Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That makes sense, thanks. I've never bought sun-dried tomatoes before.

Related to a different dish, what does it mean when the cream on top of a can of coconut milk is more wax than cream? Like you would cut it rather than scoop it. It smelled fine, looked fine, and tasted fine.

It's the cream, you should 2-3 tablespoons of it to cook up your curry paste (for thai food) before adding the rest of your ingredients. You can stir it up if you need the entire can to be homogeneous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, I had just always seen the cream as a thick liquid like dairy cream. I wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with it.

Is there a ratio for coconut cream vs paste? I'm probably going to do 5 or so tbsp for a triple batch of curry. Should I stir the rest up to homogenize?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Need some breakfast advice.

I need suggestions for breakfasts that are either super quick to make or can be prepped the night before. The problem arises in that my wife get's sick in the morning if she has sweets or eggs that aren't baked into something (if it's baked into something like a muffin she's fine, but like an egg cooked in a pan makes her super sick).

99% of breakfast stuff seems to be either sweet or have eggs. She tried doing fruit/spinach smoothies in the morning but they're not filling enough and she's hungry an hour or two later.

We don't have more than about 15 minutes in the morning to prep food as we're already getting up at 5:30 and don't want to get up earlier. So we need stuff that's either quick to make or something that can be prepped the night before.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Oatmeal? It's filling as anything, and is as sweet as whatever you add to it. You could try baking your own granola as well. You can bake a ton of it, and keep it in a sealed container for a week or two.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Baked breakfast bars. You can make them like 90% oats, and you can bake up a whole pan on Sunday for the week.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Am I blind or is there no thread for indian/pakistani/bangladeshi food? The king of foods.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Jippa posted:

Am I blind or is there no thread for indian/pakistani/bangladeshi food? The king of foods.

You're blind.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774083

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Mordiceius posted:

Standard advice I give everyone - Cook a weeks worth of Steel Cut Oats on a Sunday. Allow to cool, divide into 5-7 portions and put them in jars. Chuck the jars in the freezer. Reheat as necessary.

Jippa posted:

Yes there is, it's right here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mordiceius posted:

I need suggestions for breakfasts that are either super quick to make or can be prepped the night before. The problem arises in that my wife get's sick in the morning if she has sweets or eggs that aren't baked into something (if it's baked into something like a muffin she's fine, but like an egg cooked in a pan makes her super sick).

99% of breakfast stuff seems to be either sweet or have eggs. She tried doing fruit/spinach smoothies in the morning but they're not filling enough and she's hungry an hour or two later.

We don't have more than about 15 minutes in the morning to prep food as we're already getting up at 5:30 and don't want to get up earlier. So we need stuff that's either quick to make or something that can be prepped the night before.

Bake sweet potatoes, can be done night before. Use half of one, microwave to reheat for 1 min. Fry up 2 or 3 eggs in butter, takes 2-3 mins tops, dump those on sweet potato, add salt. I can make and eat this before my pot of coffee finishes. The runny yolks and salt taste real nice with the sweet potatoes. That's my go to quick breakfast.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

That Works posted:

Bake sweet potatoes, can be done night before. Use half of one, microwave to reheat for 1 min. Fry up 2 or 3 eggs in butter, takes 2-3 mins tops, dump those on sweet potato, add salt. I can make and eat this before my pot of coffee finishes. The runny yolks and salt taste real nice with the sweet potatoes. That's my go to quick breakfast.

His wife can't eat eggs unless they are baked into something, like as an ingredient.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Uhhh bread? Waffles.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Apologies it was second page

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

His wife can't eat eggs unless they are baked into something, like as an ingredient.

Oh gently caress I read right over that.

I also make breakfast bars by baking up 3-4 sweet potatoes, peel and let cool. Add 1 over ripe banana, dash of vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg, add in 18 eggs and beat until smooth, pour into baking 8x16 dish, cook for 2h at 250F then cool, cut into 6 squares and wrap each in Saran Wrap, makes a very filling and cheap breakfast bar that can be eaten on the go.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

She tried doing fruit/spinach smoothies in the morning but they're not filling enough and she's hungry an hour or two later.

Oats and/or protein powder.

Oats in your smoothie can be an acquired taste, but toasting them and finely blending them (you can grind a bunch up ahead and store them for several days) makes them much less... oat-y. You can also just grind 'em up straight if the texture is more off-putting than the raw oat flavor.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Make kedgeree.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Any food is a breakfast food if you want it to be. You could do a brown rice bowl with greens and crumbled bacon, or a piece of fruit and a handful of nuts, or anything else you want. You make the rules.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

The above mentioned protein powder will help a smoothie be more filling, as will chia seeds.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Anne Whateley posted:

Any food is a breakfast food if you want it to be. You could do a brown rice bowl with greens and crumbled bacon, or a piece of fruit and a handful of nuts, or anything else you want. You make the rules.

Seconded.

