the worst things I have ever played.

It was some of the slowest drat DM, also

Guy Goodbody posted:

the enemies and your allies have the exact same silhouette.

drove me up the dang wall.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Colonel posted:

never forget the originator of hosed up backstory only communicated in novelization

Pffff.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

What are you talking about, blaster master gives you the entire "story" in the instruction manual

quote:

"This game is about a guy named Jason.

"Jason had a pet frog named Fred. One day, Fred decided he had enough of being locked up in a fish bowl and made a dash for the door. As fate would have it, Jason was there when all this happened and he gave chase. Once outside, Jason was totally amazed to find Fred running toward a huge radioactive chest. As soon as Fred touched it, he grew to an enormous size , and the radioactive chest fell into the earth along with Fred. Jason tried to reach for Fred but fell into the hole along with him."

"When Fred (It should say Jason) landed, he found himself, alone next to a huge armoured vehicle. This was not just any vehicle, but one designed for the ultimate challenge against the radioactive mutants living under the Earth's crust. These mutants, created from escaped radioactive waste, are controlled by the Plutonium Boss.

"Your mission is to fight your way and destroy the Plutonium Boss before he destroys you.

"Along the way to your final encounter are many warlords ofthee underground you must destroy."

It even has an attract mode cinematic that depicts the whole story in still pictures.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I really want to know if that's the plot for the Blaster Master remake that's coming out soon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

corn in the bible posted:

sorry but Night in the Woods is goty

That and Horizon are my wife's picks, I haven't played NitW enough to say one way or the other but I trust her

so yeah, this year has already been one of the best years for games in recent memory, it's insane

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Every year is a good year if you're a gamer

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

GUI posted:

Titanfall 2's multiplayer is incredible. Doom's wishes it'd be this fast-paced and frantic.

I started playing Battlefield 1's multiplayer too. While trying to figure out the controls I accidentally threw a grenade across the map and a few seconds later it killed someone. That was cool.
Doom's multiplayer is really bad and was developed by a different studio than singleplayer. Like, nobody even considers Doom multiplayer a thing comparable to other games. Also the entire season pass is focused on it because the publisher is clueless

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I wish they'd release a "Doom 2016: Singleplayer Only" version so I could shave 40-some GB off the install size.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Phoenix Wright has been interesting, because usually it's the defence attorneys who are depicted as slimy slimeballs in media, not the prosecutors

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Phoenix Wright has been interesting, because usually it's the defence attorneys who are depicted as slimy slimeballs in media, not the prosecutors
Probably a cultural thing. In Japan trials are pretty much show things where even if you're found not guilty you're expected to beg for forgiveness from society, and it's really difficult to get a not guilty without irrefutable proof you couldn't have done it. Probably has to do with their crime rate being much lower.

Red Bones posted:

I really want to know if that's the plot for the Blaster Master remake that's coming out soon.

they've actually shown the protagonist carrying a frog in some of the promo art, so probably

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endorph posted:

Probably a cultural thing. In Japan trials are pretty much show things where even if you're found not guilty you're expected to beg for forgiveness from society, and it's really difficult to get a not guilty without irrefutable proof you couldn't have done it. Probably has to do with their crime rate being much lower.

Defense attorneys are looked upon even more poorly in Japan than in the US, which is what makes the Phoenix Wright series so interesting. It's basically a criticism of Japan's legal system disguised as a rad adventure game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
apparently the backstory for blaster master zero is actually a fusion of the jp and us plots, so it's about a space soldier who also has a pet frog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

FirstAidKite is going to buy me a pizza and take me to a movie.

Cool, really swell of you to give me money to buy you a pizza and movie tickets :D

• Locked thread