I often have leftovers for breakfast, sometimes a can of soup, or other lunch stuff. Chili is great, too. As long as there's some protein I'm usually not too hungry.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Mordiceius posted:

I will sometimes spend a weekend afternoon making black bean and roasted sweet potato burritos to freeze. I put in onion/spinach/brown rice too but whatever you want is fine. I make them pretty small because breakfast. Then you wrap them in plastic and put them all in a freezer container or bag of some kind. To reheat you wrap one in a damp paper towel and put in the microwave for 3 minutes, flipping halfway. I claim that these are for breakfast but they become lazy night dinners just as often.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I need a lunch dish I can meal prep for the week. I'm trying to bulk up a bit. The past two weeks I've done breakfast burritos for breakfast. Baked chicken with brown rice and vegetables for lunch. Steak for dinner with sweet potatoes, sautéed greens, broccoli.

Breakfast and dinner are fine but the lunch is so god drat bland, boring and I just hate it. Also doesn't help it's like the exact same dinner I've eaten tons of times.

I was thinking maybe some sort of whole grain pasta or quinoa pasta with like chicken and vegetables. But id love some sort of sauce/glaze and I have no idea what to make. I could steal an electric wok from my parents house and was actually thinking of doing a stir fry. Any one have any other suggestions?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I could steal an electric wok from my parents house and was actually thinking of doing a stir fry. Any one have any other suggestions?

Stir fry is an excellent candidate for make-on-the-weekend meals, and it's pretty versatile, there aren't really any meats or vegetables that don't work with it. For a simple sauce, grate some ginger into soy sauce, maybe a splash of sesame oil or hot oil, maybe a little sugar. To turn it into a glaze or a thicker sauce, use corn starch. Flash Gordon Ramsay has a good technique for this, but I can't find the original post at the moment. Basically, separate a smaller quantity of the sauce to a ramekin or pyrex or whatever, whisk in corn starch, then cook it in the wok until it turns from pale to translucent, then whisk in the rest of the sauce.

Another good one is bibimbap, make the same sauce and stick it in a ziplock bag with some pork chops for a few hours in the refrigerator, then put them under a broiler. Steam or stir-fry your choice of vegetables, slice the meat thin, serve over rice. A Mr. Bento is pretty handy for taking it to work, since it can keep the rice, vegetables, meat, and side dish separate until you're ready for lunch.

Two equipment notes:
- Lots of cheap electric woks have 'bang-bang' controls like a furnace thermostat; they heat up at full blast to a point you set on the dial, then turn off completely and drift down before they turn on full blast again. You might get better results with an ordinary cheap wok over your stove; at least you'll have an easier time keeping a consistent temperature.
- You can get a rice pot with a timer function and brown rice setting for about $40. If you haven't already got one, and you're making a lot of rice, it's worth it. Prepare it the night before, set it to kick off maybe 30 minutes before you wake up the next morning, and you're ready to go. Plus, it's a really nice smell to wake up to.

e: If you're looking for something more hands-off, slow cookers are extremely versatile. There's basically no end to the varieties of chilis, stews, braises, etc. You can do a big batch of one recipe on the weekend and portion it out for the rest of the week, or set it up at night and it's ready the next morning (which also means that you can do something different every few days).

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 5, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Thanks for all the food ideas. I passed them along to my wife. It's always been a struggle for her because I wake up full of energy and able to eat anything and she wakes up feeling like death with anything sugary or involving eggs making her feel nauseous.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've been making milanesa recently, and the breading always ends up falling off real easily once it's done cooking. What's the secret to a good breading? I do the usual flour->egg->crumbs process and it works well up until I cut into the meat.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I've been making milanesa recently, and the breading always ends up falling off real easily once it's done cooking. What's the secret to a good breading? I do the usual flour->egg->crumbs process and it works well up until I cut into the meat.

Half the time I forget to dry the chicken when I make francaise, and the breading doesn't stick well at all, it's like a lemony breading jacket that just slides off. Do you pat the meat with a paper towel before you bread it?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

After you dredge in flour let the meat sit for a little while, say 15 minutes or so, that lets the flour hydrate and bond with the meat better and should let you form a better crust. Also thin the egg with a bit of water.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Also helps to disturb the surface of the meat, either by beating it with the spiky side of the meat mallet, or poking it a bunch of times with a knife.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Also helps to disturb the surface of the meat, either by beating it with the spiky side of the meat mallet, or poking it a bunch of times with a knife.

Really get in there and hurt its feelings. Show it who's boss.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I want to add potatoes to curry and I believe I need to parboil them first.

Will adding them to cold water, bringing that to a boil and letting it cook for 10 minutes work? How can I tell if they're ready to be added? Thanks.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Cloks posted:

I want to add potatoes to curry and I believe I need to parboil them first.

Will adding them to cold water, bringing that to a boil and letting it cook for 10 minutes work? How can I tell if they're ready to be added? Thanks.

You can tell they are done if you can insert a paring knife into them easily. No resistance.

Are you peeling/dicing them first? Are these russets or red/yellow/white potatoes? You might be able to pop them into the microwave for a few minutes to soften them up instead of boiling. At least that way you don't have to put a whole pot of water on a boil. One less pot to clean, saves a little time...

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CzarChasm posted:

You can tell they are done if you can insert a paring knife into them easily. No resistance.

Are you peeling/dicing them first? Are these russets or red/yellow/white potatoes? You might be able to pop them into the microwave for a few minutes to soften them up instead of boiling. At least that way you don't have to put a whole pot of water on a boil. One less pot to clean, saves a little time...

Russet potatoes that I'll be cutting into half inch chunks. I don't have a microwave, sadly.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Looking for a non-stick frying pan recommendation. I must have gone through three new ones over the last 10 years from Bed Bath and Beyond, but eggs would stick on them unless I vigorously scrambled non-stop. During a recent trip, I had the pleasure of using a frying pan that looked like it was from the 50s, but there was zero sticking. It was textured (the pan was not flat, but ribbed) if that means anything.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Cloks posted:

Russet potatoes that I'll be cutting into half inch chunks. I don't have a microwave, sadly.

Put some vinegar and salt in the water that you cook them in. The vinegar will help them keep their shape by preventing the pectin from breaking down, and the salt will make them more flavorful. It also helps to start them in cold water, since the heat takes time to spread through the chunk of potato.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

There are a ton of food blogs out there. Which ones are your favorite? And which ones do you actually make recipes from?

Maangchi is great for korean food and has videos for every recipes. If you like kimchi, it's a good place to find more things to do with it.

https://www.maangchi.com/

e: and if nothing else it will probably make you go out and get some korean hot pepper paste (gochujang) which is great even as just a condiment.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 6, 2017

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

theHUNGERian posted:

Looking for a non-stick frying pan recommendation. I must have gone through three new ones over the last 10 years from Bed Bath and Beyond, but eggs would stick on them unless I vigorously scrambled non-stop. During a recent trip, I had the pleasure of using a frying pan that looked like it was from the 50s, but there was zero sticking. It was textured (the pan was not flat, but ribbed) if that means anything.

Really, just buy whatever. Nonstick coatings are not made to last and after a couple years even the nicest, most expensive one is going to begin failing. They are a wear item and should be purchased accordingly.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Mordiceius posted:

Thanks for all the food ideas. I passed them along to my wife. It's always been a struggle for her because I wake up full of energy and able to eat anything and she wakes up feeling like death with anything sugary or involving eggs making her feel nauseous.

My wife is much the same, so we had an allergy test done. Turns out she is a tiny tiny tiny amount allergic to egg whites. Baked goods are fine, homemade pasta and mayo, fast food breakfast sandwiches with whatever they use as eggs. But poached, boiled, fried, scrambled, omelet etc are out. As is a flu shot. We were told that trying eggs other than standard hen could bring these back to the table, but haven't been able to try them yet.

Breakfasts have become mostly fruit, with mushrooms on toast, hashes, bacon sandwiches, congee (with egg yolk rather than whole egg being stirred in) happening on the weekends. I've also made a pseudo-carbonara with squash puree standing in for the egg.

Getting the allergy test has meant we were able to pinpoint the cause of the nausea and knowing is better than supposing.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

theHUNGERian posted:

I have a crap stovetop so I just buy ~$10 super basic ones from Ikea. Like Cavenagh said expect to replace them as soon as the teflon starts to flake. Don't use metal utensils on them, don't get the pans smoking hot til you put stuff in them, only clean them with sponges or soft cloths. You get those sponges with the green rough stuff on the back which are all like "TEFLON SAFE". They are loving lying to you. Only use sponges or soft cloths.

If you're like "But I want to spend money for something good" then get a cast iron frypan, season that sucker and learn to love it.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

If you do feel like spending a bunch on a non-stick, my parents got me a Scanpan for Christmas and it is easily the best non-stick pan I've ever used. You can get it super hot and use metal tools on it like cast-iron but it can go in the dish washer. I've only had it for a few months though, so not sure how long it'll hold up.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

snyprmag posted:

If you do feel like spending a bunch on a non-stick, my parents got me a Scanpan for Christmas and it is easily the best non-stick pan I've ever used. You can get it super hot and use metal tools on it like cast-iron but it can go in the dish washer. I've only had it for a few months though, so not sure how long it'll hold up.

I had a Scanpan skillet for a few years and it didn't hold up any better than Tfal does. Good for a couple years, then the coating wears off and sticky spots appear.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I don't really care as long as they last 3 or so years. A tfal pan is like twenty bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Where do you get replacement wires for cheese slicers? I have one that's about 6" x 8" with no identifying labels or marks, just a slab of marble with a hinged slicer bow thing. It came with 3 spare wires and the last one just popped. Is there a standard size for these things? Are you supposed to make your own wires? Do I need to go digging through years of Amazon purchases to see if the manufacturer sells spares (if they even still exist)?